7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you guys see this??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Did you guys see this??

Thoughts???

Street racing threads aren't allowed.

Last edited by SEmy2K2go; 01-12-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Got Retrofit?

The '08 kept up quite well. Nice find.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 AM

09 PPPPPPUUUUULLLLLEEEEEDDDDD at the end!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 AM

Thoughts? Just two nuts that have no business driving like this on public roads. I kept hoping to hear sirens and see flashing lights. Many entire families have been wiped out by this type of insanity on public roads.

As for the 'race results?' Totally meaningless, as we have no way of knowing if either car had any modifications, or if either car obtained a slight edge at the start, or if either driver may have hesitated slightly at any point during the run because he thought he saw a police car, or if both cars had premium fuel, or if either car had passenger(s), or was carrying things in the trunk, or if one driver weighed a hundred pounds more than the other, or if both cars had the same tires with the same tread-wear, or if one car had very little fuel in the tank while the other had just gassed up (big weight difference), or . . . but the list of 'ifs' in a case like this is absolutely endless.

As I said, totally meaningless. Just two selfish, thoughtless nuts looking for a place to die.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 AM

Agreed, Light. A couple of morons.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Thoughts? Just two nuts that have no business driving like this on public roads. I kept hoping to hear sirens and see flashing lights. Many entire families have been wiped out by this type of insanity on public roads.

As for the 'race results?' Totally meaningless, as we have no way of knowing if either car had any modifications, or if either car obtained a slight edge at the start, or if either driver may have hesitated slightly at any point during the run because he thought he saw a police car, or if both cars had premium fuel, or if either car had passenger(s), or was carrying things in the trunk, or if one driver weighed a hundred pounds more than the other, or if both cars had the same tires with the same tread-wear, or if one car had very little fuel in the tank while the other had just gassed up (big weight difference), or . . . but the list of 'ifs' in a case like this is absolutely endless.

As I said, totally meaningless. Just two selfish, thoughtless nuts looking for a place to die.
Well, as far as I know both cars are owned by the same guy and he asked one of his friends to come along and drive the 09 and he was the one with the camera (they were both alone).
I cannot speculate which car had what amount of fuel or if the other driver hesitated or what but my biggest suspicion is that the 08 is far more broken in than the 09 which could be the only/ultimate difference.

I know that my 03 got faster and faster as time went on but it wasn't as fast when I first got it.

I would also venture to think that since the same guy owns both cars and that the 09 is the newer/better looking model with more HP/TQ that he would have no bias and therefore/probably even expect and want his 09 to win.

Yes, they were doing something unsafe but the starts of the race look very even to me and both appear to be CVTs because you can watch his other vids and see how he took both cars out on seperate runs by himself and ran them to 100.

I suspect that the CVT and the extra weight of the 09 plus with it being so new hasn't quite broken in enough yet to do the kind of thing we saw the 08 doing to it yet.

Then again, it could be that the 08 is just faster due to all the extra weight of the 09.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 AM

good stuff. some of you act like you dont tap the gas every once in a while. and you have chose to buy a "4 door sports car" wow
Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Im glad i had a mute button so i didnt have to listen to him talk...

I would smoke them both LOL...
Old 01-04-2009, 10:23 AM
aka The Doom Ship

My thoughts exactly! You guys act like a bunch of wusses. They wasn't even goin' that fast. The 09 pulled hands down.

Originally Posted by Majestic Ken
good stuff. some of you act like you dont tap the gas every once in a while. and you have chose to buy a "4 door sports car" wow
Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 AM

observations

The 09 pulled hands down.

That's what I thought. The way the 08 caught up twice then faded made it look like he was shifting. I'm not advocating street racing.. btw. The narrator is an attention junkie always talking about youtube during his videos. His 0-60 runs on another youtube vid shows the soft spot from about 20-30 mph. I swear if that gets fixed, it will run 6.0. Car and Driver and Motor Trend usually publish unrealistic acceleration figures for most cars they test (5.8?) or they drive better than other mags.

Not much you can do with a CVT. Hit the gas and steer.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mick7
The 09 pulled hands down.

That's what I thought. The way the 08 caught up twice then faded made it look like he was shifting. I'm not advocating street racing.. btw. The narrator is an attention junkie always talking about youtube during his videos. His 0-60 runs on another youtube vid shows the soft spot from about 20-30 mph. I swear if that gets fixed, it will run 6.0. Car and Driver and Motor Trend usually publish unrealistic acceleration figures for most cars they test (5.8?) or they drive better than other mags.

Not much you can do with a CVT. Hit the gas and steer.

I agree with 100%!! The Magazine times vary from one to the next and it is hard to put your trust in any of those numbers because the conditions from one Mag's testing to another's is not necessarily under the same conditions (weather, road surface, wet or dry, etc., etc.).

As far as the CVT, you can't TQ brake it or anything, push the pedal and hold on (kinda sucks in a way because I can torque brake my 03 and pull like a bat out of hell from a standing stop).
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Well, as far as I know both cars are owned by the same guy and he asked one of his friends to come along and drive the 09 and he was the one with the camera (they were both alone).
I cannot speculate which car had what amount of fuel or if the other driver hesitated or what but my biggest suspicion is that the 08 is far more broken in than the 09 which could be the only/ultimate difference.

I know that my 03 got faster and faster as time went on but it wasn't as fast when I first got it.

I would also venture to think that since the same guy owns both cars and that the 09 is the newer/better looking model with more HP/TQ that he would have no bias and therefore/probably even expect and want his 09 to win.

Yes, they were doing something unsafe but the starts of the race look very even to me and both appear to be CVTs because you can watch his other vids and see how he took both cars out on seperate runs by himself and ran them to 100.

I suspect that the CVT and the extra weight of the 09 plus with it being so new hasn't quite broken in enough yet to do the kind of thing we saw the 08 doing to it yet.

Then again, it could be that the 08 is just faster due to all the extra weight of the 09.

I did not come away from that blurp with the feeling the '08 was actually faster, and magazine testers testing in much more controlled conditions certainly found the '09 faster than the '08 in their testing. One mag even got a 5.8 to sixty with the '09, which the '08 certainly could not obtain. Based on much more controlled testing than in this blurb, I consider the '09 to be faster than the '08

But it absolutely amazes me that otherwise sane individuals would do something like this on a public road. Very immature. There are tracks where things like this can be done without grave danger to innocent citizens. Had a tragedy occurred, and many do from these shennagans, everyone's life would have been ruined.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Sorry, Ken. I don't buy it. There are many ways to take advantage of a 4DSC without breaking the law or endangering the public. There is a huge difference in occasionally exceeding the limit on a controlled access freeway or on an open rural highway in daylight, and in doing this sort of thing in an urban area at night.

In living a very long time, I have seen far too many totally innocent families destroyed in shennanigans such as this. It always starts out innocently enough, but some unsuspecting mother with her precious children in her car pulls out from a residential side street, unable in the dark to know the headlights in the distance are not on a car doing the posted 45.

There are very good reasons this sort of thing is strictly against the law, and perps doing it severely punished if caught.

There are places (offroad tracks) for this sort of thing.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
My thoughts exactly! You guys act like a bunch of wusses. They wasn't even goin' that fast. The 09 pulled hands down.

'Bunch of wusses?' Not at all. We are simply saying this sort of thing belongs on an offroad track. Caring about others on the road is not being a 'wuss', it is being thoughtful and caring about our fellow drivers. These folks did not even have the common decency to find a rural road and do this sort of thing in daylight where regular drivers might be able to avoid getting in the way.

We may feel we are 'expert drivers', and think we have excellent control of our vehicle at speed. But we have to understand we share the road with millions of drivers who are being very careful and somewhat slow because they are not expert at judging distances or driving in general; they are simply trying to get their kids to a soccer game or piano lesson. Traffic laws are made for the average driver's ability, not the expert's ability.

No, there was none of the insane hundred MPH stuff here, and I have seen much worse. But this is still illegal stuff, sets a poor example to impressionable young folks viewing the video, and definitely poses a risk to the public. Had the police happened by, they go down. That isn't 'wuss', its simply the law.

Yes, I am swayed by having lost friends to this sort of 'innocent' thing. But I felt this type of thing was very unwise before losing those friends.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I did not come away from that blurp with the feeling the '08 was actually faster, and magazine testers testing in much more controlled conditions certainly found the '09 faster than the '08 in their testing. One mag even got a 5.8 to sixty with the '09, which the '08 certainly could not obtain. Based on much more controlled testing than in this blurb, I consider the '09 to be faster than the '08

But it absolutely amazes me that otherwise sane individuals would do something like this on a public road. Very immature. There are tracks where things like this can be done without grave danger to innocent citizens. Had a tragedy occurred, and many do from these shennagans, everyone's life would have been ruined.
Maybe this will change your mind: Removed.

Last edited by SEmy2K2go; 01-12-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Love my '09

Careful, this thread is close to violating the "street race" rule...
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM

WIth over 24 years of road racing experience, I've gotta tell you that's some of the worst stuff I've seen on this board. Doing that sort of "car comparison testing" AT NIGHT on a back road is unpredictable and dangerous. All it'll take is one variable (obstacle, bump, dog/cat/child creeping out) and disaster looms.

Despite all the safety measures Nissan has engineered into their newest products, there's no safeguards against being a dumba$$ and filming a stunt like this. Take that stuff to the dragstrip and you might also get reaction times, quarter mile and 60' info to determine how both Maximas (and their drivers) performed. Better yet, take it the road racing track, where you might even learn how to DRIVE your Nissan better and do it in an environment where you can safely explore high-speed fun.

Please don't accuse me of being a wuss. As a current SCCA/NASA racer who has campaigned Nissans (both FWD and RWD) at tracks from coast-to-coast, I've got plenty of experience being in dicey and dangerous situations. Still, I wouldn't do what these bozos did. Both Light and JC53 are RIGHT ON in assessing this video.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

dkmura - Thanks for the sanity.

I understand that we have a lot of young folks posting here, and I can certainly remember when I was young, less aware of possible consequences, and took chances. The excitement of such things was empowering. But the old 'body count' mantra applies here; attend enough funerals of young families, and one's view changes.

Just to join in the misguided 'spirit' of the thread for one last second, it was obvious the '08 gunned it just before the '09 did at the start, and was moving a fraction of a second before the '09 budged. I still go with the times recorded by professional testers under test conditions at the track. Which makes the '09 slightly faster.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM

0-60 is even more dangerous
Let me make this clear here for the record:
In no way, form or fashion do I condone street racing and the people in the video are NOT ME NOR do I KNOW either person.

My point of posting the video was not to bragg about street racing or to showcase individuals doing unsafe manuevers on city streets.

My point in posting the vids was to show the comparo of the speed in the 09 vs the 08 and to show if there is a power/speed differential in the two.

Please drive respectfully.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Incognito

who cares? close this stupid thread. We all know 6/6.5 gens are faster so lets just leave it alone
Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 AM

It took me a while to figure out that this thread is about a street event that shows that an '08 Maxima can beat an '09 Maxima.

What came through was the cocksure attitude of the YouTube poster. Like the poster above, I cringed at hearing his arrogant play-by-play voice-over.

What do I think? If I really thought an '08 is better than an '09, why did I intentionally wait for the '09 to arrive in the market. Certainly it was not cost. The '09 is clearly a more sophisticated vehicle. I don't really care which car is faster. It is but one element that makes the '09 Max what it is.

As for street racing; I have an anecdote: In a certain Queens NY neighborhood, people were holding nightly drag races. The residents were angry, complained to the cops, but nothing happened. One day, a resident poured a quantity of motor oil on the "dragstrip." The ensuing crash killed two drivers. The resident went to jail. The moral of this story is that nothing good can come from street racing.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by BigPete
who cares? close this stupid thread. We all know 6/6.5 gens are faster so lets just leave it alone

If you thought the thread was so stupid then why bother to post??

I don't understand ppl like you who simply come here to put down what was otherwise a good effort to show the differences in the power of both vehicles.

This vid, like it or not is the best example of the power differences that we have for these 2 cars.

To CTMaxima: I know that you aren't concerned about which car is faster but obviously to some ppl they are, I know the 09 is more refined than the 08 which is exactly why I bought one too.

I think too many ppl here attempt to criticize instead of realize the point of this thread.

Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't make the vids, I simply posted them as a comparo to get a picture of what the 09 is like vs an 08, nothing more and nothing less.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 AM

That was nice!!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 AM

That vid compared a 08 to a 09 in DRIVE, not DRIVE Sport, or Manual Shift. The Drive Sport mode attained the fastest times during testing. That guys voice in the video is annoying as all hell.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Banned

crap video
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

This is the first and last warning for this section.
Any racing threads will be locked and poster will be banned for 1 month.
The same rules apply here as in the rest of the forum.

And don't PM me telling me that it wasn't a street racing thread/video. I've seen enough to know.

Last edited by SEmy2K2go; 01-12-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Careful, this thread is close to violating the "street race" rule...
It's not close to, it does.