7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

wiper blades

Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 AM

wiper blades

Hello everyone
Is it me or does the wiper blades suck!
does anyone know the sizes for our blades?
thanks
G
Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by G9Max
Hello everyone
thanks
G
I was just thinking the exact same thing. I would like to know what size they are too so I can get some proper reflex blades on there. The windshield washer fluid (aka bubbly water) that they put in there was pretty weak too.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Hello everyone
thanks
G
I thought that these wipers absolutly BLEW this winter. Every time I went out in the snow they would coat with ice and be completely useless. That little groove in between the actual blade and the rubber 'frame' would be impossible to get snow and ice out of. I think they work pretty good in the rain though.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM

nissan needs to work on those wipers!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 PM

I live in GA and my blades work fine
Old 05-19-2009, 03:14 PM

I heard they are quiet though right?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Hello everyone
thanks
G
Originally Posted by Mreim769
I was just thinking the exact same thing. I would like to know what size they are too so I can get some proper reflex blades on there. The windshield washer fluid (aka bubbly water) that they put in there was pretty weak too.
Originally Posted by ANNINO
I thought that these wipers absolutly BLEW this winter. Every time I went out in the snow they would coat with ice and be completely useless. That little groove in between the actual blade and the rubber 'frame' would be impossible to get snow and ice out of. I think they work pretty good in the rain though.
I agree with all of you. These wiper blades suck on the car. I keep on getting streaks on the window every time i use them and to be honest with you wiper blades are supposed to help you see when its raining; the factory blades blur the front window just as much as the rain does.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 PM

The driver side wiper is 27 1/2" long, and the passenger side is 17" long.

My wife and I have both commented that these are the quietest and best wipers we have seen. But then we live south of Atlanta, keep our vehicles in an insulated garage, don't follow close behind other vehicles, and only drive in the rain when necessary (being retired has many advantages).

I am sorry some folks out there in the real world are having less success with their '09 wipers; these things are very important for safe driving in bad weather. If someone finds blades that work great, please let us know; we'll all have to replace our blades at some point.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

My wife and I have both commented that these are the quietest and best wipers we have seen. But then we live south of Atlanta, keep our vehicles in an insulated garage, don't follow close behind other vehicles, and only drive in the rain when necessary (being retired has many advantages).

I am sorry some folks out there in the real world are having less success with their '09 wipers; these things are very important for safe driving in bad weather. If someone finds blades that work great, please let us know; we'll all have to replace our blades at some point.

Will do
Old 05-19-2009, 06:15 PM

would 28" be a good fit?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:33 PM

would 28" be a good fit?
28 might extend over to much. I would stay with 27 and if they make a 1/2 size up i would get those but i wouldn't go to 28
Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
28 might extend over to much. I would stay with 27 and if they make a 1/2 size up i would get those but i wouldn't go to 28
DANG! Thats how long they are now! My 4th gen max only accomodates 22"!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 PM

what company makes a good quality blade?
rain x doesnt make a 27 at least from what i saw
Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 AM

would 28" be a good fit?

Excellent question. G9Max.

I had measured these blades back in the winter, and wondered two things:

1 - Why would there be no mention of wiper blade size in any of the documentation that came with the '09 Maxima?

2 - Why would Nissan use a blade whose length includes a fraction of an inch?

I still can't answer the first question, but just went out and measured very carefully, and I think I CAN answer the second question. Measuring VERY carefully, I find the large (driver side) blade is exactly 27 3/4" long. We know blades would not be made in such a trivial size, so obviously this blade is a 'nominal' 28" in length.

I also measured from the center of the axis/hub on which the blade arm is mounted to the end of the wiper blade, then swung that length upward across the windshield. It does not extend quite as high as the top of the windshield.

When we think about it, going from 27 3/4" to 28" is only a quarter of an inch, and as the blade is centered on the arm, half that quarter inch extends in one direction (outward) and half in the other direction (inward), so the actual upward reach of the wiper blade is only increased by 1/8th inch.

In summary, after very careful measurement, THE NOMINAL SIZE OF THE WIPER BLADE ON THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE '09 MAXIMA IS ACTUALLY 28 INCHES.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 AM

I guess I am another with good luck as I havent had an issue with the blades even in the Winter. They are quiet and if there is streaking it hasnt been bad enough to distract me.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:09 AM

1 - Why would there be no mention of wiper blade size in any of the documentation that came with the '09 Maxima?

I still can't answer the first question, but just went out and measured very carefully, and I think I CAN answer the second question. Measuring VERY carefully, I find the large (driver side) blade is exactly 27 3/4" long. We know blades would not be made in such a trivial size, so obviously this blade is a 'nominal' 28" in length.

I also measured from the center of the axis/hub on which the blade arm is mounted to the end of the wiper blade, then swung that length upward across the windshield. It does not extend quite as high as the top of the windshield.

When we think about it, going from 27 3/4" to 28" is only a quarter of an inch, and as the blade is centered on the arm, half that quarter inch extends in one direction (outward) and half in the other direction (inward), so the actual upward reach of the wiper blade is only increased by 1/8th inch.

In summary, after very careful measurement, THE NOMINAL SIZE OF THE WIPER BLADE ON THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE '09 MAXIMA IS ACTUALLY 28 INCHES.

Great info! You just saved me a bunch of time. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 AM

My blades work great. One of the first things I did when I got my car, was give the front and rear window a Rain-X coating.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Awesome Info !!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Thanx for checking that out for us and letting us know. Did you measure the passenger side blade by any chance?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Thanx for checking that out for us and letting us know. Did you measure the passenger side blade by any chance?

Passenger side wiper blade is exactly 17". I had measured that last winter, but just rechecked to be absolutely sure.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:10 AM

just purchased the rain x latitude wipers will post the results when they arrive fr amazon
Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 PM

The Bosch ICONs look quite a bit like the OEM blades (although they do not have the offset the OEM has) and perform well. I tried to use the Bosch Excel+ but the 28" drivers side blade will NOT mount correctly (or at least there is no supplied adapter...I checked a few other packages and they too don't have adapters.) The 17" however worked fine. Looked weird, but worked.

The ICONs on the other hand, click on right out of the box (I just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago.) And both the 17 and 28s fit well. Just be sure you get the 417A and 428A models (as opposed to the 'b' models.)

Lt
Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
The Bosch ICONs look quite a bit like the OEM blades (although they do not have the offset the OEM has) and perform well. I tried to use the Bosch Excel+ but the 28" drivers side blade will NOT mount correctly (or at least there is no supplied adapter...I checked a few other packages and they too don't have adapters.) The 17" however worked fine. Looked weird, but worked.

The ICONs on the other hand, click on right out of the box (I just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago.) And both the 17 and 28s fit well. Just be sure you get the 417A and 428A models (as opposed to the 'b' models.)

Lt
Interesting info, I will be sure to keep an eye out. Thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 06:53 PM

I use the bosch ICONs on my 02 and they are by far the best wipers I've ever owned, even in the winter when I run out of wiper fluid they will clean the salty dried road spray off the window in a few swipes.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 PM

I have installed the Rain X Latitude wipers and it rained here in NJ, the wipers are far more superior than stock. They are quiet and get every drop off, just hope they last long.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM

They're the weirdest wipers I've ever had.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 AM

I have installed the Rain X Latitude wipers and it rained here in NJ, the wipers are far more superior than stock. They are quiet and get every drop off, just hope they last long.
Awesome man, good to know. Thanks for the quick review
Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
Awesome man, good to know. Thanks for the quick review
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 AM

Bump for Fall approaching.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM

I've had my 09 Max for a little over 3 months. I agree...the stock wipers suck. I'm going to try the Rain X Latitude wipers.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:45 AM

actually the rain x wipers are not all that, now that i had it for a few months can really give my true review
Old 09-16-2009, 02:01 AM

actually the rain x wipers are not all that, now that i had it for a few months can really give my true review

In view of this informative post, it seems the 'field' has been narrowed to ONLY ONE wiper blade for the '09 that has had nothing but good reviews from more than one poster:

BOSCH ICONS (not BOSCH EXCELS)

Models 417A (17 inches long) and 428A (28 inches long) (avoid the 'B' models)

This info is courtesy of LtLeary, with endorsement by johnnyd2k2

Install these and show Old Man Winter you are the BOSS.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 AM

Just a quick update....the ICONs I installed back in May are still "streak-free" even enduring the daily Florida rains. I do recommend frequent applications of Rain-X as it does seem to work well in conjunction with the ICONs removing the daily detrius in addition to the rain.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 AM

i thought the blades were good in the snow. The rain they really sucked. The best thing i did was rain-X the windows all of them. its the best thing to do for that car. I'm even thinking about rain- Xing the top roof glass. Its so cool on the side windows when its raining and there is no water on the windows. Of course this all depends on the speed you are going. Get THE RAIN-X PEOPLE.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 AM
TBA

For what it's worth, I tried Aquapel on my glass as an alternative to RainX. CostCo was having a special of 5 Aquapel 1-time use applicators for $9.95 so there wasn't much risk.

So far I'm not impressed.
  • It's harder to apply than RainX. Dries very fast. If it dries on the glass its REALLY difficult to remove the haze.
  • Still streaky. I still get streaks on the glass during wiper operation. More than with RainX.
  • Water doesn't bead that well. Particularly in light rain, or with road spray, water does not bead on the glass very will compared to RainX.
  • Water "shedding". With RainX, I'm used to rain really shedding off the glass even at low speeds. You ALMOST don't need to use wipers. With Aquapel, it doesn't happen nearly to the same extent.

I guess Aquapel is better than nothing, as before treatment I was having considerable difficulty seeing the rain, and visibility is improved. But I think RainX does a better job. Maybe the Aquapel provides a lower level of function over a longer period of time. I do know that RainX needs to be reapplied pretty often to maintain it's effectiveness - like every 4-6 weeks depending on wiper usage.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 PM

In view of this informative post, it seems the 'field' has been narrowed to ONLY ONE wiper blade for the '09 that has had nothing but good reviews from more than one poster:

BOSCH ICONS (not BOSCH EXCELS)

Models 417A (17 inches long) and 428A (28 inches long) (avoid the 'B' models)

This info is courtesy of LtLeary, with endorsement by johnnyd2k2

Install these and show Old Man Winter you are the BOSS.
You are right. Bosch has the best wiper blades out there. I replaced my stock 08 blades with the 09 blades and they worked good, but it would make a startling noise occassionally. So, I recently replaced them with BOSCH ICONS and voila! Premium quality.

It is on sale now at Pepboys too. Regular price is about 42 for both, but with current promotion of 50%, it takes it to about 22 out the door. So, it is a deal. Go get yours.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:29 PM

I installed Rain X Latitude wipers (27 and 17in) in the beginning of spring, no issues as of now. It may last till end of the year or roll over to '10.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by G09madmax
I installed Rain X Latitude wipers (27 and 17in) in the beginning of spring, no issues as of now. It may last till end of the year or roll over to '10.

So you replaced the 28 inch wiper on the driver's side with a 27 inch wiper? Any particular reason you downsized?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM

There are wiper blades on our cars????
Living in So Cal its hard to remember what those things are....lol...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by tpinsocal
There are wiper blades on our cars????
Living in So Cal its hard to remember what those things are....lol...

The wiper blades are OEM on all Maximas, except those sold in California have fire-retardant glass instead of wipers, and those sold in Georgia come with pontoons instead of wipers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiper blades