7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Access

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Oil Filter Access

I am in the middle of changing the oil on my '09 Maxima for the first time. Access to the oil filter from the bottom is blocked by a plastic shroud. I can see that this shroud is held in with plastic poppet fasteners. But I don't know which poppets to pop.

It also seem possible to access the filter by removing the right front wheel.

What is the easiest method to get at the filter?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 PM

CT Maxima,

There is a thread below about Maxima specific oil where someone discussed the cover. Bleow is a copy of that post. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Hello everyone. I spoke with someone at Baker Jackson Nissan here in Houston and asked about the oil. He said that they don't carry the oil (with the additive) and that any good 5W-30 oil would be fine. He did mention Castrol GTX.

Also, I changed my oil today for the first time and there is a strap holding a plastic cover over the oil filter. There's a plastic push-pin that you have to remove in order to remove the strap and access the filter. I just used a flat-head screwdriver to pop the center part out so that the strap could be removed. Just letting the rest of you DIYs know just in case. :-)
Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlueMax
CT Maxima,

There is a thread below about Maxima specific oil where someone discussed the cover. Bleow is a copy of that post. Hope this helps.
Thanks BlueMax.

I did a search on oil filter and "oil filter" and could not find the referenced thread.

Let's see if I can pop it off.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Ct Maxima

Click on that little blue arrow after "Originally Posted by BigDawg" on my post above. That will take you to the thread.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 PM

Oil change is done. It was not as easy as I had thought. I broke the poppet fastener on the strap so it will have to be replaced.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 PM

Those plastic fastners can be tricky. I like to use a thin flathead screwdriver to 'pop' the center rivet up. Then the whole fastner can be removed by pulling gently on it. It's gotta be easier on the Max than the 350Z- I have to remove 12 10mm bolts and three fastners to drop the plastic engine pan before changing the oil on the FM chassis.

Last edited by dkmura; 06-11-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by CT Maxima
Oil change is done. It was not as easy as I had thought. I broke the poppet fastener on the strap so it will have to be replaced.
Sorry to hear that! I used the smallest screwdriver I could find and just popped the center part of it out. I must admit that it took me a little while to even locate the filter. I just assumed that it was in the exact same spot as on my 1998 Maxima. I guess technically it is...Nissan just added do-it-yourself-deterrent shrouds around it.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Sorry to hear that! I used the smallest screwdriver I could find and just popped the center part of it out. I must admit that it took me a little while to even locate the filter. I just assumed that it was in the exact same spot as on my 1998 Maxima. I guess technically it is...Nissan just added do-it-yourself-deterrent shrouds around it.
No worries. I purchased a new poppet fastener and it is as you described. It was a $3.00 lesson. I think the deterrent shrouds you refer to are for aerodynamics.

When you remove the poppet holding the strap, it allows the shroud, which is flexible, to be moved. Even so, you do not have clear access to the filter. Imagine the filter is a fetus in childbirth and you will know what I am talking about.

Here is a strange event observed during the oil change. As I was pouring in the fresh oil, its travel down the engine induced a resonance frequency sound. It was very similar to the sound crystal stemware makes when rubbed a certain way. For those who do their own oil change, listen for the sound next time.

Last edited by CT Maxima; 02-19-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Changed my oil too for the first time this weekend. I used my 3 ton floor jack to lift her up, there is a good spot right down the center of the car under the engine. It is not very pronounced like my 95 was, but you should be able to see it.
The shroud was no problem, I poped a few extra fasteners to see if it makes it easier to access the filter. It was not, so from now on I will just undo the one under the strap on the bottom of the car. I wedged a piece of cardboard to keep plastic from getting in the way, worked out well.
What was a PITA though is that filter is recessed so deep in the car, when you take it off, the oil runs all over the place. While trying to mop up in there, I cut up my fingers pretty good on sharp metal edges. So be careful or wear gloves if you go in there.
I wish there was a trick to capture the oil from the filter somehow.
On the plus side, to remove the filter I used a plastic cup end filter wrench that I got at walmart. Worked great! On my other car I have to use slip over wrench, which is a pain.
I also installed a Fumoto Oil valve, which should make future oil changes go smoother.
I tried taking pics, but they did not come out too well. Did not hear any weird noises while pouring oil either, but I did not pay much attention to them.
Holler if you need help.
Max

Last edited by maxud; 03-09-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Are there are warranty issues from changing your own oil? It doesn't have to be done by a dealer or licensed garage does it?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by iannkt
Are there are warranty issues from changing your own oil? It doesn't have to be done by a dealer or licensed garage does it?
If the engine blows and/or seizes and it is directly linked to you not tightening the drain plug enough or oil filter enough and causing the oil to leak out then yes.

Last edited by Mreim769; 06-10-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Does anyone know if the poppet that you have to remove to access the filter is the same size as the one holding the left side engine shroud in place? That poppet has a little thing-a-ma-gig that you can grasp to pull the center out. Really makes it easy to remove. If it is the same size then I (we) need to pick up one from the dealer to replace the one on the filter strap to make access easier in the future.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Does anyone know if the poppet that you have to remove to access the filter is the same size as the one holding the left side engine shroud in place? That poppet has a little thing-a-ma-gig that you can grasp to pull the center out. Really makes it easy to remove. If it is the same size then I (we) need to pick up one from the dealer to replace the one on the filter strap to make access easier in the future.
good thinking......
Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by maxud
Changed my oil too for the first time this weekend. I used my 3 ton floor jack to lift her up, there is a good spot right down the center of the car under the engine. It is not very pronounced like my 95 was, but you should be able to see it.
The shroud was no problem, I poped a few extra fasteners to see if it makes it easier to access the filter. It was not, so from now on I will just undo the one under the strap on the bottom of the car. I wedged a piece of cardboard to keep plastic from getting in the way, worked out well.
What was a PITA though is that filter is recessed so deep in the car, when you take it off, the oil runs all over the place. While trying to mop up in there, I cut up my fingers pretty good on sharp metal edges. So be careful or wear gloves if you go in there.
I wish there was a trick to capture the oil from the filter somehow.
On the plus side, to remove the filter I used a plastic cup end filter wrench that I got at walmart. Worked great! On my other car I have to use slip over wrench, which is a pain.
I also installed a Fumoto Oil valve, which should make future oil changes go smoother.
I tried taking pics, but they did not come out too well. Did not hear any weird noises while pouring oil either, but I did not pay much attention to them.
Holler if you need help.
Max
I agree, what a pain, I had to reach up and mop it off the car, and then the carport floor. We need a fix for this maybe some tray?....
Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM

I changed my own for the first time on the Max this weekend. The filter is in the same spot as my 06 Altima, which made it very familiar. I know what you mean about the oil running out the filter when you are pulling it off. What I have always done with the Alty and did with the Max is use a plastic grocery bag and drape it over the frame underneath the filter. With the oil pan right under the bag, the oil hits the bag and drains into the pan. I then pull the bag down into the pan and no mess.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by bizarjuggalo
I changed my own for the first time on the Max this weekend. The filter is in the same spot as my 06 Altima, which made it very familiar. I know what you mean about the oil running out the filter when you are pulling it off. What I have always done with the Alty and did with the Max is use a plastic grocery bag and drape it over the frame underneath the filter. With the oil pan right under the bag, the oil hits the bag and drains into the pan. I then pull the bag down into the pan and no mess.
A piece of aluminum foil works great also. It is easy to mold over the frame and you can make channels in it to direct the oil to where you want it.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 AM

Well, I would suggest that you all do what I do:

Work smarter, not harder:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Perfectly safe and highly effective-takes minutes and is worth every penny.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2009, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Well, I would suggest that you all do what I do:

Work smarter, not harder:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Perfectly safe and highly effective-takes minutes and is worth every penny.

Thanks
That's pretty sweet! I take it that you haven't experienced any leaks since you've been using it.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:46 AM

That's pretty sweet! I take it that you haven't experienced any leaks since you've been using it.
I will chime in here. The first oil change I installed Fumoto quick oil drain valve.
Last weekend I was doing oil change for the second time and noticed oil residue around the gasket, not too much but enough to try to tighten it some more. When I tried tightening the valve, the gasket got ripped (it is not copper or aluminum, but made of fiber). So, as a result I removed it until next oil change, when I will install it with a new gasket.

Before new Max, I had it on the '95 Max and wife's '05 Ody. The product works as designed and is a pleasure to use. I highly recommend it.
Max
Old 06-19-2009, 06:42 AM

No problems here but like Maxud said you need to ensure that you don't have any leakage and a small gasket will help to seal the deal.

Mine does not leak, so just order the one you think best fits your needs and go for it, it saves time.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM

I have used the valve on many cars, and it works fine. Just ordered one for my 09, about five minutes ago.