6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

TCS & ABS Problems '05 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014 | 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was hoping some one could help me. Two years ago I had issues with my ABS. I took it into my dealer who said my ABS actuator needed to be replaced for something like $3,700. I found this a little much and decided to disconnect a sensor to disable the actuator. The TCS, ABS and hand brake lights stayed on but the brakes worked fine.
Yesterday the traction control went haywire and although the engine ran fine, when I pushed the accelerator the car would cruise along at 1 or 2 miles per hour.
I managed to get it to the dealer who told me that my rear hubs and bearings and possible the sensors would have to be replaced at a cost of $1600. And, if the actuator is defective that would cost another $2,100. I'm a little frustrated with the varying answers I'm getting from the dealer at a cost of $100 per diagnostic. I also can't really afford the expense of fixing these systems.
My question is this, is there a way to safely disable the TCS and drive the car without it? (Having driven half my life without TCS or ABS I don't feel I really need them).
Old 03-09-2014 | 12:32 PM

ty to remove and clean all 4 sensors and sensor "wheels"
They are often full of gunk.

Often solves the issues.
Old 03-10-2014 | 05:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What if I just disconnected the sensors? Would that disable the TCS and ABS and enable me to drive the car safely without these systems?
Old 03-11-2014 | 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

TCS/ABS issues update

You guys are going to love this. My Nissan dealer told me that my traction control system was causing my car to not accelerate when I pressed the accelerator. He said that the sensors were probably clogged and not functioning properly. At one point I told him that my ABS was disabled, and asked if he could just disable the TCS system as well (I didn't know that they used the same sensors/system). He said it couldn't be done and insisted that I had to change my hubs and bearings and clean and possibly replace the sensors. After that maybe the actuator had to be replaced as well. Big bucks!!
So I thought about it for a couple of days and took it in to a local mechanic that I trust. I told him the same thing and he figured out that since the TCS/ABS sensors were disconnected there was no way it would affect acceleration. The error code was P2135 and he narrowed down to the cause to the accelerator pedal. He took it out, cleaned the connectors, applied some connector enhancer and it solved the problem.
So let's review, dealer solution with replacement of the ABS actuator = approx. $3700 plus throttle chamber replacement $600 = $4300. Local mechanic charged me $0. I was so happy I had him replace my hubs and bearings anyway at a cost of 2/3's what the dealer wanted to charge me.
Lesson learned beware of dealer service recommendations.
Old 03-18-2014 | 11:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slebouti
You guys are going to love this. My Nissan dealer told me that my traction control system was causing my car to not accelerate when I pressed the accelerator. He said that the sensors were probably clogged and not functioning properly. At one point I told him that my ABS was disabled, and asked if he could just disable the TCS system as well (I didn't know that they used the same sensors/system). He said it couldn't be done and insisted that I had to change my hubs and bearings and clean and possibly replace the sensors. After that maybe the actuator had to be replaced as well. Big bucks!!
So I thought about it for a couple of days and took it in to a local mechanic that I trust. I told him the same thing and he figured out that since the TCS/ABS sensors were disconnected there was no way it would affect acceleration. The error code was P2135 and he narrowed down to the cause to the accelerator pedal. He took it out, cleaned the connectors, applied some connector enhancer and it solved the problem.
So let's review, dealer solution with replacement of the ABS actuator = approx. $3700 plus throttle chamber replacement $600 = $4300. Local mechanic charged me $0. I was so happy I had him replace my hubs and bearings anyway at a cost of 2/3's what the dealer wanted to charge me.
My slip and tcs lights are coming after I drive about 30 miles I sense lack of power and taking off is a joke I love this car but not enough to sink thousands help
Old 06-25-2014 | 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slebouti
so what did your local mechanic do? left the TCS/ABS sensors disconnected?