6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Car wont move after reaching operating temp

Old 02-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car wont move after reaching operating temp

Purchased an 04 Maxima with the 5 speed auto a couple days ago. Previous owner was told the transmission needed to be replaced, but I have my doubts.

The car runs and drives fine when you first start it up. Occasionally it'll overrev when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but that's all I've noticed. After a few minutes (not sure if its temp related or not), the car will not move. It feels like its in neutral. Throttle works as it should, RPMs climb, but the car doesn't move at all, regardless of what position the shifter is in. If I shut the car off for 10 seconds or more, I can get it to drive a few feet again, but the problem comes back.

I've drained and refilled the trans fluid twice today (fluid was still pretty dark after first drain and fill). Unsure if this helped at all.

I've pulled the following codes (all are showing up as history codes, no check engine light is on)
P0735
P0726

I've also done a live data stream. I noticed that the throttle position doesn't read at all with the car off. Shouldn't the ABSLT TPS% (throttle position) change percentage even without the car actually running? It keeps going from 1.6% to 2.0%, then back to 1.6% and so on.

I also hear a buzzing from the transmission when the key is on. When barely pressing the throttle pedal, the buzz changes tone, and when pushing the pedal down a little further, the noise completely goes away. Then when I release the pedal, the buzz comes back again.

I know this is a lot of information, but I'm hoping for some direction on where to start looking. Can we test the throttle position sensor with a multimeter? Can we test camshaft position sensors before replacing them? The P0726 code has me thinking that there is an electronic issue related to the transmission problem...

Search this Thread