6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rotors and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 PM

Rotors and brakes

Looking to get some real good breaks and rotors
Nothing to crazy like off the wall brembo but something sporty and high performance
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM

You need Brakes not Breaks. Check out R1 rotors and and EBC brake pads.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM

this has to be the worst thread here in a long time.
go to your local auto parts store and get brakes.... not breaks.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
this has to be the worst thread here in a long time.
go to your local auto parts store and get brakes.... not breaks.
Lol . Maxima owners you have to love them.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM

I have ebc redstuff for the 6th gens or Wilwood BBK for sale. Let me know.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 AM

EBC slotted rotors and redstuff pads
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanks btw no need to get smart about the hole " break" thing
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Just messing with you brother, it's nothing but love here. I got a deal on Ebay last summer drilled rotors and ceramic pads for $175 the seller was Silverstone from Canada. They work fine no issues at all.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM

Those are EBC rotors
Old 04-27-2013, 06:05 AM

Honestly, I would never buy car parts on ebay again. I don't care how they advertise it.
I bought a full front end kit from a reputable ebay seller that sells thousands, and it was a big mistake. POS stuff. one ball joint went bad in 3 months, one stab bar link broke after 4..... obviously he never heard of other problems before, must be me.
Car drove so bad with that ****. Replaced with MOOG links, made a HUGE difference.
Now, do I want to do the job all over again and replace everything else again? not really.
All that's left now is control arm incl ball joints, so far they did not fail, but I don't trust those... so checking frequently.

personally, I would buy oem quality brakes from a local shop.
I just bought ate premium rotors. They were damn nice and heavier than the rotors that were on the car before. Nice chunk of metal.
I use hawk hps pads, I love them but they dust alot.
Considering ceramic next time, but ceramics brake less, so I might keep the hps.

Don't cheap on brakes. And personally, I would not go for drilled or slotted, they are unsafe
Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 PM

i just went with off the shelf rotors from local stores. but got hawk hps pads all around g35 rear calipers/rotors and stainless lines. definitely a huge improvement in bite and overall a cheap upgrade compared to over the top wildwoods and whatnot
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM

Honestly, I would never buy car parts on ebay again. I don't care how they advertise it.
I bought a full front end kit from a reputable ebay seller that sells thousands, and it was a big mistake. POS stuff. one ball joint went bad in 3 months, one stab bar link broke after 4..... obviously he never heard of other problems before, must be me.
Car drove so bad with that ****. Replaced with MOOG links, made a HUGE difference.
Now, do I want to do the job all over again and replace everything else again? not really.
All that's left now is control arm incl ball joints, so far they did not fail, but I don't trust those... so checking frequently.

personally, I would buy oem quality brakes from a local shop.
I just bought ate premium rotors. They were damn nice and heavier than the rotors that were on the car before. Nice chunk of metal.
I use hawk hps pads, I love them but they dust alot.
Considering ceramic next time, but ceramics brake less, so I might keep the hps.

Don't cheap on brakes. And personally, I would not go for drilled or slotted, they are unsafe
Lol, why are drilled or sloted brake rotors unsafe.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM

"Lol, why are drilled or sloted brake rotors unsafe."

because they weaken the metal, cause weak spots where it could fracture, and reduce the weight and therefore the capacity to take heat.

Not here to have an argument over it, google it. drilled is worse, slotted is in between

Have you ever seen a formula one with slotted or drilled rotors? I have not. That's kind of weird since those cars have everything that's best on a car, and they have plain rotors. So that must be best.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

give him a break over the breaks
Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"Lol, why are drilled or sloted brake rotors unsafe."

because they weaken the metal, cause weak spots where it could fracture, and reduce the weight and therefore the capacity to take heat.

Not here to have an argument over it, google it. drilled is worse, slotted is in between

Have you ever seen a formula one with slotted or drilled rotors? I have not. That's kind of weird since those cars have everything that's best on a car, and they have plain rotors. So that must be best.

F1 cars has plain rotors? Nahhh man, F1 cars uses carbon fibre rotors, definitely nothing plain about those.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM

have you seen any slots or holes in those? I have not.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 AM

You are both correct in saying that they are Carbon Ceramic Plain (non-slotted/drilled). My dad worked for Champ Car, and now works for Grand-Am and we've been talking about this for the last few years. He said most of the race cars are either Carbon Ceramic Plain or Carbon Ceramic Slotted rotors... obviously all with 4/6/8 piston calipers. So we've been paying attention to the higher end cars from the factory, some come with Drilled rotors, some come with Slotted and some come with Drilled & Slotted.

I've noticed through reading forum posts on all different makes/models that the higher end rotors (multi-piece/carbon) tend to come drilled where as the lower end are either plain or slotted. From what I can tell this has to do with the lower end rotors being prone to cracking due to more heat (whether it be the type of metal used retains it or the car has less/no cooling for the brakes). So in my opinion I'd say due to our price point/quality of metal used for our cars I'd stick with plain or slotted rotors. I've seen dimpled rotors as well and those shouldn't crack since the holes aren't drilled all the way through.

Just my $0.02