6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Question regarding front bumper cover replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question regarding front bumper cover replacement

So I got clipped at an intersection the other day (damage pic attached) and need to replace the bumper cover. Does anyone have experience replacing this? Specifically, would it be ok to buy one like this (which I assume is aftermarket)? http://www.carparts.com/details/Niss...BN010302P.html

Secondly, would you attempt painting it yourself or have someone else?
Attached Thumbnails Question regarding front bumper cover replacement-damage_front_bumper.jpg  

Last edited by Revived; 05-22-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:33 AM

Replacing the bumper should be relatively easy if nothing is broken. Where the problem with alignment comes in is that you have to identify everything else that's actually broken/bent and replacing/repair all of those parts. There could even be damage on the opposite side depending on how much energy was absorbed.

And no, if you gotta ask about painting car parts don't do it yourself. Flexible parts especially, you gotta do that with all the right tools/booth and technique (to including blending on the fender) if you want it to look clean. If you insist on painting it yourself, I'd recommend not even fixing the damage, as it will likely look better then a home grown paintjob.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Replacing the bumper should be relatively easy if nothing is broken. Where the problem with alignment comes in is that you have to identify everything else that's actually broken/bent and replacing/repair all of those parts. There could even be damage on the opposite side depending on how much energy was absorbed.

And no, if you gotta ask about painting car parts don't do it yourself. Flexible parts especially, you gotta do that with all the right tools/booth and technique (to including blending on the fender) if you want it to look clean. If you insist on painting it yourself, I'd recommend not even fixing the damage, as it will likely look better then a home grown paintjob.
A couple of the plastic tabs broke off and a bolt is bent but I feel a new one will fit just fine. I've held up the existing bumper into place and, fortunately, there seems to be no other damage other than scuffs (thankful that the headlamp is completely intact). There may be a slight imperfection with the new bumper but that's ok.

And yeah, you're probably right with the painting although to clarify, my intention was to utilize a friend who I believe has done some painting on the side so he has some experience and possibly the right tools.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 AM

It's probably around $300 to have them paint your bumper at a shop, even installing it too. OEM paint will probably cost you $60 or more in materials. All I'm saying is, at least get a few shops to quote you. it would be different if you found the same color cover mint in a junk yard for $120, then I'd say go for it. But if whatever you do requires paint, just get a shop to do it all.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
It's probably around $300 to have them paint your bumper at a shop, even installing it too. OEM paint will probably cost you $60 or more in materials. All I'm saying is, at least get a few shops to quote you. it would be different if you found the same color cover mint in a junk yard for $120, then I'd say go for it. But if whatever you do requires paint, just get a shop to do it all.
$175 on the first quote (Maaco). The 2nd quote from a local shop was $450! Hard to believe there's such a disparity in prices.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM

I had a whole car painted by Maaco. They had to redo the whole car, I wouldn't accept it first try. They skipped body work that I paid for and had overspray/dull finish on the entire lower half of the car, no shine. Got it back and it looked decent. 13th month (out of warrantee by 1 month) the dullness began...entire car was flat, no shine before the end of the second year. I wouldn't go to macco. that 450, was that to paint just a bumper, no install? Sounds like they are going for at least 3 hours work at say $110 an hour plus materials. If its a good shop, negotiate the price with them, see if you can get it around $350-400. end result will be worth it, and they should warrantee it for like 3 years or lifetime. That's how you know a shop is good, they offer a quality warrantee on paint work.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone provide insight on how I can find the paint color for this Maxima?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Revived
Can anyone provide insight on how I can find the paint color for this Maxima?
​​​​​​
its somewhere on the driver door or the pillar in between front driver and LH rear passenger door.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks all. I believe I'm going with this option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-2007-20...7/111676161076