6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rattling from transmission - Maxima 2004 J31

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rattling from transmission - Maxima 2004 J31

Hi Forum,
I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima J31 Ti 4spd automatic, only today i discovered that the car has a rattling noise from the transmission area, I believe it is flexplate/flywheel basically rattling has gotten worse and will rattle in drive at around 0950-1500 revs and then goes away, car drives absolutely normal and no slipping gears or jerking, any help would be much appreciated! thank you in advance
Old 04-06-2017, 05:57 PM

Have you checked the heat shield? Those are known to rattle, My 04 max has the heat shield rattle. My Mechanic told me to go to a muffler shop if i want it removed.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nah i havent checked but it would make sense car is driving absolutely fine, only rattles when it gets really warm if i just drive it like a grandma doesnt even rattle
Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MiaRaider81
Have you checked the heat shield? Those are known to rattle, My 04 max has the heat shield rattle. My Mechanic told me to go to a muffler shop if i want it removed.
I had taken my car to the mechanic today and according to him it isn't the heatshield nore flexplate, he believes front left and right side engine mount however i don't trust his judgement as the noise is graduely getting worse and worse and i have driven the car slowly and under 2k revs