7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally had a chance to play around on a back road

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:28 PM

is there a difference with DS mode and paddle shifting?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Love my '09

Yup.

D ( you can use the paddles, but but when you stop using, it'll go back to D)
Ds is when you move the stick OVER but don't use it to select gears. Also, do NOT use the paddles in this mode or it'll revert to M.
Manual is where the stick is in the Ds mode but you have moved it forwards or backwards. This takes it out of Ds mode.

Paddles, can also be used in D mode for temporary gear changes, in Ds mode to convert to M mode or in M mode for complete manual control.

I believe all this is in the manual too.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by dsm_2xtreme
Diddo. Besides I was reading Car & Driver and they said in in the first sentence: Let's make this clear right now. This is NOT a BMW, or even close. It is not even a sports sedan. I was like OUCH!!!!
At best the Genesis is a 7/10ths car, at least that's what I got out of my second set of test drives (both V-6 and V-8), this time taking my wife along. I didn't notice any excessive oversteer as C&D proclaimed, although I thought the V-6 did turn in better than the V-8 did when I had chance to drive them down a set of downhill esses (SE 192nd St, if you ever happen to find yourself in Renton, WA). Both cards did feel that they were rolling over on their front sidewalls as the pace quickened, but it really didn't seem all that different from the last E-class Benz I tried. Neither car impressed my wife all that much; she made it quite clear that she won't be giving up her Bimmer anytime soon.

I will say that THIS particular dealer I went to--different from the one before--DID apply a second sticker to the Genesis.

I did try the Maxima Premium for the second time, also at a different dealer than from before; this one just as solid as I remember the first Premium did that I tried, but it also seemed like there was minimal torque steer this time around...at least it wasn't as violent as it was with the first Premium I tested. I think the V-6 Gen was still more in its element on the same switchback road than the Max was (understeer was more prominent in the Nissan), but all in all I think I could almost live with this car, except for the fact that I've already got my targets set on the CTS. Hopefully GM won't go under by the time I pull the trigger.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2009 First Trip

I had less than 100 miles on my 09S when I took off on a 500+ mile road trip from Boise to Elko, Nevada. The trip is 80% on two-lane sparsely populated road, with many long straight stretches and quite a few twisty parts. The car pulled to 140mph very easily on three occaisions. At one point, I had averaged 89mph over a 60 mile stretch. Despite this, I still managed to get 22mpg for the whole trip, which is about what I get in the city averaging 25mph.

I don't think the car is terribly impressive off the line, but once it is rolling -- watch out! Freeway entrances are a lot of fun and 60-90mph passing is the best.

The front passenger seat rocks a bit when I stop. The heater is excellent. The base stereo is so-so. The body is phenominal. Huge glovebox. Comfy back seat. Love this car!!!