6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

new 05 se owner with TONS of issues, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

new 05 se owner with TONS of issues, help needed

Hey everyone , I just purchased a project maxima today and it has alot of issues and i am stumped, i have been googling for a while and need some more answers. Im not new to vq world as my main car is a 03 g35 coupe. Anyways here goes, sorry for the long post but I need advice.

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE , 111k miles Automatic.

Car was in an accident about 5 months ago, accident was to the drivers side right in the middle of the front and rear doors. Car has been parked since then.

I went today to look at the car. It didnt have a battery in it. Bought a battery and installed it. Car started right up.

Car will idle all day, smooth and nicely. Doesnt get hot, or miss or anything.

However, airbag, ses light are on.

When you first turn on car and if you rev it a little bit, the rpm's will climb, and all is normal, but that only lasts for a couple seconds.

Then the brake light comes on and then the car doesnt respond to the gas pedal. Its like it doesnt even know you are pressing it. If you turn off car and restart , you can rev again for a couple seconds, then brake light comes on and it doesnt respond to the pedal.

Once in a while it will last long enough to attempt to move it in gear. In reverse it moves somewhat with almost a normal power feel to it. But in drive it barley will move, almost like trans is slipping, but the rpm's don't go up.

From my research it seems like maybe alternator is bad and going into limp mode, because it's running on battery alone. I will pull alternator tomorrow and get it tested. But I have more issues........

The headlights, radio, display screen, ac , ac controls, wipers, all do not function....... could this be alternator related as well? Any help would be greatly appreaciated, thank you.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by g35coupe
Hey everyone , I just purchased a project maxima today and it has alot of issues and i am stumped, i have been googling for a while and need some more answers. Im not new to vq world as my main car is a 03 g35 coupe. Anyways here goes, sorry for the long post but I need advice.

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE , 111k miles Automatic.

Car was in an accident about 5 months ago, accident was to the drivers side right in the middle of the front and rear doors. Car has been parked since then.

I went today to look at the car. It didnt have a battery in it. Bought a battery and installed it. Car started right up.

Car will idle all day, smooth and nicely. Doesnt get hot, or miss or anything.

However, airbag, ses light are on.

When you first turn on car and if you rev it a little bit, the rpm's will climb, and all is normal, but that only lasts for a couple seconds.

Then the brake light comes on and then the car doesnt respond to the gas pedal. Its like it doesnt even know you are pressing it. If you turn off car and restart , you can rev again for a couple seconds, then brake light comes on and it doesnt respond to the pedal.

Once in a while it will last long enough to attempt to move it in gear. In reverse it moves somewhat with almost a normal power feel to it. But in drive it barley will move, almost like trans is slipping, but the rpm's don't go up.

From my research it seems like maybe alternator is bad and going into limp mode, because it's running on battery alone. I will pull alternator tomorrow and get it tested. But I have more issues........

The headlights, radio, display screen, ac , ac controls, wipers, all do not function....... could this be alternator related as well? Any help would be greatly appreaciated, thank you.
have you scanned for the codes pertaining to the ses light? id doubt a alternator would cause a car to go into limp mode..id imagine its bad, however im not sure that would cause a "go nowhere" condition. scan for the engine codes. we can go from there. the airbag light is probably from a sensor being tripped from the impact, so id suggest a scan to see what codes hiding there. lmk what u find
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will be pulling codes tomorrow and checking alternator
Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok guys I have had a pretty productive morning. Got the codes pulled and here is what was there when i got to the car this morning.

P1148
P1168
U1000
P1065
P1031
P1051
P0444

and then a repeat of those codes with (PD) next to them.

I also went fuse hunting, both under drivers dash and pass side engine bay, I found about 10 blown fuses and 2 missing fuses. Remember I had alot of stuff not working.

Under the hood, the wipers fuse and AT Cont fuse , were both blown, I replaced.

Under drivers dash had a bunch of blown fuses and 2 missing, I replaced blown and installed the 2 missing, The missing ones were for the blower- turns out it blows at full speed all the time weather ac on or not- I figure blower motor resistor is the culprit.

So now.... radio works, display works, ac works but blows on high all the time, wipers work, steering wheel controls work, exterior lights are iffy- some work some dont -- i assume alot of blown bulbs, cluster works with the exception of the light that shows what gear you are in.

Back to the matter at hand.... So now the car starts and runs fine at idle, you can rev the rpms in park or neutral and it responds accordingly. Always.

However, when put in reverse or drive it will not go over 2100 rpms or so. In reverse it goes at a normal reverse speed, but like i said it wont go over 2100 rpms, in drive its better than yesterday but still slow moving and only goes to 2100 rpms.

I cleared codes did some resets, idle was 1k, now its 750. and retested, codes now are

P1148
P1168
U1000
P1031
P1051

so its saying all o2's are bad? Still stumped, but in better shape than yesterday, any clues???

also pulled battery cable off while running, car stayed running so alt is good
Old 08-01-2013, 12:28 PM

That U1000 could be causing your 4 other codes. The service manual says "If DTC U1000 or U1001 is displayed with other DTC, first perform the trouble diagnosis for DTC U1000,
U1001." I have a firm belief based on what you have already told us that it is the 15amp fuses for the sensors. U1000 is a communications code that means they are not talking. without the power, you can get that code. Check the third fuse box and see if there are any blown or missing fuses.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

where is a third fuse box? I went through the box under drivers dash, and one on passenger side by windshield washer fluid cap
Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i found the 3rd fuse box, all was good in there. the two o2 fuses are both good, one is under the hood and one is under the dash panel. both 15a fuses , both are good, i even switched them with known good working fuses.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

not sure if it's relevant or not, but no seats or carpet are in the car, its been stripped inside for repair, dash and center console are there , but thats it no seats or carpet and seat belts are hanging not bolted in at bottom. Not sure if that would cause a ground issue, i doubt it, but worth noting. I also went back to car this afternoon and checked every fuse in all 3 fuse boxes, and they are fine now. and i pulled the bar on the dash mount , left side , (4) 12mm nuts, scraped paint and remounted bar. in case of poor ground connection. didnt help
Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 PM

it is either the sensors, cabling, or the ecu.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 AM

I think the car has many issues that are beyond the knowledge of the average sunday mechanic. Salvaged cars are always a risk of hard to diagnose issues.
I can't really help on that, I wish you good luck.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:04 PM

looking at your U1000 code, it says to check the wiring from the sensors to the ecu, I can give you a copy of the pdf to sift through if you'd like. My suggestion is since you can drive it and you probably don't have the consult II diagnostics tool, to take it to nissan and let them diagnose it. Then post results on here and we can work with that to help you.