6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Parking Lights Stay On Even When The Car Is Locked

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Parking Lights Stay On Even When The Car Is Locked

What's Up Everyone!
I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima SE, 104,420 miles and a full tank of gas.
I live in Rhode Island, so we got hit with a lot of rain from that hurricane down south.. I was driving up my road and failed to realize that the bottom of the hill is flooded, so I did 25/30 through it and the motor shut off, battery stayed on gave the car a minute & started up perfectly fine. I drove it to school then to work, when I got out of work at 6PM my battery was stone dead. Drove home after a jump and noticed even after the car was off, the parking lights remained on. Orange beams in the headlights, tail lights & license plate lights remain on even after I turn my headlights off and the key is out of the ignition. My alternator is perfectly fine, I checked my battery connections, no loose connections or corrosion. I checked the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side and it did have some moisture, I left it out of the box over night and I am letting it dry. Have not checked it yet.....
Any clue where this is issue stems from? Only mentioned the flooded street part because it happened right after that.
Very frustrating.......
Thank you!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:08 PM

There is a relay for the tail lights in the IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module) that is under the hood on the passenger side, behind the headlight. If this relay is stuck in the ON position, the lights would always be on.

The IPDM has a microprocessor in it and this controls things like the headlights, parking lights, fog lights, windshield wipers and more. Nissan has built a self test into the IPDM. It is called the "Auto Active Test". See page 20 in the link below on how to do the test.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2004/PG.pdf
Old 10-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey thank you so much! I appreciate the help, I did not end up doing the test I will save that for the future if anything happens. I figured out the issue, my fender liner had a chunk broken off in front of the right wheel. I am figuring when I drove through the flooded street the water shot up under the hood and the moisture got into the IPDM. I air dryed, and used a blow dryer to dry it. Cleaned all the fuses off as well, the car is working now. I replaced the front fender liners.
Thank you again.