6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Issue with battery drain (security light?)

Old 03-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Issue with battery drain (security light?)

Hello everyone,
my girlfriend is having an issue with her car, 2004 Maxima 3.5 SE where it will start fine if it's started everyday, but if it's left for 3-5 days the battery will be TOTALLY dead, not just run down. The battery is new, I cleaned the cables and they are good, and I believe the alternator is fine too (car didn't die when I removed the cables). I think the problem is some sort of slow parasitic battery drain. I was looking at the car and even with it unlocked, the red security light on the top center of the dash still flashes every 4 seconds. Is the light supposed to flash all the time even when the car isnt locked and there's no key in the ignition? Any other things I could check that might be draining the battery? Can I bypass the light? I'm looking for any input I can get because I'm not very familiar with these cars, but I'm really banking on it being that flashing security light.

Thanks for any help!
​​​​
Old 03-29-2017, 12:13 PM

The security (immobilizer) light should be on all the time irrespective of whether the car is locked or not. It will only go off when you insert the correct car key and turn it to the on or start position. It's therefore not the cause of the battery drain.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM

Do a parasitic drain test.

Search this Thread