6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2005 Maxima left side cv axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2005 Maxima left side cv axle replacement

Hey,

Sorry but i'm very new to this site...Like I Just created an account a few minutes ago, new.

Anyways, I was hearing a roaring/whirring sound coming from the left side of my maxima from the front driver side wheel (I don't fool with cars often aside from brake pad replacement, oil changes, etc., mind you). I took off everything all the way to the cv and then upon trying to remove that, I found that it was very stuck.

After this, I tried every different way to get it out of the differential and nothing worked. Two pry bars at once, tapping with a hammer as I pried, pb blaster in the event that the axle was rusted to the transmission, and then here's the largest concern...

I took off the left passenger's side assembly and took out the passenger side axle in about an hour, and then tried referring to the manual about how to get it from that point on and I put a flat head screwdriver in the differential towards the top upper where the back of the axle was and I was expecting a little transmission fluid and the part to come out... No, black burned smelling transmission fluid poured out and the part still would not budge. I look inside and there is just what looks to be a seal, and it moves around but i'm not sure what I damaged. It seems to be very important.

I'm a newbie. Can someone please help? I've been working on this thing for days now

Last edited by jmunday; 02-20-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:23 AM

The driver side inner cv joint is hold in the transmission by a C clip. What you can do to pop it out is to get a large flat head screwdriver, and wedge it in between the inner axle end and transmission case, then tap the screwdriver head with a hammer. The CV joint will pop out easily.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:08 PM

First off are you talking about the driver or passenger side seal. Second make sure you have a Jack stand under the car with the e brake applied. The best way to get it out is to put your feet on the subframe, grip the axle firmly and yank back hard!!! It should take a few pulls but it will come out. How many miles are on the car?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 PM

Also from the sound you described the wheel bearing may be your issue.....