7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WATER in my Mirror Signal Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 PM

about a month ago i washed my car and my drivers mirror led filled up with water so i went to the dealer and they replaced the whole mirror, well today i wash my car and the passanger side mirror had about 1/8 in of water in it .
so does anyone know why its doing this or have anyone had this problem in the past cause i hate to have this happen again and again.
By the way the drivers mirror as had no problem sence the dealer replaced it , hope they can replace this mirror also under warranty.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Wow that really sucks.. I have not yet had that problem that I have noticed yet anyways. Ima keep an eye out one it.

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport
about a month ago i washed my car and my drivers mirror led filled up with water so i went to the dealer and they replaced the whole mirror, well today i wash my car and the passanger side mirror had about 1/8 in of water in it .
so does anyone know why its doing this or have anyone had this problem in the past cause i hate to have this happen again and again.
By the way the drivers mirror as had no problem sence the dealer replaced it , hope they can replace this mirror also under warranty.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:18 PM

About a month ago I had my driver's side mirror replaced for the same reason.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tooruff
so im not the only one
Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tooruff
well i went to the dealer today and they orderd a new mirror for me, will be a week till its in and painted got to love new parts.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 PM

I have had both mirrors replaced because of water condensation in the turn signal lens. Since replacing I have had no problems. Think maybe there is a problem with the factory install or supplied parts to the factory.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same issue here, how much were the parts?

Oh yeah, first post, new Maxima owner!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by brandonjclark
Same issue here, how much were the parts?

Oh yeah, first post, new Maxima owner!
Congrats!

What year Max do you have? Still under warranty?

There are TSBs out on condensation/water accumulating in the light housing. Find NTB03-074f. Talk to the dealer, they will gauge how severe the problem is. If there are droplets larger than some diameter or puddling they will replace under warranty.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM

This is very common with our cars and is covered completely under the 3 year 36,000 warantee from Nissan. I had both of mine replaced a month after I got my car.

-Diego
Nissan Service Advisor
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM

I'm having the same problem in both of my mirrors. After it rains, the turn signals flash very quickly until the lens dries out, then it's back to normal. About 1/4" of water in the d/s mirror as we speak and it hasn't rained in over a week.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:10 PM

mirrors

well i went to the dealer today and they orderd a new mirror for me, will be a week till its in and painted got to love new parts.
I think you will find out they don't paint the mirrors, I have had both of mine replaced for moisture in the led's. They replaced the innerds of the mirror and left the outer shell, that way they don't mess up the paint. ALSO that mirror is $400 bucks and that isn't including installing.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by sonomamax
I think you will find out they don't paint the mirrors, I have had both of mine replaced for moisture in the led's. They replaced the innerds of the mirror and left the outer shell, that way they don't mess up the paint. ALSO that mirror is $400 bucks and that isn't including installing.
Mine were painted. Came out pretty good too.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 AM

On my 2012 both mirrors had to be replaced. Once done, the problem hasnt come back but I still keep an eye on them. Must have been an issue that they discovered and fixed since most owners are saying that the replacements were fine. I believe on mine they just ordered the mirrors in the color they needed.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Blackmax12
On my 2012 both mirrors had to be replaced. Once done, the problem hasnt come back but I still keep an eye on them. Must have been an issue that they discovered and fixed since most owners are saying that the replacements were fine. I believe on mine they just ordered the mirrors in the color they needed.
The replacement mirrors come from Nissan all wired and housed in the mirror assembly, which is semi-primed but not painted. They are then shipped to the appropriate service facility, a Nissan dealership if it is a warranty replacement. The service facility then sends them out to the body shop they most frequently do business with (or paints them in house if they are equipped). They then call you and tell you to bring your car in. It takes about 30 minutes to replace both. It's actually very easy, I was able to watch them do mine.

They wouldn't let me keep the old ones as they needed to be returned to Nissan to substantiate the warranty claim.

Most body parts for cars don't come pre-painted for obvious reasons. They are shipped to the site and painted locally.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Mine were ordered for next day delivery and then put on. Maybe they used the original shell?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blackmax12
Mine were ordered for next day delivery and then put on. Maybe they used the original shell?
That's completely possible.

One service advisor at Attleboro Nissan said they were only going to replace the 'innards.'

The actual (senior) service advisor I was dealing with told me it was easier (but more expensive - though not for me because it was warranty work) to replace the entire unit.

I'm 100% certain the entire unit was replaced on mine because
A. there was a significant scratch on my driver side mirror, that is no longer there
B. I watched them unpack the box (from the body shop) that the new mirrors came in
C. I watched them physically take off my old mirrors and put on the new ones
D. I helped them put my old mirror units in the box to be sent to NISSAN
Old 05-25-2013, 05:54 PM

My 2010 was purchased in March 2010; now has 38,000 miles on it. I have recently noticed moisture inside the mirror signals and sometimes only some of the leds work or flash sporadically... Any advice on how to approach this issue with the dealer with the car being 2 months/2k miles out of warranty? Are TSB's preformed out of warranty for free?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by zman764
My 2010 was purchased in March 2010; now has 38,000 miles on it. I have recently noticed moisture inside the mirror signals and sometimes only some of the leds work or flash sporadically... Any advice on how to approach this issue with the dealer with the car being 2 months/2k miles out of warranty? Are TSB's preformed out of warranty for free?
Have an extended warranty ?

Definitely sounds like this was an issue that's existed for a while. Just tell the dealership the truth, the worst thing that'll happen is they'll give you a quote for the work.

You can then grab the part numbers and do the swap yourself or get an independent shop to do it.

It ll be cheaper if you buy the part online though.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 PM

I've been thinking about doing this myself ... I really don't like my dealership and won't pay them for anything ... But if these types of things are routinely done for free outside of warranty id let them have it. Has anyone made a write up for this?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Condensation in the mirror again

I'm having the Nissan dealer replace the driver's side mirror for the second time. I had the driver and passenger side mirrors replaced last year. The passenger mirror side has held up so far.

Last edited by madmax17; 05-26-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just Bought Pre-Owned With Ext Warrenty

Just Bought Pre-Owned With Ext Warrenty And i noticed the same issue. I asked the sales person about it and he said its a common issue and played it off as (they're made in mexico)

Should/Could i get these replaced for free under the extended bumper to bumper warrenty?

They havent even delivered the car to me yet...its set to be delivered this weds

This is the actual car. Driver side mirror has the moisture in it.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cloud9j
Just Bought Pre-Owned With Ext Warrenty And i noticed the same issue. I asked the sales person about it and he said its a common issue and played it off as (they're made in mexico)

Should/Could i get these replaced for free under the extended bumper to bumper warrenty?

They havent even delivered the car to me yet...its set to be delivered this weds

This is the actual car. Driver side mirror has the moisture in it.
How much is your deductible?
Old 08-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mikekay
How much is your deductible?
I have no idea but i have a value at new additional insurance i purchased on top of my extended warrenty which is supposed to cover deductables.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cloud9j
I have no idea but i have a value at new additional insurance i purchased on top of my extended warrenty which is supposed to cover deductables.
Then do it up -- theres no reason not too, then go from there based on if they will cover or not you can get other mirror signals -- search around.

It's tricky but they can be swapped without having to do the whole mirror.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM

For those of us out of warranty you don't have to buy a whole new mirror. Simply pop off the cover and mirror and unscrew the unit. It will unplug from the back of the lens. The turn signals from the 07-12 Altima are the exact same thing and they sell the part individually. It will not be listed under 09-13 Maxima but here are the part numbers. I went through thick and thin to figure this out.

NISSAN 26442ZX50A - Passenger side
NISSAN 26443ZX50A - Drivers side

These part numbers are the entire led/lens assembly. It's not a terrible idea to bake apart the new units, clean out the OEM adhesive, and use a good quality silicon sealant to adhere them back together.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:31 PM

I wish someone had a good write up on popping the covers and mirror lens off. I saw the old write up, which leaves a lot to be desired. Its tough to figure out how to pop the cover off, where the tabs are located etc.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:38 PM

just had mine replaced last week. this is the second time for my driver side. the first time it was because of condensation, however just recently the driver side turn signal weren't working at all. so the the dealer replaced under warranty thank god. they claim the motor went out so the replacement would be free. just keep an eye out on these mirrors. price 358.00 per Mirror, Install 88.00 crazy only takes about 10-15 min per side lol that's including popping off the shell to put onto the new mirror assemblies.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tramel
just had mine replaced last week. this is the second time for my driver side. the first time it was because of condensation, however just recently the driver side turn signal weren't working at all. so the the dealer replaced under warranty thank god. they claim the motor went out so the replacement would be free. just keep an eye out on these mirrors. price 358.00 per Mirror, Install 88.00 crazy only takes about 10-15 min per side lol that's including popping off the shell to put onto the new mirror assemblies.
Same replaced passenger side last week slight build up on the drivers side now. I have a feeling I'll be doing this a lot until I hit my 3/36000
Old 12-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan Dealer wouldn't warranty

I have a 2014 Maxima still under warranty, took it to the dealer and they pretty much said"sorry about ya". This really made me disappointed in Nissan Service, can someone help me??

Concerned customer
Old 12-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxima717
This is very common with our cars and is covered completely under the 3 year 36,000 warantee from Nissan. I had both of mine replaced a month after I got my car.

-Diego
Nissan Service Advisor
Nissan Dealer wouldn't warranty
I have a 2014 Maxima still under warranty, took it to the dealer and they pretty much said"sorry about ya". This really made me disappointed in Nissan Service, can someone help me??
Old 12-22-2015, 07:51 PM

Why did they say it was not covered by warranty?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:36 PM

My 2014 already has some water in the passenger side LED, and I am not to happy about it. I don't like my dealership, and I do not want a mirror that will have to be painted. Sorry, 99% of body shops are hack idiots who do a poor job and the paint they use is less than OEM standards. Can this be fixed without them having to paint a new mirror for me? Or is this a simple fix that I can do? I would prefer to myself actually.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2014Maxima
My 2014 already has some water in the passenger side LED, and I am not to happy about it. I don't like my dealership, and I do not want a mirror that will have to be painted. Sorry, 99% of body shops are hack idiots who do a poor job and the paint they use is less than OEM standards. Can this be fixed without them having to paint a new mirror for me? Or is this a simple fix that I can do? I would prefer to myself actually.
The dealership should be able to pop the mirror cover off so there should be no need for new paint.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Water in lights

Originally Posted by Richard66
Why did they say it was not covered by warranty?
They said it was cracked the only place that could have happened was going through the car wash! They said if they sent it in cracked, they wouldn't be reimbursed for the warranty. I treat my car like a baby, it is immaculate. My warranty stated bumper to bumper, obviously this is a defect!
Old 12-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Water in lights

[QUOTE=Missmel1888;9087320 they didn't say it wasn't, they said they wouldn't warranty it because of the cracks, because Nissan wouldn't reimburse them.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:27 PM

One of the exclusions of the 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty is

"Damage caused by any automated or manually operated car wash or by using a pressure washer"
Old 12-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by kruegs
I wish someone had a good write up on popping the covers and mirror lens off. I saw the old write up, which leaves a lot to be desired. Its tough to figure out how to pop the cover off, where the tabs are located etc.
I'd definitely like to see a good write up also if anyone else has done this. I'm not brave enough to attempt it without knowing where to pry at to get the mirror caps off.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 AM

Turn signal write ups

I too would be very interested in the details of how to get to the LED strips without breaking the tabs on the mirror. I still have some warranty left but my dealer tells me that condensation is normal because the lights are "vented", yeah right. Anyway I would like to replace the LED strip and not the entire mirror assembly if I can't get the dealer to do it under warranty.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 PM
dc8

Got the mirrors replaced today under warranty. Had condensation and most of the LEDs were inop. on both mirrors. Interestingly, the new LEDs are yellow.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by dc8
Got the mirrors replaced today under warranty. Had condensation and most of the LEDs were inop. on both mirrors. Interestingly, the new LEDs are yellow.
Do you have pics of the new LEDs, I'm curious how they look

Quick Reply: WATER in my Mirror Signal Lights