7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Stillen Exhaust Rusting

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
A stainless steel exhaust should be just that - STAINLESS STEEL - and from the images of that exhaust = none of that tubing is really stainless - (look a at a Harley Davidson's mufflers and pipes - exposed fully to the weather - and not a bit of RUST... stainless doesn't oxidize 'red' it's different...

He paid for Stainless Steel - he should have Stainless Steel
The problem with that analogy is that Harley's pipes have been chromed. Two different things. Chrome would rust from the inside out, not outside in.

Edit: By analogy I mean comparison. Ugh rough afternoon don't ask.

Last edited by Mreim769; 03-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 PM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Thank you very much.. Exactly, I paid for SS and thats what I should have gotten.
As I said in my post... your expectations are wrong... plain and simple...

http://www.blaisebox.com/merlyn/DSC03680.JPG
http://www.blaisebox.com/merlyn/DSC03681.JPG

My stainless steel exhaust (Cattman) I would NEVER call Cattman up and say that he sold me ****... His exhaust worked awesome, fit correct and did its job. It isn't a show piece it is a functional piece... The purpose of stainless steel is to NOT rust through, not to look pretty.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Merlyn
As I said in my post... your expectations are wrong... plain and simple...

http://www.blaisebox.com/merlyn/DSC03680.JPG
http://www.blaisebox.com/merlyn/DSC03681.JPG

My stainless steel exhaust (Cattman) I would NEVER call Cattman up and say that he sold me ****... His exhaust worked awesome, fit correct and did its job. It isn't a show piece it is a functional piece... The purpose of stainless steel is to NOT rust through, not to look pretty.
I could really care less... It is the principal of it; their web site only states that they use T304 SS; nothing is ever mentioned about 409 SS except in the email (false advertising).

If I wanted an exhaust that was going to rust (surface or completely) I would have just kept my factory exhaust on.

It does not fit perfectly because it is slightly crooked / off angle, and when they shipped it to me they left out one gasket for w.e. reason.

I paid good money for a system that I expect would not rust as much as this has... Like I've said numerous times if I knew it was going to rust this bad I would never have purchased it because there is just no point when I could have had someone custom build one.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Maybe it's that fat gut in the way...

I love the fact that he thinks your being slanderous about Stillen, noting defamatory was stated against Stillen in this thread.
Ya I know tell me about it... From the beginning all I did was state the issue that I was having and posted the email that I sent and received to and from Stillen. The issue has yet to be resolved yet so I have not determined anything yet.

UPDATE: Sorry guys speaking of updates I did forget to mention that after 7 days of not getting a reply from Chuck I went ahead and called Stillen today. I spoke to someone in technical support who transfered me to Chuck and after about 2 minutes the tech came back on the line and said that "he is busy at the moment but will call you in no more than an hour". Well and 1.5hr later I called them back up and I got ahold of Margaret Lo; she stated that it is unusual for anyone not to get a reply back within a day or two and said that it may be due to the fact that Chuck is actually going to upper management at Stillen to find a way to resolve the issue. Margaret will keep in touch with me and let me know as to what is going on with this situation so I guess all is looking good so far after my second email to Stillen so I will keep you all informed as I find out more information on this issue.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 PM

Ya I know tell me about it... From the beginning all I did was state the issue that I was having and posted the email that I sent and received to and from Stillen. The issue has yet to be resolved yet so I have not determined anything yet.

UPDATE: Sorry guys speaking of updates I did forget to mention that after 7 days of not getting a reply from Chuck I went ahead and called Stillen today. I spoke to someone in technical support who transfered me to Chuck and after about 2 minutes the tech came back on the line and said that "he is busy at the moment but will call you in no more than an hour". Well and 1.5hr later I called them back up and I got ahold of Margaret Lo; she stated that it is unusual for anyone not to get a reply back within a day or two and said that it may be due to the fact that Chuck is actually going to upper management at Stillen to find a way to resolve the issue. Margaret will keep in touch with me and let me know as to what is going on with this situation so I guess all is looking good so far after my second email to Stillen so I will keep you all informed as I find out more information on this issue.
That's wonderful news!! Maybe you need to convince them to develop a true 100% T304 SS system and you can test it for them!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 PM

That's wonderful news!! Maybe you need to convince them to develop a true 100% T304 SS system and you can test it for them!
Very true when the call or email me I will bring that up with them to see if they would be able to. They already have the mold or w.e. they use to develop the systems so it shouldn't be to hard lol.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 PM

Very true when the call or email me I will bring that up with them to see if they would be able to. They already have the mold or w.e. they use to develop the systems so it shouldn't be to hard lol.
Any maybe this time around they could build a true high performance exhaust I would pay big dollars for that...
Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 PM

Any maybe this time around they could build a true high performance exhaust I would pay big dollars for that...
Agreed, I would pay for that as well... I will have to bring that up for sure and see what can be done.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:43 AM

would have never thought of Stillen using the wrong SS on the tips... THe tips... man that really sucks. its like they used the low end SS for everything really.

There is a good reason I never got any SS products from them to start. Didnt trust it. I went with nismo on my 6th gen.

gl getting this replaced or something.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Who in the Northeast can take a picture of your STOCK exhaust system, you must have had your Max (7th Gen) for the last 15 months.

Please post some pictures let's compare stock to Stillen....
BUMP...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by DoHaste
would have never thought of Stillen using the wrong SS on the tips... THe tips... man that really sucks. its like they used the low end SS for everything really.

There is a good reason I never got any SS products from them to start. Didnt trust it. I went with nismo on my 6th gen.

gl getting this replaced or something.
I would never have thought that Stillen would have done this either... If there company is basically exhaust and SS products you think that they would use materials that did not rust especially at the welds.

Thanx man I have a feeling that I am going to need it, lol.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM

Good luck with that. I dealt with Margaret and went a couple weeks with no response from them despite her stating they would get back to me several times. I later got one email and when I tried responding to that never got another response from anyone. I also called and only was able to leave voice mails. Horrible CS.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
The problem with that analogy is that Harley's pipes have been chromed. Two different things. Chrome would rust from the inside out, not outside in.

Edit: By analogy I mean comparison. Ugh rough afternoon don't ask.
I should have specified...
"Defenders are constructed from Highly Polished, Corrosion Proof 304 Stainless Steel with Beautifully Chromed Full Coverage Heat Shields"

The actual pipe IS Stainless Steel - the HEAT SHIELD is Chrome.

Either way he paid for Stainless Steel, and from the photos he posted - that is not Stainless Steel.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by marjen
Good luck with that. I dealt with Margaret and went a couple weeks with no response from them despite her stating they would get back to me several times. I later got one email and when I tried responding to that never got another response from anyone. I also called and only was able to leave voice mails. Horrible CS.
Well trust me I plan to keep on calling and calling them over and over again until I get the response that I am looking for which is a "Better Replacement" that is true Stainless Steel and will not rust at least at the welds and in the piping. I am sure that I can clean the mufflers and the tips but the weld spots as well as the pips should not have any rust on them what so ever.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM

Maybe you'll need to resort to this: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

And maybe they'll work with you to get this resolved in a satisfactorily manner.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM

Maybe you'll need to resort to this: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

And maybe they'll work with you to get this resolved in a satisfactorily manner.
Thank you for that link, I may just have to resort to that.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Called back today after not getting a call AGAIN for a while; Spoke to Margaret and she said that Josh was suppose to call me back (he talked with upper management) but is on vacation until tomorrow (great that they keep me waiting someone else could have contacted me). She said she dosn't know what they planned on doing (might be giving me stuff to clean the exhaust and see if that works) but said that Josh was going to give me a call tomorrow sometime during the day.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:26 PM

UPDATE: Well never got a call back from Josh as I was told that I was suppose to TODAY! Just sent an email to Stillen giving them one last chance to call me back by tomorrow 5pm EST otherwise I am going to go ahead and process a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. For those of you thank don't know Stillen is an associated company and approved by the BBB so I am not sure what reporting them is going to do to their association with the BBB but at this point thats on them.

Here is the email that I sent to Margaret Lo:

Margaret,

I was expecting a phone call Josh today which I never got and at this point I am tired with the run around that I have been having with you guys at Stillen. I do not know who is at fault for this lack of communication and for a better word Customer Service. I have spent to much money at Stillen and have helped to set up group deal through you getting people to purchase products through you to receive such poor poor customer service. Fact of the matter is that I am not happy with my product what so ever, I am not happy with the customer service that has been provided to me either. I will wait for a phone call from Josh tomorrow up until 5pm EST after that I will be filing a formal complain with the Better Business Bureaus .

At this point the choice is up to your team to get ahold of me or I will proceed with processing a complaint. I have all necessary documents to prove my case with the BBB so hopefully I do not have to reach that point with them.

I do however thank you for your assistance; although it took me quite some time to call back yesterday I do understand that you may have had to wait for a response through upper management so that is fine. At the same time you are THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS RETURNED MY CALLS / EMAILS.

Thank you,
Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 PM

UPDATE: Well never got a call back from Josh as I was told that I was suppose to TODAY! Just sent an email to Stillen giving them one last chance to call me back by tomorrow 5pm EST otherwise I am going to go ahead and process a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. For those of you thank don't know Stillen is an associated company and approved by the BBB so I am not sure what reporting them is going to do to their association with the BBB but at this point thats on them.

Here is the email that I sent to Margaret Lo:

Margaret,

I was expecting a phone call Josh today which I never got and at this point I am tired with the run around that I have been having with you guys at Stillen. I do not know who is at fault for this lack of communication and for a better word Customer Service. I have spent to much money at Stillen and have helped to set up group deal through you getting people to purchase products through you to receive such poor poor customer service. Fact of the matter is that I am not happy with my product what so ever, I am not happy with the customer service that has been provided to me either. I will wait for a phone call from Josh tomorrow up until 5pm EST after that I will be filing a formal complain with the Better Business Bureaus .

At this point the choice is up to your team to get ahold of me or I will proceed with processing a complaint. I have all necessary documents to prove my case with the BBB so hopefully I do not have to reach that point with them.

I do however thank you for your assistance; although it took me quite some time to call back yesterday I do understand that you may have had to wait for a response through upper management so that is fine. At the same time you are THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS RETURNED MY CALLS / EMAILS.

Thank you,
Well it won't hurt their relationship with the BBB, what is supposed to happen is to help facilitate a mutual arbitration between both parties to resolve the issue. I think Stillen will do just that, I also think maybe with Josh just getting back from vacation he has a lot on his "to do" list and that you'll get your call shortly. I know when I get back from vacation I'm slammed for the first week just catching up. Just my thoughts...

Best,

Mike
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 PM

Well it won't hurt their relationship with the BBB, what is supposed to happen is to help facilitate a mutual arbitration between both parties to resolve the issue. I think Stillen will do just that, I also think maybe with Josh just getting back from vacation he has a lot on his "to do" list and that you'll get your call shortly. I know when I get back from vacation I'm slammed for the first week just catching up. Just my thoughts...

Best,

Mike
Ya I know what you mean. Also coming back from vacation I can see where your coming from as well. Its not that I am upset with him not contact me (I know thats how it reads), I am upset that I was told that I was going to 1-get a call today, 2-that no one else could have contacted me during the time that Josh was on vacation, and 3-their crappy customer service.

Thanx for clarifying what I typed up for me and everyone else who decides to read to. (Not trying to be sarcastic)
Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Ya I know what you mean. Also coming back from vacation I can see where your coming from as well. Its not that I am upset with him not contact me (I know thats how it reads), I am upset that I was told that I was going to 1-get a call today, 2-that no one else could have contacted me during the time that Josh was on vacation, and 3-their crappy customer service.

Thanx for clarifying what I typed up for me and everyone else who decides to read to. (Not trying to be sarcastic)
Actually we had a discussion regarding everything late in the office around 7pm.. and out of respect for your timezone the Customer Service Manager didn't want to ring you at would have been 10pm at night.

Expect a call first thing tomorrow morning.

I do apologize for not getting back with you, and there was some confusion with Margaret that I before leaving had some information, which wasn't the case.

We're very much a part of this community, and want to resolve everything as much as possible.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
Actually we had a discussion regarding everything late in the office around 7pm.. and out of respect for your timezone the Customer Service Manager didn't want to ring you at would have been 10pm at night.

Expect a call first thing tomorrow morning.

I do apologize for not getting back with you, and there was some confusion with Margaret that I before leaving had some information, which wasn't the case.

We're very much a part of this community, and want to resolve everything as much as possible.
Great thank you very much Josh. I can see where you are coming from with the time zone and you have no way of knowing tag I'm up till like 2 everyday. I will be up aroud 10am est 7am ur time I believe so I should be answering my phone when ever who ever calls. Thanx for dropping in and also for helpij me out with this issue.

Kam
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM

UPDATE

Hello everyone I just wanted to give everyone an update on a phone call that I had with Chuck earlier this morning.

1st off he was very nice over the phone I was very please with the customer service today that I will not took a while to get to but much much better.

2nd I wanted to relay the information to you that was provided to me that there was in face a mix up with the marketing department. Josh, Chuck, Marketing, and Management had a meeting yesterday about this concern and this is what the determined on a marketing point of view in Chucks words "Since 2004 our kits have been a combination of 304 and 409 stainless steel and on our web site the marketing team has just been copying and pasting old information for the new kits and not updating them to show 409 stainless steel" basically that is a sum of what he said.

3rd I was able to find out that the only part that is 309 on our exhaust kit as well as other new exhaust kits are the tip and supposedly the weld marks. Chuck brought up that my kit does seem to have a lot of "surface rust" on it and when I brought up the weld mark near the tips rusting is did say that it should not be like that. He said that there was probably a mix up with the welding sticks that they were using. Now the mufflers are polished 409 so even though they are 409 they are polished therefore they are not going to rush although the will collect lots of road grime so you should clean those off when you have chances to do so.

4th At the moment I will not be getting a new kit from Stillen because it would probably have the same issues. I am having some Adams polish shipped to me that I ordered after being told that that may help to see if in fact it does help me with the issue that I am having.

I was very pleased with the customer service today although I was hoping to get a new exhaust system that is not going to rust I am willing to take a chance and see what can be done by using the Adams polish in attempt to clean the exhaust system.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM

I hate to stir the pot here but IME metal polish would not work on what I can see of your muffler and like. You might have to step it up to sanding before the polish but I don't know if that is something you would want to do in this situation.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
I hate to stir the pot here but IME metal polish would not work on what I can see of your muffler and like. You might have to step it up to sanding before the polish but I don't know if that is something you would want to do in this situation.
Ya I know that it probably isn't going to work but I figured if I can prove that that dosnt work then that is more of a case just to show that the damage to to the metal is worse than it looks.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 PM

UPDATE

Hello everyone I just wanted to give everyone an update on a phone call that I had with Chuck earlier this morning.

1st off he was very nice over the phone I was very please with the customer service today that I will not took a while to get to but much much better.

2nd I wanted to relay the information to you that was provided to me that there was in face a mix up with the marketing department. Josh, Chuck, Marketing, and Management had a meeting yesterday about this concern and this is what the determined on a marketing point of view in Chucks words "Since 2004 our kits have been a combination of 304 and 409 stainless steel and on our web site the marketing team has just been copying and pasting old information for the new kits and not updating them to show 409 stainless steel" basically that is a sum of what he said.

3rd I was able to find out that the only part that is 309 on our exhaust kit as well as other new exhaust kits are the tip and supposedly the weld marks. Chuck brought up that my kit does seem to have a lot of "surface rust" on it and when I brought up the weld mark near the tips rusting is did say that it should not be like that. He said that there was probably a mix up with the welding sticks that they were using. Now the mufflers are polished 409 so even though they are 409 they are polished therefore they are not going to rush although the will collect lots of road grime so you should clean those off when you have chances to do so.

4th At the moment I will not be getting a new kit from Stillen because it would probably have the same issues. I am having some Adams polish shipped to me that I ordered after being told that that may help to see if in fact it does help me with the issue that I am having.

I was very pleased with the customer service today although I was hoping to get a new exhaust system that is not going to rust I am willing to take a chance and see what can be done by using the Adams polish in attempt to clean the exhaust system.
So basically, they just attempted to justify their error in advertising their product without providing a solution to your problem? I don't understand how you are appreciative for the customer service, or lack thereof. It is their duty to reply to your inquiry!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Michael76
So basically, they just attempted to justify their error in advertising their product without providing a solution to your problem? I don't understand how you are appreciative for the customer service, or lack thereof. It is their duty to reply to your inquiry!
By satisfied I basically mean by todays phone call... I am not satisfied with there customer service in general but today was good since I got a call back from them finally, and since they are sending me a product for free to clean the exhaust to see if that works. If that doesn't work then I will call them back and take things from there.

Sorry I should have made that point more clear.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 AM

So they made you pay for the polish?

I donno man, to each his own, but if I spent money on that exhaust and it was rusting like that - surface or not - I would be requesting a refund and the stock exhaust would be back on... That one can rust all it wants...

Saying that it was an advertising error or that 'they musta used the wrong welding sticks' is a complete cop-out. I've talked to Chuck before too (my legendary spoilers) and he is a real nice, down to earth, shoot it straight guy - but this situation seems pretttty rediculous to me and I am very glad I'm not a part of it Good luck sorting it out bro.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
So they made you pay for the polish?

I donno man, to each his own, but if I spent money on that exhaust and it was rusting like that - surface or not - I would be requesting a refund and the stock exhaust would be back on... That one can rust all it wants...

Saying that it was an advertising error or that 'they musta used the wrong welding sticks' is a complete cop-out. I've talked to Chuck before too (my legendary spoilers) and he is a real nice, down to earth, shoot it straight guy - but this situation seems pretttty rediculous to me and I am very glad I'm not a part of it Good luck sorting it out bro.
No Stillen is sending me the polish free of charge to see if that helps to clean up anything.

If that dosn't work out then I will be giving Chuck a call back and will be taking things from there. To be honest with you though I doubt that its worth taking the exhaust off and putting the factory one back on because I like the sound of the Stillen exhaust and I paid to put it on. Even if Stillen refunded me the money for the exhaust I'd have to pay to put the factory one back on and then I would have a crappy sounding factor exhaust on my car so idk if it would be worth it. Now if Stillen partially refunded me the money maybe I can go and have it powder coated somewhere
Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 AM

No Stillen is sending me the polish free of charge to see if that helps to clean up anything.

If that dosn't work out then I will be giving Chuck a call back and will be taking things from there. To be honest with you though I doubt that its worth taking the exhaust off and putting the factory one back on because I like the sound of the Stillen exhaust and I paid to put it on. Even if Stillen refunded me the money for the exhaust I'd have to pay to put the factory one back on and then I would have a crappy sounding factor exhaust on my car so idk if it would be worth it. Now if Stillen partially refunded me the money maybe I can go and have it powder coated somewhere
Actually that's not a bad idea. If a in a year or two from now there are no other exhausts out, I will probably either have one custom made or get the STILLEN, powdercoat it, lop off the tips and put some good looking ones on there.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stillens website still lists the exhaust system as 304SS no mention of 409SS in any part of the exhaust. It would seem that since it is now known that marketing made a mistake then they would change the product discription unless they wish to continue to falsely advertise there product. Either that or is was just a story to try and get you off there backs and they have known all along
Old 03-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gturbine
Stillens website still lists the exhaust system as 304SS no mention of 409SS in any part of the exhaust. It would seem that since it is now known that marketing made a mistake then they would change the product discription unless they wish to continue to falsely advertise there product. Either that or is was just a story to try and get you off there backs and they have known all along
Ya ik i've been checking and taking screen shots of it on a daily basis pretty much..
Old 03-27-2010, 07:20 PM

WHO ELSE IS HAVING THIS ISSUE WITH THEIR STILLEN EXHAUSTS?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Remember Chio was the first to report this problem and he went back to OEM...

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...-back-oem.html
Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 PM

Read this forum: http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8111
Old 04-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Well guys after getting my SS cleaning solution from Stillen and taking a whack at it i've come to the conclusion that there is nothing that is going to clean the exhaust system.

It helped to take some surface rust off but the surface rust did eat through somewhat on the polished mufflers. The piping was impossible to clean, and the weld marks are untouchable there is nothing to take all that built up rust off of what are suppose to be 304 SS welds.

I sent an email to Stillen requesting a true SS product or a full refund of my money as well as the install.

DO NOT BUT THE STILLEN EXHAUST EITHER CATBACK OR THE BACK PORTION WILL RUST AND THEY ARE NOT ADVERTISING THEIR PRODUCT CORRECTLY.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to read about your problem with the exhaust. I was planning to get this product, but not any more!!! If that makes you feel better. I would be furious if I bought a SS exhaust and I started to rust like that. That pipe between the cat and muffler has serious rust on it. Makes me think this exhaust is made in India like the man hole covers.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by KT88
Sorry to read about your problem with the exhaust. I was planning to get this product, but not any more!!! If that makes you feel better. I would be furious if I bought a SS exhaust and I started to rust like that. That pipe between the cat and muffler has serious rust on it. Makes me think this exhaust is made in India like the man hole covers.
Borla is in development....

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...velopment.html
Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 AM

Couldn't have come at a better time!!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by KT88
Very wise choice not to purchase it Thats why I took ALL Stillen products off of the Accessories thread and why I posted those pictures. Hold out for the Borla Exhaust though, its gonna be awsome

Quick Reply: Stillen Exhaust Rusting