7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Fill Up. First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM

First Fill Up. First Impressions

My 1999 Maxima needed over $2200.00 in repairs, 1300 of which to pass inspection, so I thought it was time for a new car. Enter 2009 Nissan Maxima.

I'm leasing the base model, in dark slate. I just finished my first tank and I'd like to give off some of my impressions.

Styling:
I like the aesthetics of the car, especially the front end. The front end has a more aggressive stance than the 6th generation (IMO). The rear end is nice, but I do not think it's spectacular.

I do love the molding around the rear fenders, it gives the Maxima some nice lines. I also really like the way the hood looks sitting from the driver sear.

I'm into dark colors, specifically. I didn't like the black maxima, so I chose the dark slate, and am very pleased about it.

Performance:
The butt dyno can definitely feel the power improvement (obviously, coming from a 4th gen), but you can also feel the fact that this is a heavy car. I'm not a total engine enthusiast, so I do not have much more to say about that.

I'm surprised at the gas mileage on my car. Maybe because my driving habits have gotten less aggressive, but I reached close to 26mpg average. Tons better than my 21-22 99 maxima. We will see how that changes after the car has broken in fully.

CVT:
I can drive a manual car no problem, but I do prefer to drive automatic. The feel of the CVT is controversial in my opinion. At first I thought I'd like not feeling the gears shift as much (more of a luxurious drive), but I sometimes do feel that something is missing when you don't feel the gears engage. Even if a manual were offered, I would have stuck with the CVT. I guess I will just have to adapt to the way the CVT feels when I'm driving.

I haven't tried the Ds mode on the car. I will wait until the car breaks in fully to try and use that.

Interior:
I got the cloth interior, and I feel that the material that they use definitely attracts a lot of particles. I had cloth in my 99 maxima, and I can honestly say, I rarely saw any blemishes on it. Maybe it is because it's black vs. the gray in my 99, but I feel that I will be vacuuming my car very often.

I like the carbon fiber accents in the center console.

I would have liked it if the center console could free-stand when accessing the bottom compartment. It barely holds its balance when accessing the top compartment. It would have benefited if there was some resistance so that I did not have to always hold the box up while accessing things inside the glove box.

I'm not an audiophile, so my only comment on the stock sound system is that it sounds fine to me.

The dashboard of the car is nicely arranged. However, the button to change the primary display is awkwardly placed IMO. I would have liked to have the display buttons on the steering wheel. Maybe it's because I have a new car that I use it way more than I have to, but it's pain reaching over to press the buttons.

The main display in the center console is much too big, since there is not much information displayed. I guess it is to accommodate the GPS on higher-end models, but I feel that it should at least display song-title and artist of the station I'm listening to on the radio. Good thing, however, is that my Garmin Nuvi 200 fits nicely on the screen without covering up the essential info. I just use the suction mount on the screen, and my windshield is still completely visible.

I really like the fact that the base model has folding down seats. This is a situational advantage, as I can see it both ways. I like to snowboard, so having the back seats fold down (in either arrangement) is very beneficial to me.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask
-Mark
Old 11-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Congrats on the MAX. I'm interested in seeing how the garmin looks attached to your main display. Can you post some pics, or PM me pics (either way) I have a garmin and I use the center console.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 AM

I will try to take a picture when I get home today after work. If I can't get good lighting, I might take it this weekend and post it.

The only problem I see with using your GPS on the screen is that it seems you have the widescreen garmin. It might cover up too much of your screen, but that obviously your preference.

I like it because I can still see the radio station playing and the temperature (in auto mode)

I may try your setup, however, because I hate seeing the cable running all the way to the screen.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:38 PM

mark - Interesting review. Nice to have a review that goes deeper than zero to sixty time. I agree with you that driving a CVT is an 'acquired taste'. The more miles and years a driver has driven, and the more attuned he is to the workings of his car, the greater adjustment a CVT requires. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM

@lightonthehill:
Yeah, I just tried to give a regular driver (although maxima enthusiast) perspective. Another thing that I found rather annoying is the remaining miles until empty display. I wanted to see how the car managed with only about a gallon or two left in the tank. When the miles remaining meter reached 15 miles left, it blacked out, only blinking dashes. I guess it's more of a "Gas up now you fool" safety measure, but it wasn't something I expected, nor much appreciate.

@Radsil09:
These pix were taken at night. Quite clear, as you can still see the radio station and the temperature (on passenger's side).
I can't remember if the station is usually cut off on the left and I just really remember the station, or while driving I see the whole station.

Anywhos, this should give a decent example of how it looks. Enjoy

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/46976/GPS1.jpg
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/46976/GPS2.jpg
Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Enjoy it!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the pics

My Nuvi is a little bit bigger (Nuvi 850, 4.3" screen), it would pretty much block the entire display. That's why I was curious to see your mount. Your's looks good though. Here are a couple of pics of the console mount. I like it there because of easy access for entries. The drawback is eyepoint perspective, but voice guidance with street names compensates for that.

http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?im...thebackex7.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?i...hgarminpl7.jpg

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?i...innighttz4.jpg

@Radsil09:
These pix were taken at night. Quite clear, as you can still see the radio station and the temperature (on passenger's side).
I can't remember if the station is usually cut off on the left and I just really remember the station, or while driving I see the whole station.

Anywhos, this should give a decent example of how it looks. Enjoy

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/46976/GPS1.jpg
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/46976/GPS2.jpg[/quote]
Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by markargente
Another thing that I found rather annoying is the remaining miles until empty display. I wanted to see how the car managed with only about a gallon or two left in the tank. When the miles remaining meter reached 15 miles left, it blacked out, only blinking dashes. I guess it's more of a "Gas up now you fool" safety measure, but it wasn't something I expected, nor much appreciate.

I think this is sort of standard; at least this is the way my miles-to-empty has usually operated on earlier Maximas (beginning with my two '85s). The reading when the 'miles-to-empty' gets very low is meaningless anyway, because the fuel pump is inside the gas tank, and it is cooled by being submerged in gasoline.

Because of this, we are not supposed to be using the last few gallons of this 20 gallon tank. Nissan tries to handle this by showing the tank empty when there is actually several gallons left. On the 6th gen, most folks here found the fuel light came on with around 4 or 5 gallons left, and the gas guage read empty with around 3 or 4 gallons left.

In four and a half years of driving my 6th gen, I have never let the tank get lower than two or three gallons left, and usually I fill up with 5 or so left, because I am very conscious of many situations where having only a few gallons could be very troublesome. For instance, should the power go out in the area in which I live (and it has done that many times over the years), gas pumps don't work, and I can't get gas.

I used to play the 'how much further can I go on this tank' game back in the '50s and '60s, but I don't play that game anymore; Ain't worth it.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:57 AM

@lightonthehill

I agree. I personally haven't dealt with using a car that showed remaining miles, so I assumed it was standard. Me doing that reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer test drove a car until empty.

Yeah, I'll never go that low again. I was just doing my own tests (also knowing that there were gas stations near by)
Old 11-05-2008, 08:16 AM

Yes, same here.
My mechanic friends have always advised me that it's nothing but bad news if you keep on making it a habit to let the low fuel light turn on.

So far, I've never let my Max get lower than a quarter tank of gas.
I also love how much money I am saving with gas with my 09 Max. (My previous vehicle was a 01 Pathfinder).

e.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 AM

@e...
Yeah. I know also from experience. Often times it could throw a check engine light as well. Enjoy the maxima. Although, I really do like the older Pathfinders too. They were great and durable. The new ones (IMO) are fugly and too squished since they put that third row in.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:10 AM

I was told not to let the tank get too low or it will take the "stuff" that settles to the bottom of the tank through the system. Conversley, I would think that letting it run down and filling would keep the "stuff" from getting there in the first place.

2nd fill up and still happy.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by 09SV
I was told not to let the tank get too low or it will take the "stuff" that settles to the bottom of the tank through the system. Conversley, I would think that letting it run down and filling would keep the "stuff" from getting there in the first place.

2nd fill up and still happy.

There really isn't 'stuff' in gasoline these days, unless an underground tank springs a leak and water gets in; very rare. And letting it run down would bring anything that happend to be down there into the injectors. Not good at all.

But all that is not important. The thing that IS important is that the fuel pump is INSIDE the fuel tank, and DEPENDS ON BEING IMMERSED IN GASOLINE in order to keep from overheating.

This is exactly why Nissan has the low fuel warning system set up to show empty well before the tank is really low. On my 6th gen, the low fuel light comes on with five gallons left in the twenty gallon tank. Most 6th gens gave that warning with between four and six gallons left. I assume the '09 has not changed that much.

Nissan has recommended for many years that the fuel tank should never be run low except in emergencies. Should you run out of fuel, you may have damaged both your fuel pump and your catalytic converter. Of course you can get both those repaced for a thousand bucks or so at your friendly local Nissan dealer.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Reset for Trip Information

I just got my new 2009 with the Premium and Technology packages 5 days ago. Does anyone know how to reset the mpg/mpg/time elapsed functions in the trip information display above the steeting wheel (where the temperature is displayed)? I reset the fuel economy screen on the 7 inch display, but that had no impact on the other readout. I also reset the Trip A and B counter, but that had no impact either.

I traded in an Infiniti FX35. I was kind of tired of the SUV scene. One thing I did like on the FX35 is that the mpg displayed on the 7 inch screen was a numeral not a bar graph as on the Maxima.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 AM

I have the base model, so idk if it's different.

Behind the steering wheel, on the left, there are two buttons. One looks like two squares, one behind the other, and the other one is a circle.

The first button scrolls between the display on the dash. If you hold down the circle button, it'll reset whatever screen you're at.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks!

I tried pushing that button this weekend, but it didn't seem to work. I tried it tonight, and held it in for a little longer, and it worked. Thanks for the answer!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 AM

I went about 10 miles with the trip range on all dashes before reaching a gas station. When I filled up, it was for about 17.5 gallons.

It looks like the digital MPG is spot-on. I just did a trip from NYC to DC this past weekend and am averaging about 23 MPG (I do have a bit of a lead-foot), and when doing manual calculating (tripodometer to fill up, etc) it came out to 23 MPG as well.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Among maxima owners who live in Canada (since km and miles difference)
how many kms did you guys get for first tank? mine was about 400. i was pretty shocked, so i called my dealer, and he said it will consume more gas when it's new.
does this make sense? and would efficiency improve as drive more? and on nissan maxima homepage, 09 maxima's fuel economy for city driving is about 10.9 l/ 100km
and on display in my maxima, it's showing like,, 15.5 l/100km. i understand little margin but,, 10.9l and 15.5l,,,, that's like V6 and V8 difference... anybody having same issue, plz explain it for me?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 PM

anyone??????????????
Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Steve31Jo
anyone??????????????

I'm not in Canada, and am still driving my 6th gen, but I will try to help.

MPG for city/local driving is usually not very good with most cars, and varies greatly with driving style. It is true that most vehicles get slightly worse MPG right at first. I would not pay too much attention to the onboard computer; some folks find theirs is fairly close, but others find theirs is not so accurate. In city/local driving, I have gotten around 20 to 22 MPG on all my Maximas going back to 1985. In suburban driving I usually get 22 to 24. On long trips on fairly clear freeways, I usually get between 26 and 30, depending on conditions.

To really get a feeling for your MPG, you need to take a long freeway trip where you have no stop-and-go situations or interference from other traffic. The first two posters here on the ORG to do that with their '09 Maximas got 30 and 32 MPG. For a 290HP 3600 lb vehicle, those are excellent numbers.

Maybe a Canadian poster will show up here to help you more specifically with your situation.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:35 AM
mwh

varying viewpoint

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
There really isn't 'stuff' in gasoline these days, unless an underground tank springs a leak and water gets in; very rare. And letting it run down would bring anything that happend to be down there into the injectors. Not good at all..
I pull the carburator off my motorcycle once per year to clean and change jets and there is always sediment in the bowl, and this is what gets past the filter element inside my gas tank. I always use 93 octane.
Also, I had read elsewhere that the reason the tank empty light comes on early in new cars is that if a FI engine runs out of gas it will burn out the injectors.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mwh
Also, I had read elsewhere that the reason the tank empty light comes on early in new cars is that if a FI engine runs out of gas it will burn out the injectors.

That may be an additional reason, but according to Nissan, the primary reasons for the 'quick empty' light in Maximas are (1) - the fuel pump, which is inside the gas tank, must stay immersed in gasoline for proper cooling, and (2) - running out of gas can damage the very expensive catalytic converter.