7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

USA Today Review of the 7th Gen

Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 AM

USA Today Review of the 7th Gen

Here is USA Today's review:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...n-maxima_N.htm
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation

Pretty much the same as most other reviews I've read. Although it does bring up one good point that I have a gripe with:

Has anyone else noticed the lack of real options on the new max? If you go to build your own on the site the only real options you have are the tech and sport packages at a few grand each. And if you try to add another of the small options they have like xenon headlights it makes you take off a major package to get them. Its very odd.

And the S model has no options other than some splash gurads and floor mats. What up with that?

Is this something thats in effect just now at the start of the production run and we'll have a better combination of options in a few months - or is this just the way its going to be?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Edited your thread title to make it more informative.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM

It bothers me that Nissan dude said you didn't have to use premium- this doesn't jive with the manual. I didn't spend this much money to screw up my car over something so trivial.

MM1
Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Paradox01
Pretty much the same as most other reviews I've read. Although it does bring up one good point that I have a gripe with:

Has anyone else noticed the lack of real options on the new max? If you go to build your own on the site the only real options you have are the tech and sport packages at a few grand each. And if you try to add another of the small options they have like xenon headlights it makes you take off a major package to get them. Its very odd.

And the S model has no options other than some splash gurads and floor mats. What up with that?

Is this something thats in effect just now at the start of the production run and we'll have a better combination of options in a few months - or is this just the way its going to be?
welcome to the world of car buying in 2008. I've been browsing cars, and it's amazing how many new cars require ridiulous packages for you to get the one thing you want (like a sunroof).

An easy way for the dealer to really jack the price of the car. Base price (example) of $30k for whatever car looks good. Then you tack on a few options you want and the price ends up at $40k before you know it...
Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mastermind1
It bothers me that Nissan dude said you didn't have to use premium- this doesn't jive with the manual. I didn't spend this much money to screw up my car over something so trivial.

MM1

Not unusual to find conflicting info. When the 6th gen arrived, everything screamed 'premium only', under penalty of death. But when I read all the fine print, I realized there were lots of qualifiers.

After about 18 months of using premium, I dropped to midgrade. I found absolutely no difference in anything performance-wise. Had I been at the track, the midgrade might have cost a tenth of a sec in elapsed time, but those technically and scientifically inclined know that dropping the octane (as long as no pinging occurs) does not change MPG.

After another 18 months, I dropped to regular (which my sister-in-law used from day one in her '04 SL), and still found no difference in performance. That was great for me, because, while many areas of the country find only a dime difference between grades, around where I lived, the difference between permium and regular reached 48 cents at one point.

BUT:

Like Mastermind said, we need to have a uniform respons from all Nissan people and publications as to EXACTLY AND PRECISELY what the possible effects of changing octane are, and have EVERY Nissan source together on this.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM

The options situation has completely changed for '09, and can be confusing. You didn't mention that there is also a Premium package. The tech package can be had separately, or added to either the Sport or Premium packages. The spoiler can be added to anything except Sport, as it is already part of the Sport package.

You mentioned that it makes you remove major packages (such as Sport or Premium) in order to add HID Xenon headlamps. That is because HID Xenon headlamps are ALREADY included in the Sport and Premium packages.

The option system of the '09 isn't perfect, but after much study, I found quite a bit of flexibility. Not flexible to the point of letting me have a Frost interior with Winter Frost exterior and Premium package, but still quite flexible.

Of course there are limitations, and these are not random whims of Nissan; these limitations are necessary in order to produce the Maxima at the price we have it. Every bit of added flexibility options-wise increases the variations on the dealer's lot and the variations in the production line in Smyrna. That means $$$$$$, pure and simple. Most manufacturers seem to do things this way these days.

And to answer your other question, no, this is not just an initial setup, and I doubt if options change later in the production run.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Back to the USA Today review:

I have always liked Healey's reviews. He goes about it differently than most magazine testers, and keeps an open mind with everything.

'CVT . . . . felt like a real gearbox. None of the rubber-band feel of some rival CVTs.'

'Everything works well together. . . the growl of the engine and view (of the sculpted hood) out the windshield remind you that with a little toe on the throttle, a tap on the gear lever, a twist of the leathered wheel, (and) you're in the joy zone.'

I think he likes this car.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 PM

Hopefully tomorrow I will be picking up my Winter Frost SV w/sport and tech package and
Frost interior. The dealer has to locate it which is fine.

Right now they gave me a loaner S and the saleslady put REGULAR in it and said they put regular in all the time and that it doesn't hurt the engine. I didn't notice any problem on the loaner with acceleration and engine sound.

The only thing I'm waiting on is the processing for the credit union in which I will be in Vegas this week on vacation, so we shall see how that goes.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The options situation has completely changed for '09, and can be confusing. You didn't mention that there is also a Premium package. The tech package can be had separately, or added to either the Sport or Premium packages. The spoiler can be added to anything except Sport, as it is already part of the Sport package.

You mentioned that it makes you remove major packages (such as Sport or Premium) in order to add HID Xenon headlamps. That is because HID Xenon headlamps are ALREADY included in the Sport and Premium packages.

The option system of the '09 isn't perfect, but after much study, I found quite a bit of flexibility. Not flexible to the point of letting me have a Frost interior with Winter Frost exterior and Premium package, but still quite flexible.

Of course there are limitations, and these are not random whims of Nissan; these limitations are necessary in order to produce the Maxima at the price we have it. Every bit of added flexibility options-wise increases the variations on the dealer's lot and the variations in the production line in Smyrna. That means $$$$$$, pure and simple. Most manufacturers seem to do things this way these days.

And to answer your other question, no, this is not just an initial setup, and I doubt if options change later in the production run.
Yeah you also can't combine the sport and premium packages. Like you said its ok, just not perfect. I just wish they had more options for the S, I absolutely hate leather seats...
Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 AM

Yeah you also can't combine the sport and premium packages. Like you said its ok, just not perfect. I just wish they had more options for the S, I absolutely hate leather seats...

The Sport and Premium packages can't be combined because they take the Maxima in opposite directions, and contain many of the same things. The difference is that the Premium has a more comfortable ride, double-paneled roof, and extra interior goodies such as power rear window shades, while the Sport has larger wheels/tires, a spoiler, thicker stabilizer bars, etc, and is performance-oriented.

Nissan specifically told us they considered making the double-paneled roof an option on the Sport package, but found that the heavy apparatus perched on top reduced the lateral performance of the Sport package, ruining such things as slalom times.

I agree it would be nice to be able to pick and choose, and there are certainly a few things I would have chosen differently had it been possible. But Nissan has so many dozens of things packed into these option packages, and it would be impossible to make them all available individually. Car manufacturers these days are looking harder than ever before at the bottom line, and anything they can simplify (like packaging options) saves them money.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Well if you want real options this is what the 6th gen had. Rearview mirrors that tilt down while in reverse, power folding mirrors that dim, rear backup sensors, heated outside mirrors, heated steering wheel, entry/exit drivers seat & steering wheel, heated front seats, power telescoping steering wheel, Memory seating for two remote keys that include seat/outside mirrors and steering wheel position/radio presets, Dual climate control, Navigation, Satellite radio, projector head and fog light(04-06), full spare tire option with extra tire and rim, Remote controlled front windows,rear power sunshade, On some models rear heated seats. I'm sure I missed some options the 04-08 models had.

Some features are still available in the 7thgen and some are NOT. When the Altima got turn signal mirrors the Maxima owners had a pissy fit and forgot all the options we already had. So now the 09 Maxima has the "turn signal mirrors" minus some old features. So what is the problem now people????
Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM

one gripe

YEAH ONE THING THAT I DONT LIKE IS THE OPTION TO SELECT THE INTERIOR TRIM.. I HAVE A SUPER BLACK/ CHARCOAL SV PREMIUM TECH PACKAGE AND I WAS FORCED TO GET THE WOOD GRAIN.... IM NOT A FAN OF WOOD GRAIN INTERIORS.... I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE THE CARBON FIBER LOOK OR PIANO DOT TRIM IN MY CAR.... DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW I CAN GET MY HANDS ON THOSE OEM PANELS... I DO NOT WANNA USE OVERLAYS ( KINDA TACKY) ... HELP ANYONE