7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

service engine light came on

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 AM

service engine light came on

im about 6,500 miles and the service engine light came on.. is this normal maintenece? i already did the oil changes..
Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by liypfhe1
im about 6,500 miles and the service engine light came on.. is this normal maintenece? i already did the oil changes..
The only reason y i can think that the light would come on is you have something wrong with your engine regardless of the miles that you have on it. I was get it to a dealership asap just to be sure. Who knows it could be a problem or the light could have just come on from a lose gas cap or something.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:08 PM

on a car with such low miles its more then likely a gas cap not being on right. I would take it to the dealer reguardless
Old 02-22-2009, 01:31 PM

yeah take it to the dealership, they'll check the code. probably the gas cap. i make sure mine clicks atleast 5 times
Old 02-22-2009, 02:06 PM
GrandPa

If this happened after you filled it up it would be the gas cap. Just take it off and put it back on. Turn it until you hear`3 or 4 clicks. The engine light will go out in a day or 2. This happened to me on my 6th gen whe=n I 1st brought the car.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:32 AM

i will check in a few min.. i was kinda skeptical too about the light coming on.. She has been sooo good to me.. hope there is nothing wrong with her..
Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 PM

I wouldn't go panicking yet, more than likely it is Emissions/O2 Sensor or MAF related. Check the Gas Cap and ensure it is tightened, also try cleaning your Air Filter (especially if you have a K & N and then start it up again.

If the light is still on after all this go by Auto Zone or some store like it and get them to test it out to see if this is an easy fix, the Delearship usually charge you just to look at certain things.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Is it not under warranty? I'd take it to the dealer.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
I wouldn't go panicking yet, more than likely it is Emissions/O2 Sensor or MAF related. Check the Gas Cap and ensure it is tightened, also try cleaning your Air Filter (especially if you have a K & N and then start it up again.

If the light is still on after all this go by Auto Zone or some store like it and get them to test it out to see if this is an easy fix, the Delearship usually charge you just to look at certain things.

Good luck.

But be aware that, even after you have 'fixed' whatever caused the light to come on (such as being sure the gas cap is on tight), it may take a few days before the light finally decides to go off. That is unless the problem is fixed at the dealer, and he turns the light off after fixing the problem.

With my dealer, if this happened after around 12,000 miles, then depending on what caused the problem, there might be a charge. But with only 6,500 miles, unless the problem was due to something I had done wrong, my dealer would find a way to charge it where it belongs - to Nissan.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM

Warranty

Interesting. This is my first Nissan. I never, ever paid for anything or had a "service" charge during warranty coverage with GM (7 new cars from 1962 until 2004) as much as people dislike that company and disparage its products.

Let us know how this all shakes out, please?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mick7
Interesting. This is my first Nissan. I never, ever paid for anything or had a "service" charge during warranty coverage with GM (7 new cars from 1962 until 2004) as much as people dislike that company and disparage its products.

Im very happy to know someone had good service with GM. I drove nothing but GM products in the years between my '49 Studebaker and my '78 Datsun, but since all those GM vehicles were bought used, I had no warranty. I surely was on very familiar terms with the various (several Pontiacs, Chevys, Oldsmobiles, etc) service folks, because I was constantly there for some kind of problem.

In fairness to GM, in those days, the roads were bad, and I drove hard and I drove long, with many coast-to-coast trips, and didn't know as much about vehicles as I do now.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 AM

i will check in a few min.. i was kinda skeptical too about the light coming on.. She has been sooo good to me.. hope there is nothing wrong with her..
I had the same problem. Dealer replaced gas cap and no problem since then. Be sure to tighten the cap at least eight clicks.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM

It's odd that your car is the only car that has this problem thus far. I too have owned GM products and oddly enough for me they were all crap, I've never really had any issues with the 6 cars (3 Altimas, 3 Maximas) I've bought from Nissan that's why this seems so weird and so early into owning the car as well.

I hope and pray that it is something minor/insignificant and can be repaired right away with no charge, these are nice cars and we (Owners) do not need anything destroying the reputation of them especially being fairly new.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 PM

not my car

I was not the OP on this topic. My Max is fine so far.

After adding it up, I had 8 not 7 new GM cars. Not a single one had more than one warranty issue in the first 3 years. 3 of them had no warranty claims at all. To be fair, the trouble usually starts from 60k on up. Some known issues have been around for years and GM never fixed them, hoping the warranty ran out first. I would not hesitate to lease a new GM product every 36 months if they made anything desirable..it's after that the trouble begins but that is also true of many other makes including VW, BMW and Mercedes.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 PM

I was not the OP on this topic. My Max is fine so far.

After adding it up, I had 8 not 7 new GM cars. Not a single one had more than one warranty issue in the first 3 years. 3 of them had no warranty claims at all. To be fair, the trouble usually starts from 60k on up. Some known issues have been around for years and GM never fixed them, hoping the warranty ran out first. I would not hesitate to lease a new GM product every 36 months if they made anything desirable..it's after that the trouble begins but that is also true of many other makes including VW, BMW and Mercedes.

The GM (un)reliability problems really show up in surveys. Not that Chrysler is better. And surprisingly, some of the German makes (such as Mercedes, Volks, etc) are every bit as unreliable as GM products. Of the big three American companies, only Ford has been able to finally move into the area of good reliability. Then Ford realized they trail in styling, so they are working on that. The Taurus arriving this coming fall is much improved stylistically over the old one.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 PM

OH yeah forgot to post results.. it was the gas cap.. Nissan confirmed it.. no worries!!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 AM

OH yeah forgot to post results.. it was the gas cap.. Nissan confirmed it.. no worries!!

The gas cap has been the culprit almost every time we've had a 'Service Engine' light. By the way, did you need a new cap, or were you just told to tighten the old one tighter?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM

i was just told to tighten it.. funny thing is.. when i assumed it was the cap i was trying to tighten it but for some reason the plastic that connects it to the car kept loosening it when i closed the gas bay door dunno why.. i guess i wasn't pressing down hard enough