6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Car cranks, wont start, security light solid red, can't connect via odbII

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car cranks, wont start, security light solid red, can't connect via odbII

I rebuilt the vq35de in my 04 maxima 6mt over the last couple of months and after reassembling it, it cranks but I don't get spark or fuel. Futher, the remote, lights, radio, etc all work. However, the red security light on the dashboard stays on solid red when I put the key to the run position, something that I believe indicates the key isn't recognized as valid in the car.

I tried to get the car reprogrammed for the keys, but neither my nor anyone elses odb connection seems to work.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Edit: turns out it was ecm fuse on the BCM.

Last edited by sworkhard; 11-21-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 11-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Administrator

NATS has gotten you. Search "NATS" here on the ORG to learn more. Time to tow it to the dealer to have the keys re-programmed.

You can try locksmiths, but only 5% of them have the proper tool to connect to the OBDII port and unlock NATS.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
NATS has gotten you. Search "NATS" here on the ORG to learn more. Time to tow it to the dealer to have the keys re-programmed.

You can try locksmiths, but only 5% of them have the proper tool to connect to the OBDII port and unlock NATS.
Yeah, the locksmith couldn't connect either, even though he had the right tools.

However, I double checked all my fuses after posting, and found that the ecm fuse blew. Replaced it and it fired right up.

Unfortunately, It only took less than 20 minutes for the head gasket to blow. By then it was leaving a cloud of white steam and was misfiring. Coolant had been pressurized too. The first 10 minutes it ran awesome though, so at least I got the rest of it working right.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by sworkhard
However, I double checked all my fuses after posting, and found that the ecm fuse blew.
Where's that?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
Where's that?
It's labeled 'IGN and ECCS cont" on the bcm cover.

As for why it blew, My transmission to body ground wasn't connected right and this all gets grounded through the timing cover and then via the transmission to the body. With a poor ground, it seem that the coils can draw too much power and even end up blowing up in a cloud of electrical smoke as I found out.

I'm currently tearing a good portion of the engine down again as the enginetech headgaskets I used despite my better judgment didn't hold up for more than 10 minutes. I have 2 felpro improved design gaskets on the way that look a lot more oem.

Last edited by sworkhard; 11-30-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 AM

BCM cover? Would you be referring to the IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module)?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am indeed referring to the IPDM. I though the BCM and IPDM were one and the same on the 6th gen, but after googling some more, it seems like they are in fact separate.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:01 PM

The BCM is hidden away, and it houses NATS also.