7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you park when at a store???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Where do you park when at a store???

I know to some that this post may seem a little cheesy or even **** but seems almost inevitable that if you part in a lot at like some Grocery Store/Shopping Mall/Lowe's/Wal-Mart that someone will likely park next to you and dent your car.

Plus and usually when someone does dent your car they aren't courteous to come and tell you or wait for you, let alone and at the very least leave a note with their info so that they can take care of it.

Then there's always the lazy person who doesn't want to return their Shopping Cart and just leave it next to or behind your car so that you hit it or the wind runs it into your ride causing a dent or scrape.

So, with all of this out of the way; where do you park?

I always try to park farthest away from everyone else, somewhere near a corner or where I can see that no one has a need to park near me. (Am I being ****??).
Old 01-03-2009, 08:39 PM

I always try and park next to a nice vehicle, and never near mini vans or suv's they are bound to dent you us esp if little tykes are getting in them. If I cant find a safe zone, I park far.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:39 PM

I have had 3 brand new cars in my time and I take general precaution when parking such as finding a good open space with plenty of room on both sides. I'm not someone who is going to park away from everyone and I've still had good luck to this point. Squeezing in between 2 suburbans and hoping they can back out correctly is something I avoid, but that' really it. also I won't parallel ever considering how people try to squeeeeze in there and can bump you. I just look for a space with good space!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Yeah mls277, I hear you there Bro on parking near/between big SUVs and Trucks, it seems that they never have quite enough space to manuever those things and always wind up dinging someone next to them---usually they never leave a note too.

I had the unfortune of parking far away next to a concrete surround with a tree in the middle that was far away from everyone/everything else only to have some idiot come and part cater-cornered right beside me which blocked me from backing up (luckily I could drive forward).

I was wondering why that idiot parked like that behind me, and to top it off he had an old raggedy/beat up car. I was very hot because there were numerous spaces available and many vacancies close to the door, then when I saw him come out, he said he did it so he could see what kind of car it was and didn't realize what it was and that he had parked blocking me from backing out.

I wasn't so angry after that. (yeah, i know, stupid story but I had to share it with you guys).
Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 PM

My wife hates me because I park so far away from where ever we are going and it is sooooo damn cold here in MO, but I take no precautions!!! I try to find stalls at the end so I can eliminate somone parking next to me at least on one side, and I try to get as close to the curb without touching the rims so I leave a ton of room for the other vehicle.......I don't wonder I AM ****!!!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by choice89
My wife hates me because I park so far away from where ever we are going and it is sooooo damn cold here in MO, but I take no precautions!!! I try to find stalls at the end so I can eliminate somone parking next to me at least on one side, and I try to get as close to the curb without touching the rims so I leave a ton of room for the other vehicle.......I don't wonder I AM ****!!!!!

Nothing wrong with admitting that Bro, I don't blame you, you and your wifey should be the same way. She is putting a lot of cheeze into hooking up your ride and if I was her, I'd be every bit as **** as you.

She's doing a fine job with the Mods, you be sure and tell her I said so.<<<That's an Order Soldier! LOL!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM

AWAY

I park away from other cars, have been doing it since I got a black 2004 Alero and it works. The car might have 3-4 very minor blemishes after 5 years...bought it in Oct 2003. I'm even more careful (****?) with the new Max.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM

always in decks when possible, never under trees, sufficient enough space for both sides of car, even if you dont have a passenger you should worry about other people hitting your car, not just you hitting them. And if I get the very first spot or spot next to a wall and I am the only person in my car, I will park as close as possible and flush my passenger side against the curb or wall, etc.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

You gotta park far, far away in the least desireable spot and walk the farthest....atleast I do to feel comfortable.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 PM

I never park next to a two door sports car, camaro, firebird etc. Their doors are longer than every other vehicle. I always try to find a really nice two or four door truck, but not an extended cab. The front doors have to open up all the way in order for the person in the back to get out...... Now that's **** but it helps.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:56 PM

Great WIFE!!!

Originally Posted by bk2k3max

Nothing wrong with admitting that Bro, I don't blame you, you and your wifey should be the same way. She is putting a lot of cheeze into hooking up your ride and if I was her, I'd be every bit as **** as you.

She's doing a fine job with the Mods, you be sure and tell her I said so.<<<That's an Order Soldier! LOL!
My wife no doubt spoils me but it is all in return of me spoiling her.....that woman has more shoes than I even know what to do with...purses.....clothes you name it she gets it.......But for Christmas we go all out! She knows only to buy me functional things in one of three categories!!! OF course the Maxima anything to deal with the car and she is golden.....GOLF, I am an avid golfer and if I am not at work or cleaning the MAX I am golfing (when the weather is good), golf *****, clubs, clothes, and lastly Jiu Jitsu. The only hobby my wife and I share any gear pertaining to it and she's good again. I don't get the odd crap...ugly sweaters, odd socks you know the stuff that never gets used I love that woman!

This year just happend to be a MAXIMA one and I was not complaining!!! I followed that order and I let her know every second I can.........

That is why I park my MAX far...far away from all the potential dings!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 PM

I usually just park on an angle where I can take up as many handicap spaces as possible...

no, but I like corner/end spots
Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bjs470
I usually just park on an angle where I can take up as many handicap spaces as possible...

no, but I like corner/end spots

That's pretty funny WRONG.....but funny!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by choice89
My wife no doubt spoils me but it is all in return of me spoiling her.....that woman has more shoes than I even know what to do with...purses.....clothes you name it she gets it.......But for Christmas we go all out! She knows only to buy me functional things in one of three categories!!! OF course the Maxima anything to deal with the car and she is golden.....GOLF, I am an avid golfer and if I am not at work or cleaning the MAX I am golfing (when the weather is good), golf *****, clubs, clothes, and lastly Jiu Jitsu. The only hobby my wife and I share any gear pertaining to it and she's good again. I don't get the odd crap...ugly sweaters, odd socks you know the stuff that never gets used I love that woman!

This year just happend to be a MAXIMA one and I was not complaining!!! I followed that order and I let her know every second I can.........

That is why I park my MAX far...far away from all the potential dings!!!
That's cool man that you have a great relationship and marriage with your wife, always keep and maintain that. I'm on my 2nd marriage and she loves the hell out of me, 1st lasted nearly 20 but oh well.

Like you, I'm in the Army too and it takes a special woman to support a soldier. I know you're enjoying the new Mods and stuff from the vids and pics you've been placing here, that's really good for us to see, keep up the good work with the ride.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 PM

choice how long you been doing BJJ and where do you train? I trained at this facility near my home, no big names there, maybe the Asuncao brothers, been doing it for about a year training and then i quit becuase it was expensive the the facility really sucks, more focused on bringing in money than improving students, now I just roll around at school with friends, preferbly NoGi
Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM

My wife and I are so darned **** about parking that Scott Tissue sends us a feee case of Scott toilet tissue every year at Christmas. Thank goodness, my wife and I see eye-to-eye on parking.

We have never squeezed in between two vehicles of ANY type. If there isn't a space with a wide gore or curb we can snuggle up against, then we go to the far end of the lot and choose the widest space we can find. If there are other cars at the far end, we look for an emptier lot nearby. If we cannot find a space we feel is safe, we simply go to a different store.

This can be problematic at motels. We have actually parked four feet onto the grass at motels if that was the only way to keep totally away from leaving our car where a careless person could reach it with their door. If the motel has the very poor judgement to have all narrow spaces, we NEVER stay there again. We rate the parking at every motel we have ever stayed at. For instance, among the 11 motels in the Tillmans Corner area south of Mobile AL, only the Econo Lodge has parking we will accept. The best parking we have ever found at a motel is at the Pine Valley Motel in Spruce Pine NC, where the narrowest space (yes, we measure them) is TWELVE BEAUTIFUL FEET WIDE! We will go out of our way to stay there.

****? My wife and I wrote that anatomy book.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:55 AM

I have given up worrying about this issue. No matter what precautions I have taken in the past, the inevitable always happens. When I got my '07, I intentionallly parked at the far end of the lot to avoid the door dings. Sure enough, on the second day of ownnership a strong gust of wind caught a shopping cart which rolled unimpeded into my car and left a scratch down the entire passenger side. At the point, I threw in the towel!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:27 AM

The best parking lots have some islands with a tree where you can snuggle up to a curb away from where the lazy (fat) folks park.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
My wife and I are so darned **** about parking that Scott Tissue sends us a feee case of Scott toilet tissue every year at Christmas. Thank goodness, my wife and I see eye-to-eye on parking.

We have never squeezed in between two vehicles of ANY type. If there isn't a space with a wide gore or curb we can snuggle up against, then we go to the far end of the lot and choose the widest space we can find. If there are other cars at the far end, we look for an emptier lot nearby. If we cannot find a space we feel is safe, we simply go to a different store.

This can be problematic at motels. We have actually parked four feet onto the grass at motels if that was the only way to keep totally away from leaving our car where a careless person could reach it with their door. If the motel has the very poor judgement to have all narrow spaces, we NEVER stay there again. We rate the parking at every motel we have ever stayed at. For instance, among the 11 motels in the Tillmans Corner area south of Mobile AL, only the Econo Lodge has parking we will accept. The best parking we have ever found at a motel is at the Pine Valley Motel in Spruce Pine NC, where the narrowest space (yes, we measure them) is TWELVE BEAUTIFUL FEET WIDE! We will go out of our way to stay there.

Hilarious but I understand why you're both that way, thanks for making me feel like a Butt Virgin when it comes to being ****.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
choice how long you been doing BJJ and where do you train? I trained at this facility near my home, no big names there, maybe the Asuncao brothers, been doing it for about a year training and then i quit becuase it was expensive the the facility really sucks, more focused on bringing in money than improving students, now I just roll around at school with friends, preferbly NoGi

Michaelle8885,
Growing up in Hawaii I spent 14 yrs learning and training in the arts of Muay Thai until I joined the service. I realized later in life that I had no ground or wrestling experience and I wanted to round out my defense and offense by way of submissions. So my wife and I who had no hobbies together decided to learn BJJ 3 1/2 yrs ago. I train under Warrior Jiu Jistu here in MO with the lead instructor Mr. Matheny who often trains at the Militech camp in Iowa. I love the art and sport in way of GI or NOGI, i usually prefer NOGI but it all depends on who I am rolling with. It's pretty much the only thing I can do here to keep my sanity during the winter months!!!!!

Of course I can always spend time in the garage cleaning the MAX!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:56 PM

My 03's paint isn't half as nice as some of you guys' pictures show, so for now I just avoid big trucks and old cars period. Once I get her re-painted this spring I may have to get back in shape. Cause I'll definitely be doing some "hiking" when I go to the mall. I'll be parking with the Vettes, Benz's and Jag's.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 PM

i park far away and sometimes take up 2 lanes.

ive been knicked a few times already and i'm about to go wild monkey on the next person who bangs there door against mine.

sooooo that is why i park far away from everyone else.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:51 AM

i tend to park near cars like Mercedes and BMW bc the pple who own those cars normally are careful not to damage their own car thus greatly decreasing the chances of my car being hit.. however i sometimes noticed that there are times when someone will ding your car just bc it is better than theirs...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 AM

All the way in the back away from door dingers!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by liypfhe1
i tend to park near cars like Mercedes and BMW bc the pple who own those cars normally are careful not to damage their own car thus greatly decreasing the chances of my car being hit.. however i sometimes noticed that there are times when someone will ding your car just bc it is better than theirs...
Couldn't agree with you more buddy. I've seen some ppl intentionally ding other ppl's cars simply because it looks better and they'd just drive off as if nothing happened at all.

I think I'll feel safer about parking next to a BMW or Mercedes but the only problem with that is; that if one or both of them leave while you are still in the store and some butthead with an AMC Pacer parks next to you then you're doomed.

It's better to play it safe and park far away from everyone and by yourself, preferrably near an island where no one can park on the other side of you.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Light - you and I are same book, same chapter buddy!! I justify it by saying the extra walking is good for me. I would add to the motel concerns by saying I can get frantic about parking where I can see the car from the room window.

I would say I used to use 2LEET's method of taking two spaces, but found that it encouraged aggressive behaviour from many people - up to and including keying. I would also say that an open space at the far end isn't even good enough if it's downhill from the cart corral.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Banned

park next to nice cars that look like they don't carry kids. best advice i can think if...

personally i usually don't think about it too much as i'm usually in and out of stores quickly as most of my shopping is done online, or with my beater if i'm going to the mall for instance.

i bet 99% of people just pick the closest spot to the door 99% of the time.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned

that is insane. it's just a maxima.

never take up 2 spaces of park in an obnoxious way. it's asking for trouble(unless you're me)
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 AM

I try parking next to a handicap space when i can just cause i park over the line a little when i'm near one to give more space in-between cars. If i cant find one open i park next to a nice/new car or i find somewhere where i can get as much room between my car and the other one as possible...
Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=Torgus;6801694]that is insane. it's just a maxima.

Well, you know what they say? One man's Maxima is another man's Bentley!!QUOTE]
Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Makers Mark

I always park and walk far, no shame in that, its one reason why my 01 is still looking sharp, yet somehow I still have had to have dings taken out! At the very least an end spot will reduce your chances by 50%!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:45 PM

The only place i refuse to park is next to the shopping cart collectors. If there is no other available parking and I end up next to someone who is on or over the line, ill write down their plate number before i go in and check for damage on the way out.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 PM

This brings me back about a couple of months ago,I needed to go to Home Depot.It was almost closing time and the parking lot was nearly empty so I found a space with no around me for miles.Upon coming out I noticed a pickup parked so close to my drivers side door I thought that someone was in the process of breaking into my car.No,this ******* just had to park right next to my car.I waited for him to come out just to ask him what the hell was he thinking of.This *** comes out of the store hugging up on his girlfriend like Home Depot was some fancy resturaunt or something.I just left it alone,I inspected the Max to make sure there was no damage,I was surprise to notice none.I mean I had to damn near squeeze between his drivers door and mine just to get into my door and I'm 6'4 230.Shouldn't had to in a empty parking lot.Some people are just ********!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you just have to park as far as you can.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 PM

park far from all. some retart actually hit my car once but luckily i was sitting in the car and he didnt see me becausse it was night time and i had ma windows tinted. this dude came out the car and only looked at his car. i was sitting in the car curious on what he was gonna do. he came out and looked at his car and got back in. then i came out and stopped him from leaving. called them cops and the whole 9 yards. the whole side was fcked bt now its like brand new
Old 01-11-2009, 03:25 PM

I watched my "neighbor's" kid smack the hell out of my 02 Eclipse when it was fairly new, it was very clean and done up nice, Mommy looked and didn't even flinch or knock on the door. needless to say, i went out there and saw the damage, nice scratch and a little dent. i asked her about it, she denied it even though i let her know that i watched it happen. so later that night i rewarded her with a phillips head through her door, she had a jetta, i was moving in a week anyways and she was a ***** for a year and a half.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 PM

These stories are great! Anyway, I, along with most of the others in this thread, park next to cars that look like they have been taken care of. It doesn't even matter how old the car is. I just take a quick glance at their doors to check for dings and if there aren't any, I'm golden. Most of the time though it's next to a newer car.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
that is insane. it's just a maxima.

never take up 2 spaces of park in an obnoxious way. it's asking for trouble(unless you're me)

'Just a Maxima?' Since when has getting repairs to the doors of a Maxima been cheaper than Chevies or Fords? Where I live, as soon as the repair includes repainting, the decimal point moves the wrong way. And the repairs around here can be very slow. We had dealer take five months and ten days to repair a Ford truck (Jan 7 to June 17). Sure, it was significantly damaged, but I have had dealers keep a vehicle for a month for what seemed to me to be very small dents. MUCH easier to just try to avoid damage.

I'm sure you meant the 'two space' remark for those who are guilty. I have never done that, as I don't want to anger any of the two hundred million less-inhibited souls running free in this country.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Makers Mark

I should add...it doesn't matter how nice the car next to you is, on a windy day (50 mph gusts right now) if you aren't parked far enough away, the door of that nice car might smack the hell out of yours. I hate door dings.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:46 AM

sasha is a little hurt right now

i was just dinged on saturday night. i come back to my car and behold a damn rental sign is up on my door... when i remove it i see that there is paint transfer as well as a damn dent..... im like ... so i pull out my cam and at least i know who is gonna pay for it...

Quick Reply: Where do you park when at a store???