7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Knocking type noise...front end

Old 01-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Knocking type noise...front end

Im hearing a faint, but noticable knocking sound coming from around the front wheel area....its like a loose wheel though I know thats not the problem but thats kinda the sound its making. Only happening when hitting light bumps in the road.
Anyone have this issue???
Old 01-16-2010, 07:19 PM

Maybe the strut insulator?

NTB09-086

2009–2010 ALTIMA AND MAXIMA; VOLUNTARY SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN FRONT STRUT MOUNTING INSULATOR
Some specific model year 2009 – 2010 Altima and Maxima vehicles may have been built with front strut mounting insulators that were not manufactured to specification. The strut mounting insulators on these specific vehicles may crack. To remedy this potential condition Nissan is conducting this voluntary safety recall campaign to replace the strut mounting insulators with new ones at no charge for parts or labor.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 PM

i hear something similar when first pulling off.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I get the same thing. If I wasn't so particular about noises, I probably would not notice it. With my 2010 car, I don't think it is the same issue as the recall. Mine doesn't do it when going over bumps. It happens after I start the car and I first hit the accelerator when pulling away from a stop sign. After it makes the noise, It doesn't do it again until after I stop and I let the car sit for a while.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV
I get the same thing. If I wasn't so particular about noises, I probably would not notice it. With my 2010 car, I don't think it is the same issue as the recall. Mine doesn't do it when going over bumps. It happens after I start the car and I first hit the accelerator when pulling away from a stop sign. After it makes the noise, It doesn't do it again until after I stop and I let the car sit for a while.

Yours and TRANZSPOPRTA's noise is something totally different, and is present on all 7th gen Maximas, although more noticable on some than on others. Mine does this at the same places on the same streets as I pass around 17 MPH, and sometimes happens at almost the same time as the automatic door locks. Once it does this, it does not repeat the noise until it has been parked awhile.

This has been discussed in many threads here over the last year plus. Some think this sound may be the ABS system either recalibrating or adjusting, but who knows? All we know is that this particular noise is something on the car checking/adjusting itself, and is definitely not a problem.

jixxer's problem, however, is something entirely different, and we have to hope it is something simple like the strut insulator recall 2young2retire mentioned. If not that, then it is most likely a different problem with the strut; hopefully still under warranty.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 AM

try getting it on a lift and checking out your exhaust mounts and supports
Old 01-18-2010, 03:22 AM

I also had a lound click/clunk noise upon taking off after the car sat a bit. No matter if I put it in reverse or drive I got the clunk/clink from the front. I took it to Nissan and they pulled the axles and regreased the splines. Worked thus far, but I think the grease is just masking the problem. When it breaks for good Nissan will just have to fix it, not my problem.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:42 AM

Im going bring it in tomorrow to change the exahust tips; I'll have them take a look at the thumping sound im hearing. I'll post back.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

lightonthehill, thanks for the reply. Nice to know that it is not a mechanical problem.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM

service guy said they couldnt hear the knocking noise; so they couldnt fix it. go figure!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM

It's def the ABS. Funny thing is, this never happened on my M35X, not sure the reason for them having this weird noise on the Maxima.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got the same thing, knock when pulling off from a stop. More noticeable if I'm pulling off and turning at the same time. Dealer couldn't reproduce it, obviously. They need a tab for this as it's embarassing. I've had a couple people ask me what it was.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 AM

Ahh Take it to the dealer. You still under warranty right?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just traded in my 07 Max for the 2010 Max and I have been pissed for the last two weeks bcuz I have been hearing this sound. Im glad to know it not a problem.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by bluemax07
I just traded in my 07 Max for the 2010 Max and I have been pissed for the last two weeks bcuz I have been hearing this sound. Im glad to know it not a problem.

Strangely, after clearly hearing this noise daily for almost a year, it has gradually become less noticable. I tried to hear it today, and was never able to do so.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 AM

took it to the dealer, they said they couldnt hear anything, wierd thing is its not constant.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:42 AM

I've heard that same noise in my 2010 Max.... I only ever notice it during the first acceleration after the car has sat for a while.
After that I can't reproduce it again, so hopefully its just like light said and something is just calibrating itself.
Since I can't reproduce it after the first minute of starting the car I am assuming that's probably the case.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Front end noise

I have been to the dealer and could not get the car to replicate the thunk I hear when going over speed bumps or speed humps around 10-20 mph. The ABS check is around 20 mph when you first start moving but the noise I'm talking about sounds like its coming from the right front suspension, not normal at all.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM

I had an issue with squeaking suspension coming from the front right going over bumps and showed it to the dealer when I was dealing with some paint issues. It turns out that I had a recall on my Max for the front strut insulator. This might not be audibly related but it might have something to do with it.

Last edited by Mreim769; 04-22-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by bluefish7
I have been to the dealer and could not get the car to replicate the thunk I hear when going over speed bumps or speed humps around 10-20 mph. The ABS check is around 20 mph when you first start moving but the noise I'm talking about sounds like its coming from the right front suspension, not normal at all.

On certain speed bumps, I sometimes get this same strange thunk from the right front as you do. I'm sure it is related in some way to the strut assembly or mounting. It doesn't happen often, and it is not affecting operation of the vehicle, so I will wait and see. If it goes away, fine. If it gets worse, I live very close to my dealer.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem when I first bought the car and I looked on here for similar issues with other cars. I cam across the service bulletin about the strut insulators, but my car wasn't built during those dates so I left it alone for a couple of months. But I was in for a oil change this week and got a technician to ride in the car with me and they heard the nose as well so they replaced to strut insulators and now it doesn't make the noise when starting and stopping, but it still makes the noise over speed bumps on occasion and especially when at a stop then taking off in a right turn, but only a right turn not left. Going to take it back to the dealership again this week
Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 PM

I have the sound first thing in the morning just as the auto locks set. It sounds like the tires are bouncing, but there not. I think it has to do with the airbags sensor's adjusting to a speed after a long period start up.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hye guys Im new here, but I just posted a fix for this noise in another thread. I will just copy and paste:

The fact that you hear the noise on bumps or uneven surfaces makes me think it may be suspension. Suspension noises can travel all though the car and really throw you off a bit. There is a tsb about poping noise from the front. To see if you have this problem do the following. Jack up the front of the car so that the wheels are in the air and pull in and out on the front springs. If they move at all then that is more than likely your problem. The TSB calls for installing a rubber insulator on the top coil of the spring. That should clear it up.

I have the same problem on the 09 I just bought, just havent had time to fix it. Just so you all know, I am a Nissan Master Tech, and more than willing to help with all your issues. Just shoot me a email for any questions. Let me know if this fixed your issue.....
Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by DustinS
I am a Nissan Master Tech, and more than willing to help with all your issues. Just shoot me a email for any questions. Let me know if this fixed your issue.....
HELP HAS ARRIVED. DustinS have you read through all of the concerns we have with our cars and what do you think. Hint Vibration,rocking Driver seat,shaking passenger seat,Wings not opening when going over 100mph and etc.

Welcome a Board!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
HELP HAS ARRIVED. DustinS have you read through all of the concerns we have with our cars and what do you think. Hint Vibration,rocking Driver seat,shaking passenger seat,Wings not opening when going over 100mph and etc.

Welcome a Board!
Well there is a tsb for the drivers seat, passenger seat, and knocking noise. These are all known issues. By the way my car has all of these, but i have only owned it for 5 days now. I'm not sure about vibration though I know the last gen max had a vibration issue. Mine does vibrate, but only due to flat spots from sitting on the lot.

Last edited by DustinS; 05-10-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:23 AM

I was talking about this to light in another thread but I just realize this might be better suited for this one as well! I'm not sure if these are the noises you guys have been dealing with in the front-end but this is the knocking/pinging/clinging noises I have had while the engine has been on (without the A/C and fan being on) and when it is off and cooling down!

Take a listen to each 30 second clip and see if it was you have been dealing with or something else. The hardest thing about talking to others about noises is that if they can't hear them for themselves, they can't really know for sure what you are talking about. Dustin told me that this stuff is related to how Nissan designs all their heat shields and that all Nissan do this, but I just can't believe that. I mean, these noises are so loud and very consistent/frequent that I've had people comment if something was wrong. The longer I drive, even with the A/C and fan off, the worse this knocking/pinging/clinging gets! I mean I have never had any other vehicles over the years do this, especially when the engine is running. Even my 3.5L VQ FX35 engine doesn't make these noises so I can't figure out for the life of me why the Maxima would.

By the way, I use Shell Premium gas and a Valvoline SynPower oil, so its not like I use crap/cheap products in my Maxima and Dustin agreed with me on this one. These products would not be causing these noises and he said it should in fact help reduce it, but I haven't ever notice it getting better, at least not yet. I'm at about 8k miles on the car now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaDiOYlohzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O1brN0Ur50

Last edited by smarty666; 05-15-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
On certain speed bumps, I sometimes get this same strange thunk from the right front as you do. I'm sure it is related in some way to the strut assembly or mounting. It doesn't happen often, and it is not affecting operation of the vehicle, so I will wait and see. If it goes away, fine. If it gets worse, I live very close to my dealer.
I have this same problem but it really on happens when the temp is 80-85+ outside. It is a loud creaking noise coming from the front end. Speed bumps manifest the most. Sounds like it is happening on both sides with the right side being dominant.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi to all.
I do have alll this problems.
If i pass the speed bumps or get out from underground parking it get's the clunk noise. it is obvious on the up-down moving of the suspension. But to me it happens on the left side.
And as well, I felt, occasionally, the second noise on start, occasionally left u-turn and stops. I can't reproduce it.
I have visited last week one of Nissan's fast service shops where they have inspected the car and tightened some bolts.
Surprise.....it worked, but only for 2 days.
Today I've been to my mechanic friend to let him hear the noise. He took me to a place and he checked all the nuts under the car, telling me that some of it were little loose on the back.
Unfortunately that did not fixed the problem.
On Saturday I'll take the car in Nissan's AGAIN, after they have changed the right back tire because of the car vibrations between 120-140 km/h.
Happily the vibrations are not so bad anymore, but unfortunately I still feel some.

And I was so happy with my XTerra for 38 k km...in last 2 years, that I run to them and bought THE 4DSC....wow...
I still try to love this car!
Thank you all for all your support!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm getting similar noises and sometimes a loud pop coming from the front suspension area, particularly when going over a speed bump and when pulling out of the driveway after starting up. I was able to replicate for the service rep last week and it's going in soon.

It should be noted that I had the recall performed last year on the strut insulator.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DustinS
Well there is a tsb for the drivers seat, passenger seat, and knocking noise. These are all known issues. By the way my car has all of these, but i have only owned it for 5 days now. I'm not sure about vibration though I know the last gen max had a vibration issue. Mine does vibrate, but only due to flat spots from sitting on the lot.
I wouldn't be so sure about "WHY" it vibrates.
Mine before 600 km from new had a huge steering vibration and it went away after a proper balancing.
But why I have to ballance the tires of a new sports 4 dor car in les than a week after I pick it up?...
Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pajaha1
I'm getting similar noises and sometimes a loud pop coming from the front suspension area, particularly when going over a speed bump and when pulling out of the driveway after starting up. I was able to replicate for the service rep last week and it's going in soon.

It should be noted that I had the recall performed last year on the strut insulator.
Ask them to check this as well:
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/T...del=&modelyear=
This is what I intend to show them when I take my car in on this coming Saturday. I hope it'll work.
Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NCSUpilot
I have this same problem but it really on happens when the temp is 80-85+ outside. It is a loud creaking noise coming from the front end. Speed bumps manifest the most. Sounds like it is happening on both sides with the right side being dominant.
Not yet sure, as I have to test it more, but I have noticed as well as NCSUpilot that the outside temperature, or the engine temperature dose have an effect on those clucking noises.
By the way, I feel like mine are coming from the left front side of tha car, and are always on up-down movement of the suspension.

Last week I had the car inspected by the nissan about this problem. Thy had inspected all the bolts and uts under the cat, re-tighten all of them, and...after that all was fine. But I have to wait for them for about 45 minutes plus the job, and by the time I went back home the it was late evening. No problems after that for about 2 days.

Same yesterday, this time I had my friend looking under the car and tightening some nuts on the back end of the car...with same result. No noise after the operation, but the car got time to cool down.
This morning all was fine,no noice over same speed bumps I sometimes have the noise, since I had to run back home for about 10 min, and on my way back the noise reappeared after every speed bunps. It wa allready 34 C outside at 7.30 AM.

Do you think that the temperature has to do with any of this?..Or is just pure coincidence?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:11 PM

When my car reaches about 17mph or so it makes a funny sound like a wobbly wheel which I think is the ABS sensor kicking in but nothing clunking like mentioned here. I do get the squeak over speed bumps but we do have front struts and not leaf springs so sound is expected for me.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is for sure that I hear the clucking noises from the suspension only after the engine(or the car) gets hot enough. Like after 30 mins of driving.
I have tested the car for the past 2 days on the issue. Is getting hotter over here ( Kuwait) ...about 42 C in the day.
I'll take the car to Nissan on Saturday for the check.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM

FWIW mine only happens when it is hot outside. Operating temperature has no bearing on the noise.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Hi guys just an FYI on the front suspension noise.Mines a 09 max not affected by the recall but still does it.The noise happens in the front right wheel area when you accelerate or turn right and most noticeable when going over a speed bump slowly on the downside.Nissan has replaced strut,bearing and insulator on both left and right sides as it still made noise after initial right side fix(you could hear it in left side after that).It still made the noise after these 2 fixes.Took it back and now they feel they have found out what is wrong(what dustin said in his post),once I get it back and if it stops I'll post what was done on the invoice.I know this is common problem on all 09-10 max's.oh yes and also the car had to run for awhile before it started making noises!! never did it when the car was cold or short trips!!!!!

Last edited by goog67; 07-21-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM

My 2010 max (Sept 2009 Build date) had a similar issue. I was aware of the front strut insulators making noise, however my clunking noise from the left front suspension was resolved via Nissan TSB# NTB10-020 "2009-2010 Maxima; Creaking/Groaning or rubbing noise from front strut area". Basically they have to swap out the upper tube assy on the upper portion of the coil and also replaced the rod bearing at the same time. After this, no more noise. Took two trips to my dealer to get it fixed under warranty (just had this done last Friday, where they kindly misplaced my freakin key!). Hey, at least I got 5 free oil changes and my 7,500 mile service on the house because of it!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 AM

Its the brakes, I had them complete the insolator tsb and did nothing, they dissambled the front brakes, cleaned, lubed, and replaced pads all for free. Hasnt made the noise since
Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by TRANZPORTA
i hear something similar when first pulling off.
I HEAR THAT TOO; right when the door locks are locking up... i hear 3-4 knows and then everything is fine. Sometimes its not there.... will present this to my dealer on my first oil change which is coming up soon.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV

same happens to me 2010 model.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knocking type noise...front end