7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Regular Vs. Premium: Who's using what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by D-STREET-ALTIMA
If Nissan says its recommended that we put premium then they must say it for a reason!!! remember when we fill it up the money is not going to nissan so if they say use 93 .. then im using it!!!

Actually, Nissan does not mention 93 octane. They say to use PREMIUM, and BOTH 93 and 91 octane ARE PREMIUM. 91 is is the highest octane available in parts of the country. As jcalabria mentioned, 91 is the octane Nissan designed this engine for, and any octane higher than 91 has little or no impact on performance.

This car would probably run almost as well on 89 octane, but 89 octane is MIDGRADE, not premium. I would not consider putting 87 octane (REGULAR) in an '09 except in a true emergency, and would put in the least amount I could get by with until I could top off with premium. I would also drive very very gingerly while using regular.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:04 PM

only 93 over here for the 02 maxima
Old 11-23-2008, 07:24 AM

This debate rages on every board regardless of make and model.
I have engaged in it on Acura boards VW boards Audi boards and MB boards.
Ultimately use what you want PERIOD.
I asked the dealer the day of my delivery to NOT put 87 in the car. I would forgo the free fill up if it the dealership uses 87. (they do)
The dealer said it wouldnt make a difference. I pointed out that Nissan must have wasted their money on the sticker in the fuel door then....The dealer countered with it is "recomended" but not essential. I asked if I could use 10W40 oil (I was now baiting him) He said GOD NO...Nissan specfically calls for 5w30. I said "just like 87 vs 93...he changed the subject. I rested my case.
I let them fill it with 87.
I will run it dry and fill with 93 for the rest of my ownership.
The only empirical knowledge I have, in my history with cars is that I truly notice a difference and can actually tell when the 07 Honda Odyssey in our fleet has a belly full of 87 cause it knocks like crazy. It knocks less with 89 and not at all with 93.
I had a Chevy Beretta in H.S. with a Quad-4 (dont laugh) It ran like poop on 87
I notice no difference in the following vehicles in our fleet past and present Regardless of fuel used.
Audi A6 03 06 and 08
VW Passat 99, 01, 04, 06
E Class MB 97, 00,03, 05, 08
Acura MDX & TL 03, 05, 08
Cadi Deville 02, 05, 08

HOWEVER...YOUR actual mileage and expierience may vary.

Just my .02 nothing more.
happy motoring.
JDP
Old 11-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by fdcarguy
I let them fill it with 87.
I will run it dry and fill with 93 for the rest of my ownership.
JDP

Please do not run your Maxima tank dry, as this risks damaging the fuel pump, which is inside the tank and depends on being immersed in fuel to prevent overheating. Should you accidentally run out of gas, you risk damaging the catalytic converter.

Also, why not top off with premium after using a third or half of the tank of 87? The higher compression of the '09 Maxima (higher than previous gens) would love it.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 PM

I've used premium (93 octane here in Houston) since I bought it in August.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 PM

I meant "run dry" loosely...
I refueled when the light came on..
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The 2009 is for sure quicker with premium fuel. 10-15 HP I bet.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 PM

my wife has a 06 g35 with 22k on the clock i run 89 or even 87 in it because it is a lease and i do notice sometimes a knock but not much. and little delay when getting on the gas.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Im using 93 for my 03.

Glad gas prices have dropped.

LOL
Old 12-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Shell or Chevron 91 octane on my '96. It's a 5-speed and I average around 30 mpg so I don't mind spending a little more for premium.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:21 AM

you baught a brand car that is most likely more than 30grand and dont want to put 93 octane? are you efin kidding me?!?!? and the user maual says premium fuel only!

im a college student who work part time making like 8 buck an hour and i get BP 93 gas on my every single time. no matter how expensive it is.

some of you guys grown men with full time jobs, you guys should ashamed of your selves if you put anything other than 93 or highest available octane level on your new maxima.

some car manufactures are starting to state how much HP you will loose on reguler vs. premium. i.e hyundai with their v8 genesis sedan.

(sorry if i sound really angry, coffee does wierd things)

Last edited by dineth00i30; 12-08-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:40 AM

Four months ago we were paying more than $4 a gallon for regular. Today premium is about $1.90. There shouldn't be any debate here.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:56 PM

I have always followed the owners manual especially since she is 30K+ car I have not used anything less than 91 oct. And even more so now with gas prices finally coming back down to earth, here in Missouri reg unleaded is at $1.33 in most places and at one pump I have found it at $1.21 with the Premium 91 oct at $1.55 it cost me $24.50 to fill up the other day and I almost cried!!!!!

I used to have a big @ss truck that used to cost me over a bill (100.00) to fill from empty. I love my MAX!!!!! I am currenty averaging 24 mpg over the last three tanks, that's cruzing the highway at 75-80. I am sure I could get more if I throttled her back down to 60-65 on the road but I hate getting passed :-)
Old 12-25-2008, 10:02 PM

We have 100 octane race fuel at the local 76 Station! I tried it on my old Altima SE-R, it ran nicely a bit smoother, power was normal. I'll probably try it one day on my 7th Gen. I need to fill up my Dad's Italian big boy with that, I think in that I will find a difference!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:03 PM

I use 93 Sunoco all the time in my 02 maxima and 2006 altima SE-R....the price difference is like 2 cents from 91 octane and gas is now cheap, so as others said - who cares?

Haha, just wait till it shoots up to $4 a gallon and then this thread will become hot again
Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM

always use premium
Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great forum, I just had to sign up...this is my 1st new car after all!!

I've been hunting for gas stations with no ethanol mixed in the gas. I found one BP here (N. Alabama)...I was curious, does the brand BP, Chevron, Shell etc. determine whether or not they mix in ethanol or is it the individual station? I remember when Chevron didn't have ethanol, now they do. I'm not really sure I want my new car running on those blends.

Anyone feel the same way? Know of any brands that don't mix in ethanol in the SE U.S.? Where do you guys buy gas?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
Light, what you state WAS true in the days before knock sensors and computer controlled ignition timing (or in a lab test where ignition timing is not a variable). In the days of fixed ignition curves, if there was no knock, there was no point in using premium fuel. There is nothing inherent in premium fuel that would deliver more power or MPG under those circumstances. HOWEVER, the return of high compression engines coupled to knock sensors and variable ignition timing has introduced a way that octane CAN effect both torque and efficiency.

Higher compression ratios are directly related to higher torque output at lower fuel consumption rates, so engine designers like higher compression ratios. Like everything else, higher compression ratios have a downside: the higher cylinder pressures they create increase the likelihood of destructive knocking. In comes higher octane fuel to the rescue... its higher resistance to knock - its ONLY redeeming quality - keeping engines from self destructing.

Now everybody is happy, EXCEPT that premium fuel might not always be available. So modern engines are equipped with a secondary defense against knocking.... retarding ignition timing to lower cylinder pressures, initiated when microphonic sensors detect knocking in progress.

What effect does retarding ignition timing have? It REDUCES torque and INCREASES fuel consumption, throwing away the gains in that area created by the higher compression ratio in the first place.

If you are using regular fuel in your high compression, knock sensor equipped Maxima, just because you haven't heard knocking doesn't mean that it didn't occur... the knock sensor just heard it first and the engine went into self preservation mode, retarding ignition and, inescapably, reducing torque and increasing fuel consumption.

In the end, cars that recommend premium fuel are just giving you the choice of either allowing the fuel to prevent knocking in the first place or to rely on compromised ignition timing to suppress the knocking when it inevitably occurs. What makes the most sense for a particular driver depends on a few factors, but mainly on the price differential between fuel grades and how often the car is driven in under knock-conducive conditions.

If you are running predominantly in steady state highway cruise mode, save your money and use regular fuel because you are not likely to be creating much knock under those conditions. The best candidates for taking advantage of premium fuel are economy minded MT or CVT drivers who short shift in low speed traffic and allow the engine to run under high load at low engine speed - prime knocking territory. Everything else falls somewhere in between.

BTW, the removal of the word "recommended" in the 7G's premium fuel requirement statement indicates that Nissan has pushed engine parameters sufficiently far enough - to increase both output and fuel efficiency - that ignition retardation may no longer be sufficient to prevent knock under everyday driving conditions. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about using anything but premium fuel in a 7G. However, if your driving conditions are not particularly conducive to knock, you might get away with regular or mid-grade fuel. I'd recommend listening awfully closely for knock if you make that risky choice.
Thanks for the informative post, J!

Blaxima is my new daily driver. I put roughly 1000 miles a week driving to and from work, mostly highway miles each direction. I fill up three times a week. Five to 10 dollars more a fill-up is going to add close to $100 dollars to an already ridiculously high monthly gas bill.

I knew going in that this car was going to cost me more in gas than my Sentra did. Adding the cost of premium fuel on top of that is just not bearable for me at this point. I'd love to get the most out of this engine as possible but it's either the car or taking the wife out. Since I do have the car I wanted, might as well take care of the missus.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
you baught a brand car that is most likely more than 30grand and dont want to put 93 octane? are you efin kidding me?!?!? and the user maual says premium fuel only!

im a college student who work part time making like 8 buck an hour and i get BP 93 gas on my every single time. no matter how expensive it is.

some of you guys grown men with full time jobs, you guys should ashamed of your selves if you put anything other than 93 or highest available octane level on your new maxima.

some car manufactures are starting to state how much HP you will loose on reguler vs. premium. i.e hyundai with their v8 genesis sedan.

(sorry if i sound really angry, coffee does wierd things)
Not to bust your chops man, but you're a college student? I know we don't get graded on our posts but it does add a little more credibility to what you're saying if you say it (spell it) correctly.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 PM

SMH
Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM

When gas prices were $4.00 for 87 octane and $4.20 for 91 octane it only cost $3.00 dollars more to fill the tank with 15 gallons of premium.

15 gal X $4.00 = $60.00 = 360 mile range @ 24 MPG
15 gal X $4.20 = $63.00 = 375 mile range @ 25 MPG

The extra $3.00 will get you 15 miles farther down the road.
$3.00 saved buying 87 octane will get you 3/4 gallon which = 18 miles down the road.

You are not saving anything buying 87 octane, and you will enjoy the car a lot more using premium.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
When gas prices were $4.00 for 87 octane and $4.20 for 91 octane it only cost $3.00 dollars more to fill the tank with 15 gallons of premium.

15 gal X $4.00 = $60.00 = 360 mile range @ 24 MPG
15 gal X $4.20 = $63.00 = 375 mile range @ 25 MPG

The extra $3.00 will get you 15 miles farther down the road.
$3.00 saved buying 87 octane will get you 3/4 gallon which = 18 miles down the road.

You are not saving anything buying 87 octane, and you will enjoy the car a lot more using premium.

This 7th gen should not be driven with 87 octane. It does fine with 89 octane (midgrade) or higher (premium). But several here who tried regular found their cars would barely run. Some here are running regular, but I personally feel 87 octane is so far from the intended (91) octane fuel for this vehicle that they are causing their fuel system/engine to run inefficiently.

Gas prices vary widely, even within the same region. Around where I live, the gap between 87 and 91 octanes reached 54 cents/gallon at one time, and has almost never been below 30 cents.

But by using midgrade, I save 15 cents per gallon, which is only around $2.50 saved per tankful. I did not drop to midgrade as much to save money as because I have found all my Maximas (at least one from every gen going back to Oct 1984) have all performed exactly the same and gotten exactly the same MPG on midgrade as on premium.

Of course the 20,000 posters here each know what is best for their baby. For most, they simply use premium, because that leaves no doubt in their mind that they have done the best they can do to pamper their car.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Mine runs great on 87 Octane. I do get mid grade and premium on occasion though. No knocks and 29 mpg at cruise.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the dialogue and numbers, fellas. I'll start putting in premium and post back with the differences in a few weeks. As it is now, with regular, I can get over 550 miles out of a full tank, at an average of 65+ MPH highway driving.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM

I had this debate with my wife who believes that unleaded is fine. I disagree. So we put it to the test. Yeah, my premium won.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by T200
Thanks for the dialogue and numbers, fellas. I'll start putting in premium and post back with the differences in a few weeks. As it is now, with regular, I can get over 550 miles out of a full tank, at an average of 65+ MPH highway driving.
Keep in mind that we go to higher octanes for performance, acceleration, etc, not higher MPG.

Urban rumors to the contrary, both scientists and folks who very carefully measure their MPG over an extended period of months know the MPG will not change by moving to premium, as MPG is not directly connected to octane. Of course that assumes the engine was running efficiently on regular; many 7th gen Maximas run very poorly on 87 octane.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 PM

93 all day long, Sticker's 39k, I mean cmon it aint no Camry. Do0nt cheap out when it comes to gas.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by T200
Blaxima is my new daily driver. I put roughly 1000 miles a week driving to and from work, mostly highway miles each direction. I fill up three times a week. Five to 10 dollars more a fill-up is going to add close to $100 dollars to an already ridiculously high monthly gas bill.
I traveled 1000 miles a week in my 06 Maxima, premium gas did much better with the mpg, try it, when I accidentally got regular it threw my fill up cycle off

I've only ever used 93, and I was doing the 1000 miles a week when gas was like 5 bucks for premium and people had the nerve to ***** about 4 dollar 87, when standing in line at the cashier buying cigarettes and scratch offs
Old 07-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Keep in mind that we go to higher octanes for performance, acceleration, etc, not higher MPG.

Urban rumors to the contrary, both scientists and folks who very carefully measure their MPG over an extended period of months know the MPG will not change by moving to premium, as MPG is not directly connected to octane. Of course that assumes the engine was running efficiently on regular; many 7th gen Maximas run very poorly on 87 octane.
Very true! The greatest impact of higher grade fuel is more high dollar detergents for our engines. Detergents mean that fuel is not such a rude dirty, thing that it used to be, unless you buy 87. When you buy premium fuel, rest assured that you are buying the clean stuff for your engine, if you buy at the right places. Shell, BP, Exxon, and other Major "Fuel" suppliers use better detergents in higher concentrations. They have to do so to preserve their brand equity. They cannot risk otherwise, so these are safe bets. Marathon, Kangaroo, Lil Champ, etc. do not specialize in gas, but rather convenience. You will not get as good gas quality with them.

I use nothing but 93 octane. If I had the right storage place to do it, I'd probably buy barrels of toluene and mix my own gas for even higher octane. But, then again, I am an engineer. Of course I want the best!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by supared
Very true! The greatest impact of higher grade fuel is more high dollar detergents for our engines. Detergents mean that fuel is not such a rude dirty, thing that it used to be, unless you buy 87. When you buy premium fuel, rest assured that you are buying the clean stuff for your engine, if you buy at the right places. Shell, BP, Exxon, and other Major "Fuel" suppliers use better detergents in higher concentrations. They have to do so to preserve their brand equity. They cannot risk otherwise, so these are safe bets. Marathon, Kangaroo, Lil Champ, etc. do not specialize in gas, but rather convenience. You will not get as good gas quality with them.

I use nothing but 93 octane. If I had the right storage place to do it, I'd probably buy barrels of toluene and mix my own gas for even higher octane. But, then again, I am an engineer. Of course I want the best!
Like you, I must admit I stick to major names (I use Chevron, BP and Shell), because I never feel completely comfortable with gasoline brands like Spur, UFO, etc. Also, I never drop below midgrade, because midgrade is a mixture of regular and premium, so I do get some detergent cleaning.

I have had a pattern I have rigidly followed for a few decades (all with Maximas, of course). I use only premium the first 18 months after buying my Maxima, carefully measuring fuel efficiency. Then I switch to midgrade until time for my next Maxima (first model year of every generation), continuing to carefully measure fuel efficiency and try to note any difference in performance.

My fuel efficiency has never changed between midgrade and premium. I am not an aggressive driver. But if I was doing elapsed time runs, I would expect premium fuel to have the best time by a smidgen. I have never put regular in any of my Maximas.

If I lived where premium was only a dime more than midgrade, I wouldn't bother with midgrade. But stations around me have large gaps between grades. The difference between regular and premium near me varies from 30 cents per gallon to 55 cents per gallon (when gas hit its all time high a few years back). I could afford to pay the ridiculous difference, but choose to put my money in treasury bills instead.

I agree that using premium over midgrade would probably leave the engine cleaner, and using premium over regular would make for a much cleaner engine, hence running more efficiently.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've got 136k mi. on my '09 and I mainly use 89 oct. I will randomly fill up with 93 oct. I've had no engine issues the entire time.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 AM

LMAO... More detergents? They all have the same detergents 87,89,91,93... The only difference is That 87 has a lower activation energy than 93. So it can with stand the higher compression and won't prematurely combust (knocking) other than that they are the same gasoline with the same detergents 'so rest assured' whether you buy 87 or 93 your getting the same quality of gasoline... Quality is based on brand, and even that is a slim difference.

Originally Posted by supared

Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 AM

Owners Manual says Premium, Gas Door Sticker says Premium..........I'm using Premium

Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Actually it 'recommends' premium...

Put whatever you want in this has been discussed 10000000000000000000000 times on this forum... These need to be INSTANTLY locked.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by maxxxxspeed
LMAO... More detergents? They all have the same detergents 87,89,91,93... The only difference is That 87 has a lower activation energy than 93. So it can with stand the higher compression and won't prematurely combust (knocking) other than that they are the same gasoline with the same detergents 'so rest assured' whether you buy 87 or 93 your getting the same quality of gasoline... Quality is based on brand, and even that is a slim difference.
FWIW, Where this idea may have come from..
Consumer Reports reported on detergents added to gas about 15-20 years ago. At the time, they found that Hess and Texaco added the same detergents in their 87 octane as they did in the 93. The other brands did not. So, they reported that Hess and Texaco were the best stations to use if you use 87 and think the additives are good for your engine.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 PM

I always run 91 octane in my 2011 Max.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by steevo
FWIW, Where this idea may have come from..
Consumer Reports reported on detergents added to gas about 15-20 years ago. At the time, they found that Hess and Texaco added the same detergents in their 87 octane as they did in the 93. The other brands did not. So, they reported that Hess and Texaco were the best stations to use if you use 87 and think the additives are good for your engine.
Quality of gas, oil and everything car related has improved many times over in the last 15-20 years, I would never suggest putting 20 year old oil or gas in a 7th gen Maxima.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by STARR
I would never suggest putting 20 year old oil or gas in a 7th gen Maxima.
Gotta love a guy with a great sense of humor.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 AM

always premium
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Thumbs up

Just to give everyone an update...

First, thanks for all of the suggestions and opinions - very valuable.

I decided to go with premium for my last fill-up. Man! What a difference! This car was already a joy to drive. Now it seems to have gotten a shot of adrenaline because the response is just instantaneous.

As far as the gas mileage... well, I can't keep my foot out of it and drive like a normal human being to actually gauge my mileage!

Quick Reply: Regular Vs. Premium: Who's using what?