7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Sorry I bought this car

Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 PM

I had the same thing happen to my new Maxima. I took it to the dealer and he reset the code. He said that there was no indication of any other problem other than a loose gas cap. He told me that though the manual says to turn it until it clicks 3 times, he said to keep turning it so that it clicks at least 10 times. I have been very careful to do this, and I have not had the problem again. I have almost 3000 miles on it, so I've refueled a number of times.

I do hope that you get the problem resolved at the dealership though.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Over 3600 miles here on mine and no light so far. I do turn the gas cap for several clicks though (closer to 10) whenever I refuel.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
The cost of the vehicle is irrelevant. What I said applies to all new cars, no matter how cheap or expensive.
There was no name calling.
I was just frustrated and venting a bit... probably should have counted to 10 first. Different personalities, opinions and ways of doing business I guess. It's what makes the world go round... and causes wars too.

-John
Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I disagree with you as well. The dealer won't be receiving a dime from the OP since the car is under warranty. It's in their best interest to figure out the problem efficiently and correctly so they can back to what you claim on older cars w/o warranties.
Of course they will fix it under warranty. LOL, haven't they done that 3 times now for him. Sorry OP, yes it's total BS they haven't fixed the issue you're having yet.

But I still feel it's smart to get the code read someplace else as well. Knowledge is power. If you walk into the busy service center, they're going to pull the code and maybe fix what they think is wrong without alot of research. I've also seen them just reset the code and send you on your way. When you walk in, have knowledge of the issue, can explain what was happening at the time it occured and know possibly what "could" have caused it, their "techs" seem to listen alot better.

He's already ON the forum, I suspect he either came on here for additional help, is an enthusiast, or he came in to badmouth the car. Hopefully it isn't the last option tho.

I am a network engineer/computer tech. I'll fix your computer if I can figure out what is wrong. If you bring it to me, I'll diagnose what I can. If you bring it to me, explain the issues, how you can duplicate the issue, etc and have a bit of knowledge, I guarantee I'll work a bit extra harder to make you happy and try to make sure your problem is fixed. It really is human nature, folks relate better to folks that "speak your language".

Of course, it's My Opinion only, and you have yours. Now you see mine and my point of view. I guess it's just my inquisitive nature. I want to know the who, what, when, where, why and how.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Love my '09

Oh, and besides, we do all want to hear the outcome and what the specific issue is/was. Those of us that are early adopters of the 09 don't have a track record of common issues that appear. With the previous 6th gen I had, I had several years of history to look back on compliments of this forum.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:15 AM

for what maximas are going for these days ( 34K ++++ ) they should treat you like the Infinity counterparts....

but all car companies have "lemons" if you will. but they shoudl give u a loan to pimp around with all the hassle you've had to go through.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM

baylor.. i sent you a pm about our houston meets.

anyway i agree with compusmurf. If i had the car, my curiousity as to why the SES light is on would overcome me (especially if i paid 35k and its also just my nature to always want to know whats going on) and i would quickly zip into an autozone parkinglot (they are everywhere where i live) run inside and ask the guy to give me a quick code. 5 -10 minutes of your time there is totally worth the knowledge you will instantly gain and perhaps even some piece of mind. you can post the code on here, get a very prompt response as to what it is (seeing that this thread does have quite a bit of attention directed towards it) and it will probably be something really dumb and you will sigh this huge sigh of relief and feel so much better.

then you can go to the dealer knowing what the code is and what it means (you can even keep it to yourself and see if what they tell you matches up, being that so many dealers lie to you). if things dont seem to match up and they are seeming alittle sneaky about the situation, then go to another dealer and see what they tell you. If i spend 35k and i see that the dealer is not giving me results, i will start to get involved and take action into my own hands to protect my investment. it sucks that you have to do that sometimes but thats how it is. In the perfect world you would get a loaner and the dealer will dedicate their time and effort to you car and make sure you get this issued resolved and strive to make you happy and do whatever it takes....... but unfortunately we dont live in a perfect world.

one of my friends details for a gmc/pontiac dealer in houston and was telling me about 2 of their techs who were fired because they were caught just simply clearing codes and sending cars back to the owners without any work done to them because they were extremely lazy and didnt care in the least bit. the owners grew suspiciouse when ppl kept returning their vehicles repeatedly after the problems arouse again..

your dealer ( or "A" dealer) is going to have to resolve this issue. but you may just have to get involved and put some effort into this ( i hardly consider taking 5 minutes to get a code effortful at all) but yea. this is all just purely my opinion and is would i personaly would do in your situation. so just putting in my .02 (which is the sole intention of this site anyway). good luck.

Last edited by seby86; 09-26-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:17 PM

I agree with the OP I would not take my brand new car to anyone else but the dealer for work either. On several high end cars that I've owned or driven over the past 20 + yrs "Saab, Volvo, Porsche, Mercedes" they all have had the problematic "gas cap" issue. You would think that on a car built for 2009 that problem would have been all but eliminated. I would be highly suspicious of a dealership that replaced my gas cap and told me that that simple act magically fixed the problem.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 PM

I had two SES instances within the first 3 weeks with car. First one was my fault.
I restarted the car ( 103 degrees that day with the kids in the car) after I began fueling. Second one was the click issue. Quick service both times, free details also.
2100 miles and no issues at all. Best fuel mileage to date 24.8 mpg. Worst 19.7 mpg.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:34 PM

Beating a dead horse, but im sure we have all had our fare share of " magical fixes " at dealerships. As one member has already stated, the dealers are out to make money, and warranty work is not going to put any extra cash in there pockets. At the Mitsubishi dealership in Va. Beach a buddy of mine who had a 03 Eclipse kept getting a SES light, we had the codes found out that it was the O2 sensor, dealer fixed it under warranty at least 4 times, after the fifth time the light "never came on again", as i was helping him install some new gages, we noticed that the SES lightbulb was removed, and when it was replaced sure enough the SES light was on. Best thing in this day and age is to have all you ducks in a row, its your 35k sitting there being touched by your dealer, and you only know what they tell you. I dont know about you, but before i take my car to anyone for a issue, ill find out the problem first so i know the are not blowing smoke up my ***. If they replaced your "gas cap", maybe you have a pin hole in one of the weld joints down stream of the cap, if its not at the tank, but in the fill tube odds are you wont see any fuel on the ground.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 PM

^ ^ haha! i've heard of the old remove ses light trick. man thats dirty! i cant believe anyone would do that. but seriously, you cant trust dealers.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm sorry for your misfortune with the new car, it is a shame you have to go through that but I wouldn't let that be indictive of every car that is an 09 Maxima. If you go through the Nissan Consumer Affairs I'm certain that they will give you the best effort to replace, recover or repair your vehicle as they do not want any type of Bad Press with the new Maxima especially at this juncture.
I wish you and your family all the best in getting a working and reliable car even if it isn't an 09 Maxima.

I personally haven't had any issues with my car (knock on wood and God Bless me), even if I did I would not let the fact that a plaguing issue even on a brand new car change my attitude towards all 09 Maximas in general.

Good luck Bro.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by rkurlander
I plunked down $35,000 and have a brand new shiny Maxima sitting in my garage with a "service engine" light. I've been to dealer three times. They've replaced gas cap and re-set light. It's ok for a few days and then back on. This has been going on for three weeks with no resolution in sight. On Monday I'm going to contact Nissan and formally request a refund so I can get a reliable car. Yes, I know, good luck with that.

rkurlander - This may be a meaningless suggestion from your point of view, but just so this thread won't be lost forever as soon as it drops off the front page, would it be possible for you to change the title to 'Service Engine Light problem'? That way, it could be found any time someone had an SEL problem and tried to search the ORG for all threads related to that specific problem.

If you changed the title, you could then, as the first sentence in your post, say something like 'I'm so darned sorry I bought this lousy car I think I'll take a sledge hammer to it on UTube.'

Yes, this is an unusual request, but, in the long run, I feel it could makes this forum much more useful. Please at least consider changing the title.

In the meantime, I am concerned that we have heard absolutely nothing from you since September 15th - over TWO WEEKS AGO. I pray your dealer/Nissan has found and fixed this problem by now. With a new flagship vehicle, this fix should have been priority one.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:53 AM

sorry, i didnt read all the posts.. but from what i understand, here goes.

- a check engine "light" doesn't qualify for the lemon law. same problem being repaired more than 'thrise' does!
- have dealer pull codes, use the $35k as leverage, they will give you a loaner, and have them fix your car, have Nissan North America help you w/ that, if dealer doesn't want to cooperate.
- if you just got it, dealer or whoever may have put different gas in there, then you put in different gas. this can cause a light.
- a check engine light is not a problem, be patient, have them identify and fix the problem.

a light can go on in a $10k Kia as well as a $250k Astin Martin. they are all a piece of metal. my theory, don't spend $35k on a car if things like this bug you.

cheers
Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
rkurlander - This may be a meaningless suggestion from your point of view, but just so this thread won't be lost forever as soon as it drops off the front page, would it be possible for you to change the title to 'Service Engine Light problem'? That way, it could be found any time someone had an SEL problem and tried to search the ORG for all threads related to that specific problem.

If you changed the title, you could then, as the first sentence in your post, say something like 'I'm so darned sorry I bought this lousy car I think I'll take a sledge hammer to it on UTube.'

Yes, this is an unusual request, but, in the long run, I feel it could makes this forum much more useful. Please at least consider changing the title.

In the meantime, I am concerned that we have heard absolutely nothing from you since September 15th - over TWO WEEKS AGO. I pray your dealer/Nissan has found and fixed this problem by now. With a new flagship vehicle, this fix should have been priority one.

I've been out of town for a week (with the Maxima) and was going to provide an update today. The gas cap was replaced for the second time, and apparently it fixed the problem. I want to apologize for over-reacting on this issue, but it was making me a little crazy. I'm no longer sorry about purchasing the car (as long as the stupid light stays off). FYI - trip mpg was excellent @ 27.7 - 1300 miles - 90% freeway.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 AM

I've been out of town for a week (with the Maxima) and was going to provide an update today. The gas cap was replaced for the second time, and apparently it fixed the problem. I want to apologize for over-reacting on this issue, but it was making me a little crazy. I'm no longer sorry about purchasing the car (as long as the stupid light stays off). FYI - trip mpg was excellent @ 27.7 - 1300 miles - 90% freeway.
thats good news.. enjoy the car...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Very good news - this thread itself was also beginning to drive me crazy with no status updates I've started to be pretty **** with my fillups and making sure I click the gas cap at least 5 times before I am happy.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:27 PM

No problem with your reaction; for a busy person, three trips to the dealer for the same problem becomes very annoying. I am so glad they finally seem to have fixed it.

27.7! Higher than the EPA rating for this car for highway driving! The best thing is that MPG sometimes improves slightly after a new car is totally broken in. I have no doubt we will soon see soft-footed folks in a well-broken-in '09 reaching 30 to 32 MPG on all-freeway trips. For a 290 HP car, that is very good.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:16 PM

this may sound really bad, but sometimes even the people at dealerships don't know what they're talking about, but then again you have a brand new car, re-designed, so they had to learn the new maxima, know what I mean.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
this may sound really bad, but sometimes even the people at dealerships don't know what they're talking about, but then again you have a brand new car, re-designed, so they had to learn the new maxima, know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. Most of us are interested only in the Maxima, but those poor sales persons are expected to know everything about all 13 (14?) Nissan vehicles, and every year, several of them are completely redesigned. I take everything they say with more than a grain of salt.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:23 AM

Did the OP ever get this taken care of??
Old 10-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Love my '09

Yes! (And he's happy again with the car)
Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 AM

I know exactly what you mean. Most of us are interested only in the Maxima, but those poor sales persons are expected to know everything about all 13 (14?) Nissan vehicles, and every year, several of them are completely redesigned. I take everything they say with more than a grain of salt.

There are many excellent car salespeople - probably around 30% of the total. The majority are clueless, who wouldn't be knowledgeable if Nissan had 7 vehicles.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I heard if your turn the gas cap and make it click 11 times it makes the CEL come back on. So... be careful.

I apologize for that. Couldn't resist.

Glad you got the problem resolved. New cars can be both a blessing and a curse at times.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by oldngivout
You obviously don't work for a Nissan dealer, nor are you familiar with the ASIST system. The service manual info was in place weeks before the public release of the vehicle.
Sorry for bumping an old thread but..
Ive been with nissan since 2000. Im a Nissan Master Tech. You obviously dont pay enough attention because ASIST and most of our new model ESM's have been a little behind lately. Ive had to call FIX on several occasions recently because ASIST did not yet have the required info. 09MY Murano, and Maxima were both incomplete for sometime. Im not one to call people out but your pompus attitude and ignorant comment was to big of a temptation.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM

Service Engine Soon Just Came On

The day before a trip to Orlando (3hr drive), the SES light came on. Called dealer, they said if it was gas cap related it could take up to 3 days to reset. Had to take the wife's Beamer on the trip instead of my shinny new Max.

Been back a couple of days, light still on. Called them again, they said to bring it in. Service writer said that they have been having "Some Issues.", and that the problem has been a failing control valve in the fuel system.

For those like myself, who were unaware, I was informed that the SES light on steady is just a nuisance, but if it is flashing, the vehicle needs urgent attention.

I Love the car, and I guess I have to deal with the growing pains of a 1st year model.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Took my car in today for the "Serv Eng Soon" light. Spoke to the manager of the service dept. He told me Nissan has engineers from Japan looking into the SES issues with the Maxima, Altima and Murano. They started their fact finding in California and are now in Florida. Prior to their arrival in an area, they are asking dealerships to hold vehicles with SES issues for evaluation.
One of the items they are looking at is production dates of vendor provided canisters. Appearently, there were some serious quality issues, which required a manufacturing process change to correct.
I suppose they want to determine how wide spread the problem is to determine their course of action. They should just issue stop being cheap and issue a damn service bulletin!

Last edited by Radsil09; 11-04-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Newbie just Registered

Don't turn the cap more than 2 or 3 clicks or you could damage the cap.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by SE-R_Tech
Im not one to call people out but your pompus attitude and ignorant comment was to big of a temptation.
Welcome to the forum. Your second post and already you're acting like an a$$.

I don't believe you understood my complete answer, and BTW it was not directed at you anyway. So for you to "call me out" is in fact, out of line.
I realize that every single bit of diagnostic information may not be available at the vehicle genesis to assess every possible problem. The man declared that the service manuals were probably not even finished yet, which I know is not true. Will they continue to be updated throughout the life of the vehicle? Of course. You may have been reading this forum for a while, but you are way behind on your people skills. Spend some more time interacting with the members here, and you will be of much more help to us all.

Go back and read my entire answer. Good grief, some people were actually recommending getting the codes read at AutoZone!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:43 PM

Serv Eng Soon Fix.

Got car back for Serv Eng Soon light. Problem was an Evaporator Cannister Valve. They replaced the cannister. So far, so good.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Radsil09
Got car back for Serv Eng Soon light. Problem was an Evaporator Cannister Valve. They replaced the cannister. So far, so good.

Radsil09 - Approximately how many miles on the odo when this SES light first appeared?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:58 AM

Radsil09 - Approximately how many miles on the odo when this SES light first appeared?

Approx 1500 mi. when it came on, drove it for about another hundred before taking it in.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 AM

haha I felt similar frustration back in 1998, where I was constantly dropping my car off for warranty repair and getting it back in the same condition. Don't worry, it'll be fine in the end.

If it's any consolation, as a BMW owner now, I can assure you you will most likely not have as many issues with your Maxima. The only difference with BMW is that all the maint as well as the warranty is covered for the first 4 years. What that means is that although there are many more issues with BMW, you'll be getting a bill of $0 and driving one of the dealership's loaner BMWs while they take their sweet time in fixing things.

My point is that over the life of the vehicle, I think the Nissan will give not that many major problems and when you check your wallet, not a lot will have to be shelled out on repairs (esp if you can DIY on some things like brakes). I believe I've spent just over 2k on my 1998 SE in repairs and maint. in 10 1/2 years on the road (excluding oil and tires)!