7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound quality for BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Sound quality for BOSE

Here's a question that I haven't seen much discussion on. The Maxima SV with premium and tech packages feature the BOSE system with 9.3 GB music box. While there's limited stereo control (base, treble, fader, etc.), what do most Maxima owners think of their sound system? Certainly, there's plenty of power and volume, but what about things like clarity, sound definition and reproducing music as it was recorded?

The BOSE 'Sound on Wheels' system for the G35/G37 is a reasonable comparison. I've heard both systems at different times, but not back-to-back. It sure seems like Infiniti has a clear advantage in this area, but some members of this forum may own both vehicles and have a better idea.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM

I haven't gotten my Max yet, but I definatley want to add to this question. When responding I'd like to know what method of input they are using, because I think that will make a very large impact.

Eg: mp3 @ 320KCBR, mp3@ 128VBR, CD (Pressed, CDR Audio, CDR Data), Radio (FM AM), Sat Radio...

So many different variables ... but like I said ... would be nice to see where the comparison is coming from
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM

I have mostly use my iPod with virtually all tracks at least 192 (i never use less) and they sound excellent! I love the sound in the car. I would not call myself and audiophile, but I am very picky about sound systems. I have not really heard anything else - except the factory system in my wife's IS250. Both sound great but the Bose in the Maxima hits pretty hard with excellent clarity.

I believe there is another thread somewhere on the 7th gen that discusses the sound system.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:44 AM

You probably mean this one:

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...se-system.html

While some of the comments were OT, this thread (like many) got sidetracked. With more Maximas having been sold since that discussion, I'm hoping more people (with different musical tastes) can comment.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Yea...i noticed that too. I listen to pretty much everything...rock, rap, pop, talk radio and have been very pleased with the sound. I did notice that some XM stations are a little lower quality than others - but that's due to their broadcast, not the Bose.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good topic,In my opinion the sound of the system is to top heavy,there is way to much use of the center speaker and the imaging in the cabin is greatly affected by the front heavy presence.My 04 max had much better control over the sound definition.

Overall the sound is good,but it lacks the punch that otherwise would be there if there was better control over the rears.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Topend
Good topic,In my opinion the sound of the system is to top heavy,there is way to much use of the center speaker and the imaging in the cabin is greatly affected by the front heavy presence.My 04 max had much better control over the sound definition.

Overall the sound is good,but it lacks the punch that otherwise would be there if there was better control over the rears.
This is exactly correct and a major oversight by Nissan.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Both the Maxima and G35/37 have systems set up for a distinct front soundstage. Has anyone replaced their front door speakers (or tweeters or center speaker) with aftermarket components? Any problems with the amperage or signal strength from the headunit?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Yea, I've never been a fan of the center speaker. My brother had one in his eclipse and i just really never got used to it. I like it for talk radio, but not for music. music should be all around and i shouldn't be able to pin-point the vocals. but i think the max sounds good overall.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 PM

I highly recommend for anyone who thinks the center speaker is overpowering to play with the fade a bit. I messed around with bass and treble and couldn't get exactly what I wanted out of it until I messed with fade. Since then I have been extremely happy with the sound system. I was still happy with it before, but now it's putting out sound exactly how I wanted it, and it sounds amazing.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Xeross
I highly recommend for anyone who thinks the center speaker is overpowering to play with the fade a bit. I messed around with bass and treble and couldn't get exactly what I wanted out of it until I messed with fade. Since then I have been extremely happy with the sound system. I was still happy with it before, but now it's putting out sound exactly how I wanted it, and it sounds amazing.

Good approach.

dkmura is correct that Nissan's factory setup gives more volume to the front speakers (dkmura called it 'front soundstage'). I noticed this the first time I threw in a CD. So later, I had my wife drive so I could safely operate all the audio controls. After playing with the FADE for awhile, I had the balanced 'quadrophonic' sound I was looking for.

I greatly enjoy this Bose. Except when I have the double-panel roof open and am rolling along at any speed over 40 MPH. In that situation, nothing but rushing air is audible.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:56 PM

The only problem I have with the BOSE is that I've become too "old" to actually turn it up much...its usual just loud enough to be clear and strong.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:09 PM

I agree about the Satellite radio not sounding as good as the ipod and Music Box. However, I'm not sure it really is XM's fault. My previous car , a Honda, had great sound from XM. Could it be something to do with the central forward balance of the system?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Those BOSE audios aren't really good (bass wise).
Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by a33i30
Those BOSE audios aren't really good (bass wise).
Uhh seriously? The bass is perfect for someone looking for true bass, and not wanting to rattle the whole car. Nothing makes me laugh more than a car that rattles down the road.

Though I guess if you are someone that requires two 14" woofers, and two 1k watt amplifiers, this system wont be powerful enough for you.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Uhh seriously? The bass is perfect for someone looking for true bass, and not wanting to rattle the whole car. Nothing makes me laugh more than a car that rattles down the road.

Though I guess if you are someone that requires two 14" woofers, and two 1k watt amplifiers, this system wont be powerful enough for you.

Soon after I bought my '09, I accidentally turned the audio volume up when I meant to turn the HVAC fan up and almost burst my eardrums (DID upset my wife) with the reverberation of my Bose bass. I certainly would not want more volume than this thing has.

The local county mounties where I live absolutely LOVE those car-rattling base woofers; helps them meet their ticket quotas without having to give a breathalizer test or go thru a chase or shootout.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 AM

I agree, its geared more to the front. Will try and adjust the fade a little.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 AM

The bose is a solid system.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 AM

Let's just say, it's louder than my former M35x when it comes to playing 2-channel stereo music. However, when I had 5.1 music playing, look out. That was truly a studio on wheels.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Have you guys heard the Logic 7 audio in the 3 series?? Bose feels real bad after that maybe thats why, but I am still using the stock bose:/
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM

I just set my fade to number 3, it sounds better!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 PM

The first thing I did when I got my car was remove all the speakers and install my own system. I am an audiophile though. I got the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 sound processor so I could keep all the factory controls, but still install my amps. The factory Bose system just didn't cut it for me.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by vktran226
The first thing I did when I got my car was remove all the speakers and install my own system. I am an audiophile though. I got the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 sound processor so I could keep all the factory controls, but still install my amps. The factory Bose system just didn't cut it for me.
Nice system. Did you do the installation yourself? More importantly, are you satisfied with the results?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Define true bass. I have always disliked Bose systems (both car and home) as the bass always sounds muddy. I am looking for clarity, and the previous Nissan Bose never had that. Is this one any different? Just because you have 2 14" (I think you meant to say 12") subwoofers does not mean you want your car to rattle. I listen to a lot of rock music and like to hear the low end and the strings on the guitars (which is also the mids), so a proper set of speakers (tweeter, mid, sub) sounds great!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 PM

So I'm comparing the Bose system (RSN-E Navigation head unit) in my Audi RS6 and the '09 Maxima I just bought and the Max is slightly better.

I feel like they should have added a mid-range adjustment since the bass is too "boomy" and "muddy". The mid-adjustment would have allowed some of this to be taken out.

iPod with the EQ set to "Rock" with the factory head unit's bass at 1 below center and the treble at 2 above center sounds good.

FM sounds bad.

AM, hahaha

XM sounds like it's coming through a pillow or something.

CD is really good and is the best but the least flexible so I'm not ever going to use it. That leaves XM, iPod and CF for true comparisons.

CF is one step below iPod but better than XM. It's sort of a flat sound but with some adjustments it can be made acceptable. Just don't switch back to iPod or you will never use the CF for music again!

iPod wins for the best sound adjustments since you can also play with the EQ on the iPod itself. I'm using a 4th Gen 16GB Nano. Some songs the bass hits too hard and some songs the system is too bright. I'm still working on some other iPod adjustments to find the right mix. I just ordered the Ridax 4th Gen iPod charger converter so I will leave my 16Gb iPod in the center console full-time. I won't have to worry about changing the settings since I'm not taking the iPod with me and listening through headphones or one of the other accessories scattered around the house.

CF is a close second. I'm using a 32GB CF as a backup for music but mostly filled with audio books since I travel a bunch all around the Southeast via car so I can stop playback at the exact point in time I want on the book then listen to music on XM or iPod and come back to it on my next trip.

One other oversite that Nissan made is that you can't set independent adjustments for each Source like on my Audi and many other aftermarket head units. That is very annoying. Since XM sounds worse than iPod, I have to play with the adjustments every time I make the switch to XM and lower the bass while raising the treble. Not a good design but good enough considering all the technology they packed into the car.

Last edited by CopperSMD; 03-21-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 PM

I truly love the system and all of the control options that I have with my IPHONE 3G! I have always been a car stereo buff and have always added a subwoofer option to all of my vehicles. So when I added just one JL Audio 12W7 I could not complain at all. With the bass being provided by the sub I was able to turn down the bass in the car system and play with the fade and trebile to get a very clean and crisp all around sounding system in my MAX.

I know not all Maxima owners will go with an extra sub option because they don't need that much bass, but those who do won't be dissapointed. I also Dynamatted the entire trunk and back seat area and rear deck to get rid of those nasty rattles!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks Copper and Choice, that was exactly what I was looking for! Truly appreciated!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by choice89
I know not all Maxima owners will go with an extra sub option because they don't need that much bass, but those who do won't be dissapointed. I also Dynamatted the entire trunk and back seat area and rear deck to get rid of those nasty rattles!!!
Wow you had rattles? How is that? Even with turning up the bose system to where my ears felt like they were going to bleed I couldn't get a rattle.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 AM

^ He said he has an after-market sub in his car.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by a33i30
^ He said he has an after-market sub in his car.
I understand that, but it still surprises me that he can get rattles with that. The car is quite sturdy and even with the bose system set to a volume so loud that it would cause deafness there were no rattles. That's why I was surprised he was getting rattles with an aftermarket sub.

And yes I understand that our eardrums can handle louder bass more than they can treble, so he could probably turn that up louder than I had the bose system at.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Wow you had rattles? How is that? Even with turning up the bose system to where my ears felt like they were going to bleed I couldn't get a rattle.

I don't think you understand the power output one single JL Audio 12W7 really has!!! It is a competition high end....VERY HIGH END Subwoofer that moves massive amounts of air. I only have a JL Audio 500/1 powering the sub which is sufficient enough. But the sub is actually rated to handle a JL Audio 1000/1 amp with ease!

SO when I crank up my bass **** that controls the sub directly to half way I was getting rattles, don't even ask what it does almost all the way cranked up!!!! So it was only the smart way to Dynomat the rear of the vehicle and guess what...? No more rattles and a crisp clean sound with heart stopping Bass....when I crank it up that is!

Last edited by choice89; 03-22-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 AM

Choice89- did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard was it to connect the amp to the back of the OEM headunit?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM

As an older avid Audiophile( I own Krell equipment) the bose system in the Max is decent with good bass. The Bose in the older Audi 7 is the best I have heard in a car,stock. Its bass is pants fluttering. In my opinion, the amount off current that is put out by the amp is more of a determining factor for sound then speakers.(Notice I did not say watts) The xm in the Max is a module that outputs its signal to the amp. The sound quality is determined by the module and not the Bose system.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know how much power this system has? 200, 300, 400 watts?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Choice89- did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard was it to connect the amp to the back of the OEM headunit?

Yes I did the install. I did not hook the amp to the back of the stereo I ran a line converter from the back speakers directly to the amp. The only wire that I had to run from the front was the main power line off the battery. It was pretty easy and very clean all around!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by choice89
Yes I did the install. I did not hook the amp to the back of the stereo I ran a line converter from the back speakers directly to the amp. The only wire that I had to run from the front was the main power line off the battery. It was pretty easy and very clean all around!!!
Thanks for the details!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[quote=CopperSMD;6940356]

iPod wins for the best sound adjustments since you can also play with the EQ on the iPod itself. I'm using a 4th Gen 16GB Nano. Some songs the bass hits too hard and some songs the system is too bright. I'm still working on some other iPod adjustments to find the right mix. I just ordered the Ridax 4th Gen iPod charger converter so I will leave my 16Gb iPod in the center console full-time. I won't have to worry about changing the settings since I'm not taking the iPod with me and listening through headphones or one of the other accessories scattered around the house.
quote]

I'm pretty certain that the ipod connector that comes with the car charges the ipod. I have been using it for a couple of days and when I hook up my ipod when its halfway down with battery, and after I am done my drive, it goes up to full battery. Anyone else get their ipod charged from the cable provided?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Adam P
I'm pretty certain that the ipod connector that comes with the car charges the ipod. I have been using it for a couple of days and when I hook up my ipod when its halfway down with battery, and after I am done my drive, it goes up to full battery. Anyone else get their ipod charged from the cable provided?
It depends on what generation. The newest generation, to include iPod touch and the iPhone 3g will not charge with the current cable and require a converter.

Older generations, however, charge just fine with the stock cable.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:36 PM

Sorry for the delay in response, I just got back from snowboarding in CO. The sound from the system is great. The best thing about the sound processor is the ability to adjust the EQ for each and every speaker separately. I had to Dynomat the rear trunk, front doors, and rear deck to remove the rattles. Hey Choice, to help releive some rattles from the back deck, I removed the 2 factory subs back there to alleviate some pressure. Worked wonders for me to get rid of rattles inside the car. The bass will sound so much cleaner once that is done.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose sound in 2009

I'm probably in the minority here, but I am disappointed in the Bose system in my 2009. I moved to the Maxima from a 2005 Cadillac STS and the Cadillac product is hands-down a better system. More clarity, vibrancy, presence . . . all the attributes that Bose wants to be known for.

My biggest complaint is that there is no mid/high in the rear deck, only bass. The other two rear speakers are at ankle level. This puts all the music directly in front of the driver instead of AROUND the driver. And nothing for rear passengers unless you are passed out on the floorboards.

It seems clear to me that it is a Nissan product and they have licensed the Bose name in order to inflluence buyers. It worked for me, but unfortunately the sound system doesn't.

Quick Reply: Sound quality for BOSE