6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Infiniti i35 vs Maxima---- Same Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM
acw

Infiniti i35 vs Maxima---- Same Motor?

Hey Buds,

I just bought a 2003 Infiniti I35 in decent condition with low mileage.

My particular ISSUE is, the car misses when stopped at a Red Light. It almost feels like a spark plug is going bad, but I HAD a test done at ADVANCED auto and they can back with the P01800 code error. The Check Engine Light goes on...and i'm pretty sure the SOLENOID Valve Circuit is the issue.

I was thinking and read on some other forum where a Guy grabbed one from a salvaged Altima, and paid $5.

I was going to buy a new one...but then had the idea (since my area has a large number of Salvage Yards) to GRAB ONE off a Wreck.

I think the 3.5 Nissan Motor is the same and used in many Nissan Models. If so...i think i can ****** a used "Solenoid Valve Circuit" for about $10 and try it out.

1.) Is my thinking correct or Not....is the 3.5 the same motor for all Nissan(S)?

2.) What's your opinion on buying a used one from the Junk Yard?

Thanks !
Old 11-21-2014, 12:33 PM

Yes the motor are the same, with the varaible Timing Solenoid usually what they call it, depend on the oil pressure and the correct oil as well. So for starter, I would check see if it had an oil change, if it's thick and black, I suggest you get motor flush and clean it out right before you change your oil. Since the solenoid does have a screen mesh inside it, if it get clogged or gunked up will render inoperative. It would be a try to get one from the junk yard if you can find it, but it would have to be from the Maxima/I35, can not be from the G35 so to speak since it set up different for RWD vs the FWD cars like ours
Old 11-21-2014, 12:44 PM
acw

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Yes the motor are the same, with the varaible Timing Solenoid usually what they call it, depend on the oil pressure and the correct oil as well. So for starter, I would check see if it had an oil change, if it's thick and black, I suggest you get motor flush and clean it out right before you change your oil. Since the solenoid does have a screen mesh inside it, if it get clogged or gunked up will render inoperative. It would be a try to get one from the junk yard if you can find it, but it would have to be from the Maxima/I35, can not be from the G35 so to speak since it set up different for RWD vs the FWD cars like ours
Thank you Fanatic...!

So you are saying that 3.5 engines with FWD are basically the same.

What about years?

What about the dude who said he pulled one from an Altima 3.5?

Was he pulling my Johnson?

lol...thanks Man!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by acw
Thank you Fanatic...!

So you are saying that 3.5 engines with FWD are basically the same.

What about years?

What about the dude who said he pulled one from an Altima 3.5?

Was he pulling my Johnson?

lol...thanks Man!
Yes all FWD Nissans with the 3.5 engine have the same components for the 3.5 engine with slight differences. With what you are trying to replace, you should be fine. You might even be able to get it from a RWD 3.5 engine. The easiest way to find this out is to call the parts guy at Nissan and ask. Advice is free. They will tell you which cars are compatible. As far as years, they differs from each model of Nissan. Last but not least, we where not there to see if the guy who pulled one from an Altima also pulled on your Johnson. Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:12 AM
acw

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Yes all FWD Nissans with the 3.5 engine have the same components for the 3.5 engine with slight differences. With what you are trying to replace, you should be fine. You might even be able to get it from a RWD 3.5 engine. The easiest way to find this out is to call the parts guy at Nissan and ask. Advice is free. They will tell you which cars are compatible. As far as years, they differs from each model of Nissan. Last but not least, we where not there to see if the guy who pulled one from an Altima also pulled on your Johnson. Hope this helps.
haha...Well truth be told, he didn't touch me (he didn't have enough MONEY).....LOL.

But, thank you for the suggestion. I will look for that piece in the JUNKYARD.

*The trick is, getting to the car when it first hits the yard. Otherwise, its stripped in days.

thanks Bro !
Old 11-22-2014, 11:23 AM

$50 shipped here: Variable Valve Solenoid
Old 11-23-2014, 07:09 AM
acw

Originally Posted by po8pimp
$50 shipped here: Variable Valve Solenoid
Pimp,...thank you for trying to help. UNFORTUNATELY, that is not the Right Part (sigh). AND, if it were, its not compatible with my Car (according the tool used on that site).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I APPLOGIZE If i wasn't specific enough, but below is a pic of the part i BELIEVE i need. Technically it is called the VIAS- S/VCIRCUIT (Variable Intake Air System Control, Solenoid Valve Circuit) NOW, i CAME to this conclusion based on the BEHAVIOR of vehicle AND test run by ppl at Advance Auto ? ? ?

AT FIRST i thought is was a spark plug that was going bad....(because the car would only spit and sputter at a traffic light) but RUN FINE under accerlation. After running the test, i can to the conclusion that it most like is the "Solenoid Valve Circuit P/N - 149558J10A"

DON'T KNOW ? ? ? (i want to nail this down so i don't have a spend a lot of money fixing this issue ----money is tight right now).

Anyway, that's the part. Maybe i can try and find it used. The part is about $200 new from dealer. Here it is on Ebay

Thanks everyone...!

BTW: Not sure what that dude is referring (in my pic) when he talks about capping the Solenoid....Is this the way to test the Solenoid? He seems to suggest that POSSIBLY the hoses are reversed. Here's the page

Attached Thumbnails Infiniti i35 vs Maxima---- Same Motor?-solinoid-value-3.5.jpg  

Last edited by acw; 11-23-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 AM
acw

Upon Second
Thought...i think its better to just pay the retail cost of the part and install.

Too much time wasted on trying to find that part.