7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Replacement Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Phil93MaxSE
Not even 10,000 miles in and I've had to replace the windshield...and I don't even know what hit it since there was no big rock chip or anything. Although it cost me the $100 deductible through insurance to replace it, I'm hoping I don't have to deal with it again so soon.
Same here mine just cracked !! Under 7,000!!!! Nissan wants $600 just for the glass!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM

Was anyone else offered a door ding/winshield replacement/tire & wheel replacement for $300 when you purchased your new Maxima? I bought that package and it covers door dings up to 4" in diameter, rock chips or windshield replacement due to a rock chip & tire & wheel replacement if you hit a pot hole or run over a nail. I thought that it was a good idea since I am so **** about my cars. If I have a dent it makes me sick to my stomach
Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mstewart18
Was anyone else offered a door ding/winshield replacement/tire & wheel replacement for $300 when you purchased your new Maxima? I bought that package and it covers door dings up to 4" in diameter, rock chips or windshield replacement due to a rock chip & tire & wheel replacement if you hit a pot hole or run over a nail. I thought that it was a good idea since I am so **** about my cars. If I have a dent it makes me sick to my stomach
I have never been offered such a package. That has to be offered and backed by your dealer (or a company doing business with your dealer), not the Nissan Corp.

Had I been offered such an option, I might well have grabbed it.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I have never been offered such a package. That has to be offered and backed by your dealer (or a company doing business with your dealer), not the Nissan Corp.

Had I been offered such an option, I might well have grabbed it.
That makes sense... I have never been offered that before until I bought my Nissan. This is my first Nissan so I figured it was a Nissan deal...
Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 PM

Just had the same problem. Left car parked infront of my house in the morning and at nite when i get home i saw a crack coming from driver side lower to middle of glass. Checked my cameras to see if anyone or anything cracked my window and to ny surprise by 630pm the crack did it by itself. Stess crack. Wow. Hope my extended warranty covers this.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by MaxDOuT
Just had the same problem. Left car parked infront of my house in the morning and at nite when i get home i saw a crack coming from driver side lower to middle of glass. Checked my cameras to see if anyone or anything cracked my window and to ny surprise by 630pm the crack did it by itself. Stess crack. Wow. Hope my extended warranty covers this.

I am not surprised that this was a stress crack. I have suspected since 2009 that this windshield is prone to stress cracks, because there was not a car anywhere within sight of me when my windshield cracked like a rifle shot while easing along the Blue Ridge Parkway at 40 MPH.

Bw sure to save your security film. Your only chance with the dealer or insurer is if you can show this was absolutely a stress crack.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 AM

As of insurance it is fully covered as the windshield is part of you cars structural integrity and needs to be maintained as to be stronger so if a crash were to happen you would be safer and it's free . I have has 2 replaced in other cars before .
Old 02-24-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by koreanthunda
As of insurance it is fully covered as the windshield is part of you cars structural integrity and needs to be maintained as to be stronger so if a crash were to happen you would be safer and it's free . I have has 2 replaced in other cars before .

Yep. Stress crack on car under warranty is covered by Nissan, and cracks resulting from debris are covered by comprehensive part of insurance policy.

I think I remember paying a deductable when replacing windshields, but my memory is fuzzy, since I haven't replaced one in five years or so.

I would save the security film and try the stress crack direction first, in case the insurance company applies a deductable to windshields.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-24-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 PM

I have an extended warranty through nissan which does not cover glass or windows. So insurance is gonna cover it but it will have to be aftermarket windshield since car is an 09 and only way for insurance to cover oem windshield it can't be older then 2yrs. Windshield will be installed 2morrow morning. Really tried to go for the oem but cost from nissan was 800+ and insurance was paying aftermarket windshield @ $215 which means if i payed the difference it was like $667 out of my pocket. Went with aftermarket, $667 could easily be some toys for maxima.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 PM

I wouldn't go cheap on the windshield. You might end up regretting that. That aftermarket def wont be as strong as the OEM. $200 is too cheap considering that windshields are usually double stacked + the film they use to keep it from shattering into the cabin.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
I wouldn't go cheap on the windshield. You might end up regretting that. That aftermarket def wont be as strong as the OEM. $200 is too cheap considering that windshields are usually double stacked + the film they use to keep it from shattering into the cabin.

I certainly agree with what zoemayne is saying, and I would add one more note -

I had to replace the windshield on my '09 almost five years ago, and, when quoted the price of the Nissan windshield, I did some research, called the windshield manufacturer, and found I had good options.

The company that makes windshields for Nissan also sells those same windshields under their own name as replacement windshields for a reduced price.

It will either have 'Carlite' instead of 'Nissan Carlex', OR it will be the OEM Nissan Carlex windshield with the word 'Nissan' neatly etched out. Either way, it has the same code in the lower corner on the driver's side: AS1 DOT 467 M225. This code is not easy to read unless you toss a sheet of white paper (or anything white) on top of the dash in that area, then the info can easily be read from outside the car.

I saved a few hundred that way, and the replacement windshield has been perfect these last five years.

But, like zoemayne said, I would be hesitant to buy a replacement windshield that did not have either 'Nissan Carlex' or 'Carlex' with the word 'Nissan' etched out, or 'Carlite.'
Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 AM

Too late. Crossing my fingers. Worst comes to worst i'll replace it again with oem. Grrrr
Old 04-28-2014, 11:24 AM

I have a 2012 maxima 39,000 miles and my crack is right in the middle and spreading daily. My question is am I getting ripped off paying 800+ for my windshield? The insurance company (All state) said I have a 500 deductible? And the dealership does NOT do the install there?

I need some help if anyone has gone through this before?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GNCMaxima
my crack is right in the middle and spreading daily.
Hahahahaha that is hilarious oh man lmao haha

But yeah, you are totally being taken advantage of; I really hope you didn't actually pull the trigger on that because that's just robbery

Same thing for me, paid $160 out of pocket on 2/17 and they even went to my work and got it done right in front of me
Old 04-29-2014, 06:25 AM

I have had my car for 3 years and have replaced my windshield 3 times, basically once a year, not sure if its my luck, but every year when it begins to thaw I come out and theres a crack coming from the corner of my windshield, all the previous replacements have been non-oem, I will insist this one be OEM!! maybe there really is a difference.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dudemaine

Hahahahaha that is hilarious oh man lmao haha

But yeah, you are totally being taken advantage of; I really hope you didn't actually pull the trigger on that because that's just robbery

Same thing for me, paid $160 out of pocket on 2/17 and they even went to my work and got it done right in front of me
Haha I just got that, fml. Yeah I haven't gone to the dealership yet because I figure I would read up on it first. Thank you for the tips everyone. I'll try to look for a glass company for a cheaper OEM windshield.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased my Max new in June of last year. Before I hit 6k miles, a ding that was below the passenger side windshield wiper (never saw it until I traced the crack back) cracked almost 12 inches one warm summer day when a cold rain passed through. I remember getting the ding less than a week before, I heard it, but couldn't see it. Then around 9k miles, I was driving down the freeway and got hit by another rock in the driver's side top corner. It took less than 30 seconds driving a constant 65 mph and no cornering to crack about 6 inches. I now have about 21k miles on her, and both cracks have grown considerably. The only thing I can think of is the windshield experiences a lot of stress from flexing. Either it is part of the design to help rigidity. Or the way it is installed makes it take more stress from flexing than they intended. Before this car, I had an 08 Impala SS with a V8. It had several dings for many years. I never fixed the dings, and they never cracked and ran. I don't know if the Carlite glass cracks easier, or if it is too much stress regardless of the brand of glass. I have yet to fix mine as I fear it will crack as soon as it is repaired.

Last edited by ShadowMaxter; 04-29-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 AM

I just got my windshield replaced It wasn't OEM but it was $160 that was install and windshield?

Cheap which worries me but the guy has been replacing windshields for 20 years and he said these can hang with OEM.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:12 PM

On the way to work Thursday morning and rock flew up and chipped my windshield. Call Safelite and they come to my work and repair it with the epoxy. My insurance pay for rock chip repair so it was $0 for me to get it fixed
Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 PM

I live in Florida and the windshield replacement is free .