7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Nissan CVT Warranty Extension

Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 AM

Nissan CVT Warranty Extension

Nissan has extended the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles equipped with the CVT. The remainder of the powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the CVT transmission remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply.
Please note that this is not a safety recall, and there are no safety issues relating to your Continuously Variable Transmission.
For more information on the CVT warranty extension please read the information under "CVT Program Details."

http://forums.maxima.org/7279359-post1.html

http://www.nissanassist.com/
Old 11-04-2009, 07:00 AM

Good, one less thing to worry about. They should have done the same for the MT trans for the 350Z. Thanks for posting!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:38 AM

Good news indeed. This is welcome and becoming of a high level vehicle manufacturer. Although very happy with the CVT, I was slightly concerned being a guinea pig of sorts with my wife's '09 max for the long haul, but this has put those concerns to bed.

Bravo Nissan!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM

Catching up with the all the other car makers. Thats a good thing. Thats the only think I dont like about Nissan, the warranty sucks. But I have had nothing but good things with my past cars, so thats why I keep going back.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:16 PM

WOW that is great!!! I just forwarded this to a friend of mine who is a GM at a dealer who of course knows nothing about it!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Wow, great find. Thanks for posting this info.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM

This is great news and ends the worry about the reliability of this transmission.
Thanks for the great news.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:33 PM

That is awesome... That shows a lot that Nissan stepped up and did this for all of us.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Kudos to Nissan!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

This is a great thing for Nissan to do. It shows they really do care about their customers. I admit I was a little concerned about the long-term reliability of the CVT when it was put in the Murano. As the years went by and I hadn't seen stories about broken CVT belts, I figured the CVT was probably reliable. Now, Nissan is backing the CVT up with a warranty that should take care of any concerns.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 AM

When the CVT became the only Maxima tranny with the '07 model year, there were those on the 6th gen Maxima board who were fairly sure the high heat associated with the CVT would mean problems down the road. They were so sure of that becoming a problem, they decided to obtain a pre-CVT Maxima (preferably an '06), and hold on to it until Nissan realized the CVT was not a dependable tranny, and dropped it.

Evidently, Nissan begs to differ.

Thanks MaxLoverAz. This shows Nissan must feel pretty good about their CVT.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:12 AM

good find now i could worry less about this cvt tranny lol
Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 AM

In the testing of new products, there is always a "hole" in long term tests. It's impossible to squeeze 5 years of road trials into 3 months. The engineers must synthetically create test protocols that simulate the long term. They put the devices into ovens, cycle the parts repeatedly, etc.. But nothing replaces real life experience. We, the owners of the new 7th generation are providing these long term test results for Nissan. Nissan will cover our backs in this experiment. I think it's a fair bargain.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
When the CVT became the only Maxima tranny with the '07 model year, there were those on the 6th gen Maxima board who were fairly sure the high heat associated with the CVT would mean problems down the road. They were so sure of that becoming a problem, they decided to obtain a pre-CVT Maxima (preferably an '06), and hold on to it until Nissan realized the CVT was not a dependable tranny, and dropped it.

Evidently, Nissan begs to differ.

Thanks MaxLoverAz. This shows Nissan must feel pretty good about their CVT.
I was on hiatus from the .org when that discussion took place. I'm sure it was interesting.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by boone
I was on hiatus from the .org when that discussion took place. I'm sure it was interesting.

I miss some of those posters. As far as I know, they are still on the 6th gen forum. Maybe for life. I honestly think there was a core group there that would rather have been medically emasculated than have their manual taken away. But then I can remember when I was the same way, and thought manuals were more masculine, and gave better control of the car. But once I let my brain control my emotions, I knew better.

In their defense, until this redesigned CVT with the 7th gen arrived, I was not overly impressed with the current CVTs either. And a CVT tranny definitely does run hotter than a manual or automatic.

But having been a (frustrated) physicist for well over half a century, I knew in my mind that the potential of a trany that does not shift will always be greater than the potential of a tranny that requires shifting. The only holdup is reaching that greater potential, and this 7th gen Maxima tranny is edging very closely to doing just that.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 AM

I'd be willing to bet this new CVT coverage is for the 1st Gen Murano, the warranty covers all CVT back to 2003 and that was the 1st year of the Murano, and I remember reading on freshalloy, more then a few owners who had trans failures right around 60k-80k, so Nissan is giving those owners an awesome Xmas this year
Old 11-08-2009, 09:21 AM

I was never a fan of a CVT transmission. I've never driven one in a Nissan, but I've driven several at Ford. It's a cool idea, but they didn't last. Ford got rid of them so quick for 6-speed transmissions. It'd be great if Nissan did the same, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the word! I would have never have know about the CVT warranty if not for this forum.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan extended the CVT warranty to 10 yr./120K mi. to: 1/ Obtain higher mileage CVTs for R&D, 2/ Counter negative publicity on the internet, 3/ Partially compensate p-o'd drivers for the cost & inconvenience of a catastrophic CVT failure, because Nissan has not fully trained the service department technicians & advisors as to how a CVT equiped vehicle should perform under all driver demands. And, the service technician's scan tool - the Consult III, doesn't allow the technician to diagnose all CVT partial failures or display past CVT functional errors! ......My guess, is that Nissan wants for R&D, as many catastrophic CVT failures as possible! ....Don't leave home w/o a good "tow" card & bank card, or ample cash! And, hope you don't end up in a "cell phone dead zone"!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Well i'm sure the tranny will last if you do the service and take care of the tranny it shouldnt be to much of an issue. Its great to know that Nissan is doing this. I also feel they should move the bumper to bumper warranty up to 5 years/ 60,000 miles. Cars are getting more and more expensive and if they are met to last longer i dont see why they cant extend the warranty. This is a first start so i guess i'm thankful for that
Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
Well i'm sure the tranny will last if you do the service and take care of the tranny it shouldnt be to much of an issue. Its great to know that Nissan is doing this. I also feel they should move the bumper to bumper warranty up to 5 years/ 60,000 miles. Cars are getting more and more expensive and if they are met to last longer i dont see why they cant extend the warranty. This is a first start so i guess i'm thankful for that

I can see where Nissan reserves the 5 year warranty for their premium Infiniti line, but have long felt having the same warranty on a $10K Nissan econobox as on a $35K Nissan Maxima is not saying much for the Maxima. I have told my dealer for years that Nissan would be smart to consider at least a 4 year warranty on their upscale vehicles such as the Maxima, Murano, 370Z, etc. At least we do have the 5 year coverge on the power train, and now even longer on the CVT.

I have a feeling we may see movement in the warranty area by Nissan in the fairly near future, because Nissan does compete with Korean makes such as Kia, Daewoo and Hyundai, which have TEN year warranties, and are using them as strong selling points.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Very nice post!
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 AM

I'm glad to see Nissan extended the warranty but were lots of owners really having problems with the Tranny ?? I get easily annoyed driving a car now without the CVT...the shifting feels so odd now. Well I'm still loving my CVT !!! Hopefully I will be for a really long time !
Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by MaxDrive81
I'm glad to see Nissan extended the warranty but were lots of owners really having problems with the Tranny ?? I get easily annoyed driving a car now without the CVT...the shifting feels so odd now. Well I'm still loving my CVT !!! Hopefully I will be for a really long time !

I don't recall seeing a single incident posted on Maxima.org involving mechanical problems with this 7th generation CVT.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 AM

Great info. Free stuff always gives me the warm fuzzies.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by STARR
I'd be willing to bet this new CVT coverage is for the 1st Gen Murano, the warranty covers all CVT back to 2003 and that was the 1st year of the Murano, and I remember reading on freshalloy, more then a few owners who had trans failures right around 60k-80k, so Nissan is giving those owners an awesome Xmas this year
My wifes 2003 Murano is having the tranny replaced because of this issue. 70K on it now, and major safety issues with the car not accelerating, then surging forward quickly...Glad to see it covering my 2009 Max...
Old 11-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Got an official letter from Nissan in the mail yesterday, that included a sticker to place in the warranty book, indicating that the CVT warranty was extended.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation 2010 tranny failure after 1200(yes, 12 hundred) miles

My 2010 SV sport with tech is in the shop as we speak having the tranny replaced after 6 weeks on the road and 1200 miles.

Service mgr said something wrong with the solinoid(sp?) and when they looked the tranny fluid was burned.

This is my 5th maxima over 16 years. I've never had a serious mech problem with any of the previous cars. i hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by justjewett
My 2010 SV sport with tech is in the shop as we speak having the tranny replaced after 6 weeks on the road and 1200 miles.

Service mgr said something wrong with the solinoid(sp?) and when they looked the tranny fluid was burned.

This is my 5th maxima over 16 years. I've never had a serious mech problem with any of the previous cars. i hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Don't know how much I believe this, 5 maximas over 16 years and this is your 1st post, either way, if my 7th Gen broke down before the 1st oil change and needed a new CVT I would demand a new car
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
Don't know how much I believe this, 5 maximas over 16 years and this is your 1st post, either way, if my 7th Gen broke down before the 1st oil change and needed a new CVT I would demand a new car

It is his first post because he is new to this board. I had owned nothing but Maximas for 19 years before I found this board and made my first post in June of 2003. But I am with you on the tranny thing. I would not be excited about having a replacement tranny just six weeks into ownership of a near-luxury vehicle. I would think the dealer should at least consider a request by justjewett that Nissan replace his new Maxima (which obviopusly has a MAJOR problem) with a new Maxima that is worthy of the name 'Nissan's Flagship.'

Is this the first replacement CVT transmission in a 7th gen Maxima that has been reported on this board?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
It is his first post because he is new to this board.
Maybe, but I have been bouncing around car forums for about 10 years and somebody always has to be a wiseguy and post something stupid when something is mentioned, just how it happens.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:02 PM

Yepeee..i got mine also in the mail.

Last edited by NiteCrawler; 12-04-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi All,
Anyone have recent issues? I have a 2007 Maxima SE with 97K miles (all highway) and out of the blue lost my low gears. car is at the dealer now, but kind of feel like getting the run around "electrical problem" "overheating" etc excuses...of course they want $110 for diagnostic and will "waive" if the problem is tranny. Wondering if this is typical nissan response or should I start making some noise and being a bit more vocal....?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by orhmaxima
Hi All,
Anyone have recent issues? I have a 2007 Maxima SE with 97K miles (all highway) and out of the blue lost my low gears. car is at the dealer now, but kind of feel like getting the run around "electrical problem" "overheating" etc excuses...of course they want $110 for diagnostic and will "waive" if the problem is tranny. Wondering if this is typical nissan response or should I start making some noise and being a bit more vocal....?

Thanks
orhmaxima - Your 2007 Maxima has an entirely different CVT tranny than the CVT in the 7th generation (2009, 2010) Maximas discussed on this board. If you put your post on the 6th generation board (2004 thru 2008 Maximas), folks who have the same tranny as you do will be much more likely to know about your tranny and help you with your problem.

As to your dealer, I really can't say. If the problem is the tranny is overheating during normal driving, that sounds like a Nissan tranny problem. If it is an electrical problem causing the tranny to lose gears, I would tell the dealer that if the tranny has an electrical function that is failing, it is still a Nissan tranny problem.

It may be that your dealer is straight up, or it may be that he is not. A diagnostic fee is often charged by dealers, because they don't know what they are getting into, and the diagnosis does require the time and effort of an employee paid by the dealer.

I'm sorry you are having tranny trouble. Again, I urge you to post this problem on the 6th generation board for best results.