7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Replacement Windshield

A rock came up and cracked the windshield. It's in a crappy place, and it's a good size dent, so insurance is replacing it. Anything I should be aware of during this process? Hopefully I get the SAME glass? Comments?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Six things:

1 - Make sure the new glass has 'NISSAN Carlex' in the lower corner on the driver's side.

2 - Make sure no material is left sticking our around the edges of the new installation, either inside or out.

3 - Make sure the installers made no scratches or dents anywhere on the car. Look especially close around the windshield area, and down onto the side of the car where the installer might lean with tools sticking out of his pocket.

4 - Sit inside the car in the driver's seat and then the passenger seat, looking out every portion of the new windshield. There should be no distortion or blemishes in any portion of the new glass.

5 - Take a garden hose, turn it on full blast, and direct the water at all edges of the windshield from different angles. Do this for several minutes. Then check with a soft tissue (even toilet tissue will do) all around the windshield on the inside of the car; there should not be even one drop of water.

6 - The next several times you travel in the rain, or the car sits out in the rain, do the tissue test around the inside of the windshield again.

If your new windshield passes all these tests, you should be fine.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:47 PM

Very helpful, thanks. They had to order it from Nissan so it will take 5 business days minimum to get it, then I'll have it installed. I don't think I'll have any problems but now I know what to look for. Basically I should be getting the factory glass. I wouldn't have known to look for the "Nissan Carlex" label...now I do, thanks.

I'm a bit upset to have a replacement, but at least it's just a cosmetic issue and nothing else.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not sure if the 7th gen has the rubber side molding around the windshield but if so, be careful. After letting my wife take the Altima to have the windshield replaced, I noticed much later that they had damaged the rubber molding to where it was no longer locked down against the windshield. Finally took some snips and cut it, revealing the metal strip underneath.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Well I don't have a choice, but thanks for telling me what to look out for. The work is guaranteed by my insurance company (a big one) and if im not happy they will fix it. Sometimes its worth paying more for insurance.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Auto glass repair shops will usually try to replace windshields with non-OEM material because its readily available and least expensive. Make sure to ask for an OEM windshield when you place the order and call back to confirm a few days later.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:32 AM

Ok....I found out I was gonna get some replacement glass...caught it in time after some research. Called Nissan and they are going to order me a NEW Nissan Maxima Windshield...THEN have the glass company they use come and install it AT NISSAN. Basically they are taking care of it...much much better. The car is too new to mess around with.

Last edited by mls277; 11-28-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:14 AM

These forums are priceless!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Decided to just have the dealership fix it. After all the research and driving with the small chip I said forget it...fix it. With my luck I'll rip off the windsheild, put a new one on, and get a crack in 2 months. It's fixable and small enough to be fixed...gonna have them do it when I go for the first oil/filter.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:26 PM

does anyone windshield suck

does anyones windshield wipers suk ***?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 PM

They are pretty good, whats wrong with yours?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
Decided to just have the dealership fix it. After all the research and driving with the small chip I said forget it...fix it. With my luck I'll rip off the windsheild, put a new one on, and get a crack in 2 months. It's fixable and small enough to be fixed...gonna have them do it when I go for the first oil/filter.
So you never got a new windshield? I only have 1400 miles on my Maxima and I just got a chip accompanied by a 2 foot crack, I didn't even hear the rock hit. I was looking at how dirty my car was right after parking, i just finished a long highway drive, when I noticed the chip and crack on the windshield.

I definitely need a new windshield so I was wondering if anyone has had to get theirs replaced yet and how it went.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 AM

I had mine replaced about 2 months ago. No problems at all. The installer came to the parking lot and had it done in about an hour. OEM replacement from Nissan but the installer was a local auto-glass rep my insurance company arranged.

Lt
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I had mine replaced about 2 months ago. No problems at all. The installer came to the parking lot and had it done in about an hour. OEM replacement from Nissan but the installer was a local auto-glass rep my insurance company arranged.

Lt

I'll be doing something like this. We just returned home from a week vacationing in the North Carolina mountains, and the second day of the trip, while rolling along the Blue Ridge Parkway at 45 MPH on top of Humpback Mountain (around 5,000 feet elevation), with no other vehicle in sight, my wife and I were startled by a very loud 'crack.'. We were sure someone had shot at us. After all, we were pretty deep in the woods in a very rural area.

About five minutes later, we both noticed a small crack moving from the bottom of the windshield upwards for several inches. We got out and saw the crack extended all the way through the six bottom inches of the portion of the windshield that can't be seen from inside the car, upward several inches into the portion that can be seen from inside the car. By the end of that day, the crack had grown to around a foot long. By the time we left the top of Mt Mitchell (6,684 feet elevation) five days later, the crack had extended itself up to the middle of the windshield, curled right in a half-circle about four inches in diameter, and had begun moving back down the windshield.

There is no 'contact point' or 'ding', as nothing hit the windshield. This was purely and simply a stress crack, and will be covered by the regular Nissan 36 month warranty. This crack involves only the outer layer of the glass, and not the inner layer. I don't believe I have seen anyone else here on the ORG mention a stress crack in the windshield of their '09. I will post what happens with this situation.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I'll be doing something like this. We just returned home from a week vacationing in the North Carolina mountains, and the second day of the trip, while rolling along the Blue Ridge Parkway at 45 MPH on top of Humpback Mountain (around 5,000 feet elevation), with no other vehicle in sight, my wife and I were startled by a very loud 'crack.'. We were sure someone had shot at us. After all, we were pretty deep in the woods in a very rural area.

About five minutes later, we both noticed a small crack moving from the bottom of the windshield upwards for several inches. We got out and saw the crack extended all the way through the six bottom inches of the portion of the windshield that can't be seen from inside the car, upward several inches into the portion that can be seen from inside the car. By the end of that day, the crack had grown to around a foot long. By the time we left the top of Mt Mitchell (6,684 feet elevation) five days later, the crack had extended itself up to the middle of the windshield, curled right in a half-circle about four inches in diameter, and had begun moving back down the windshield.

There is no 'contact point' or 'ding', as nothing hit the windshield. This was purely and simply a stress crack, and will be covered by the regular Nissan 36 month warranty. This crack involves only the outer layer of the glass, and not the inner layer. I don't believe I have seen anyone else here on the ORG mention a stress crack in the windshield of their '09. I will post what happens with this situation.
Wow so that might answer the rigidity question of this new redesign. Sorry about this I hate cracks. I went on my first long trip (250 miles) on a recent weekend and had a rock hit my windshield, it produced a very small crack which I had safelite fill in first thing that Monday. Hasn't moved at all and no one even notices it.

Let us know how the dealership experience is, did they already agree with you that it is a stress crack and ordered the windshield?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Let us know how the dealership experience is, did they already agree with you that it is a stress crack and ordered the windshield?

There were dozens of chores waiting when we returned home (I was actually picking our blueberries by 6:30AM Thursday), so will not be taking the car to the dealer until later today (Friday). I can assure you my dealer will not question this, as there is no contact point where anything hit the windshield, and this is the dealer from which I have bought all my Maximas since 1996, and where I get all my service done. I know all the folks there.

The dealer will have to order the windshield, and I expect it to take a week or so to come in. I will post my experience here.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VTenge
So you never got a new windshield? I only have 1400 miles on my Maxima and I just got a chip accompanied by a 2 foot crack, I didn't even hear the rock hit. I was looking at how dirty my car was right after parking, i just finished a long highway drive, when I noticed the chip and crack on the windshield.

I definitely need a new windshield so I was wondering if anyone has had to get theirs replaced yet and how it went.
......interesting. My windshield was hit on my 09 Maxima (3500 miles) by a small rock down toward the bottom/drivers side. A crack quickly spread. Insurance company suggested that I contact the dealer and ask about defective glass on the car. Anyone heard of doing this?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by depotnut
......interesting. My windshield was hit on my 09 Maxima (3500 miles) by a small rock down toward the bottom/drivers side. A crack quickly spread. Insurance company suggested that I contact the dealer and ask about defective glass on the car. Anyone heard of doing this?

The dealer will immediately see where a small rock hit the windshield; they are trained to spot the impact point, no matter how small or obscure. And the dealer will tell you the same thing he told me: Any glass problem caused by impact of any kind is covered under comprehensive insurance, not vehicle warranty. And that is the correct analysis.

It will cost you whatever deductible you have on your comprehensive. The total cost to have the repair company bring a new windshield to my home, remove the old glass and install the new glass in my '09 Maxima was $555.00, but I only had to pay the $200 deductible. The urethane cement they use to glue in the new windshield is rather vile smelling inside the car, and they told me not to breathe those fumes more than necessary.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Men, I know how it feels to have a crack! All have been talking, but giving no figures. I have an 08, but will share my figures with 09. Maybe it is close or same thing.

I got a crack on mine too that quickly expanded. Insurance paid 65 to get it fixed. But you can still see it a little. But I hate it! For I can still tell. It didn't cost me a dime, so I am contented. But I would like a brand new one.

I told my insurance I want a new one. They said, sure, after your 500 deductible. Then called Nissan for OEM with the Nissan sticker on it. Quote for out-the-door 579! So, to use insurance, I have to pay 500 and they pay 79. Not worth it!

Insurance gave me an alternative. Go to their preferred glass shop, and get a quote. Did that and it was 165 for after market installed with lifetime warranty for leaks or defect. I called an independent shop, got quote of 140 out the door. I haven't done it yet, though.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Six things:

1 - Make sure the new glass has 'NISSAN Carlex' in the lower corner on the driver's side.

2 - Make sure no material is left sticking our around the edges of the new installation, either inside or out.

3 - Make sure the installers made no scratches or dents anywhere on the car. Look especially close around the windshield area, and down onto the side of the car where the installer might lean with tools sticking out of his pocket.

4 - Sit inside the car in the driver's seat and then the passenger seat, looking out every portion of the new windshield. There should be no distortion or blemishes in any portion of the new glass.

5 - Take a garden hose, turn it on full blast, and direct the water at all edges of the windshield from different angles. Do this for several minutes. Then check with a soft tissue (even toilet tissue will do) all around the windshield on the inside of the car; there should not be even one drop of water.

6 - The next several times you travel in the rain, or the car sits out in the rain, do the tissue test around the inside of the windshield again.

perfect way to sum it all up!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
perfect way to sum it all up!

Thanks, 1sik4dsc. I should make one explanation to statement #1 on that list. When the replacement windshield is purchased by an installer, he should obtain the windshield from the Carlite company that manufacturers the official Nissan Carlex windshields. It will be the same windshield Nissan uses in building the car.

BUT

It will either have 'Carlite' instead of 'Nissan Carlex', OR it will be the OEM Nissan Carlex windshield the word 'Nissan' neatly etched out. Either way, it has the same code in the lower corner on the driver's side: AS1 DOT 467 M225. This code is not easy to read unless you toss a sheet of white paper (or anything white) on top of the dash in that area, then the info can easily be read from outside the car.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is anyone aware if there is a replacement windshield that does not have such a significant portion of the windshield tinted (from the top down)? I have been considering a purchase of a 2009 Maxima but unfortunately the tint line on the windshield bisects my line of sight and is distracting. Is it just me or has anyone else felt similarly?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
Men, I know how it feels to have a crack! All have been talking, but giving no figures. I have an 08, but will share my figures with 09. Maybe it is close or same thing.
I live in Florida and the Laws are a bit different here but insurance is REQUIRED to repair/replace the windshield...no deductables. So unfortunately, I can't quote you the cost of my replacement. I didn't get the invoice.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=PetitFrereMaxima;7146186]
All have been talking, but giving no figures.
QUOTE]

In my post immediately preceeding yours (post #18 in this thread) I quoted the cost of replacing my windshield as $555, of which I paid the $200 deductible and State Farm paid the rest under 'comprehensive'. There is another thread somewhere on this board (can't put my fingers on it right now) where someone else paid around that same price for a Carlite/Carlex windshield, and where a few posters went other routes and got Nissan glass for a little less and non-Nissan windshields for around $250, IIRC.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I live in Florida and the Laws are a bit different here but insurance is REQUIRED to repair/replace the windshield...no deductables. So unfortunately, I can't quote you the cost of my replacement. I didn't get the invoice.

It looks like I may need to get my windshield replaced, when you had yours replaced, where the outside rubber trims and seals done well?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
It looks like I may need to get my windshield replaced, when you had yours replaced, where the outside rubber trims and seals done well?
Other than the smell (and lack of the rock chip/crack) Light mentioned, I really couldn't tell any work at all had been completed. Here we are a few months later and the trim/fit still pristine. Even the thin pieces of black "poly foam" Nissan uses for "rattle protection" are still in place. I was very pleased with the work, had I not seen the process for myself I wouldn't believe it had been done.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:41 PM

Had my windshield replaced at safelite. Cost me I think 150, out-the-door. I will honestly say, I cannot tell my windshield has been changed. It looks perfect. And safelite gives you LIFETIME warranty for any leaks or any installation defect or glass defect. Great price, if you ask me.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:36 AM

Ok thanks guys that eases my "tension" a little better. I talked to the glass repair company last night and I supposed to call them back on the 26th to see what info they can give me on replacing my windshield with OEM glass. Since I only have 6000 miles on the car, the insurance company has authorized replacement with OEM Nissan glass. My deductible will be $100. My damaage came from a salt truck traveling in the opposite direction, I basically drove through his salt/rock spray at about 60 miles an hour. They were putting this stuff on the road in anticipation of snow storm that started later that night. The paint has a few dings in some places and is in decent shape. But I have about 20 or more chips in the windshield. Some of them are straight in my line of vision. If it had been one or two chips then I would have attempted to get them repaired.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:27 PM

Be aware that the word 'Nissan' is sometimes etched out on OEM replacement glass. But if you do not see either the word 'Carlex' or 'Carlite' in the lower corner of the driver's side of the glass, it is NOT OEM. You may have to hold a piece of white paper (or anything light-colored) behind the glass to be able to read the markings, but they will be there.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:55 AM

Ok thanks guys that eases my "tension" a little better. I talked to the glass repair company last night and I supposed to call them back on the 26th to see what info they can give me on replacing my windshield with OEM glass. Since I only have 6000 miles on the car, the insurance company has authorized replacement with OEM Nissan glass. My deductible will be $100. My damaage came from a salt truck traveling in the opposite direction, I basically drove through his salt/rock spray at about 60 miles an hour. They were putting this stuff on the road in anticipation of snow storm that started later that night. The paint has a few dings in some places and is in decent shape. But I have about 20 or more chips in the windshield. Some of them are straight in my line of vision. If it had been one or two chips then I would have attempted to get them repaired.
HTML Code:
 I basically drove through his salt/rock spray at about 60 miles an hour.
I was thinking about all of these posts about cracked windshields and in what position the cracks started or usually occurred and it seems apparent to me that either all of us have really bad luck with rocks hitting us and cracking our windshields (mine is cracked too in several places now) or these windshields are not built very well.

It seems to me that this is no coincidence that all of us had/has cracks that started in the same spot(s) but Sam's crack started from those small, tiny little pieces of salt that they put onto the road to give us better traction.

I think I'll raise this issue as a flag with Nissan North America because this seems just a little too coincidental to me, maybe we all should do the same.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 AM

I thought I would go ahead and post this info, hopefully others of you may find it useful in the future.

I got a call on Sat. evening that my glass was available and was in stock. I had an install appointment set up this morning at 8:00am to have the windshield since I am still on Xmas vacation and off wprk. I had the option of doing a "come to my home" install, but I opted to go to their facility (a 60 mile drive). I am glad that I did because of the 20-30 degree temps we are having. The techs claim this makes for a better seal and what not. It was installed by my local Safelite shop.

Anyways I can confirm that I got an OEM windshield. In fact the gentlemen set it on his "work area table" as I was pulling the car in the install bay. So I made sure that I walked close enough by it to confirm it was what I expected. It had the numbers DOT 467 M225 etched in the glass below the Carlex name.

The actual install took about an hour. When it was done, I was offered a "final approval inspection". All of the rubber seals, gaskets appeared just as factory (In fact I could not tell they had been removed). The interior of the car was clean as whistle as I had left it. The "sun shade" portion of the glass was the same as the original, as was the "dots" down along the inside edge of the glass and behind the rearview mirror. The only thing I had to do was re-adjust my rearview mirror. There is a slight smell of sealant, but that disappeared by the time I drove the 60 miles home.

I also asked the shop foreman if there where any pre-cautions I should observe. He said no pressure washing to it for a few days. So in the garage she stays, because we are expecting more winter weather by mid week.

Now here is the breakdown of price.

Glass List Price $473.20 provided on my invoice
Selling Price was $212.94 <<<---This was cheaper most likely because my Ins. Company sends all their work to them, so they get a discount.

-------------

Glass Selling Price $212.94
Seal Kit 30.00
Tax of 5% 12.15
Labor $169.00
----------------------------
Total $424.09
-
Deductible $100.00 <<<<-----My Out of Pocket Expense
----------------------------
Billed to insurance $324.09
Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 AM

it is a great idea to get factory replacement glass. i worked at a glass manufacturing company for a while. Basically there are 2 completely different specs one for factory and one for aftermarket replacement. And the factory spec is much much better. Basically all the "junk" glass that didn't meet the factory spec went to the aftermarket bin.

This is easily seen in the quality from the replacement glass. its thinner and you can see the draw lines, aka wavy lines in the glass.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
HTML Code:
 I basically drove through his salt/rock spray at about 60 miles an hour.
I was thinking about all of these posts about cracked windshields and in what position the cracks started or usually occurred and it seems apparent to me that either all of us have really bad luck with rocks hitting us and cracking our windshields (mine is cracked too in several places now) or these windshields are not built very well.

It seems to me that this is no coincidence that all of us had/has cracks that started in the same spot(s) but Sam's crack started from those small, tiny little pieces of salt that they put onto the road to give us better traction.

I think I'll raise this issue as a flag with Nissan North America because this seems just a little too coincidental to me, maybe we all should do the same.

Saw this on nissanhelp.com and thought that it may help.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...2497&catid=508
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First Post

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and you should no I really didn't plan on registering. Having just bought my 2010 Maxima SV w/Premium & Tech Pkge I perused the site looking for club info and customizations then left it at that knowing in the back of my mind that this great place existed.

Today was my 15th day of ownership and as some of you are experiencing, its pure sweetness, that is up until I got out of work and noticed this 6 - 8 inch crack coming from the middle of the bottom of my windshield. Suffice it to say I was almost livid because I knew that the only thing that happened today that was different than any other was that it was the first day that I had to use my windshield wipers due to inclement weather. I know I didn't get hit with any pebbles or salt and the crack was not there when I left the vehicle. At least I didnt notice it with the rain and all. So I proceeded to call my saleswoman who said nothing more but to bring it in. In my mind I'm thinking "well this had to exist before I bought the car and the wipers probably made the crack worse..." but always in the back of my mind I had this dreadful sense that somehow someway they (the dealer) were going to stick me with the tab. So we agreed to wait till the morning and I would bring in the car during regular business hours when she was there so she could come with me to service and I left it at that.

But then I got home, and came across the forum from a link from Google discussing the topic and I have to say that after reading through the thread I feel so much better. zukabaker's post from Nissanhelp.com was exactly what the doctor ordered to help me sleep in anticipation of my expected soon to be adventure at the dealer. The Nissan service bulletin NTB09-081 is right on the money. It appears so far that my windshield has a stress crack and should be covered under the MFG Warranty.

So with Nissan Bulletin NTB09-081 in tow I feel a whole lot more comfortable to go to the dealer to address this issue.

Thanks for reporting on this guys as I agree with the sentiment that there must be an issue with the these windshields. This is a first for me in dealing with this on a new vehicle (I had no problem with my Pathfinder) and I will update with the results tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Yes please keep us informed of your replacement.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 AM

I was hoping to avoid this thread for a long time. But yesterday I got a rock induced chip in my replacement windshield. So the Glass company is coming out today to see if can be repaired or if I will have to have another windshield replacement. The chip at it's longest point is 1/8 long.

The vehicle that threw the rock was a good 100 feet in front me. My 12 year old daughter was in the passenger seat and it hit right in front of her. It scared her pretty good.

I must have a special Maxima with a rock attracting windshield feature. If it does get replaced it will be another $100 deductible.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM

I must have a special Maxima with a rock attracting windshield feature. If it does get replaced it will be another $100 deductible.
Don't feel bad, I'm on my second (replacement) one as well (but here in FL you don't have to pay a deductible on windshields.) Lots of construction means lots of Rocks I guess.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:17 PM

The chip at it's longest point is 1/8 long.
If 1/8 long is referring to 1/8 of an inch, the glass company might well be able to nip this in the bud, and that would be nice indeed. But they probably need to act soon. Mine began as a crack stretching just three inches above the dash (accompanied by a very loud 'crack' that my wife and I thought had to be a rifle shot). By the time we got back to the motel two hours later, the crack had gone over a foot up the windshield, made a 90 degree turn, and was halfway back down to dash-level.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM

Six things:

I am an auto glass installer so i would check your molding (if available) some glass companies wont use dealer molding unless you ask. The insurance compay will cover it just request it. If not you will end up with universal molding (looks good but not OEM).Also make sure you tell them to use pinchweld primer alot if need (youll never see it unless you know where to look). The primer is so you get no rust in the future. Why rust you ask cause in the process of removing the glass there may be a scratch (within the pinchweld) from the removal tools that the eye cant see. More less a precaution. Also follow the instuctions they give you afterward. If you dont a good installion WILL go bad ! When you go in for an installtion be prepared to wait a while. The windsheild may only take an hour to install but the urethane needs time to cure a bit before you leave.

As far as for the water testing that is mentioned above, do this but give the urethane 2 or 3 days to cure fully before testing. If you dont the pressure from the hose may cause damage to your "seal" or "bead" or "bond" whatever you want to call it.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ugafanz
I am an auto glass installer so i would check your molding (if available) some glass companies wont use dealer molding unless you ask. The insurance compay will cover it just request it. If not you will end up with universal molding (looks good but not OEM).Also make sure you tell them to use pinchweld primer alot if need (youll never see it unless you know where to look). The primer is so you get no rust in the future. Why rust you ask cause in the process of removing the glass there may be a scratch (within the pinchweld) from the removal tools that the eye cant see. More less a precaution. Also follow the instuctions they give you afterward. If you dont a good installion WILL go bad ! When you go in for an installtion be prepared to wait a while. The windsheild may only take an hour to install but the urethane needs time to cure a bit before you leave.

As far as for the water testing that is mentioned above, do this but give the urethane 2 or 3 days to cure fully before testing. If you dont the pressure from the hose may cause damage to your "seal" or "bead" or "bond" whatever you want to call it.

Very good info from an official installer! Although two or three hours would probably be long enough for the urthane to cure, I let mine sit for four hours before driving, in order to leave no doubt. The curing time for the urethane may vary depending on the temperature and humidity. Be VERY careful to not put the car in a torsional twist (like turning onto a steep driveway from the street at an angle) for a day or two, just to be sure the urethane is totally cured and ready for stress.

I parked my car out outside under a big shade tree (beautiful sunny dry day) for the installation, and just left it there with the windows open for curing, as the smell of the urethane is not pleasant, and is very strong inside the car.

As ugafanz suggested, I waited several days before doing the water test.

Quick Reply: Replacement Windshield