6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New OEM Valve Body Issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM

New OEM Valve Body Issues!!!

Code P0762

Definition:
Solenoid valve "c" stuck on
Probable cause:
1-Transmission hydraulic control fault
2-Shift solenoid valve C faulty

I had no codes with the old VB or any issues except the hard shifts when hot and soft shifts when cold.

Nissan sent me the first 8Y00B OEM VB and it was damaged when I got it from UPS. I called and they 2 day airmailed out another one. They didn't have one at there location, so they drove to they closest Nissan shop to pick up the 2nd VB. I opened this new package, which was packed NICE. Everything looked fine. The VB came complete with all the solenoids installed. All I had to do was swap the old for the new. Double checked the wires, made sure the shift lever was in place, bolted everything back on, no leaks and put 3.5 quarts of Nissan matic-k in...So do you guys think that I did something bad with the install?

Also While driving to get the code pulled it shifted 1-3 kind of rough and eventually would get to 4th(or maybe 5th) after staying in 3rd (2500 rpm for close to a minute) but it would shifted from 3rd wildly. Like a hard shift...but different. Once I left the auto store after the code was pulled the Max started, RPMs dropped and it almost died. Then the RPMs went back to normal and I drove home. Still with the same kind of shifting.

This is what I have found so far. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2004/AT.pdf Once this PDF is open go to page AT-423, it talks about code P0762 (the code I got pulled) Solenoid valve C stuck on. It states that it is in fail safe mode 2 also ECM restricts engine torque to prevent the clutch from slipping. Then on the next page AT-424 it talks about all the fail safe modes... This is where I get confused. Does anyone on this forum know what all these fail safes are talking about? I am not a noob when it comes to working on vehicles, but this is way above my head. The link I provided show many reasons a valve can stick. The one that stuck out to me was old dirty matic-k...The Max had 10,000 miles from me on it, and 80,000 total. IDK if the fluid ever was changed and all I did was add 3.5 qt of new fluid after install...What are my first/cheapest options? Would a tranny flush unclog a stuck valve? I have tried to post all the info one needs to look at what I was reading. Hope y'all can help me. Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Nobody has any help for this issue?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 AM

at this point I think I would bring the car to nissan
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 AM

I had a 2007 Maxima that was giving me a lot of codes from the tranny: P0845, P0840, P1777. The transmission was jerking and the dashboard shift indicator didn't show "P" or "N". I spent two days troubleshooting trying to figure out this problem. I opened the oil pan on the transmission to see if there was any pieces of metal inside. I removed the battery stand and checked the complete wireloom to the transmission, checked fuses, etc...etc..The only thing left to do was to try another TCM (Transmission computer). A lot of people told me I'll be just wasting my time and that "those things never go bad." Anyway, I tracked one down and swapped it in. Soon as I turned the car on the Shift indicator showed "P", so thats when I knew it worked. Transmission shifted without jerking and the problem was solved.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Fixed oem vb

Here was the problem. http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...semblypic4.png
There are 5 Shift solenoid valves A,B,C,D,E and 3 Pressure control solenoid valves A,B,C
The code P0762 was saying that (shift solenoid valve "c" was stuck on). After researching where these valves were, I undid all my VB work and took apart the shift solenoid "c" on the SECOND VB that courtesy Nissan sent me to find that this valve was broken!!!! I went to the FIRST VB They sent me (which came broken on arrival as well) and swapped the broken "c" valve for the non broken valve. Put everything back together and the Max shifts like butter!!! I finally have it running great! NOW here is the bone that I have to pick....I understand that crap happens when shipping sometimes and stuff gets broken. But twice? The first VB that they mailed me had a Pressure Control Valve that was snapped off, the second had a broken shift solenoid valve, the damage looked more like some failure than something caused by getting tossed around by UPS... They said that they opened the 2nd VB before shipping to make sure nothing was broken, but I think that they send me a returned "2nd" VB that someone else already had issues with. For almost $1000 I should not have had to pick and pull parts from two supposedly new OEM VB's to make one work. I am very upset with Courtesy Nissan. I was going to send them my old VB core for being great with fixing 1st VB issue...but now I am keeping it since I ordered the VB before the new core charge rule that they made...That being said, it is hard to be upset when I have a beautifully shifting Maxima now!