7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2009 Maxima at the NY Auto Show

Old 05-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Nice job DanNY, it's nice to see some of the old folks are still around.

Originally Posted by DanNY
Nealoc and I were invited to the NY Auto Show by Nissan and IB to view the unveiling of the 2009 Nissan Maxima. We were able to meet with the marketing team from Nissan to speak with them regarding the new 2009 Maxima.

We were able to talk to the project management team on the new launch of the 2009 Maxima and were able to give them some feedback from the Maxima.org community since some of you were able to view the pictures prior to the actual release date.

Below are some pictures from the show and I'm sure Neal will post some additional pictures that he took. Once we're able to upload more pics we'll post additional pics on to the forum.

Thank you Nissan and IB.
Dan
Old 05-10-2008, 08:37 AM

I like it. i just think they need to tweak the headlights and offer up a 6 speed. i could careless if it had RWD or AWD. but it would be nice.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 PM

to be honest dont really like it at all, glad i got my 08
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ajcool2
OK OK that video made me like it more. I guess the pics didnt do it justice. It seems to look more agressive and I actually think this may turn out to be one of the best looking modded maximas ever. I need to see it in person now.
Looking back at this thread now your statement is very true. Pictures do not do this car justice. It is gorgeous in person.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 AM

The true test for the 09 Maxima will be if the "coolness" and the "wow" factor hold up over time. Many new cars catch people's attention at first, but will ne new Maxima still have people saying "I want one of those" after 6 months of being sold?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 PM

Good point gopack504. I was just telling my wife yesterday that, even though I always buy a new Maxima the first year of each new generation, by the time the next generation arrives, my four or five year old Maxima from the previous generation is still a sharp-looking, very 'noticed' vehicle. This is certainly not true with lots of other cars.

I predict that the new generation Maxima will sell well, draw many new fans to Maxima, and will be a vehicle that aftermarket folks will want to develop mods for.

But only time will tell.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I predict that the new generation Maxima will sell well, draw many new fans to Maxima, and will be a vehicle that aftermarket folks will want to develop mods for.

But only time will tell.
Well, the new Maxima has one new fan....me. I never really was a fan of Nissan before I saw this car, but I sort of liked the 08 Altima and Maxima.

When I made this comment I was thinking of the new Malibu. I always thought that car was boxy and ugly, but GM finally made it good looking car. I thought it was really nice when I first saw it, but now I don't like it enough to buy it. As compared to the Camry and Accord I would get the Camry over the new Malibu, but I would get the new Mailbu over the new Accord.

So, when I saw the new Malibu I really liked the new look, but it just doesn't hold the appeal. I think the new Maxima will hold it's appeal and draw new fans.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 AM

gopack504 - I agree. The Camry and Accord are not bad-looking vehicles. In fact, when the inevitable 'naysayers' began popping up on this 7th gen board screaming 'LOOKS LIKE A CAMRY! A CAMRY!', I couldn't help but think back to when that was the ultimate insult. But now that the Camry looks good, the remark is no longer an insult (although it was doubtlessly meant as one).

Like you, I never had love for the Malibu, and like you, was impressed when I saw the new one. I did not think Chevy could make it look decent, but they did. Of course they will sell a half a million of them at heavily discounted prices, and we will be seeing them in our sleep.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Have ya'll seen this photo yet? I've been wantin a white girl for a minute.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 AM

AllBlackMax - We had that photo on here back around March 20 (intro time), but I forgot which thread it was in, and am glad to see it again.

No color can look sharper than black, but it requires constant cleaning to be its best, and with every summer getting hotter and hotter (a record 98 in Atlanta Monday, and between 101 and 103 degrees on my three thermometers here south of Atlanta), I stick with light colors (usually silver).

But way back around March 20, as soon as I saw that photo, I told my wife we may be getting our very first white car in 59 years of driving. White cars are surprisingly very visible and draw attention. White is usually considered an 'old folks' color, but, for some reason, this new Maxima looks very aggressive in white.

Edit - I might even line that bottom opening under the grille with a row of white shark's teeth, then watch the kiddies run screaming to their Mommies as I approach.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-10-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy Getting warmer!

After two Maximas, I couldn't handle the 5th, 6th gen Maximas although I have always loved the VQ35 engine. So I jumped ship for Acura TL in 2004. Specifically, I couldn't handle the fugly grilles with the over-sized Nissan badge blocking the airflow and styling and the plasticky instrument panels. I still loved the engine. Now, I have rented many Nissan products from Rogues and Muranos to Maximas. The Maximas have been underwhelming. I can't stomach the CVT. I am old enough to remember my grandfather's old 1959 Buick and my cousin's old 1958 Chevy Impala with Turboglide tranny. They both had no gears... just "mashed potato drive". In short: they sucked. Still do, IMO. I came to admire the CVT in the Rogue as it brought out the best in that tiny 4 cyl engine and performed rather well compared with the same engine and a regular tranny. Now, the grille issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. It's not nearly as ugly. I can live with it. The instrument panel is much better but the center stack still looks cheesy to me. The new Max is very reminiscent of a Camry in styling but that's not all bad. Camrys are looking better all the time. But, I'm sorry to say that the CVT is a deal-breaker for me. My 1990 Maxima was a 4DSC and it performed like one. I had it for 14 trouble free years. It was as quick when I sold it as the day I bought it. "Sports Car" and "CVT" do not belong in the same sentence. Go-cart and CVT do. Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by XP Diddy
After two Maximas, I couldn't handle the 5th, 6th gen Maximas although I have always loved the VQ35 engine. So I jumped ship for Acura TL in 2004. Specifically, I couldn't handle the fugly grilles with the over-sized Nissan badge blocking the airflow and styling and the plasticky instrument panels. I still loved the engine. Now, I have rented many Nissan products from Rogues and Muranos to Maximas. The Maximas have been underwhelming. I can't stomach the CVT. I am old enough to remember my grandfather's old 1959 Buick and my cousin's old 1958 Chevy Impala with Turboglide tranny. They both had no gears... just "mashed potato drive". In short: they sucked. Still do, IMO. I came to admire the CVT in the Rogue as it brought out the best in that tiny 4 cyl engine and performed rather well compared with the same engine and a regular tranny. Now, the grille issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. It's not nearly as ugly. I can live with it. The instrument panel is much better but the center stack still looks cheesy to me. The new Max is very reminiscent of a Camry in styling but that's not all bad. Camrys are looking better all the time. But, I'm sorry to say that the CVT is a deal-breaker for me. My 1990 Maxima was a 4DSC and it performed like one. I had it for 14 trouble free years. It was as quick when I sold it as the day I bought it. "Sports Car" and "CVT" do not belong in the same sentence. Go-cart and CVT do. Just my opinion.
Unfortunately I reluctantly agree with what you are saying, except it may not be a total deal breaker for me ... until I drive it. And the rumor of the 6MT has my hopes up.

I may just get another 3rd gen for that matter, my ultimate favorite Maxima of all the ages.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Chassis Freak

I spoke to a Nissan corporate guy yesterday at Maxus. He said that only about 2.5% of 6th gen Maximas were sold with a manual transmission, and therefore they couldn't justify the MT option in the 7th gen. He said there were no plans to offer MT in the 7th gen.

To restate what many others have said, it is truly a shame what Nissan has done to the Maxima. Starting with the larger Altima in 2002 and the introduction of the Infiniti G35 in 2003, they have wedged the Maxima in an awfully small space. Anyone who wants performance will go with the Altima sedan or coupe, and anyone who wants performance plus class/luxury will go with the G35. Both are great options that have a 6-speed mated to the VQ35. So as a result, the Maxima lineage has turned into just another large sedan with little to distinguish it from the Accord and Camry other than marginally greater power.

For us who own older Maximas, it's as if we graduated from a presitigious college or university that has since fallen way down in the rankings, so the name just doesn't mean much to anyone anymore. But in the long view, it doesn't really matter what they call it, as long as Nissan continues to make quality performance sedans that live up to the 4DSC ideal. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by VQuick
I spoke to a Nissan corporate guy yesterday at Maxus. He said that only about 2.5% of 6th gen Maximas were sold with a manual transmission, and therefore they couldn't justify the MT option in the 7th gen. He said there were no plans to offer MT in the 7th gen.

To restate what many others have said, it is truly a shame what Nissan has done to the Maxima. Starting with the larger Altima in 2002 and the introduction of the Infiniti G35 in 2003, they have wedged the Maxima in an awfully small space. Anyone who wants performance will go with the Altima sedan or coupe, and anyone who wants performance plus class/luxury will go with the G35. Both are great options that have a 6-speed mated to the VQ35. So as a result, the Maxima lineage has turned into just another large sedan with little to distinguish it from the Accord and Camry other than marginally greater power.

For us who own older Maximas, it's as if we graduated from a presitigious college or university that has since fallen way down in the rankings, so the name just doesn't mean much to anyone anymore. But in the long view, it doesn't really matter what they call it, as long as Nissan continues to make quality performance sedans that live up to the 4DSC ideal. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
The problem is those 2.5% of owners REALLY WANT that 6MT BADLY.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:26 PM

Light...

I, too, have owned numerous (six) Maximas, but only one white. I loved it, and my 2010 Max will be white also. Had numerous dark colored ones and they showed every flaw, but the white one really shined (especially next to my wife's white 350Z). That is they made a great couple; the paint on the Z is incredible!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The new nissan line up reminds me of british politics.
2009 Maxima= Queen of England a reprensentation of what a performance seden is. At one point it really was the top dog
2008 Altima 3.5 SE 6spd= Prime Minister a true performance seden through and through. Just look at the Altima SE-R.
(and as a side note car's interior looks just as good if not better then my brother's 2004 TL)
Old 07-24-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by nismoman88
2008 Altima 3.5 SE 6spd = a true performance seden through and through. Just look at the Altima SE-R. (and as a side note car's interior looks just as good if not better then my brother's 2004 TL)
Looks like the Altama 3.5 SE-R could be my replacement car when it finally comes time to replace my 04 Maxima w 6-speed. A 6-speed is all I want for a trannie and you can keep the heat-generating trannie that is the only option in the newer Maximas. Thanks for the heads-up on this vehicle. Sounds like the latest version of Nissan's 4DSC.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 PM

i think it''s a much better looking car than the 6th Gen. but the loss of the 6 spd is rough. gonna lose some potential buyers for sure on that one, but Nissan is still my fav. manufacturer. quality cars, lots of power
Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, although the styling seems to have taken a bit out of some other familiar vehicles, i do like it.

Not all that thrilled about the low torque rating, but ahh well.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by baylormax02
i think it''s a much better looking car than the 6th Gen. but the loss of the 6 spd is rough. gonna lose some potential buyers for sure on that one, but Nissan is still my fav. manufacturer. quality cars, lots of power

I agree with what you say, but Nissan does have a point that dealers had an awful time selling Maximas with manuals from 1996 through 2006 (the last year the Maxima had a manual option). At least the improved CVT in the '09 seems to have cured the 'iffy' points of the '07/'08 CVTs, and actually added another MPG over the '08. They also gaves us three ways to operate it, so that we can pretend it is a manual, and have a little fun.

It isn't easy creating a vehicle that can pose as a 4DSC and also a near-luxury affordable family sedan at the same time. But that combo is exactly what I want, and the Maxima gives it to me more perfectly than any other car.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Chassis Freak

What's the deal with the Altima SE-R? I thought it was discontinued? It's not currently listed on the Nissan website....