7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rims Size for 7th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Question Rims Size for 7th Gen?

hello fellas, as spring approaches.. wheels come to mind.. i currently own a 09 max...

i was wondering if i run 20x8.5 front & 20x10 rear 40mm offset all around ..wrapped with 255/35 tire planning to drop it with H&R's too. (1.4 frt, 1.3 rear)

do u thing it could work with out any modification to the fenders.? please let me know!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM

offset

umm probably not.. but front wheel drives arent suppose to have any offset.... you could have them put on but you will effect the alignment tho..
Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by eccentrichiphop
umm probably not.. but front wheel drives arent suppose to have any offset.... you could have them put on but you will effect the alignment tho..
what he said
Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 PM

I thought front wheel drives have +offset. Aren't the rims on the 2009 +50mm offset?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Adamax
I thought front wheel drives have +offset. Aren't the rims on the 2009 +50mm offset?

Exactly.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Red face

what do u guys think of this on a silver 09 max.. 20x8.5 frnt 20x10 in the rear!!? IMO i think it would look kool... as i dont wanna go with a wheel with a lip.

after wheels comes H&R's...

Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Those are nice. But why do you want to go staggered on a front wheel drive car?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM

The other factor to consider is the increase in unsprung weight you'd have with that large a wheel. Although the Maxima's brakes are stout, you'd conservatively add 20-25% more unsprung weight and increase stopping distances to the car. It'll also drag down fuel economy, acceleration and handling.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura
The other factor to consider is the increase in unsprung weight you'd have with that large a wheel. Although the Maxima's brakes are stout, you'd conservatively add 20-25% more unsprung weight and increase stopping distances to the car. It'll also drag down fuel economy, acceleration and handling.

. . . but . . . but . . . what has performance or efficiency got to do with anything? This is like saying I shouldn't wear my favorite thong because it chafes, serves as a full-time 'wedgie', and I have trouble getting around it when I feel 'the call.'

Seriously, I wonder how much this suggested wheel and tire combo weighs? Do we know how much the OEM wheel/tire combo weighs? Of course the difference must be multiplied by four to obtain the overall difference. What about the outer diameter of this suggested combo? Will it be much different that that of the space-saver spare tire? If so, then the spare probably shouldn't be used on the front for more than short distances.

But here I am into this so deep I have confused myself. Oh, wait; I was already confused.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
. . . but . . . but . . . what has performance or efficiency got to do with anything? This is like saying I shouldn't wear my favorite thong because it chafes, serves as a full-time 'wedgie', and I have trouble getting around it when I feel 'the call.'

Seriously, I wonder how much this suggested wheel and tire combo weighs? Do we know how much the OEM wheel/tire combo weighs? Of course the difference must be multiplied by four to obtain the overall difference. What about the outer diameter of this suggested combo? Will it be much different that that of the space-saver spare tire? If so, then the spare probably shouldn't be used on the front for more than short distances.

But here I am into this so deep I have confused myself. Oh, wait; I was already confused.
You're quite right about the space saver; it's not meant to be used for anything other than short distances. As for the comparison with a thong- you're scaring me a bit there, Light!

My point is that there are downsides to modding your Maxima IMHO. Adding bigger, heavier wheels and tires are among the common mistakes I see enthusiasts making with their cars. Besides increased wear on both brakes and suspension, there's a possibility your warranty could be affected with the use of non-OEM (and heavier) parts like this.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura
My point is that there are downsides to modding your Maxima IMHO. Adding bigger, heavier wheels and tires are among the common mistakes I see enthusiasts making with their cars. Besides increased wear on both brakes and suspension, there's a possibility your warranty could be affected with the use of non-OEM (and heavier) parts like this.

Yes, I understood your very well made point. In fact, it is because of the performance sacrifices involved that I would never have any interest in 22 (or even 20) inch after-market rims or any type lowering or any type of body molding beneath the front bumper of my Maxima.

The last car I put larger wheels and tires on was my '78 Datsun 200SX. It came with 13 inch wheels and 175X70-13 tires. I changed to 14 inch wheels and 195X70-14 tires (off a 1980 200SX). Even that modest change pushed the limits for that little car. The air dam I added in front of that car was crushed the first day my daughter took it to high school.

When we go to significantly larger wheels (more than one inch above OEM), that requires that the tires be a lower profile. The lower the profile, the less sidewall height the tire has, the firmer (rougher) it will ride, the more wear that will put on all parts of the suspension, the more vulnerable it will be to damage from any sort of pothole, and, often, the more expensive the tire.

And lowering a car or adding air dams under the front end brings a situation where ground clearance becomes a constant concern. The car immediately becomes less roadworthy, as it must be kept on flat pavement, and away from all curbs of any height.

In case there may be any doubt, I am 100% behind your contention that oversize rims and tires are often quite detrimental to vehicle performance.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 AM

It's a bit like medicine. We should all take oaths to "do no harm". All mods should either help your Maxima's performance, or at the very least, be neutral. BTW- select those rolling diameters of aftermarket wheels/tires carefully. The VDC system is sensitive to speed differentials between front and rear tires and there have been 350Zs that have gone into 'limp' mode because of it.