7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Nissan have included a stock Tranny Cooler??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Should Nissan have included a stock Tranny Cooler??

I've been reading a lot lately about issues with our CVT and even a few things regarding the new Synchromesh Tranny in the Z as well and from what I can tell we (Max & Z) seem to have a related issue in keeping the temperatures down in our transmissions.

It appears that the Synchromesh in the Z needs to cool down as much as the CVT in the Max does after a few hard runs (no more than 4 for 4 miles or very fast 1/4 mile runs).

IMO, this is a major issue because we all know what type of damage that Heat does to oils (viscosity breakdowns very fast) and to internal parts with friction due to that viscosity breakdown.

So my question(s) to you all is/are:

Should Nissan have made a stock CVT and stock Synchromesh Tranny Cooler for our cars?? Do you believe that the 2010 will come with one stock? If and when Nissan does make one, should they make it as a TSP/retrofit for our cars and/or give us a discount or add it for free? (OF COURSE WE ALL WANT IT FREE)!!

If not Nissan, then should STILLEN or one of the other aftermarket manufacturers make one for our cars?

Josh, are you listening buddy??? LOL!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM

I have never looked but thought the CVT had a cooler, maybe not a big enough one? Frankly, I don't know but if there is none, there should be!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:35 PM

they should also include a launch control
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM

The CVT case has cooling fins on the bottom to make more surface area to assist with cooling, but i have yet to see a Tranny cooler, It may be difficult to do with the CVT fluid, from what i have heard ( only heard, not seen for myself) the fluid goes from a gel to a liquid upon heating up, this would cause a problem with a cooler. i personally have ran the Maxima at speeds between 75 - 80 to 110 - 120 MPH on a closed runway for about 5 minutes and had no issue with the CVT.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 PM

I don't believe high speed is a problem with this '09 CVT. The only instances I have read where safety checks on the CVT came into play were situations like repeated maximum acelleration runs or continued bursts of braking and maximum acelleration (such as driving a long twisty mountain road as fast as possible).

For all normal driving, this CVT has the cooling capacity it needs. For those into extreme driving or track driving with this family sedan, it may be that Stillen could come up with a larger cooler. This will not be done by Nissan, as the '09 Maxima is a 3600 pound CVT-driven near-luxury flagship, not designed or intended for track use or extended extreme performance driving.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I don't believe high speed is a problem with this '09 CVT. The only instances I have read where safety checks on the CVT came into play were situations like repeated maximum acelleration runs or continued bursts of braking and maximum acelleration (such as driving a long twisty mountain road as fast as possible).

For all normal driving, this CVT has the cooling capacity it needs. For those into extreme driving or track driving with this family sedan, it may be that Stillen could come up with a larger cooler. This will not be done by Nissan, as the '09 Maxima is a 3600 pound CVT-driven near-luxury flagship, not designed or intended for track use or extended extreme performance driving.
While I'm in total agreement with you regarding the use of the CVT I still somehow feel that over time that our CVTs will be affected by the output of high heat/heak soak and that eventually this will lead to problems.

Nissan isn't well known for building great auto transmissions and while I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with their CVTs, anyone who does think about racing this car is going to be in for a rude awakening if they aren't aware of the need for cooling in between runs and the problems with heat within the CVT.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max

So my question(s) to you all is/are:

Should Nissan have made a stock CVT and stock Synchromesh Tranny Cooler for our cars?? Do you believe that the 2010 will come with one stock? If and when Nissan does make one, should they make it as a TSP/retrofit for our cars and/or give us a discount or add it for free? (OF COURSE WE ALL WANT IT FREE)!!

If not Nissan, then should STILLEN or one of the other aftermarket manufacturers make one for our cars?

Josh, are you listening buddy??? LOL!
Considering that Nissan has been putting the CVT in the Murano since 2003, with apparently few reliability issues:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/re...n&model=Murano

I doubt we'll be seeing the addition of a cooler anytime soon.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Willing to learn

A35 Maximas destined for the Middle Eastern market do have a factory installed trans cooler. Vehicles apparently operate in a much hotter environment over there. Not sure if the US market can even get one as an option. Doubt the dealer would even know anything about it. I realize it's a tease, but that's about all I know of it.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM

The US version of the 2009 Nissan Maxima Factory Service Manual has a procedure for cleaning the CVT Transmission Fluid Cooler.
This would indicate to me that there is a transmission fluid cooler cooler in the 09 Maxima.
The cooler is located in the radiator core.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 PM

So say if you took the CVT cross country and back home, technically you shouldn't have tranny failure correct?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by DConrad2007
So say if you took the CVT cross country and back home, technically you shouldn't have tranny failure correct?

Correct. This car will cruise to Alaska and back time after time with no problem. It is only under extended extreme situations such as repeated WOT acceleration runs or going all out on a long, curvey mountain road that the CVT might need a minute or two to cool off, then it is ready to go again.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 AM

From what I remember reading about this CVT transmission .. there are 3 different cooling properties to it. I'm just wishing I could find the article.

What I remember there was a Fuild Cooler (already mentioned), there is air ducting on the bell housing (is that the right word?) and there was something else. If I come across it again I'll post it.

There is no way that a CVT can operate without extra cooling bits, they just run way too hot!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How does the CVT work compared to other automatics? Does it have similar gears and clutches, a belt with variable sized pulleys, or what?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:42 PM

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

or more informatively:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cvt3.htm
Old 03-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lirathal

THANK YOU !!!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:41 PM

gel? the cvt fluid pours like any tx fluid.. if you want an external cooler get one from a titan, or xterra it has a thermostat internal on one section,, also nissan has one for mid eastern countrys
Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
I've been reading a lot lately about issues with our CVT
Can you provide the links to all of this reading material as I'm interested in what they are saying also?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by johnmsp
they should also include a launch control

that's the missing link ... could take .5 sec off 0 - 60 times
hell the 5 - 60 roll time is better than a G37's.. 6 vs. 6.3
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nightshifter
that's the missing link ... could take .5 sec off 0 - 60 times
hell the 5 - 60 roll time is better than a G37's.. 6 vs. 6.3
Lol, launch control would void so many warranties just for .5 of a second from 0-60. Not worth it.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
Lol, launch control would void so many warranties just for .5 of a second from 0-60. Not worth it.
Launch Control comes from the factory it's not a mod so no warranty issues.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Launch Control comes from the factory it's not a mod so no warranty issues.
Ah, but that is the catch. The launch control itself isn't what voids it, it's the misuse of it that voids the warranties.

Last edited by Mreim769; 05-25-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
Ah, but that is the catch. The launch control itself isn't what voids it, it's the use of it that voids the warranties.
That wouldn't fly with today's laws and warranties. Gosh you use it for what it was intended and they don't cover it? I better not even drive my Max anymore.... LOL
Old 05-25-2009, 01:52 PM

That wouldn't fly with today's laws and warranties. Gosh you use it for what it was intended and they don't cover it? I better not even drive my Max anymore.... LOL
I meant misuse of the launch control.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Interesting article I just read on a road test

Follow-Up Test: 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV

Feel the Burn

"After the Maxima Sport's fifth run through our slalom testing, the transmission decided it couldn't take the heat and defaulted into fail safe mode. The car assumed command of the manual shift gate and refused to serve up revs higher than 4,100 rpm.

All functions returned to normal once the Max had a time out and things cooled off. Given a cool transmission and a few more attempts, it's possible that the Sport's slalom speed might have edged closer to the Premium's result."

And it looks like the Nismo 370Z has some serious overheating problems at the track...

Nismo 370Z Differential Failure
Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 PM

Interesting article I just read on a road test

Follow-Up Test: 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV

Feel the Burn

"After the Maxima Sport's fifth run through our slalom testing, the transmission decided it couldn't take the heat and defaulted into fail safe mode. The car assumed command of the manual shift gate and refused to serve up revs higher than 4,100 rpm.

All functions returned to normal once the Max had a time out and things cooled off. Given a cool transmission and a few more attempts, it's possible that the Sport's slalom speed might have edged closer to the Premium's result."

This article was posted here and discussed last summer, and there was sort of a semi-concensus (far from unanimous) that Nissan probably made a good decision to leave the tranny cooler off and reduce the MSRP price by a hundred or two, as long as they protected the tranny by having a 'time-out' feature to save it from would-be Mario Andrettis.

It would be nice if NISMO had a 'track package' available for the '09 Maxima which included an add-on CVT oil cooler and add-on engine oil cooler, among other things. That way, the 1 or 2 percent of Maxima buyers that are indeed Mario Andretti wanna-bes could have their fun at the track.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
This article was posted here and discussed last summer, and there was sort of a semi-concensus (far from unanimous) that Nissan probably made a good decision to leave the tranny cooler off and reduce the MSRP price by a hundred or two, as long as they protected the tranny by having a 'time-out' feature to save it from would-be Mario Andrettis.

It would be nice if NISMO had a 'track package' available for the '09 Maxima which included an add-on CVT oil cooler and add-on engine oil cooler, among other things. That way, the 1 or 2 percent of Maxima buyers that are indeed Mario Andretti wanna-bes could have their fun at the track.

You're right Light (hey that rhymes)!! Which is exactly why I posed the question, knowing that the CVT does get that hot and that the RPMs don't exceed 4100 then just imagine yourself in this scenario:

You're traveling through the mountainous areas of Alaska & Canada (or wherever you are that has serious mountains) and you've been opening up your Max because you have room to let er breath with little to no chance of seeing a Cop (or Po-Po as they say today);

Now it's time to blast back up that hill again and you have a big 18 Wheeler coming behind you quickly with no room on the left or right to move out of the way but ala "your baby won't go over 4100RPM" ooops, I guess you're assed out like a fat lady in a thong.

The CVT Oil Cooler needs to be an option at the very least and it needs to be the most effecient part (or one of the most) efficient parts on the car because IMO it is a safety hazard on the road if you have to be relegated to no more than 4100RPM.

Think if you're in an emergency situation and you need high acceleration and fast but you can't do it because you just finished playing Mario Andretti and your CVT needs a break>>>>>you're screwed.