6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

a/c not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 AM

a/c not working

I live in Mesa, Az. where good a/c is a must. All summer long and up until a week ago my a/c has blown frigid air. It all started when I had to go out early one nippy morning and had to use my defroster and heater. When it turned warm again and I tried to use my a/c it just blew outside air in. All the vents and the blower fan all work, just no cold air. I am wondering if there is some type of door or vent that is stuck and only allows air from under the hood in. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Today I will remove the cabin air filter to look behind it. I do not have the money to take it to a mechanic. I am praying this is a simple fix. Started all at once, not something gradual or sporadic.

Thanks, James
Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 PM

You need to look at the a/c compressor clutch with the motor running and the a/c set to max. The clutch should be engaged.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:18 PM

If you can get the car to blow hot air from the heater, it is highly unlikely that it is a door inside the duct work.

Instead of pulling the cabin air filter that won't let you see jack, look under the hood while the engine is running and you have the a/c turned on. Look at the a/c compressor and see if it is turning. The pulley itself will be turning, but look in the center of the pulley and see if the center hub is turning. If not, it could be an electrical problem, but it is far more likely that you may need to get the system re-charged.

What year is your car?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:36 AM

Thanks for your suggestion, the clutch is not turning or engaging. Does the a/c have a fuse? Someone explained to me that if the refrigerant gets low there is a safety feature that monitors pressure and keeps the clutch from engaging to stop the compressor from burning. I guess that makes sense. It seems like it was working till it was not. Perhaps as the weather cooled I didn't notice that is was not cooling as well until one day the refrigerant was too low to cool at all. Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:42 AM

There is a fuse for the compressor as well as a pressure sensing switch for the refrigerant.

I don't know what year your car is but I am guessing they will all be the same for the fuses. The fuse (10 amp) is under the hood in the IPDM. The module is on the passenger side sort of behind the headlight.

You want to check fuse # 33. Click on link for drawing of the fuse layout.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2005/PG.pdf

See page 24.

Odds are you need to get the system re-charged.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:56 PM

You might have a small leak. Mine was leaking a small amount by the recharge valve. I tightened it using a tire valve tightener valve cap. This video should help you. Mines been good for 2 years.