6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th Gen Maxima - Broken Timing Belt - Possible engine damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

6th Gen Maxima - Broken Timing Belt - Possible engine damage

Hello everyone. Ok, here's the deal. My 2005 Maxima had a timing chain failure. I'm told that my choices are either to rebuild the engine or put in a used or rebuilt engine. My first question is, "Is this really necessary without any further diagnosis? Does a timing belt failure automatically mean that the piston rods are bent?

Having said that, and hopefully getting a more acceptable answer than replace or rebuild, I want to address the rebuild question. Over the past 6 or seven years, I have performed all of my own maintenance, from brake pads, to radiator replacements. I've kept nothing but synthetic oil in it since I purchased it with only 23K miles on it. Right now it has 234K miles. But until the timing chain issue, I have had no engine problems at all.

I have to admit that I have not tackled anything more intensive than changing the plugs, when it comes to engine work. And I have no formal training or experience, other than working on my car and the family cars. If the engine needs a rebuild, is this something that someone without training can do, or is it better to just purchase a rebuilt or used engine. I have the time to do it and I'm patient. What do you think?

Lastly, a lot of the knowledge I've gained has been through videos left on sites like YouTube. Unfortunately, there's no information or videos there that address swapping out a 6th gen maxima engine or rebuilding it. Help me out with some good sources for information, if you can. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:25 PM

my opinion is to swap the motor. When rebuilding there are lots of measurements that have to be taken to ensure components are still within specification. With a swap all you really need to do is check compression if good then I would but fresh timing components in the new motor, this should last you around 100k. The VQs like to eat upper tensioner shoes in addition the left slack guide likes to break, the 07-08s had a revised slack guide.