6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM

suspension

My next post is about my suspension. My max's butt sits really low, and the front is really high. Theres nothing in the trunk but the floor mats. So, arethe rear struts shot or are the front springs stretched? I.D.K. Theres nothing visually broken. Right now she looks like a really new and nice,,,um, hoopty. lol
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 AM

Chances are they are shot. How many miles on your car?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by cornfedmax
My next post is about my suspension. My max's butt sits really low, and the front is really high. Theres nothing in the trunk but the floor mats. So, arethe rear struts shot or are the front springs stretched? I.D.K. Theres nothing visually broken. Right now she looks like a really new and nice,,,um, hoopty. lol
That's naturally how the maxima or any other cars are. Because the engine sits in the front the suspension was designed in a way to support the engine weight. If you want to get rid of that gap like everyone else you have to sway to lowering springs and possibly performance shocks and struts. There's a cheap way to do it and there's a right way to do it. A lot of guys will tell you go coilovers but the Maxima is just too heavy, it will look good but it will be a very uncomfortable ride after a few months. The real coilovers with dampeners will run you $800 and up, plus a camber kit and alignment. I have a straight drop with performance shocks and I have no complaints. Good luck man
Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM
KC's FINEST

Try adding one of my rsb's if you add any aftermarket pieces.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Jmax, what kind of performance shocks are you riding?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidEliteMax
Jmax, what kind of performance shocks are you riding?
I'm rolling on Canuck straight drop lowering springs, 1.5" in the front and 0.5" in the rear and KYB GR-2 shocks/struts. The ride compliments my 22's, 17's, and 18's without having to worry about adjusting the height
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 PM

My main issue with dropping her down is that this is my fiance's car, but after hours of begging and feet rubbing, I got the go-ahead to beef up the max. However, she hates riding in my subi. Fully adjustable tiens. Of course I have that set up for auto cross. Sum it up? How much comfort will be lost by upgrading? I definately want to do the straight drop with new struts, but I don't want an absolute teeth chattering ride (or be on the receiving end of my girls rage).
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM

I agree with mrjasonlyrics. For some reason, all Maxima's (factory - new or not) seemed to have a little lift in the front and a very minor drop in the rear. I noticed it with the 4th Gen, 5th Gen and 6th Gen....I can't really notice it on the 7th Gen. But I believe it's natural. I'm looking at mines and it seems the same. Always been like that since new actually. Maybe it pregressivly sinks as time goes on (mileage/age). But I'd say it's completely natural. Car design makes it more pronounce on certain vehicles than others.

By the way, it may be me but everytime I look at Camrys' it seems like the opposite. As if all Engine weight is on front suspension.