7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside Temperature!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 AM

Outside Temperature!

My 09 max has recent problem. outside temperature shown on panel

is off by far. i live in canada, so we use C rather than F. and it suppose to

be minus these days (since, it's snowing all the time). then it rises up to

about 45 degree celcius. that is impossible. what should i do about this
Old 01-13-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Steve31Jo

It sounds like the display is configured for degrees Fahrenheit. There has got to be a way to change it.

BTW, 45 °F is about 8 °C.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

take it back to the dealer...if it's actually reading the wrong temps
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
take it back to the dealer...if it's actually reading the wrong temps
+1 what he said!! & demand it be fixxed free
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by CT Maxima
It sounds like the display is configured for degrees Fahrenheit. There has got to be a way to change it.

BTW, 45 °F is about 8 °C.
I tend to agree more with you...I think its jsut a matter of changing the display format. Its probably a simple fix, but Im not sure how to do it.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 AM

OK I found it:

Press the "o" button that is to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.
Keep Hitting the "o" until "Display" is Highlighted.
Once Display is selected press the Square button right next to the "o" button.
Press the "o" button until "Unit" is highlighted.
Hit the square button to select Unit.
Once within the Unit section, you can select "Metric" which will give you Celsius and Km readings.
This will be saved when you exit. or change the mode.

Hope this helps. BTW its in the owners Manual page 2-20
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

RTFM
Old 01-16-2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by JHOVAMAX
OK I found it:

Press the "o" button that is to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.
Keep Hitting the "o" until "Display" is Highlighted.
Once Display is selected press the Square button right next to the "o" button.
Press the "o" button until "Unit" is highlighted.
Hit the square button to select Unit.
Once within the Unit section, you can select "Metric" which will give you Celsius and Km readings.
This will be saved when you exit. or change the mode.

Hope this helps. BTW its in the owners Manual page 2-20
thank you
Old 04-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy

Does anyone with an 09 Maxima REALLY have an outside temp/thermostat problem? I do, and I'm not just reading C instead of F. It's 95+ F here today, and I've been driving my Maxima around town all afternoon. When I started the car (~11:30 a.m.), the outside temp read the temp from the night before (when I turned off the car - 70 F). That was fine and normal. But after driving around town for THREE HOURS in scorching heat (95+ F), the dash readout never got past 82...and the kicker?...it took almost the entire three hours of driving around town to even reach the 82 temp. After about 1.5 hours of having the car actually on, the temp still read mid-70s when it was obviously in the 90s outside.

I know most cars outside thermostats take a bit of time to adjust to the outside temp (my 01 VW takes about 10-15 minutes, and that's understandable/acceptable). But three hours AND not even getting close to the real outside temp is unacceptable (and broken).

Time to take the car into the dealership, again. If anyone has insight, I'd much appreciate any info.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 PM

When I went from my insulated garage out into cold or hot temps in my my '00 SE, it took the temperature guage around 5 or 6 minutes to reach the outside temperature. Wth my '04 SL, it took around 7 or 8 minutes. Being a totally **** temperature freak, I immediately noticed it takes my '09 around 9 or 10 minutes to completely adjust. If the variation in temp between my garage and outside varies greatly (say 60 degrees in the garage and 30 outside), it can take between 12 and 14 minutes to 'catch up'.

I consider this to be a tad slow, but it is vastly better than Mihomax's situation. I suspect Mihomax may have some sort of problem with his temp sensor.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Love my '09

95+ where u live? Arizona? Mine has been pretty accurate within 3 +/- of the average outside temp.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 PM

It wasn't the matter of C to F conversion thing. I think 09 Max has some problems with outside temp. gauge. I went back to Dealer and then they ordered a new termometer(?), it only took about a week, so it's been fixed now. of course for free of charge. Now, it has no problem at all, it's pretty accurate +/- 1 degree. so if you have same problem, call ur dealership rightaway and book an appointment.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Being a totally **** temperature freak,
Old 04-23-2009, 01:53 AM

Smile

congrats, made in china; usually only my twisted brother catches my puns.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I live in Northern California, but we had a few days last week that were really hot (broke heat records). Thanks for the info...looks like I have a faulty thermometer. Time to go bring my '09 Max back to the dealer...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 AM

I also have a faulty thermometer. Its off by 10 degrees. How long does it take to fix?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM

In my case, first they needed to take a look at it, then they had to order a part.

once part arrives, they call u to let u know part has been arrived. actual time of fix

seems like it took only about 30min. ordering a part took about 2-3days.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima2009
I also have a faulty thermometer. Its off by 10 degrees. How long does it take to fix?

I have the same problem. Off by about 8 degrees.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 PM

In my case, first they needed to take a look at it, then they had to order a part.

once part arrives, they call u to let u know part has been arrived. actual time of fix

seems like it took only about 30min. ordering a part took about 2-3days.

Thanks steve. Great info.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:17 AM

Looks like I have this problem too. Does anybody have a part number listed from their service invoice for the sensor?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:19 PM

Here is a photo of mine being off. When I took this pic it was 74F outside. I have shown this temp for 2 days now.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:38 PM

Did you notify Al Gore about this ?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:30 AM

I have an appointment with my "stealership" today about this problem. I will let everyone know how it goes. The temp was stuck at 58 for two days where driving temps where in the mid 70's. Now it seems to be working somewhat normally, even though it takes a good 10 minutes to get to the proper temp.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
I have an appointment with my "stealership" today about this problem. I will let everyone know how it goes. The temp was stuck at 58 for two days where driving temps where in the mid 70's. Now it seems to be working somewhat normally, even though it takes a good 10 minutes to get to the proper temp.

I am noticing that my outside thermometer seems to gradually be getting slower in responding to temperature changes. I take it out of my 75 degree insulated garage into a 94 degree sunny summer day, and this thermometer takes ten minutes (seven miles) to go from 75 to 89, and has trouble getting over 90.

But, on an otherwise glitch-free vehicle, I hate to have a service tech playing with wires and sensors unless absolutely necessary. I trust my current service techs, but still remember the problems techs created on my vehicles during the 1950s thru 1970s. In those days, I knew very little about intricate vehicle diagnostics, but, unfortunately, my dealer techs knew even less. They typically would replace a series of parts over a period of time until they finally happened to replace the defective part, fixing the problem.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 PM

Mine takes a while too but its not too big of a deal for me. I just use it as a estimation of what the temp is outside. When it gets super chilly here (hopefully not any time soon) is when it might be a big deal. But as light said I would rather the service techs not fiddle around with the sensors and such for a small issue.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Just got back, they have ordered a new sensor for mine, even though it was working when I got there. I will again, let everyone knows what happens after it gets replaced.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Mine seems to work ok! Will keep an eye on it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 PM

My wife and son and I were making the 7 mile drive to town Tuesday afternoon. I had driven the car a few hours earlier, then parked in the shade, the dash temp read 86. We knew that was not right, as both our outside home thermometers (in the shade) read 93. And our son had just arrived at our home in his TL 15 minutes earlier, and his TL was reading 93 also.

About six miles into the drive, my son looked at the dash and noticed it was still reading 86.
About that time, we entered a shady area, and my son was still looking at the dash, and noticed that the guage went up to 87. Just as he was telling me about it, the guage went to 88. We were marveling that it jumped two degrees in 15 seconds while we were going through a shady area, but then it went to 89.

So after not moving for six miles, the guage jumps three degrees in less than 30 seconds during what was probably the coolest part of our trip.

I give up.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:03 AM

My wife and son and I were making the 7 mile drive to town Tuesday afternoon. I had driven the car a few hours earlier, then parked in the shade, the dash temp read 86. We knew that was not right, as both our outside home thermometers (in the shade) read 93. And our son had just arrived at our home in his TL 15 minutes earlier, and his TL was reading 93 also.

About six miles into the drive, my son looked at the dash and noticed it was still reading 86.
About that time, we entered a shady area, and my son was still looking at the dash, and noticed that the guage went up to 87. Just as he was telling me about it, the guage went to 88. We were marveling that it jumped two degrees in 15 seconds while we were going through a shady area, but then it went to 89.

So after not moving for six miles, the guage jumps three degrees in less than 30 seconds during what was probably the coolest part of our trip.

I give up.
Yes I noticed things like that the last few days, that and the 2 days of 58F is what pushed me over the edge to bother the dealer with it.

By any chance did you have rain or wash the car a day or before you noticed those above issues. I have a theory that water is getting into the sensor.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 PM

By any chance did you have rain or wash the car a day or before you noticed those above issues. I have a theory that water is getting into the sensor.

Sorry. No rain for last week, and last wash was on beach trip a month ago. And no, I have not tried to ford any creeks with this car. I have been in a very busy stretch the past two months, and will be for another month. After that, if nobody here has found anything, I will go dump this on my dealer.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Got my temp sensor replaced today. It is still acting up, they chilled the sensor down below 60 degree and ran the car for 30 minutes and it never came up. They decided to order some other part to replace. They will be installing that on Friday.
....then as soon as I get on the interstate to head home, the temp starts coming up within about 5 degrees of outside temp after about 20 mins.

I wonder if there is some sort of "un-mentioned" computer logic going on here, that it is does not start changing until the car is over so many miles an hour for a specific length of time?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 AM

Got my temp sensor replaced today. It is still acting up, they chilled the sensor down below 60 degree and ran the car for 30 minutes and it never came up. They decided to order some other part to replace. They will be installing that on Friday.
....then as soon as I get on the interstate to head home, the temp starts coming up within about 5 degrees of outside temp after about 20 mins.

I wonder if there is some sort of "un-mentioned" computer logic going on here, that it is does not start changing until the car is over so many miles an hour for a specific length of time?

Today, we left our insulated garage with the inside garage temperature and Maxima temp guage both reading 78 degrees (complete agreement), while both of our outdoor thermometers (in the shade) were reading between 91 and 92.

Seven miles later, the Maxima guage finally moved from 78 to 79, and reached 89 by the time we stopped at our destination a few miles later.

In all my years of driving, I have never seen anything quite like this. I guess I can adjust, but it would be nice to have a guage that took less than ten minutes/seven miles to BEGIN adjusting to the correct temp.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 AM

i think your temp. has a problem.... bring it back to your dealer...
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Today, we left our insulated garage with the inside garage temperature and Maxima temp guage both reading 78 degrees (complete agreement), while both of our outdoor thermometers (in the shade) were reading between 91 and 92.

Seven miles later, the Maxima guage finally moved from 78 to 79, and reached 89 by the time we stopped at our destination a few miles later.

In all my years of driving, I have never seen anything quite like this. I guess I can adjust, but it would be nice to have a guage that took less than ten minutes/seven miles to BEGIN adjusting to the correct temp.
I have the same problem. It takes forever to get to the right temperature.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM

I am noticing that my outside thermometer seems to gradually be getting slower in responding to temperature changes. I take it out of my 75 degree insulated garage into a 94 degree sunny summer day, and this thermometer takes ten minutes (seven miles) to go from 75 to 89, and has trouble getting over 90.

But, on an otherwise glitch-free vehicle, I hate to have a service tech playing with wires and sensors unless absolutely necessary. I trust my current service techs, but still remember the problems techs created on my vehicles during the 1950s thru 1970s. In those days, I knew very little about intricate vehicle diagnostics, but, unfortunately, my dealer techs knew even less. They typically would replace a series of parts over a period of time until they finally happened to replace the defective part, fixing the problem.
There are still mechanics out there that operate like this, I call'm parts changers....lol
Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 PM

UPDATE: I got my speedo/gauge cluster replaced today for this problem.

According to my Service Writer in conveying what was said by a Nissan Tech Support person on the phone, they say that if a sensor has trouble, to replace the sensor, if the temp does not respond as expected or sluggishly; to replace the gauge cluster, because a defective sensor will cause something in the cluster to short-out causing this slow temp change response.

So today, When I got in my car at the dealership after the repair to leave, the sensor had "heat soaked" to about 89 on their blacktopped parking lot. Outside temps were around 80. By the time I had drove about a block down the road to get on the interstate on-ramp, the temp dropped to 80. This happened within 45 seconds. I got on the interstate and the temp. changed about every 30 seconds from the original temp of 80 to 78, 79, 81, 82, back and forth thru the entire 30 minute trip. So basically I was getting fast update times, that seemed to follow the normal variences in temps that you find in different road terrains.

Later in the day I was driving the car and encountered a brief "summer rainstorm" the temp dropped about 10 degrees in about 2 mins, after I got thru the 10 miles or so of rain soaked roads and back onto dried roads with sunny skies, the temp came up back to level off again within about 2 or 3 minutes.

So at this point, I am considering my issue solved.