7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official CVT vs Manual Transmission Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Just as sg1214 said, the most frequent problem folks have with the CVT is adjusting to an entirely different 'feel' and different characteristics.

With shifting trannies (manual or automatic), as the car speeds up, the RPMs speed up until the next shift point. With the CVT, I find the RPMs tend to start high, then gradually go down as the car picks up speed. Just the opposite of shifting trannies.

I remember not being totally happy with automatic trannies when making the change from manuals in the 1950s. But I finally got used to them, once they came up with the four speed (almost all early car trannies, manual or auto, were three speed). But I never did get used to that slippery two speed Power Glide GM came out with in the early 1950s.

I had the same unhappiness with the CVT at first, but now love it.

Nissan has this CVT damped in some way off-the-line (probably helping protect the CVT?), but I don't need off-the-line accelleration; I need 30 to 60 and 45 to 80 accelleration, and this 7th gen Maxima has those two needs covered in spades; absolutely takes my breath away.

jspagna - I would advise you to explain the difference in 'feel' of the CVT, tell her most folks are able to adjust to that difference and end up really liking the more efficient CVT. But also tell her that there are still a few who do not like the way the CVT feels. She absolutely should drive the Maxima before a final decision is made.
I think it's more of a question of me adjusting to it rather than my wife. As you descibe it, it's perfect for the way she drives where I am the one who will notice the lack of off-the-line accelleration.

Ya I know what you mean about those old automatic transmissions, I reminded everytime I drive my 66 Mustang with the C4 three speed automatic.

Thanks for the imput guys!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

re cvt

no problem wit the cvt as far as driveability, just sounds horrible when you get on the pedal,.......motor sounds incredible when using the tiptronic..
__________________________________________________ _______

2010 max sv prem/sport
white black interior
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i actually like it, i've used it b4 in my sisters altima... so i'm not new to cvt
Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM

5 months in and still love it!!

So I bought my Max back in January. I am still excited every time I get behind the wheel of that car. It is so smooth just to cruise in. Then, someone pulls some a$$hole move in traffic, and I just go around them and walk away without pressing the gas halfway down. I actually don't always like the Ds mode since it simulates shifts to give a "sporty" feel. I know it is not shifting, so I kind of feel like they are trying to trick you by making it feel like a traditional automatic. I think it would be much better if it was just the same as the normal drive mode with a quicker throttle response and maximize to hit the sweet spots in the power band right away.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:48 AM

supared - I'm sure there are others here that agree with your suggestion for the Ds mode. Maybe Nissan could heve the Ds mode work the way you suggest, and have a Dm mode where manual shifting is required. The Ds mode would be handled by simply having the onboard computer factor in an RPM adjustment across the entire range.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

got a question to anyone that has the bullydog programer i heard it could mess up my trans is this true or not
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 AM

I've Owned "Rhonda" With A CVT for 2 Years Now... Love It... I Do Believe That CVT Will Be The Future... They Tested It In Their Murano First Before They Put It In Their Flagship Model
Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Thaboywonder6588
I've Owned "Rhonda" With A CVT for 2 Years Now... Love It... I Do Believe That CVT Will Be The Future... They Tested It In Their Murano First Before They Put It In Their Flagship Model
You are correct that the CVT will be the tranny of the future. As it improves, it will gradually pull away from all shifting trannies in fuel efficiency as well as in accelleration.

For oldies like me, who drove nothing but manuals in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and who was still driving manuals as late as 1984, the change to a CVT was a little more difficult than for folks who have done little manual tranny driving.

But my technological training told me a tranny that does not have to shift would theoretically give more efficiency and accelleration than any tranny that shifts, so I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt, and have grown to love it.

The CVT is not yet anywhere near its potential, but has made great strides.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM

Question time. When I drove a manual I liked to throw it into neutral to roll down hills and to a stop. Is this a bad idea for the CVT?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by DINMax82
Question time. When I drove a manual I liked to throw it into neutral to roll down hills and to a stop. Is this a bad idea for the CVT?
This surely has no effect on a manual, and I doubt if it has much effect on the CVT.

BUT

Nissan has had a system in place on the Maxima since the intro of the 6th gen 2004 model that uses engine compression to help slow the car down if we are going downhill and have our foot off the accellerator pedal. I have grown to love this feature, and because of it, I am using my brakes less than I used to, and have never had to have any brakework done on either my 6th gen or 7th gen.

This feature can be overriden by simply keeping our foot on the gas pedal lightly (or firmly) when going downhill.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Regardless of the transmission type, it's not a good idea generally, because there will be times when you'll need to get it back into some gear, "gear", or range. That takes time that you may not have to spare. Some places, it's actually illegal to coast in neutral.

Mechanically, the effect on the CVT should be minimal. There will be a little impact involved somewhere inside as whatever engages the power path through the tranny gets its job done.

As light has already noted, having engine compression braking available (and using it) is a really nice feature. If nothing else, it cuts down the amount of tap-dancing you need to do to maintain speed, and your driving will be a whole lot smoother for it.

And with compression braking, once you actually do use the brakes a couple of times, the guy behind you ought to get the idea that, yeah, when the lights come on you really mean it.

Norm
Old 07-02-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Some places, it's actually illegal to coast in neutral.

Norm
Excellent point, Norm. I seem to recall coasting in neutral as being illegal in every state in which I have lived (I read the regs carefully when moving to another state, as every state has some quirks).

It is sort of scary how fast a car in neutral can pick up speed on a long downhill. As you indicated, braking with no assist from engine compression is harder on the brakes, and a car coasting in neutral is not nearly as under control in an emergency as one that has the tranny engaged.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM

I guess I'm the only one that enjoys the rollercoaster ride.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Mecinois - Nice writeup. Nice car collection also.

I bought my '09 Maxima with some concern about the CVT. Earlier versions of the CVT I had test-driven did not impress me as being 'ready for prime time.' But this 7th gen Maxima CVT grabbed me right from the start. Took a little getting used to, but I have had a lot of fun finding ways to 'control' this CVT (via the throttle and speed, etc) without even taking the tranny out of regular 'D' mode.

I have driven many manuals in the past sixty-some years (yes, I am OLD). I loved the manual when it was the most efficient tranny, but it is now the THIRD most efficient tranny, and is no fun in gridlocked traffic. Maybe if I lived in the Rockies . . .

I am now a big CVT fan. But I'm still a 'sporty youngun' at heart. No Buick or Avalon for me.

Haha. I have to admit. The Buicks offer some very sweet rides. The best next to the likes of Cadillacs and Lexus. But those are roadtrip cars - for travelers. The Max is for drivers.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM

I guess I'm the only one that enjoys the rollercoaster ride.
Good analogy - it's the excitement from not being in complete control of your fate in either situation.

Norm
Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm currently halfway through my lease on my 2009 Maxima. I had a Murano prior and I'm spoiled rotten by the CVT and it's lack of shifting.

What surprised the hell outta me is the performance of this newest CVT as a sport tranny.

Most people don't realize but the Manual transmission is straight-up out-dated technology. Next time you take your Maxima in for service, go look at the GTR (if they have one) and realize that car does not have a manual and it's faster than most Porsche 911's that have manuals.

Granted, I love a good manual transmission, the control you feel is unparalleled. But that's not to say that this CVT provides the exact same control that a comparable Dual-clutch sequential does. It holds the false ratios and the shift times are insanely fast. Far faster than most comparable Slap-shift style autos.

This is every Car manufacturer, too. Computer and manufacturing is at the point that manuals are pretty much substandard performance-wise to DSG dual clutchers that are automatic or sequential.

That's not to say they aren't more fun and if I didn't live by NYC I wouldn't have checked that manual option off if it existed.

I do have a question though:

Has anybody turbo charged or super charged the Maxima's VQ and kept the CVT in it? Is that possible? What's its thresholds?

I don't think another manufacturer channels more than 290 HP into a CVT yet, so basically how robust is this puppy?

I'm not just talking Intake/Header/Exhaust. I'm talking if I re-worked the motor to slam some real boost into one of the sweetest production motors on the planet......
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM

Because of how the CVT works, how do you feel it responds best in terms of speed? I feel like sometimes when I'm really trying to go fast it feels sluggish, but whenever I am very gentle on the gas pedal it seems to really lurch forward with power. It's annoying because my instinct is to mash it when I want to go, but it almost seems counterproductive.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by PMarsico9
Most people don't realize but the Manual transmission is straight-up out-dated technology.
If you'd called conventional manual transmissions "unsophisticated", I might agree with you. They do everything required of them, with minimal complexity. And that's a good thing.

Next time you take your Maxima in for service, go look at the GTR (if they have one) and realize that car does not have a manual and it's faster than most Porsche 911's that have manuals.
<snip>
the shift times are insanely fast
<snip>
Computer and manufacturing is at the point that manuals are pretty much substandard performance-wise to DSG dual clutchers that are automatic or sequential.
This is pretty much the same argument given for choosing a conventional AT over a conventional MT in threads on other fora. This matters in exactly two respects. On the race track for a few. And for bragging rights for the rest - which is a polite way of saying "unearned basking in the glory of those few". Emotional jewelry.

I do have a question though:

What's its thresholds?
Ultimately it's going to be based on the amount of friction that can be developed between the "belt" and the split "pulleys", particularly for small effective drive pulley diameters. And on the amount of friction that can be maintained as the ratio varies (and the "belt" surface picks up a small sliding component relative to the pulley surfaces). Assuming that there is adequate margin in the pressure stress design of the internals, I think you'd be tweaking the hydraulic system pressure and living with the added parasitic losses. And probably adding additional fluid cooling.

Since I doubt that Nissan is going to freely dispense that information, it's going to be up to somebody's "trial and (expensive) error" if it's going to get done at all.

It took folks a while to figure out how to do the "slick-shift" modification to conventional manual transmissions, too.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-30-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 PM

What Norm said.

CVTs have been around for awhile, but they are still almost a century newer than traditional manuals and around a half century newer than automatics. Until I drove this CVT on the 7th gen Maxima, I had never been very impressed with them. I am still far from convinced they have reached the very reliable status we have attained in traditional trannies.

Also, there is the little matter of repair. My barber is fairly good at fixing manuals and automatics, but is not yet ready to work on CVTs. At this time, I feel CVT work is pretty much a dealer-only thing.

Unless I had lots of dough and found myself in a playful mood, I would be hesitant to apply much more power to these CVTs than Nissan already has going to them in the stock Maxima.

Put another way, Nissan clearly did not intend these 7th gen Maximas to be used as race cars.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM

I agree with Norm and lightonthehill. You mentioned the GTR. I'd spend $20-$25k more for that before trying to put a blower or turbo on this car. You might be able to do a tranny swap though. Again, probably an expensive undertaking.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mzjB...eature=related

Video is kind of old but may help out some people new to CVT

and also (though not Nissan CVT) still helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47caRqbbnE
Old 09-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking at purchasing a New or nearly new Maxima, currently driving an M45 which has been a great car to drive but with 20kmi yr driving need to get better MPG, and the CVT is the only thing that I hesitate on. I know from a google search that the 06+ till I hope is the 09 has had numerous realibility issues and failures. Has Nissan fixed this withe 10+ models, I see a 120kmi warranty is now std, but 120kmi is still not that great if you have to rebuild the tranny for $5000 or so in a few years. Also, how often and at what cost do you have to service the tranny? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by A320Pilot
Looking at purchasing a New or nearly new Maxima, currently driving an M45 which has been a great car to drive but with 20kmi yr driving need to get better MPG, and the CVT is the only thing that I hesitate on. I know from a google search that the 06+ till I hope is the 09 has had numerous realibility issues and failures. Has Nissan fixed this withe 10+ models, I see a 120kmi warranty is now std, but 120kmi is still not that great if you have to rebuild the tranny for $5000 or so in a few years. Also, how often and at what cost do you have to service the tranny? Thanks for the info.
I'd be careful getting into a newer Nissan. You'd be surprised at how much of the newer Nissans are manufactured in China and Mexico. Some of the problems (like the strut problems) the latest Maxima had were from Chinese made parts. The Maxima's struts are made in China. Obvious cost cutting going on. I am not a Gen 7 expert at all. But I do own a 2007 Titan that corporate Nissan has found fit to fill full of non-Japanese and non-American sourced parts. My Chinese made climate control system is problematic (common Titan problem), my Chinese made stock 6 CD system has dead buttons, the Chinese made IPDM's are known to die in such a way as to cause the pre-cats to fail in a manner which is known to destroy the engine. My truck only has 27K miles on it, and it can not hold a candle to the reliability that my 300K mile Maxima has demonstrated. My 1997 Maxima is Japanese made, totally and utterly reliable. It has the stock stereo system, none of the joints are loose, it doesn't rattle, creak, leak, nothing. Everything wrong with my Titan has never occurred to my old Maxima in the 130K miles we have owned it, and there's no indication it ever occurred to the previous owner.

I am very dubious about Nissan these days. Your M45 was made in Japan I believe. I too put +20K a year on my Maxima, and I don't expect it to ever let me down. And I don't mean just getting stranded, I also mean it never annoys me with cheap parts failing like my Titan does. I doubt you'll be as satisfied with a gen 7 Maxima 5 years down the road as a 5 year old M45.

Oh and BTW, those extended warranties don't mean crap unless the car is utterly dead. Nissan will deny claims all day long to avoid fixing something if they can just say "unable to duplicate" or "they all do that". The warranty only works when the car is obviously broken. At least that's the way Nissan usually treats Titan owners when they try and get their trucks fixed under warranty. "Oh, your AC compressor is always stuck on and the blower has a mind of it's own?? they ALL do that!" or "what exhaust leak, we don't hear an exhaust leak". I did own an 2002 Infiniti QX4 that Infiniti was wonderful with, they fixed problems near the end of my warranty that I was unaware of. Me personally, I'd buy another Infiniti if I could afford to. Most are made in Japan, and their warranty service is more friendly in my experience.

Last edited by made in china; 09-02-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for the quick reply, my heart is broken, the new Maxima is so good looking. I too was suprised at the issues I have had with my M45, it is a very nice car to drive and fun, still get compliments on the looks. However, it has stranded me a few times in three years of ownership, completely realible till a sensor goes faulty, then car just stops. Made in China is pissing me off, our 03 Seqouia has been in a word "Perfect" with 130kmi and its made in the USA, just a flat 6yr old battery left the car stranded at the mall, would not even jump start, waited too long I know. I did not want to spend so much for a Lexus ES, plus its really boring and I am not that old yet, but quality in Pure Japanese and Pure American cars is better than these "globalization" cars we are now seeing. The only thing is I am a sucker for good looking cars, so the Maxima is on the top of my list.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Yeah the new Maxima's do look good.

You should probably spend some time browsing the 7 Gen forums. Maybe Nissan makes a better Maxima than they do a Titan?? hahah. I could be wrong, the 7 Gen Maxima's may be able to go 200K+ miles just as well as the 4 Gens have proven to.

I haven't heard anything bad about the CVT's if that is your main concern. I think people just like to take sides on whether or not a Maxima should have one.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by made in china
I think people just like to take sides on whether or not a Maxima should have one.
It's probably not whether the Maxima should have one, but more like whether it should be the only transmission available. The other side of this coin can be seen over on the Legacy GT forum, where every now and then somebody brings up wanting to see the 2.5GT available with an automatic (that car is 6MT only).

This thread would not even exist if a 6MT was still available in the Maxima, and I strongly doubt that a conventional 5A/6A/etc. vs CVT thread would have ever attracted as much interest or comment as this one has.

Sorry to hear about the problems with China-sourced components. But I'm not at all surprised - you guys need to see what happens when a Chinese-built pressure vessel or piping system fails its pressure testing. Where life is regarded as cheap and replaceable . . . so are the products.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-03-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 AM

My problem with the cheap sourced parts, be it from India, Mexico or China that they install on new Nissans these days is that it shows where corporate Nissan's priorities are. They are far more concerned with profit margins to keep investors and shareholders happy than they are with making a good vehicle. Investors and shareholders only care about the short term. They want Nissan to outsource, to "streamline" production (in the case of the Maxima, make only one trans available) because up front it turns a quick profit. Those investors then move on to the next company to pilfer. They could care less about the car's warranty issues, or the fact that the deletion of a MT will drive away long-time loyalists. back in the day, Nissan tried to build a name for itself (include every other car company too) and so they built very sturdy, reliable cars with many different options.

Now you can see that Nissan is focused on different priorities. Look at the 1, 2 and 3 gen Maxima's for proof.
Gen 1, RWD, diesel option, wagon option. Different kinds of tranny's available.
Gen 2, lost RWD and diesel but at least kept wagon and 2 kinds of trans.
Gen 3 was a good generation. You could get a SOHC GXE for grandma. Or you could get a DOHC, black leather, 5MT SE for yourself. Lots of choices.

The 4 Gen streamlined a bit, and the 5 gen improved things a bit. Then the 6 Gen started to show where Nissan really was headed.

Now you can get a Maxima any way you like it, as long as you choose from 1 engine, 1 body style and 1 transmission choice.

It's good for Nissan's bottom line, the investors are happy.
Nissan is no longer in the business to build great vehicles, they are in the business for profit. (Yes they still make a few great vehicles)
Old 09-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What a great thread. I have come so close to pulling the trigger on a new Maxima, but honestly the only thing holding me back is the CVT. Yes, I am old school and do enjoy a good manual tranny, to ME it is simply a more involved and more rewarding driving experience. I did test drive the CVT, and I was lukewarm on it. I do understand why Nissan discontinued the standard, but I can honestly say that if they offered a manual I would have a Max in my garage right now.

Lightonthehill: I so enjoy your posts. You are a wealth of knowledge on this car.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dakota Kid
What a great thread. I have come so close to pulling the trigger on a new Maxima, but honestly the only thing holding me back is the CVT. Yes, I am old school and do enjoy a good manual tranny, to ME it is simply a more involved and more rewarding driving experience. I did test drive the CVT, and I was lukewarm on it. I do understand why Nissan discontinued the standard, but I can honestly say that if they offered a manual I would have a Max in my garage right now.

Lightonthehill: I so enjoy your posts. You are a wealth of knowledge on this car.
I had a 2003 Camry Solara V6 with a MT. That was the only redeeming quality of that car, really, the V6 with a MT. I prefer AT's due to my daily drive, but I agree that Maxima really needs to have a 6MT at least.

I was thinking what kind of car can one suggest to a guy looking for a sporty FWD sedan with a MT...I dunno if Honda still makes the Accord Sedan with a V6/6MT, but the coupe can be had that way. I am surprised Honda still offers an Accord V6 6MT to be honest. If you like a Max, the Accord probably won't interest you at all. Maybe a TL? Besides, at the price point of the Max, TL or Accord V6/6MT there's a bunch of better sporty options out there. You'd have to be really committed to the whole over-powered FWD thing.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by made in china
I had a 2003 Camry Solara V6 with a MT. That was the only redeeming quality of that car, really, the V6 with a MT. I prefer AT's due to my daily drive, but I agree that Maxima really needs to have a 6MT at least.

I was thinking what kind of car can one suggest to a guy looking for a sporty FWD sedan with a MT...I dunno if Honda still makes the Accord Sedan with a V6/6MT, but the coupe can be had that way. I am surprised Honda still offers an Accord V6 6MT to be honest. If you like a Max, the Accord probably won't interest you at all. Maybe a TL? Besides, at the price point of the Max, TL or Accord V6/6MT there's a bunch of better sporty options out there. You'd have to be really committed to the whole over-powered FWD thing.
You are right, the Accord does not interest me. I am not committed to FWD (or RWD for that matter) and I love the styling and appointment of the Maxima. Really, my only niggle is the CVT. I worry about the long term reliability of this relatively new tranny, only time will tell.

As far as alternatives, I am also considering the VW jetta GLI, which is a far better Jetta than the standard version. I may also take a look at the Infiniti G37, although its looks don't appeal to me as much as the Maxima.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dakota Kid
You are right, the Accord does not interest me. I am not committed to FWD (or RWD for that matter) and I love the styling and appointment of the Maxima. Really, my only niggle is the CVT. I worry about the long term reliability of this relatively new tranny, only time will tell.

As far as alternatives, I am also considering the VW jetta GLI, which is a far better Jetta than the standard version. I may also take a look at the Infiniti G37, although its looks don't appeal to me as much as the Maxima.
I like the looks of the new Jetta also, and I really like the GLI in how it has a richer, softer interior. We had a 2008 Subaru that was all hard plastic everything inside, and when I heard the regular Jetta went that way I immediately hated the car.

Oddly, many people say the Jetta is bland looking, but I think it looks great. Very tasteful design that will look good for a LONG time, IMO. I only have 2 problems with the Jetta:

1. Made in Mexico, the same way all the previous gens were which have always proven to be far less long term quality and reliability than japanese, korean and even "domestic" cars.

2. The 2.0T is way too slow for me. When I replace the Maxima, the next car needs to be as fast and efficient (I get 31 MPG in a 3.5 swapped 4 Gen) as my current car, or far more efficient if it's going to be slower.

Anyways, that's fine, as my favorite thing about the new Jetta is looking at them, they seem popular enough already I see them many times a day. But if your concern is long term durability, I'd strongly recommend the Maxima over any VW. Nissan is going downhill in a relative manner compared to a decade or more ago, but they haven't sunk to VW levels yet.

Have you checked Murano and Quest CVT reliability? They've been out a while and should give an idea of CVT long term reliability.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MIC- I am also concerned about the made in Mexico thing, for ovvious reasons. VW has had their issues over the years, this is for sure. I think the Maxima is much more car than the Jetta GLI, no real comarison there. The Maxima does so much well.

I will have to do some research on the long term reliability of the CVT....what is the warranty on them these days?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:04 PM

WOW! I stay off this thread a few days and so much MISINFORMATION gets posted.

The TITAN has had reliability problems from day one. Folks wanting a large pickup should stick with the reliable, American-made Ford F150.

The MAXIMA has ALWAYS had VERY GOOD reliability. Poster 'made in china' is misleading us by suggesting Maxima parts are made in china. Almost 90% of Maxima parts are made in the U.S., with the tranny made by JATCO in Japan.

The Maxima CVT problems were with the 2006 through 2008 Maximas. The 2009 has the redesigned and improved CVT that has given very solid service so far. I have grown to love my 2009 Maxima CVT so much I will never buy a old-style auto or manual tranny again. That is unless I moved to where I could go one mile with less than 100 shifts, in which case I might consider a manual. Sadly, those places are getting harder and harder to find.

The 7th gen Maxima is not a race car, and is not the 4DSC of olden days. But it is a very reliable, upscale (near-luxury), comfortable, attractive sedan with very aggressive styling.

Those suggesting the Maxima or the 7th gen Maxima CVT may be less than reliable have obvioulsy done NO homework. Simply checking the Consumer Reliability tables compiled from the responses of the many thousands of subscribers shows those suggestions to be untrue.

Those interested in the 7th gen Maxima need to talk to owners of 7th gen Maximas, not opinions of those who have never owned one.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Those interested in the 7th gen Maxima need to talk to owners of 7th gen Maximas, not opinions of those who have never owned one.
More accurately : those interested in the 7th gen Maxima need to talk to YOU, I've never seen anyone on the ORG with a larger wealth of information(including historical) than you bring to the table. Thanks for tirelessly sharing it.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Ghozt
More accurately : those interested in the 7th gen Maxima need to talk to YOU, I've never seen anyone on the ORG with a larger wealth of information(including historical) than you bring to the table. Thanks for tirelessly sharing it.

Thanks for the praise I requested. Your check is in the mail.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lightning on the Hill, I am a little mislead with the CVT. On U.S consumer rankings reports Nissan maxima in realibility at 6 out of ten, or below average overall and was hoping this is not due to the CVT, as of course their is subjective areas such as interior finish, etc. Anyway, heard that the V6 in the Maxima is a gem and good for at least 200kmi, I drive 20kmi a year. I googled CVT problems and saw a new warranty till 120kmi on all CVT 2003-10, the 2011 model is not included, was their a change in something? Also, I drove two at two different Nissan dealers, one said service CVT with fluid flush every 30Kmi for $159 in the 2011 and the other said only service at 120kmi for $175 for the 2010? The Toyota I have only requires one trans fluid change at 150kmi, I performed a drian and refill at 100kmi, and the fluid was looking clean. Also, the 2010 had a seat that rocked in the frame with only 4500miles-same problem as my M- (White SV for $29000), is thier a fix for this and when fixed is it corrected fully? Thanks a Million for the info...
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM

WOW! I stay off this thread a few days and so much MISINFORMATION gets posted.

The TITAN has had reliability problems from day one. Folks wanting a large pickup should stick with the reliable, American-made Ford F150.

The MAXIMA has ALWAYS had VERY GOOD reliability. Poster 'made in china' is misleading us by suggesting Maxima parts are made in china. Almost 90% of Maxima parts are made in the U.S., with the tranny made by JATCO in Japan.

loth: TOTALLY disagree with you on the F-150 statement. This comment rattles me bad...

First off, amongst my group of friends, we have all different kinds of trucks from 1/2 ton Tundras, to 3/4 ton domestics, Duramax, Cummins, Dodge V10, etc. There's 2 newer F-150's in the mix. By far, the Titan is much more reliable and better screwed together than ANY Ford. All of these trucks, including the Titan are far less "reliable" than most cars. Just the way it is. But the Titan is not a penalty compared to other 1/2 tons.

Secondly, and here is where I KNOW you have it all wrong on the F-150, I freaking worked and lived in China and hung out with Ford engineers in China during early 2000's. American made my ***! Ford sets up shop in China, outsourcing American jobs DIRECTLY. Go look at a F-150 if you think you know it all. Fuel lines, trans coolers, electronics, motor mounts, etc all made in China. That is NOT an "American" truck anymore. Google "F-150 made in China" you'll see, owners noticed it, and some think it's just too bad. Mustang 5.0 have Chinese glass transmissions, Google that too and get back to me on "American" Fords.

As for Maxima parts 90% US made. Doubt it. Highly doubt it. But if that's true, than good. However, I would like to know where your source is, because I would like to use that source next time I go car shopping. Manufacturers are very misleading about content, FORD gets away with Chinese parts because the label says xx% Domestic. Legally, a FORD factory making parts in China is "Domestic" enough. Then the owners see "made in China" labels all under their hoods and are like WTF? Hey, sorry for getting off track here as this isn't a thread about global sourcing, but please do share your source with me because I'd be very grateful to have real content info.

As for talking to actual 7 gen owners, I agree 100%. I based my assumptions on every other Nissan product BESIDES the new Maxima. To be honest, I have NO real experience with the latest Maxima. I am just drawing conclusions from all the other Nissans I have dealt with. Obviously the 7 gen Maxima is a cut above regular Nissans.

Dude, the Ford comment is dead wrong.
The comment about talking only to current, actual Maxima owners is spot on.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Almost 90% of Maxima parts are made in the U.S.
If the Maxima had a domestic parts content of 90%, it would be the most american made car. However it is not. The actual Domestic parts content of the Maxima is 55%.

source: http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/...11_Percent.pdf

the article: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-ford-falling/
Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 PM

does anyone use the paddle shifters for downshifting to save on the brakes? is this recommended?

thx!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by funnyman82
does anyone use the paddle shifters for downshifting to save on the brakes? is this recommended?

thx!
No different from any other transmission. It is a useful technique for maintaining speed on long downgrades and to avoid brake fade. Possibly useful if you see a downshift situation developing. It is NOT a substitute for using the brakes for any normal braking events.

Norm

Quick Reply: The Official CVT vs Manual Transmission Thread