7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was rear ended tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:53 PM

I was rear ended tonight!

I was rear ended by a Nissan Versa tonight. I'm ok and my passengers are ok, but I'm heart broken.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Sorry mate, but at least everyone is ok.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Glad everyone is ok man. How bad is your Max hurt? Any pics? What did you insurance say?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 PM

My rear passenger Quarter panel is hanging off, above that the end of the rear light is sticking out, trunk lid is way out of alignment and sticking up on the drivers side, the rear bumper is pushed in and the underside of the bumper is showing, cracked tail light housings,

She hit me with such impact that I was forced in to another car in front, but thankfully I had the breaks applied when she hit me and the damage to the front may be minor. i know the front panel around the hood line and the pass headlight is out of alignment and the Nissan badge is gone. My power seat mechanism is messed up too and my seat REALLY rocks back and forth now!

Even though I'm very hurt that this happened, her car had airbag deployment! Her Versa was a total loss. She was going at a pretty good rate of speed and was too close to me to begin with. I normally will change a lane if someone is following to close, but this time I didn't have a chance to because of the amount of traffic and people in front were following to close. I wouldn't have hit the car in front if she didn't hit me.

I called Nationwide while we were waiting for the trooper to show and they emailed me all of the repair and rental car info.

I have not had a car accident since I was maybe 17 or 18yrs old and now I'm 40. I never worry about the person in front of me, always the person behind me that may not be paying attention and it finally happened to me.

I haven't had the car a full 2 months yet. I praise Nissan for the safety and integrity of this vehicle.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Ughhh that's too bad to hear...hope she got a ticket or something, especially if she was tailgating you beforehand
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Old 11-09-2008, 08:43 PM

I really can't bring myself to take pics yet.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 AM

So I'm guessing your airbags didn't deploy?

Glad you are ok, but I think some of us would like to see how the new maxima is with safety. So pictures please.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by darklegend06
So I'm guessing your airbags didn't deploy?
Had the Versa hit the Maxima this hard from the front, the front bags would almost certainly have deployed. Had it hit from the side, the shoulder and curtain side bags would probably have deployed. But when the full impact of the collision is from the rear, bags often don't go off, as the impact of the 'flying bodies' would be toward the (cushioned) seats, not be toward the front or side of the car where airbags would help.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Banned

no pics no care.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 AM

Very sorry to hear of your accident. At least the crushable zones built into the rear of the Maxima functioned properly. And you're correct in thinking that the airbags didn't go off from the rearward impact. My elderly mother has a Versa and I'm glad the safety systems in these modern Nissans are very much state-of-the-art.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested in hearing what the damage estmate turns out to be. You were certainly in a serious crash, but I'm certain your Maxima can be reoaired to like-new status.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:13 PM

First, and foremost, thank goodness you did not get hurt...

Second...(don't assume that I am jumping to conclusions), but was she on the cellphone?

Finally...IT IS TIME THAT OUR GOVERNMENT FINALLY TAKES THEIR HEAD OUT OF THEIR ***** AND BAN THE USE OF CELLPHONES WHILE DRIVING!!!

NO ARGUMENT PLEASE! IT'S RIDICULOUS!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM

so you were "rear-ended" tonight huh?

lol jk

Good to hear everyone is safe, sorry about your car
Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned

thread is worthless without pics but glad everybody is okay... cars can be replaced and lives cant be....
Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Got Retrofit?

Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Had the Versa hit the Maxima this hard from the front, the front bags would almost certainly have deployed. Had it hit from the side, the shoulder and curtain side bags would probably have deployed. But when the full impact of the collision is from the rear, bags often don't go off, as the impact of the 'flying bodies' would be toward the (cushioned) seats, not be toward the front or side of the car where airbags would help.
I wished my airbags deployed so that I didn't have to suffer almost a whole year of soft tissue injuries from whiplash. I had about 3" of space left between the bridge of my nose and the steering wheel when the car that rear ended me pushed me hard into the car in front of me.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I did take some pics and I have to upload them. As of now the estimate is above 3k. The body shop guy said he has to pull the rear bumper off to see what damage is under that as well. If it wasn't for the fact that I was on the brakes already when she hit me, I would've hit the car in front harder than I did. I know she was following to close, but I'm not sure if she was on the phone or not. I know she got on the phone afterwards!!

Thanks for everyones concern!!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 AM

Glad to hear you are alright... 2 months? Ouch...
Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by Torgus
no pics no care.
That's a nice thing to say.

OP
Sorry to hear about the accident.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UnMaTcHeD
That's a nice thing to say.

OP
Sorry to hear about the accident.
any thread that says i was in an accident/crash/etc without pics should be immediately closed with the OP having every next post end up saying 'i fail at making threads' instead of what he types.

seriously.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Banned

exactly.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:44 PM

NEED PICS! but glad ur ok!!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Sorry.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Back in the Max

no pics no care.
WTF???

Anyways sorry to hear about your loss.....

These couple of weeks i have had my Maxima I have been very over cautious, I think its the whole new car thing, I cant wait to get comfortable in this car....
Old 11-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Back in the Max

any thread that says i was in an accident/crash/etc without pics should be immediately closed with the OP having every next post end up saying 'i fail at making threads' instead of what he types.

seriously.
you fail bro.

He got into an accident, the last thing that is on his mind is let me get pics for Maxima.org so I can prove myself to Torgus.

When he is good and ready and if he cares to share pics he will.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 PM

I was rear ended a few years back in my LS 400. I was hit at maybe 3 mph but it was enough to pop the trunk and bend the frame; the gap between the rear quarter panel and the rear door closed up! The car had to be "stretched out" for about two weeks. It cost $2100 :-o It was a horrible time.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by EEMaxima
I was rear ended a few years back in my LS 400. I was hit at maybe 3 mph but it was enough to pop the trunk and bend the frame; the gap between the rear quarter panel and the rear door closed up! The car had to be "stretched out" for about two weeks. It cost $2100 :-o It was a horrible time.

Things can get very frustrating. My wife ordered a special-made truck from Ford, and she had to reorder three times over two months before the computer in Dearborn would accept it. A month after the truck arrived, a woman on a cell phone in a Suburban ran a red light, broadsided my wife's truck, turning it upside down. The truck was hauled to the Ford dealer on January 7th, and on June 17th (over five months and three repair shop managers later), the truck was finally fixed.

Many things happened to that truck during the half-year it sat on the dealer's repair lot, including all the glass shot out in a drive-by shooting, the wheels and tires taken in a theft, a torrential downpour filling the footwells when the windows were left down, and the incorrect panelized stripes (at $625 a set) being applied twice before getting it right. Very frustrating.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joeynym
you fail bro.

He got into an accident, the last thing that is on his mind is let me get pics for Maxima.org so I can prove myself to Torgus.

When he is good and ready and if he cares to share pics he will.
Ok, so he just wanted us(random people on the internet mind you) to console him on his loss then right? is that why he made this thread?

so people go: "oh so sorry for your loss"

pahlease.

if that's the case the thread fails even more.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 PM

Ok, so he just wanted us(random people on the internet mind you) to console him on his loss then right? is that why he made this thread?

so people go: "oh so sorry for your loss"

pahlease.

if that's the case the thread fails even more.
I thought that this was a place where we could get together and discuss things accidents being one of them.

I REALLY hope that you don't go through this! You wanting to see pics of MY damaged vehicle so you can get some satisfaction out of it is beyond me. I WILL POST PICS WHEN I FEEL READY! I haven't had my car two whole months! Allow me to deal with it!

To all of the others with the kind comments, thank you! This is not a pass or fail site!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:44 PM

dude, im sorry to hear that you got into a car accident...glad to hear no one got seriously hurt...hopefully you get your car back its as good as new...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:27 PM

Torgus, I hope nothing like this or any other serious and potentially life threatening situation occurs for you, because your lack of humanity may just be thrown back at you at a time when you need support, be it from people on this site or in your life.

I wish you the best!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by drakutis
Torgus, I hope nothing like this or any other serious and potentially life threatening situation occurs for you, because your lack of humanity may just be thrown back at you at a time when you need support, be it from people on this site or in your life.

I wish you the best!
thank you.

On a serious note i actually like seeing pictures of cars in accidents...
maybe it's just me, but it turns me on seeing a lambo flipped and wrapped around a telephone pole. i also visit stileproject.com which probably has alot to do with my desensitization as well as other things..

Last edited by Torgus; 11-17-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 AM

thank you.

maybe it's just me, but it turns me on seeing a lambo flipped and wrapped around a telephone pole. i also visit stileproject.com which probably has alot to do with my desensitization as well as other things..

agreed... also makes me angry that sooo many a holes still drink and drive or drive while holding a phone to their ear...or just dont frakkin pay attention... seeing wrecked cars in pics gives me a certain appreciation for life and ratio of luck to skill when it comes to driving
Old 11-17-2008, 11:30 AM

thank you.

Okay! I had to laugh at that one!! I have the pics on my camera and I will post them soon.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:55 PM

i also visit stileproject.com which probably has alot to do with my desensitization as well as other things..
I had to see what website that was, I need to un see those images
Old 11-18-2008, 01:01 PM

come on u cant talk about something like that without pic's

Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Had to sterilize my laptop!!!!!!

thank you.

DUDE!!!! That website made me blind. Good one. You are the .
Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 PM

I posted some pics of my damage on my myspace page along with some befores.

I hopefully will have the car back Friday. Right now Nationwide is trying to get the girl's insurance (Hanover)who hit me, to take responsibility for the collision, but they are waiting to hear from the person I hit, because they want to try and make it seem like I hit the first car causing the girl to hit me. It's BS. Go to www.myspace.com/drakutis

I called the first person and left them a message to give me or my insurance a call. Since they weren't answering the insurance comp.when they would call, I called myself and I talked to the girls mother and got her cell phone and left her a message to give me a call and I gave the cell phone number to nationwide.

It's over 5K worth of damage. It may not look like much from the photos. Of course all of the parts are new. The only issue now is my drivers seat. I'll probably have to get the dealer to correct that.

I'm almost whole again!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Glad to hear that you and everyone else is fine, it's too bad about your car but what else can I say except "Welcome to the Club". Now I don't feel so lonely.

What is this lately here on Maxima.org, it seems that at least 4 of us have had our cars hit and at least 1 is totalled???

Quick Reply: I was rear ended tonight!