6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Strut/shock question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:47 PM

Strut/shock question

Hi,

I have a 2007 Maxima and the drivers front strut needs to be replaced. I am curious to know, do most people just replace the actual gas shock and leave the original spring or just buy the whole assembly. I can buy the shock for under a $100 or a whole new spring and strut assembly for $190 minus some incentives. I'm look at the KYBs. I know what's involved with keeping the original spring i.e., changing it our but just curious what defines whether or not you should replace the spring?

TIA,
Joe
Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 PM

The spring itself lasts a long, long time. If the car is not sagging, you don't need to replace the spring. The sudden popularity of the quick strut is because it is less work to change, making it faster and you don't need a spring compressor. If you have done the job before, compressing the spring and changing it to a new strut adds maybe a half hour. If this is the first time you have done the job, it will of course take you longer.