7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I'm new here and have a question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SES light at 2,000 miles

Just past 2,000 miles today on my '10 SV. Started up and "Service Engine Soon" light was on! Anyone want to opine on what this will turn out to be? Car seems to be operating normally.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by djmessing
Just past 2,000 miles today on my '10 SV. Started up and "Service Engine Soon" light was on! Anyone want to opine on what this will turn out to be? Car seems to be operating normally.
Check your gas cap. If you don't give it like three clicks minimum then it will throw the SES light. Just turn it a couple clicks and the light will go out after a couple driving cycles if that is indeed the problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

solved

Originally Posted by TigerGenetics
Check your gas cap. If you don't give it like three clicks minimum then it will throw the SES light. Just turn it a couple clicks and the light will go out after a couple driving cycles if that is indeed the problem.
Well thank you very much. I re-seated the gas cap and it did turn off the SES light on the third start. My wife had filled up the car for the first time and did not really pay attention, she said. She was just very pleased with herself for being able to open the fuel service door!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Love my '09

Cheapest fix you'll ever have!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Well thank you very much. I re-seated the gas cap and it did turn off the SES light on the third start. My wife had filled up the car for the first time and did not really pay attention, she said. She was just very pleased with herself for being able to open the fuel service door!
Funny, my fiance did the same thing. Filled up my car and she didn't tighten it up enough.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Newbie w/ ?'s

I just bought my 2010 SV+Premium Max friday and it is my first new car and I am coming from a 1997 4x4 F150 w/ 235,000 miles and I have several questions.

1.) How long does the heated steering wheel stay on? I know the light on the switch stays activated for 10-20 minutes or so, but the steering wheel gets hot very quickly only about a minute or so, but after 5 minutes it feels like the heater turns off. How long should it stay hot?
2.) Climate controlled drivers seat, the cooling feature seems to work very well but the heater does not seem to get as hot as it should ... how warm should it get?
3.) When the car is cold and I first leave my house I hear a sound once and only once and only when the car is cold ... it sounds like I run over a stick w/ the left front tire any idea what this maybe? I am 99% positive there has been nothing in the road every time I have heard this.
4.) Also the dual climate control, how well should it work? I am always cold and my wife is always hot, so I have my side set on 85 and she has her's set on 60, however the a/c seems to dominate and her side is very cool and my side is no where near as warm as I have it set. Is this normal?
4.) It appears that the lock/unlock button on the drivers side control panel only half of it lights up at night. The dealer has ordered a spoiler they will be installing (as part of the deal we made when I bought the car) and I am wondering if I should inquire about any or all of these issues when I bring it to them.
The car had 600 miles on it when I bought it, it is new was never titled and was not listed as a demo.
I am extremely **** and ocd about my old p.o.s. F150 so I am even more so about my amazing new maxima!

Thanks

Last edited by zman764; 03-15-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Maybe so, but I am required to "spout the party line". Please digress from discussing "breaking the law" in reference to speeding or any other illegal activities with your car.

I will not edit this post as is serves as a reminder to all the new folk about the rules and to keep folks out of trouble with the Admins (not just the mods)

Oh, and welcome to the forums!!!
Sorry, didn't mean to break any rules or suggest anyone should drive that fast. I lost my head when I was worried about my little girl. I'll try to be a good citizen on the road and on this forum.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by zman764
I just bought my 2010 SV+Premium Max friday and it is my first new car and I am coming from a 1997 4x4 F150 w/ 235,000 miles and I have several questions.

1.) How long does the heated steering wheel stay on? I know the light on the switch stays activated for 10-20 minutes or so, but the steering wheel gets hot very quickly only about a minute or so, but after 5 minutes it feels like the heater turns off. How long should it stay hot?
2.) Climate controlled drivers seat, the cooling feature seems to work very well but the heater does not seem to get as hot as it should ... how warm should it get?
3.) When the car is cold and I first leave my house I hear a sound once and only once and only when the car is cold ... it sounds like I run over a stick w/ the left front tire any idea what this maybe? I am 99% positive there has been nothing in the road every time I have heard this.
4.) Also the dual climate control, how well should it work? I am always cold and my wife is always hot, so I have my side set on 85 and she has her's set on 60, however the a/c seems to dominate and her side is very cool and my side is no where near as warm as I have it set. Is this normal?
4.) It appears that the lock/unlock button on the drivers side control panel only half of it lights up at night. The dealer has ordered a spoiler they will be installing (as part of the deal we made when I bought the car) and I am wondering if I should inquire about any or all of these issues when I bring it to them.
The car had 600 miles on it when I bought it, it is new was never titled and was not listed as a demo.
I am extremely **** and ocd about my old p.o.s. F150 so I am even more so about my amazing new maxima!

Thanks
1 - Normal. Your heated steering wheel sounds exactly like the rest here. Our preference would be for a 'LO/HI' option, but we get one setting, and it gets rather hot, then falls back to a sometimes warm, sometimes not so warm state, which is by design. This has been the same on all Maxima heated steering wheels from 2004 on.

2 - Normal. Many here don't feel the heat is strong enough, but lots of folks wear more clothes in cold weather, so don't feel the so-so heat from the seat. Just from the posts here over the past 20 months, I do feel some 7th gen driver seats get warmer than others. You might drive with the seat heater on for a few miles, then reach under your fanny and feel the seat. The surface of both the seat area and the lower portion of the backrest should be warm. If not, it is dealer time.

3 - Normal. This usually happens around 17 MPH (often happens somewhat near the time the doors lock), is more pronounced if moving slowly or coasting, and is more noticable on some 7th gens than others. But it is there to some degree on all 7th gens. There have been lots of suggestions as to what it is (like ABS system checking things, etc), but no answer has been verified.

4 - Fairly normal. Dual zone HVAC systems are most effective when the difference between the two sides is not great. It is difficult to have strong heat coming out one vent and strong cold coming out from another vent. Having said that, you should be able to hold a thermometer up to the vents on each side and measure a difference.

4 (second 4) - Normal. Only the LOCK side is lighted. Nissan decided that if we could see one of the two, we know the other one is immediately adjacent. This is also helpful in that we don't have to remember which end is LOCK and which is UNLOCK, or try to read the legends at night; we learn fairly quickly the lit portion is the LOCK end. If we are in the car at night, and need to unlock the door, in addition to knowing the unlit side is UNLOCK, there is a tiny 'mood light' under the top of the arm rest that is always on when the exterior or interior lights are on, and which shines down faintly on the UNLOCK portion of the switch.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 03-15-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 PM

lightonthehill
thank you very much for your detailed response! None of these were big issues, but it was driving me crazy wondering if the car I just spent 35k on was defective ... considering the most I've ever paid for a vehicle before was 10k haha I love this car more than I thought I could love a car! Yeah I didnt discover the "mood" lighting on the door controls until like day 4 ... I saw the one on the center console right away and loved it when I saw the ones on the door it just made me <3 this car that much more lol
Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by zman764
lightonthehill
thank you very much for your detailed response! None of these were big issues, but it was driving me crazy wondering if the car I just spent 35k on was defective ... considering the most I've ever paid for a vehicle before was 10k haha I love this car more than I thought I could love a car! Yeah I didnt discover the "mood" lighting on the door controls until like day 4 ... I saw the one on the center console right away and loved it when I saw the ones on the door it just made me <3 this car that much more lol

I understood your concerns. Each of your questions were questions that I faced when my car was new. Enjoy your baby!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Hi all - I too am a noob and have some questions (and answers).

First the answers:

For the owner who feels the heat difference in the steering wheel - the owner's manual says it cycles to keep it at or around 68 degrees. Also, the heated seats will be less effective (or take longer to be effective) when the driver/passenger wears more layers. I've noticed this on other cars, no biggie. You'll tend to feel heat more on the bottom versus the back, and vice versa. It just has to do with the nature of heat (or the lack thereof).

Now, my questions:

1. How long do the Bose speakers take to break in? The highs seem a bit harsh, like the tweeters need a lot of time to break in (some call it BS, but I've noticed differences, especially on car speakers).

2. Anyone have a dual-panel sunroof issue? Last night, mine wouldn't close. I had to hold the close button until the shade closed (in increments), and then it worked ok. Came back an hour later, after letting the car rest, and it did it again. Hasn't done it since, and I took it to the dealer - they tested it, found no issues/hangups/loose parts, so they cleaned and lubed the track and gave it back, with instructions to bring it immediately to them (7am-7pm) if it occurs again.

3. Anyone else think the car is too fast? My 09 Lincoln MKS had some nice pickup, but this feels like my 04 Mustang GT Convertible, except it doesn't have a manual transmission, so it's easier to get out of hand, LOL! (this last question is just for grins, I love the pickup this car has!)

Thanks,

-John
Old 03-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by DraKhen99
3. Anyone else think the car is too fast? My 09 Lincoln MKS had some nice pickup, but this feels like my 04 Mustang GT Convertible, except it doesn't have a manual transmission, so it's easier to get out of hand, LOL! (this last question is just for grins, I love the pickup this car has!)
Only when the wife is driving it.....
Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Haha, my girlfriend would have a field day with this car! She likes to speed ... it would only make things worse!

Me, on the other hand, I prefer to cruise ... so having all that extra power is bad. This morning was my first real commute in the car, and I gave it the same gas pedal pressure I'd give my Lincoln when I had it, and next thing you know, I was going way faster than I wanted! Needless to say, I clamped down on the binders and got back in line

-John
Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM

I had to LOL at this. I traded in my '97 for an '09 last May. After a week or so, someone asks how I like the car and so I tell 'em how much I love it. My wife them add, "yeah, but why does it immediately go from stopped to 40 MPH". I laughed but deep, deep down I'm thinking "maybe I shouldn't let her in my car anymore...."
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Alright, I still don't have 15 posts, but I have a question:

My sunroof doesn't open/close automatically - you have to hold the button down for it to work. I looked at both of the fuse panels, but didn't see anything labeled "SUNROOF", so which fuse is it that powers the sunroof? I figure it just needs to be reset, so I'd like to do that without resetting my nav system, etc.

Any help?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DraKhen99
Alright, I still don't have 15 posts, but I have a question:

My sunroof doesn't open/close automatically - you have to hold the button down for it to work. I looked at both of the fuse panels, but didn't see anything labeled "SUNROOF", so which fuse is it that powers the sunroof? I figure it just needs to be reset, so I'd like to do that without resetting my nav system, etc.

Any help?

Thanks
Never mind - I fixed it.

My thanks go out to whomever put the Factory Service Manual up on NICO Club: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM

I did the reset procedure (below) and it works fine now.

Here's what I've found: If you have the sunroof in the OPEN position and push the TILT UP button, it will forget where it's at when you go to CLOSE the sunroof, leading to it quitting on you, like it did to me.

Easy instructions to reset sunroof automatic operation:

1. Close the sunroof and sunshade, then release the sunroof switch once.
2. Press and hold the sunroof switch CLOSE (1st or 2nd) again (for approx. 10 seconds), then sunroof will
move to forward and it will be stopped mechanically.
3. Release the sunroof switch, and press and hold the sunroof switch CLOSE (1st or 2nd) again, then sunroof
and sunshade will automatically move to fully closed⇒fully open⇒fully closed.
4. Release sunroof switch, after the sunroof is fully closed.
5. Check sunroof and sunshade operation.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by traderumors
I had to LOL at this. I traded in my '97 for an '09 last May. After a week or so, someone asks how I like the car and so I tell 'em how much I love it. My wife them add, "yeah, but why does it immediately go from stopped to 40 MPH". I laughed but deep, deep down I'm thinking "maybe I shouldn't let her in my car anymore...."
I hear ya! My friend already got a ticket in my max. She came back to me and sheepishly said "your car goes too fast!" I laughed so hard I picked up the ticket!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Question LoJack and Immobilizer System

I'm new and need help/advice from my fellow Max owners. First, I love the content of this site...very full of information. Glad to have found this while I was researching.

I am a new owner of a 2010 Max SV here in AZ. I was convinced by the Finance guy at the dealer that I should get LoJack. So I did for $695. I didn't realize that the car has Immobiler system as part of the security. When I called the Finance guy to cancel it, he said it can't be cancelled because the Control # has been assigned. I called LoJack directly and said they can cancel it but the refund is between me and the dealer. So here's my questions:
1) Can the dealer really deny a refund because of the Control # but the lojack has not been installed yet? The service has yet to be rendered.
2) Do I need LoJack when the Immobilizer system already part the vehicle? Do you have LoJack with your 2009-2010 Max?
3) Unrelated to the security question: Did you guys get GAP insurance?
4) Is it a good deal to get the security and maintenance+plus Gold Preferred?

Thanks in advance! Hope to get feedback soon as I need to take actions quickly with the dealer.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by innofish
I'm new and need help/advice from my fellow Max owners. First, I love the content of this site...very full of information. Glad to have found this while I was researching.

I am a new owner of a 2010 Max SV here in AZ. I was convinced by the Finance guy at the dealer that I should get LoJack. So I did for $695. I didn't realize that the car has Immobiler system as part of the security. When I called the Finance guy to cancel it, he said it can't be cancelled because the Control # has been assigned. I called LoJack directly and said they can cancel it but the refund is between me and the dealer. So here's my questions:
1) Can the dealer really deny a refund because of the Control # but the lojack has not been installed yet? The service has yet to be rendered.
2) Do I need LoJack when the Immobilizer system already part the vehicle? Do you have LoJack with your 2009-2010 Max?
3) Unrelated to the security question: Did you guys get GAP insurance?
4) Is it a good deal to get the security and maintenance+plus Gold Preferred?

Thanks in advance! Hope to get feedback soon as I need to take actions quickly with the dealer.

I'm not much help here. The answer to many of your questions depends on where you live and where you park your car. The Nissan imobilizer system prevents amateurs from stealing your car via hot-wiring, etc., but is of little value stopping carjackings, which are happening every day in urban areas. I heard on the radio Tuesday morning that a 'silvery-bluish' (had to be the new Ocean Gray color) 2010 Maxima was carjacked near the Georgia Tech campus overnight.

I'm not sure what 'gap insurance' is. I have been under the same State Farm policy since 1958, and it covers me in any car I drive, and even covers any new car I may buy for 30 days, even if I haven't told State Farm I have changed cars.

I have never bought an extended warranty, but many folks have. If you plan to keep the car past 36 months/36K miles, a warranty might give you some comfort, knowing big repair bills would not be at your expense.

My car spends over 90% of its time in a locked, double-alarmed, heated/cooled garage. I try to avoid inner city areas, or even driving anywhere at night unless essential. If I parked my Maxima on the street at night, or especially if I drove in inner city areas, I would probably add Lojack to my car.

As to your refund, the finance guy got a big commission for selling you Lojack, and he surely doesn't want to give that up. If you signed paperwork to purchase Lojack, he technically has you over a barrel. I would approach the Sales Manager with this, and if that didn't work, I would try the dealership owner. If that was still unsuccessful, you could tell them you have no choice but to report this to the Better Business Bureau. You might even consider that all TV stations have 'investigative teams' that love to take up the cause of wronged consumers, which gives the dealership a negative image on local airwaves.

Good luck with whatever you try.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 AM

Thanks Light. AZ is one of the worse states for theft, but really depends where you live. I live in the East suburb of Phoenix and it is relatively safe. Of course, we travel throughout the city and drives to Los Angeles once or twice a year. But I'm thinking that if Pros will steal the car, they would wait until you go to a theatre, restaurant, or whereever that would take you at least an hour to be away from your car and tow it and do whatever they need to do. By the time you find out, it would be probably all in pieces and too late to call LoJack. Amateurs probably can't beat the Immobilizer system. But you're right about the carjacking...I just haven't really heard that much about it here.

Gap insurance is an extra insurance you pay. I have State Farm too. Probably need to call them about it. But Gap pays the difference between what you owe and the value of the car in case it gets totaled or stolen and can't be found.

Our vehicles, Accord and Max, are always parked in our garage...although not alarmed and temp controlled like yours! LOL At work, it is parked in a gated garage building.

As for the refund, I need to figure out if I really want to keep the LoJack before I start pushing for it.

Thanks for the reply! Hope to get more feedback from others...have a good night.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM

Light doesn't know anything about gap insurance because he pays cash for his cars. If you had a decent down payment and financed for 4 years or less, you shouldn't need it. If you borrowed 95% of the price and financed for 60 months or longer - you may want to consider it.

I never buy the extended warranty either - the odds are in my favor. If they sell it to you for $1K, then pay a commisssion to the salesman, they are betting that they will pay less than $600-700 over the life of the contract - and they will win on the VAST majority of the vehicles. I'm willing to take my chances, and have never been burned on a Nissan. Virtually all consumer organizations recommend against them on virtually all products because they are way over priced. It would be more aptly labeled as very expensive peace of mind insurance.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Light doesn't know anything about gap insurance because he pays cash for his cars. If you had a decent down payment and financed for 4 years or less, you shouldn't need it. If you borrowed 95% of the price and financed for 60 months or longer - you may want to consider it.

I never buy the extended warranty either - the odds are in my favor. If they sell it to you for $1K, then pay a commisssion to the salesman, they are betting that they will pay less than $600-700 over the life of the contract - and they will win on the VAST majority of the vehicles. I'm willing to take my chances, and have never been burned on a Nissan. Virtually all consumer organizations recommend against them on virtually all products because they are way over priced. It would be more aptly labeled as very expensive peace of mind insurance.

Innofish - Gizzsdad is absolutely right in that I do always pay cash up front for my cars. That is why I was not familiar with gap insurance. I had car payments from 1949 until the mid-1960s, and hated them. Around 1964, I promised myself I would never again buy a car until I had the cash up front. So I went through a few decades where I was buying used cars and driving them well over 200,000 miles. Finally, my frugality put me in a position where, within reason, I can buy pretty much whatever I want for cash up front. My wife is exactly like me, and demands a penny's worth of value for every penny spent. Since we are now both retired (I've been retired 15 years), our frugality has proved to be very useful.

Gizzsdad is also correct about extended warranties. They can give peace of mind, and are right for some people, expecially when buying a less-than-reliable car. But it is common knowledge the person who sells you the extended warranty gets a rather sizable commission, and it is also true consumer organizations such as Consumer Reports has always recommended against getting them, especially when buying a reliable vehicle like the Maxima.

I hope my initial response did not mislead you.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 PM

no prob, Light. thanks for the info. Glad somebody has the discipline!

I just let go of my Mercury Mountaineer v8 that I love but it was starting to have some expensive repairs so I decided to trade it with 2010 Chevy Equinox 4cyl to save on gas on Aug 2009. Boy, that was a mistake. The engine was quiet at first and became louder. Started to have a ticking/knocking noise that the dealer said was normal. I couldn't stand the lack of power, noise, and the built of it so I traded it in for a 2010 max. Didn't loose too much money on it but I LOVE the Max I got. Only downside...I could have paid 2K less for base SV! LOL
Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 AM

Wink

Hi there!
New user of a 2010 Nissan Maxima SV with a tech package and I have a few questions about it:

1) Is there anyway to disable the voice guided tutorial for commands, meaning for when you press the voice recognition button it gives you the prompts to the commands.

2) I read the manual about the auto headlights, but still seem to have some confusion about it. On my previous vehicle (2006 Cadillac STS) the auto headlights would use a small delay to shut off when I either shut the car off or exited and locked the car. However with the Maxima the lights appear to remain ON (I made sure the stalk was on AUTO already) when I do either one.

3) Does walking away from the car with the key fob on my pocket automatically locks the vehicle?

4) Goes a grin come standard with this vehicle? I ask that because I've had one ever since I picked it up.

Thanks in advance!
Ricko
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ricko
Hi there!
New user of a 2010 Nissan Maxima SV with a tech package and I have a few questions about it:

1) Is there anyway to disable the voice guided tutorial for commands, meaning for when you press the voice recognition button it gives you the prompts to the commands.

2) I read the manual about the auto headlights, but still seem to have some confusion about it. On my previous vehicle (2006 Cadillac STS) the auto headlights would use a small delay to shut off when I either shut the car off or exited and locked the car. However with the Maxima the lights appear to remain ON (I made sure the stalk was on AUTO already) when I do either one.

3) Does walking away from the car with the key fob on my pocket automatically locks the vehicle?

4) Goes a grin come standard with this vehicle? I ask that because I've had one ever since I picked it up.

Thanks in advance!
Ricko
Ricko - here are some answers for your questions:

1. You have to enable the advanced mode for voice recognition - check the Nav system's owners manual, it has directions for this.

2. In the "comfort" section of the settings (use the hard Settings button below the nav screen), there should be a setting for headlight delay. You can set it to 0, 30, 45, etc. seconds. When you turn off the car, this setting tells the car how long to wait before shutting off the headlights.

3. Not that I know of.

4. Yes. Now go throw it through some corners
Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bluetooth Pairing Problem with HTC Touch Pro 2

Whenever I attempt to pair my Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 to the Bluetooth system, I get an 'invalid pairing code' error, which is usually 1234. I've searched all over the place for a solution, but could not find an answer.

I know my phone is listed as in the 'testing' phase on Nissan's website, but the original HTC Touch Pro is listed as compatible. Has anyone else had a similar problem and was able to fix it?

The phone compatibility list is here:

http://www.nissanusa.com/bluetooth/r...t%29&x=34&y=15

http://www.nissanusa.com/bluetooth/testing.html

Thanks,

Alex
Old 03-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by itsgold
Whenever I attempt to pair my Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 to the Bluetooth system, I get an 'invalid pairing code' error, which is usually 1234. I've searched all over the place for a solution, but could not find an answer.
I synched my iphone yesterday and had no issues. Try another phone to synch to see if the issue is with your phone or car.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What's up guys, this is my first post on this forum. Just leased 2010 Nissan Maxima SV + Sports Package + Tech Package for 39 months. Picking the car up on the 29th so I am very excited.
I am kind of upset with the 15 post rule before creating your a new thread as most other forums do not have this rule. I am coming from a 2005 G35 sedan so I spent most my time on the G35driver forum. I assumed that this forum would have some categorization of threads like the G35 one. It would be easier for user to locate something rather then re-posting questions etc. Sorry if I'm hating on the forum a bit.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jackooze
What's up guys, this is my first post on this forum. Just leased 2010 Nissan Maxima SV + Sports Package + Tech Package for 39 months. Picking the car up on the 29th so I am very excited.
I am kind of upset with the 15 post rule before creating your a new thread as most other forums do not have this rule. I am coming from a 2005 G35 sedan so I spent most my time on the G35driver forum. I assumed that this forum would have some categorization of threads like the G35 one. It would be easier for user to locate something rather then re-posting questions etc. Sorry if I'm hating on the forum a bit.
The 15 post rule is a good one. As time goes on and the more you interact with this forum you might even wish it was a 50 post rule. A few tips... If you have any questions obviously post them here first what ever they might be untill you can too start a new thread. Second, please search around before starting a new thread when the time comes when you can because chances are there might already be a thread buried in time here that could use you digging it up to ask a related question that has yet to be answered.

And most important of all, please please don't make "meaningless post" like "I agree" and where people say somthing is wrong with there car, don't just post things like "mine doesn't do that" just to accumulate posts to get past the newbie rule. I'm sure you are full of good qustions that have yet to be asked or answered, or are even able to answer questions others have. So please save the post count for those.

Cait wait to hear what you have to add and welcome to the forum.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Interesting warranty experience

I'm at 2,600 miles on my 2010, so yesterday I decide to try to find the oil filter so that maybe I can change the oil this weekend. Lying on the ground, I find the filter, but I also discover that the plastic splash shield between the wheel and the engine is not correctly installed. There are no fasteners on at least four splash shield mounting points and the thing is flopping around, held in place by one upper fastener and the strap thing at the bottom. Looks like the installer ran out of fasteners or just forgot to put them in at the factory!

Well my dealer is 45 miles away from my home -- I bought the car downtown near my office. So, since it is Saturday, I decide to bring it to a different dealer that is closer -- just 20 miles from my home.

After I dropped off the car, the service advisor called me and said: "This needs to be done by the dealer who sold you the car. Missing pieces are not covered by the warranty. The selling dealer is responsible for inspecting and preparing the car for sale and it is theirs to deal with. I'm not sure I even have the parts."

I chose not to argue with him and told him I wanted him to do the work anyway, since I knew it would be a cheap fix and paying the bill would be alot easier for me than retrieving the car from him and taking it to the selling dealer.

So I picked up the car and paid the bill: $8 for parts and $18 for labor. I can eat the cost, but I am wondering if I should send the bill to the selling dealer or to Nissan, or maybe complain to the manager of the dealership that did the repair. I checked the warranty manual, and nowhere does it say warranty repairs have to be done at the selling dealer. Not sure why this service advisor would have wanted to handle this little issue in this way.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:57 PM

I'm at 2,600 miles on my 2010, so yesterday I decide to try to find the oil filter so that maybe I can change the oil this weekend. Lying on the ground, I find the filter, but I also discover that the plastic splash shield between the wheel and the engine is not correctly installed. There are no fasteners on at least four splash shield mounting points and the thing is flopping around, held in place by one upper fastener and the strap thing at the bottom. Looks like the installer ran out of fasteners or just forgot to put them in at the factory!

Well my dealer is 45 miles away from my home -- I bought the car downtown near my office. So, since it is Saturday, I decide to bring it to a different dealer that is closer -- just 20 miles from my home.

After I dropped off the car, the service advisor called me and said: "This needs to be done by the dealer who sold you the car. Missing pieces are not covered by the warranty. The selling dealer is responsible for inspecting and preparing the car for sale and it is theirs to deal with. I'm not sure I even have the parts."

I chose not to argue with him and told him I wanted him to do the work anyway, since I knew it would be a cheap fix and paying the bill would be alot easier for me than retrieving the car from him and taking it to the selling dealer.

So I picked up the car and paid the bill: $8 for parts and $18 for labor. I can eat the cost, but I am wondering if I should send the bill to the selling dealer or to Nissan, or maybe complain to the manager of the dealership that did the repair. I checked the warranty manual, and nowhere does it say warranty repairs have to be done at the selling dealer. Not sure why this service advisor would have wanted to handle this little issue in this way.
I would def follow up on this to atleast find out who is telling the truth. With it being such a small cost, IMO the dealer you went to should have eaten the cost just to earn your buisness (if what they told you was even true about the warranty).
Old 03-27-2010, 05:13 PM

I would agree with Flip2cho. Saying "I'm not sure I even have the parts" and then able to come up with the parts when you agreed to pay for it is suspicious to me.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

factory oil filter

The oil filter I took off (original from the factory) was 15208-65F0D. But the replacement they sell at the dealer ends with "C," not "D." Is the D just for factory stock?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 AM

The oil filter I took off (original from the factory) was 15208-65F0D. But the replacement they sell at the dealer ends with "C," not "D." Is the D just for factory stock?
It is my understanding that any 15208-65F0? is the same thing. The letter at the end represents the location where the filter was manufactured and/or assembled.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
If I don't put my '09 Maxima driver's belt on, I get five soft 'dings'. They are clearly audible. If I buckle my belt before the five 'dings' are finished, the 'dings' immediately stop.

If I am not mistaken, this audible alert is a federal requirement, and would automatically be warranty-covered as a safety issue.
Thanks for your help. Just to clarify a bit, the 'ding' noise is not consistent correct? For example, i do not buckle my seatbelt and continue to drive, it will only 'ding' 5 times and stop?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by strife185
Thanks for your help. Just to clarify a bit, the 'ding' noise is not consistent correct? For example, i do not buckle my seatbelt and continue to drive, it will only 'ding' 5 times and stop?

Yes. The alarm stops after 5 dings, then will not be heard again until the next time you turn the ignition on again (next trip). Each time you turn the ignition on, you will get the 5 dings again. they are not nearly as loud and annoying in the 7th gen Maxima as I have heard in some cars.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Quality check, LOL: I currently drive an 07 altima, and will be switching cars in a month or two and have been eyeballing the new G sedan, TL, and now the Max. The max with similar options as the other two will cost me quiet a bit less to lease, and I really liked the interior when I sat in it briefly BUT, I havent test driven either one yet. Now everyone over at the alti forums including myself complains of the cheap plastic nissan uses, and all the unnecessary rattling that occurs due to it, does the new Max have any rattles? Please, don't be biased, I know this is a max forum and everyone loves their car but be real I will give it a run in the upcoming month for myself, to see if I'm willing to deal with the stupid CVT for 3 more years to save some dough while I'm still in school. Thanks
Oh and does the *** sag still, like every other nissan lol ? I can't seem to tell when i see them on the streets, but I think yes?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile Answers to ur questions

Originally Posted by Ricko
Hi there!

Thanks in advance!
Ricko

Congrats on ur new Maxima Ricko... aren't they awesome!

Anyway I'm an Internet Manager at a Nissan dealer and consider myself a product expert, let me take a crack at your questions...

1) The voice guided tutorial can be annoying. It's good to use it at first to get to know the commands, but once ur comfortable u can easily "skip to beep". When using the steering wheel controls you can "skip to the beep" by pressing the voice command once to initialize and a second time to skip the command list tutorial and go straight to the beep for voice input.

Additionally you can open up many more useable commands with the Alternate Command Mode. I recommend you do speaker adaptation in this mode to get better results from your voice commands plus you'll also get a run down of all the available commands like (climate control off). To perform speaker adaptation, simply go to settings, other, Voice Recognition, (make sure alternate command mode is on), choose speaker adaptation, choose user, then start speaker adaptation.

2) factory preset for automatic headlights is for them to stay on for 45 seconds after exiting and turning off the vehicle. This feature is customizable through your settings menu. I can't recall the exact commands, but u should be able to find it. There's also a sensitivity setting for the auto headlights as well as many other customizable settings for your car's features.

3) No, the vehicle does not automatically lock. The intelligent key is very smart but does require some human interaction to limit accidental locks and unlocks. To lock the vehicle after exiting, you can either lock your door from the inside on the way out, lock the door by pressing the lock button on the i-Key remote, or used the simplified method of having the i-key on your person and simply pressing the button the driver or passenger door to lock. The car generally will beep twice and flash headlights twice for lock (once for unlocking commands). (this can vary depending on custom settings).

5) YES

Dan Hoffenberg
Internet Sales Manager
Regal Nissan of Roswell, GA
Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Hello everyone. I am new to your forum and should have introduced myself before posting. I am over 35 and very picky when it comes to my cars. I choose the Maxima after realizing that Hondah was not making anything worth paying for anymore. I was a diehard and still own one for work but for play we keep two SV's in the house. Yes TWO. One is Crimson Black SV premium and the other is Winter Frost SV Cold Package. They both have 35% tint all around and the Premium has the side view mirrors tinted. Other than that they will remain stock. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Does anybody know how or if it's possible to change the auto-off headlight timer from 45 seconds to something different? I have the S model and I don't see any options to change this...

Quick Reply: Help! I'm new here and have a question....