6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

p0021 and p1135 codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

p0021 and p1135 codes

Hey fellas, needed some help here. I'll try to simplify as best I can:

June 2013--Bought the car used from private seller with engine code p1444 code on

Late September 2013--Changed the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve. Cleared the code manually but it immediately came right back on after driving around a little.

October 19—Seafoamed via intake, crankcase and gas tank

October 29th—After driving about 100-150 miles after the seafoam, go for an oil change, and AS I’m pulling up to the oil change shop (before they even change the oil), the engine stutters, stalls, and dies. Does the same thing a few times again before it stays on for good without any problems. Anyways, I get the oil changed and later that day check the engine codes and get the same old p1444 PLUS a p0335 code (Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit). It feels almost like a clogged fuel filter but as you guys know there’s a permanent fuel filter in this car and they don’t need replacing.

November 3rd—Car continues to stall and die a few times in between Oct 29 and Nov 3 at first at low RPMs with my foot off the gas only but later also with my foot on the gas at low speeds in the middle of the road. I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor with a replacement part with lifetime warranty from AutoZone and reset the engine codes. The car still doesn’t feel right. After driving around a little while (about 6-8 miles), get 2 new codes with the old ones gone—they are p1135 (Intake Valve Timing Control Bank 2 ) and p0021 ("A" Camshaft Position--Timing Over--Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)).

What should I do? It hasn't stalled on me yet, but then again, I haven't driven it all that much after changing the CPS...

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Possibly bad Cat Converters + O2 Sensors, or Throttle Body?????
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Les7311
Possibly bad Cat Converters + O2 Sensors, or Throttle Body?????
Umm No..... Take the CSP sensor back to Autozone and tell them you didn't need it after all. Clean it up real nice and hopefully they take it with no questions asked. Then go to Nissan or Online and order an OEM NISSAN CSP sensor. This sounds crazy, but the ones from Autozone do not work on this car. Many guys have tried buying them and replacing them and have this same issue. I also recommend getting both CSP sensors and replacing them both at the same time. Like changing brake pads, do them at the same time if possible. If you are short on cash just replace the one needed, the other will go in time.

http://engine-codes.com/p1444_nissan.html
As for this problem, sounds like you need to have the EVAP system cleaned. There are procedures for this on the net, not specific to this year maxima that can help guide you through what needs to be done.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Umm No..... Take the CSP sensor back to Autozone and tell them you didn't need it after all. Clean it up real nice and hopefully they take it with no questions asked. Then go to Nissan or Online and order an OEM NISSAN CSP sensor. This sounds crazy, but the ones from Autozone do not work on this car. Many guys have tried buying them and replacing them and have this same issue. I also recommend getting both CSP sensors and replacing them both at the same time. Like changing brake pads, do them at the same time if possible. If you are short on cash just replace the one needed, the other will go in time.

http://engine-codes.com/p1444_nissan.html
As for this problem, sounds like you need to have the EVAP system cleaned. There are procedures for this on the net, not specific to this year maxima that can help guide you through what needs to be done.
hm, interesting...i actually heard that ebay ones don't work but didn't seem to think the autozone ones would have troubles too. Courtesy Nissan always has decent prices on genuine nissan parts so I'll order from them. As far as replacing the other one too, I looked around but had a hard time finding it...do you have a diagram or something that shows where it is located?

Also, do you think that the seafoam had anything to do with these sensors going bad?

Thanks

Last edited by acassim1; 11-04-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM

That is a possibility. Seafoam breaks down sludge and removes moisture. I use Seafoam quite a bit and this hasn't caused my CSP sensors to fail. Over time they will expand and contract because they are made of plastic and eventually oil, which is mixed with gas, will seep in and cause issues.
The other sensor is located on the drivers side of the block right below the valve cover. one is straight and the other is L shaped. I will see if I can find the diagram.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ed-advice.html
Scroll through the first page and the diagram is toward the bottom.