7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Maxima at the NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 AM

I am a maxima fanatic for sure having owned about 8 maxima and i30s in the past 5 years. The one problem I have always had with the car is the rear suspension which, lacks individual components. This has always limited the options with regards to modifying the suspension and quite honestly hampered the performance of the stock suspension. I am sure that this complaint has been echoed by many others in the past and I am not sure if this subject has been addressed yet in this forum as I did not read all of it. I just wanted to find out what Nissan has done to remedy that part of the car.

Also, 290hp is great but I have always depended on Nissan to knock out the competition so I believe an even 300hp would have sent yet another shot across Honda and Toyota’s bows. And one thing that I am still trying to understand is what class the Maxima is supposed to be in. I thought that perhaps the Altima has taken the place of the maxima as the Camry and Accord competition.

I like the new design and I just know, given my history and all the abovementioned flaws not withstanding, I will end up owning one.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by 2naboy
Also, 290hp is great but I have always depended on Nissan to knock out the competition so I believe an even 300hp would have sent yet another shot across Honda and Toyota’s bows. And one thing that I am still trying to understand is what class the Maxima is supposed to be in. I thought that perhaps the Altima has taken the place of the maxima as the Camry and Accord competition.
Think of it this way, you drive a 4th gen (or an I30), right?

Using the same HP figure testing methods for those model years, technically the 7th gen is right at--if not more--than 300hp.

Just being positive
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2naboy
The one problem I have always had with the car is the rear suspension which, lacks individual components. This has always limited the options with regards to modifying the suspension and quite honestly hampered the performance of the stock suspension.
3rd gen has independent rear suspension
Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Gunther
3rd gen has independent rear suspension
As does 2nd & 6th gens. (Damn, were those rear suspension links looking kinda light-for-the-job on the 2G's! lol)
Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Never owned any of those gens only 4th and 5th but do you guys know if the new one has independent rear susp.

Way to keep it possitive Soundmike but that also means that the 4th gen made less than 190 by today's standards.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the 7th gen she's IRS, mates.

REPEAT: 7th GEN HAS IRS --PRAISE THE LORD

4DSC has returned
Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 PM

i think im getting the skyline over the maxima if this is the case... i dont feel like driving an army tank around.. if i wanted to i woulda bought a Cadillac
Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 PM

babyboyws6 - You are getting the skyline because the 7th gen Maxima has the very desirable IRS (independent rear suspension)? What am I missing here?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:02 PM

nah... the irs is a good thing.. i just thought they would have followed a real 4drSC model look... not go for the big body status and just make the added hp go towards just moving the car
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by babyboyws6
nah... the irs is a good thing.. i just thought they would have followed a real 4drSC model look... not go for the big body status and just make the added hp go towards just moving the car
Big body status? The 7th gen is shorter and wider than a 6th gen and has nearly the same dimensions as a G/Skyline sedan.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM

I don't understand.

The 7th gen is smaller, has IRS, and has flared arches similar to the GT-R.

This isn't a sport sedan "look?"

What level of standard would appease your idea?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 AM

making the ***** lighter would help

and not have a similar front to a scion tc
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Very sound, Mike

making the ***** lighter would help

and not have a similar front to a scion tc
Nobody even knows how much it weighs, everything in that regard has just been speculation. Even the power figures are estimated.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 AM

Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Very sound, Mike

Those are Gross vehicle weight numbers, meaning fully loaded with passengers and a full tank of gas.

We don't know if they're using (4) 175lb passengers or (5) 250lb passengers.

Although, if they are using the same procedure for measuring the GVWR as, say, the 2002 Maxima then the 7th gen is indeed heavier(For reference, a 2002 is spec'd at around 4,295 lbs.)

edit 2: You may be right, Nissan's estimated curb for the 09 is 3,600. That would put it at about 8 lbs. more than a typical 6th gen.

Last edited by soundmike; 04-02-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 PM

Of course, if the '3600 pound Nissan estimate' really is an estimate, the '09 could weigh more or less than the 6th gen, but is probably very close to the same weight. At least we can feel the '09 did NOT follow the recent progression of adding one or two hundred pounds with each generation. Looks like the Maxima has gotten as heavy as it will get, and may eventually begin to go down again.

The VIN serial (059017) is interesting. Each model year of the Maxima for at least the last ten years has begun with VIN serial 800000. I would guess Nissan uses serial numbers lower than 100000 for very early production test vehicles. I would also guess the 058000 series is for '09 Maxima test vehicles, and the metal door plate pictured in babyboyws6's post would indicate that was the seventeenth '09 Maxima test vehicle produced.

Nissan typically starts its assembly line for each new generation between six and eight weeks before beginning delivery to the countless Nissan dealers around the country. That means the line will begin work sometime this month (the '09 arrives at dealers in June).

I am going to be very interested in the exact differences between the 'S' and the 'SV' (the only two versions of the '09 Maxima). Indications are that all '09s will have 18" wheels. It may be that we are entering a Maxima era where the 'SL' type (less firm ride, different wheels and tires) disappears, and everything is some form of 'SE' type. If so, then we know the '09 will have driver controls that can be used to change the firmness/softness of the ride. I would almost guarantee that will be the case with the '09.

In fact, once that type system has been incorporated into a vehicle, it is easy to give more options than just 'firm' and 'soft'. We will probably see at least three ride/chassi options readily available at the driver's touch.

With the recession we are in, and car sales down for all major manufacturers, I would expect the initial 'MSRP or nothing' stipulation normally found at dealers the first few months after a new generation debuts to fade more quickly that ever before. By August, we should be able to work out deals near invoice. Dealers are currently that desperate.

If I were interested in a manual tranny, I think I would hold off buying for awhile and see if Nissan is going to eventually make one available on the 7th gen.

But this is really beginning to ramble, Sorry.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Unfortunately, it's a very rare scenario that a newer generation vehicle of any sort will become lighter than its predecessor unless you're buying an actual race car of some sort that drinks some exotic form of fuel that costs $10 a gallon.

There's always extra weight, density, and safety features to add on as the rules for safety become even more absurd. So cars become extremely dense ***** of lead as the engine, brakes and suspension besome even more complex to counter the weight. Overall, nothing is achieved performance-wise or economy wise because even the most efficient cars, these days, weigh about 2 tons. 300hp could take a 3rd gen Maxima to 60MPH, probably in 5 seconds. I think they forgot the fact that a big safety feature is being able to avoid an accident and not driving a bulldozer around town. If your car weighs about the same as a small yacht, it's going to handle and stop like one.

Last edited by 1997 GA16DE; 04-02-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 PM

with all the new technology out now they are making things ***** out heavy?? w/e happened to the light weight products that most invest in... regardless i think the new max's gross weigh fully loaded is damn near the same as a 87 monte carlo with the same passengers in the car.

IRs is great, CVT is a new technology of tranny so its pretty cool... the concern for safety is good but the standards of safety are head scratching really. all in all im sure its gunna be a good car but it weight close to an m45 now.

6th gens are big body and your right, atleast the weight difference isnt like 200 or 300lbs

ima stick it out with mt 5.5 gen for the time being... maybe a 7.5 gen would satisfy my wants... hmmmmmmm
Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1997 GA16DE
Overall, nothing is achieved performance-wise or economy wise because even the most efficient cars, these days, weigh about 2 tons.... If your car weighs about the same as a small yacht, it's going to handle and stop like one.
R35 GT-R is 2 tons and handles and stops like a car much lighter than it is. Reviews claim with regularity that it defies physics it's so good.

I know the 7th gen isn't the GT-R but I'm expecting halo-like technology to be implemented in it's engineering, to some extent, as it was (allegedly) co-developed with the GT-R on the Nurburgring.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
R35 GT-R is 2 tons and handles and stops like a car much lighter than it is. Reviews claim with regularity that it defies physics it's so good.

I know the 7th gen isn't the GT-R but I'm expecting halo-like technology to be implemented in it's engineering, to some extent, as it was (allegedly) co-developed with the GT-R on the Nurburgring.
gt-r is in my future
Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 AM

gt-r is in my future
Hopefully mine too
Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Very sound, Mike

with all the new technology out now they are making things ***** out heavy?? w/e happened to the light weight products that most invest in... regardless i think the new max's gross weigh fully loaded is damn near the same as a 87 monte carlo with the same passengers in the car.
Compare them feature for feature and material for material. I'm sure the Max has way more features, safety and convenience, than the Monte.

If you take a 7th gen Max, strip it of all the features and characteristics that were not available on, say, a 3rd gen Max, and you're down to the same curb weight - if not less.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Compare them feature for feature and material for material. I'm sure the Max has way more features, safety and convenience, than the Monte.

If you take a 7th gen Max, strip it of all the features and characteristics that were not available on, say, a 3rd gen Max, and you're down to the same curb weight - if not less.
well of course its gunna be better than the monte im just saying.. weighs alot
dont you think theres alot of lighter weight products out there they could have gone with?? i mean since it is a 4dsc and all.... should live up to the "sc" part a little more than just the engine tuning. i actually think the award will go to the acura TL than the maxima ...due to the awd feature. makes the handling a lil more fun to be bold and daring...

buuuuttttttttttttt i still want the gtr...

maybe im just not liking the color of the max in that picture.. i gotta see it in black... maybe i will change my mind and stop being bias
Old 04-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Very sound, Mike

well of course its gunna be better than the monte im just saying.. weighs alot
dont you think theres alot of lighter weight products out there they could have gone with?? i mean since it is a 4dsc and all.... should live up to the "sc" part a little more than just the engine tuning. i actually think the award will go to the acura TL than the maxima ...due to the awd feature. makes the handling a lil more fun to be bold and daring...

buuuuttttttttttttt i still want the gtr...

maybe im just not liking the color of the max in that picture.. i gotta see it in black... maybe i will change my mind and stop being bias
Well, they are using aluminum components on several key areas now, and this iteration of the VQ is supposedly slightly more compact than in the older gens (which could mean some weight savings there). They even "trimmed" the backs of the front seats for weight savings and gain more leg room in the back seats.

For the price they're selling the Maxima, i'm sure they've already done all they can to include all the features yet maintain the weight. They could make the entire body CF and the entire frame aluminum, but at that point who would want to pay for a $75k FWD Maxima?

And i don't think the "SC" part of this Maxima is just in the engine tuning--and Nissan never focused on it either. If you've read the (rather long) press release, you'll know they've done way more than that. From suspension tuning, wider track, shorter wheelbase, smaller steering wheel, front fender lines that to me was designed to easily see where your front wheels are when making turns (a.k.a. a G35 feature), better seats for cornering, etc...

I do applaud you for seeing it as needing to be more than just plain power to become a 4DSC. Most other posts i see here about the 7th gen are akin to "Needs more power... 290hp DSC?"

And oh, my chops, just for you (original photos courtesy of SN.net)

Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Car looks great in those other colors, thanks for making those swatches.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:13 AM

yeahh there you go!! black works for me... black car 10% tints... i think i would buy one like that... no other combo works for me in this gen..

nah the engine is good where it's at and im sure an intake design is on the way for this car... or maybe people will just do a ghetto airbox haha.
like the people at nissan said.. i think i have to drive it to fully appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 AM

IIRC, the 7th gen comes stock with a FSTB and IRS; was tested and developed, in part, on the Nurburgring. This is not your average FWD sedan by any means. I doubt the new Camry was tested and engineered this way.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
IIRC, the 7th gen comes stock with a FSTB and IRS; was tested and developed, in part, on the Nurburgring. This is not your average FWD sedan by any means. I doubt the new Camry was tested and engineered this way.
the camry was never classified as a sports sedan
Old 04-12-2008, 06:18 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

My opinion...I like it with a few tweeks. The CVT as the only option? I hope it's really fun to drive in the "sport" mode! I am disappointed that the 6spd is not an option. I like the steering wheel. It looks more refined. I like the paddles on the wheel and not on the column...they are placed there for better for shift control if you drive at 10-2 or 9-3 position. When you are driving "aggressively" on winding roads, your generally not having to cross-over your hands. The steering should be tight enough to make most sharp turns at speed and keep your hands in the std position. Does it have HLSD or LSD and can you turn the TCS completely off? Will the suspension be non adjustable...or will there be a "sport" setting that correlates to the CVT selection?

As for the headlights...get rid of the "thingy" on the bottom that come out into the fender...Not a fan. People have to keep in mind what Nissan's market is...If you want Infiniti, buy an Infiniti for a little more money. Nissan is giving us a great "value" by giving us as many of the "trimmings" as possible without washing out sales at Infiniti (buyers buying down) or vice versa because of pricing. Over all, I am pleased with the new design sans the headlight "thingy". I like the hood design and the aftermarket potential looks good.

In closing...NISSAN...we want an AWD, 6spd High horsepower option (380hp ish) for the Maxima...that is our wish, but knowing we can't all have our dreams, get us as close a possible! Your on the right track...I can't wait to drive one and then tell you my opinion Thanks Nissan for asking our opinions!

Sincerely,
IWNTMORHP!!

Last edited by IWNTMORHP!!; 04-12-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by kbohip
Two things that I really dislike right off the bat. No 6-speed manual and only 290hp. Truthfully I was expecting at least 300hp. I know, I know, it's only 10hp short, it's a psychological thing more than anything else, but it still should have had at least 300hp! Something more to set it apart from it's competition, which I now see as the Accord V6. 290hp is only 22hp more than the Accord V6 has. The scary thing is with the stupid CVT transmission the Maxima may not even be any faster to 60 than the Accord V6.

The interior is typical of Nissan for the last 4 years or so, cheap looking. I mean look at that shot of the backseat and notice how the center console plastics don't even seem to match in color. The fake carbon fiber on the dash is pretty bad too, and the fake carbon fiber door handles? Lol, who are they building this car for again? Maybe a middle aged Dad trying to look cool to his teenage son?

As far as the looks go? Yawn. It's as if the designers copied off a BMW 7 series for the trunk lid, Dodge Charger for the grill, and a Volvo S-80 for the headlights. The side looks good though, and I like the wheels. I HATE the bigass sunroof. More moving parts to break up there.

I found it very interesting that Nissan was boasting about their third generation Maximas. They and most Maxima owner's know that this is when Nissan got the Maxima just right. The styling seemed ahead of it's time and completely original. I remember when the third gens had just come out. People would stop and stare at them as they drove by. I used to have people stop and ask me about mine wherever I went. To this day I've never met one person who didn't like the styling on that car.

Back then it was such an easy decision to buy a Maxima. It's main competition were cars like the Accord and Subaru Legacy. The Accord didn't even have a V6, the Legacy was homely looking and woefully underpowered, and the Maxima was selling for the same price as the Accord. Then the 92 Maxima's came out with 190hp coupled with 5-speed manuals. Those truly were 4-door sports cars for their time, especially when the competition was so weak. When I went car shopping I knew I wanted that Maxima! The only car in it's price range back then that could even keep up with it was a Ford Taurus SHO. It easily wiped the floor with the Accords and Subarus of it's day. It deserved that "4DSC" sticker and then some.

Flash forward to the 2009 Maxima. What really sets this car apart from it's competition anymore? Certainly not the styling. Definitely not the performance. Even without knowing the performance figures on this car I know it will be slower than a Legacy GT (with real manual tranny) and probably not much, if any faster than a plain 'ole Accord. There's no manual transmission, no AWD option, and it's even more expensive than the Accord V6 now.

Sadly, the once fun and unique Maxima has become an also ran. It's stiffest competition will be from the Altima once again. The Altima is the Maxima now imo. I don't know who they're building these new "Maximas" for anymore, but it certainly isn't for 3rd gen loving Maxima drivers such as myself.
I have to say, I was reading this, and honestly couldn't agree more.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Nice steering wheel, and wheels. Looks like a better quality steering wheel material that won't crack up on the top like a lot of the 6th generation one's do. Wonder if thats due to the heat in the summer maybe being hotter up on that part of the steering wheel.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

WTF I have an 02' mom has an 05'. I really don't like this one. Owell I did just buy a Tundra but I still have and love my 02'
Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by rizzindriver89
FWD is to be expected since all maximas had that...
Actually the 1st gen is RWD.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 PM

rizzindriver89 - I feel Nissan looked ahead, saw the ever-increasing MPG demands coming down the pike, realized that simple physics strongly tells us improvements we will gradually see in the CVT inevitably mean it will soon be more fuel efficient than any shifting tranny, and decided to get ahead of the curve and concentrate on making the best CVTs available.

Realizing there are folks who want some manual control over their tranny, Nissan offers us four different ways to use the tiptronic CVT in the 7th gen Maxima, including the ability to effectively control the ratio between RPMs and final drive. But many folks are still nostalgically obsessed with the more simple and easy-to-drive old-style manual tranny, and feel any vehicle not making the old-style manual available will not only be no fun to drive, but will probably result in their total emasculation.

I loved the simple old style manual tranny, but in the gridlocked traffic around where I live, it ceased to become fun to drive two decades ago.

With or without us, time marches on and everything changes.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

kinda resembles the new chevy malibu
Old 05-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Chassis Freak

God, the 2009 370Z has MUCH cleaner styling than the 7th gen Max...the V-shaped headlights actually look good:

Why can't Nissan design a clean sports sedan that looks as good as their coupes? It's not that hard.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 AM

No 6spd... no care.

I've been out of the loop for awhile being in the sandbox, and ran across it while wandering the Nissan Site.

I'm depressed now as my hope and dreams were just dashed away...

We were even looking around for a new car. Stuck between a Mazda 3, Corrola XRS, and Camry SE.

I saw the 7th gen Max and feel in love. All excited about getting another Maxima, and even pondering selling my truck to help pay for it.

And for me... paddles don't replace a gearshift ****, not by a long shot.

I will give Nissan a thumbs up for redesigning the body for once. I personally found the 6th gen ugly.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Those are Gross vehicle weight numbers, meaning fully loaded with passengers and a full tank of gas.

We don't know if they're using (4) 175lb passengers or (5) 250lb passengers.

Although, if they are using the same procedure for measuring the GVWR as, say, the 2002 Maxima then the 7th gen is indeed heavier(For reference, a 2002 is spec'd at around 4,295 lbs.)

edit 2: You may be right, Nissan's estimated curb for the 09 is 3,600. That would put it at about 8 lbs. more than a typical 6th gen.
Vehicle Manufacturer's use an avg base line when designing certain vehicles. If I remember right, the last avg they were using for males was 5'10" @ 180lbs or so.

Don't ask about the ladies, I won't speculate at what I remember to keep from offending. Nothing like the wrath of a women.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Before I start commenting on the 7th Gen Max, let me compliment Dan and Neal for the information they have provided in this thread -- great job.

I come late to this thread, and have just read all 198 posts today. Overall, I was surprised at the almost universal support in those posts for a 6-MT option being made available for this 4DSC (more on that later).

While there are some features I don't like very much (steering wheel and back trunk treatment come first to mind) in this latest generation, overall I like the car. I also like the slightly shorter wheel base and the hopefully improved turning radius. I hope that better quality tires are also made an option -- an improvement is needed over the Good Year RSAs that came with the 6th Gen SE.

Syntax 182 said it well when he said his wanting a 6-MT trannie was about "control." I am 68 years old and still want the control that a manual provides over any other trannie. The lack of a MT would be a "deal breaker" for me -- meaning that I would not buy a Max with a CVT. And just because "Motor Trend" says that Nissan should offer a MT in the Maxima -- does not mean that one will be an option. When I bought my 04, I had to stand on my head to get the 6-MT -- but I held out -- and it was worth it. Yes, even then only 5 to 7% of Maximas came with the MT -- but it was available for those of us who wanted one.

I am also trained as an engineer and know that the CVT kicks out a lot of waste heat (requiring special lubricants and an extra trannie cooler). In the automotive world, heat = the loss of efficiency. You want the power in the fuel to be turned into motion and not into heat. The 6-MT has the least amount of fuel-energy loss to heat of any transmission now available. So, in addition to control, the MT also can provide the best efficiency.

With 70 K miles on my 04, I need to think about what I would buy when the time comes to replace the 04. A 2010 Maxima would be my first choice -- if I could get her with a 6-MT. The Infiniti's are nice (and more expensive), but too small for my wife (who is talking about a mini-van to handle all of the grandchildren). If I were single, an Infiniti would be perfect for me -- but I need to compromize on size with her. I think I can keep her with a Maxima -- or more likely an Altima with a 6-MT (if Nissan does not follow Motor Trend's recommendation and eventually offer a 6-MT in the Max).

Finally, let me say that even when lightonthehill feels he is straying off topic, he is still worth listening to.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 05-08-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:45 AM

looks like someone ate a volkswagen beetle and vomited on the rear end of that car. and what's with the headlights? they would look much better if they were more triangular than abstract...

i like the 08 better...or, of course, my 97

Quick Reply: 2009 Maxima at the NY Auto Show