6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Keep an eye on your aftermarket sway bar end links

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM

Keep an eye on your aftermarket sway bar end links

I had a sway bar end link break/come loose recently, luckily I replaced it for the stockers before it tore up the CV joint boot or prevented me from turning etc. If yours are making any popping sounds it's probably time to change them.

Name:  Link_zps674d2685.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  57.5 KB
Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 AM

http://my6thgen.org/f269/endlinks-co...ingline-16300/
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 AM

Glad you found it in time and replaced it.

If my guess is right, those are the racingline endlinks for the front of your car. Racingline said somewhere in a thread that if you do follow the instructions very well to install, you should never have a problems with it. Especially as there are some people who have installed it and never had a problem, while some have had problems. Apparently, if it fails it means you might have not installed it too well. How long have you had it on your car before this problem?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Another well marketed modification that I won't waste my money to buy. Members claim that it adds stability to you suspension, why do I need to spend couple hundred for a little stability for daily driving? Like this will "contribute" when you have really low suspension, front strut tower bar, rear strut tower bar and you go on circuits. It cost more money to get it for a "little" stability. Backlash to this is now you have to get new sway bar linkages, I assume you're gonna take off both sides because the other side may go at any point, pay a mechanic to install it, and do an alignment, oh yes it's recommended an alignment anytime you mess with the front suspension because you'll have uneven tire wear.

But it's good you caught it and it didn't cost you more problems

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 04-14-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by QwikKota
I had a sway bar end link break/come loose recently, luckily I replaced it for the stockers before it tore up the CV joint boot or prevented me from turning etc. If yours are making any popping sounds it's probably time to change them.
Damn, are those the Racingline ones? How old are they? They do look like the Racinglines, just without the black anodizing.

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Another well marketed modification that I won't waste my money to buy. Members claim that it adds stability to you suspension, why do I need to spend couple hundred for a little stability for daily driving? Like this will "contribute" when you have really low suspension, front strut tower bar, rear strut tower bar and you go on circuits. It cost more money to get it for a "little" stability. Backlash to this is now you have to get new sway bar linkages, I assume you're gonna take off both sides because the other side may go at any point, pay a mechanic to install it, and do an alignment, oh yes it's recommended an alignment anytime you mess with the front suspension because you'll have uneven tire wear.

But it's good you caught it and it didn't cost you more problems
This is from a post I made about adjustable end links on the other org...

"when you lower the car you add pre-load to the sway bars, front and rear. Simply replacing the endlinks with thicker ones doesn't solve that issue as those endlinks are still the same length, and it's the length of the endlink that needs to change. The specific issue I was trying to fix was the binding of the front endlinks, an extreme annoyance when I'm making turns. Since my car is so low, there's a LOT of pre-load on the front sway, and just using a thicker endlink won't fix that. Here is a picture taken from ナギサオ−ト調整式スタビライザーリンク (it's a Japanese website).

Even if you don't understand the captions, the pictures are pretty self-explanatory. The first picture is of an OEM front suspension. Notice the position of the sway bar and the endlink, where the sway bar is designed to be. The second picture is of an aftermarket lowering suspension and OEM endlinks. Notice how the sway bar is already being pulled up (adding pre-load), removing it from it's natural state. The third picture is of the same aftermarket lowering suspension now with extended (adjustable) endlinks. Now the sway bar is back to it's natural state, removing any sort of pre-load.

That's why adjustable endlinks are needed. If you're lowered, replacing your endlinks with OEM replacements doesn't solve the issue of pre-load on the sway bars. They may or may not handle the pre-load better, but it doesn't address the actual issue. Of course it depends on how much you're lowered, but if you want your sway bars to function exactly how they're supposed to, then you should definitely consider adjustable endlinks."

I don't think they're "well marketed modifications", in fact I don't even think they're marketed at all. I learned about their use from talking to someone who does a lot of suspension work. If it was marketed this way I would've knew from the get-go that I needed these, but this kind of information just isn't out there.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

all parts wear out over time. Granted, if installed properly stabilizer links will last a long time but they will still wear out after use.