7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Is anyone else having issues with the voice recognition?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Is anyone else having issues with the voice recognition?

Hello everyone, I don't know why the voice recognition system is giving me trouble. I know the manual says that the inside of the car has to be very quiet, and I have done this...but it seems that no matter what I do, the system will not pick up any of my voice commands after I hit the "talk" button. Even yelling doesn't work...but I know that I shouldn't even have to do that and the manual states to speak in a normal voice. The strange thing is that if someone calls me and the Bluetooth kicks in, the person on the other end can hear me fine. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what you did about it.

The car is almost due for its 6 month service, so I might have them look into this. Thanks in advance.

Daniel
Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 440 miles on my new 09 max and have no problems so far communiting with it.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I followed the "training" procedure in the owners manual and the voice commands work perfectly, even with a bit of noise in the cabin. It is noticeably worse for passengers that have not trained the system to their voices.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 AM

If you are talking about voice commands for Navigation, mine works great (now up to 19K miles.) If you are talking about some of the "bluetooth" voice commands I find that it is more dependant on my phone than the Max. My old reliable Treo 700W doesn't support "Bluetooth" voice commands (or phone book transfer) so obviously, using the voice command for that doesn't work. I've ordered a new phone due this week (yes a windows mobile type again!!) that supports more bluetooth profiles so I may be able to report on that later in the week.

Lt
Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Love my '09

LtLeary, Nissan has a bluetooth tested page that tells you which phones were tested, which support phonebook transfer, etc.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 AM

LOL, yes they do...too many phones for them to test every combination. Even my old treo 700w was in their Testing in progress stage for a while (I note it is no longer there) and that is a relatively old phone. For us "bleeding edge" guys, we "pays our monies and takes our chances!!!!" My new one is (will be when Fedex gets here) a Samsung Saga As this phone is only available on-line (today that is from Verizon) I don't think Nissan is going to make testing that one a priority! But a good reminder to all that the website is there nontheless!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oncoryncus
I followed the "training" procedure in the owners manual and the voice commands work perfectly, even with a bit of noise in the cabin. It is noticeably worse for passengers that have not trained the system to their voices.
I tried that and it would not even recognize my voice then for some commands. I haven't tried it since. I'll give it another shot before I bring it to the dealership. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Well, got my new phone. Works well. I did NOT do the the manual training (I guess that as the car was made in Tennessee my Hillbilly accent is recognized without problem) and have no problems dialing by name, number, navigation, etc...even with the fan on high!

Lt
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
Well, got my new phone. Works well. I did NOT do the the manual training (I guess that as the car was made in Tennessee my Hillbilly accent is recognized without problem) and have no problems dialing by name, number, navigation, etc...even with the fan on high!

Lt
I think something is definitely wrong with my system then. I can have everything off and it still doesn't pick up my voice.

I'll keep you all posted on it. Thanks for the responses!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 PM

Hello all, just to give you an update...I took the car to Baker Jackson Nissan this morning. I let the advisor try the commands and he couldn't get it to pick up his voice either...even after yelling at it. I left it there and finally when it was ready, he told me that this is a problem that no one has encountered before. I had received a few HDD errors before too, but they were unable to duplicate the error. He said that they had to call Nissan and order a new audio/navigation system because everything is centralized in that system. According to him, this is not something that they stock and the item will have to come from the assembly line. He said it runs about $3,000...but of course that will fall under my warranty.

It will be awhile before it comes in, so I'll just have to do the manual thing until it comes in and they fix it. I'll let you all know what happens. Stay tuned!

DJ
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Good luck with your repairs Big Dawg. Personally, I have found very little use for the voice recognition system, and I'm really disappointed in it. I think it's the car's biggest drawback. What good is it to have "Climate Control ON" as a command, when it ought to be "Driver's temperature 75 degrees"? That's how the Acura system works. Really... does anyone ever turn their climate control OFF??? You still have to adjust all temps by turning the **** anyway. And I have found nearly all of the voice commands to be lacking that way.
I also get frustrated not being able to just say "Call Big Dawg" and have it do it. You have to go through the whole ritual as far as I can tell.
But I still love my Max. :-)
Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Hello everyone. Well, the unit finally came in and I took the Max to the dealership to have them replace it. The system works great now! It feels like a new car all over again.