6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

To sell or not to sell

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 AM

To sell or not to sell

05 6 speed, 114,000 miles. Has everything but nav and the elite package. I've had it a little over 4 years and other than routine maintenance I've had no trouble other than the blower motor resistor going bad. But, it's not without it's problems now. Check engine has been on for a month because I know the converters are junk (have cattman headers sitting in my basement), the transmission leaks slowly, engine uses a quart of oil in roughly 1,500 miles and I'm pretty sure it needs motor mounts. Also, if I were to keep it, I'd get rid of the damn KYB struts and get something that doesn't knock my fillings out when I hit a bump. Otherwise, everything works, but it looks like a typical 100,000 mile car. Front bumper has a lot of road rash on it, driver's seat and passenger seat have a good bit of wear, but there's no rust, dents, and it's never been in an accident. How do you decide when it's time to "move on"?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 AM

Keep it unless you want something else.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by jasoneon
How do you decide when it's time to "move on"?
When you can afford it. Stop complaining and fix the little issues that bug you yourself and you'll love the car again. Or you should go buy a shiny new car and then complain about how broke you are.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 PM

05 6 speed, 114,000 miles. Has everything but nav and the elite package. I've had it a little over 4 years and other than routine maintenance I've had no trouble other than the blower motor resistor going bad. But, it's not without it's problems now. Check engine has been on for a month because I know the converters are junk (have cattman headers sitting in my basement), the transmission leaks slowly, engine uses a quart of oil in roughly 1,500 miles and I'm pretty sure it needs motor mounts. Also, if I were to keep it, I'd get rid of the damn KYB struts and get something that doesn't knock my fillings out when I hit a bump. Otherwise, everything works, but it looks like a typical 100,000 mile car. Front bumper has a lot of road rash on it, driver's seat and passenger seat have a good bit of wear, but there's no rust, dents, and it's never been in an accident. How do you decide when it's time to "move on"?
6-speeds are hard to find. This year was the last they made them. In a sense you have a pretty rare maxima. Install the headers, have the transmission leak looked at. Probably a seal needing repaired. As for the oil, use a thicker oil. I use 15w50 Mobile 1. Don't have that problem anymore. Used to go through 1 quart every 3k miles on 5w30. Also reduces the engine noise a lot. Get a detail done on the inside. Motor mounts are cake to replace, minus the back mount. Get them off ebay or from a junk yard. New ones are expensive. Do the work yourself and save a ton of money.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 AM

Honestly our car isn't the most reliable. I have an oil leak i am trying to track down. I also have starting problems all the time. The Maxima is probably the fastest 4 door family sedan for the best price. They are great cars when they are healthy but when that time comes all the problems pile on top of each other. I love and hate my car sometimes. But i wouldn't give her up for anything. Its personal preference but if you don't want those headers i will take them off your hands for a fair price.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by jmatusko
Honestly our car isn't the most reliable.
: