7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate Mount Installation??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM

Front License Plate Mount Installation??

I am purchasing a 2010 SV Sport. For some reason an idiot installed the front license plate mount. Front plates are not required in TN so I am not sure why it was installed. Anyways anyone know if it will leave permanent holes in the front face of the bumper? I do not care if it leaves holes on the bottom part. I know in some cars there are 4 screws to install the license plate mount 2 on the front and 2 underneath. Hopefully the maxima has a different one.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM

yea it will. two holes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by anish3232
I am purchasing a 2010 SV Sport. For some reason an idiot installed the front license plate mount. Front plates are not required in TN so I am not sure why it was installed. Anyways anyone know if it will leave permanent holes in the front face of the bumper? I do not care if it leaves holes on the bottom part. I know in some cars there are 4 screws to install the license plate mount 2 on the front and 2 underneath. Hopefully the maxima has a different one.

Thanks
This happened on my '00 SE, so I found two rivets with fairly flat heads that had a shank the same diameter of the holes, sanded and painted the top to match the car, slipped them into the holes, and although a close observer could see the two smooth bumps barely sticking above the face of the bumper, at least there was no longer a pair of empty holes drawing the viewer's attention.

Since then, when it was time to buy another Maxima, I have listed on my 'demand' list (which I give to my internet manager) the stipulation that the front tag holder MUST NOT be installed on this car, and there are to be no holes in the bumper or dealer logos attached to any surface of the car.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:31 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

You guys in your fancy no-front-license-plate states think you are so special. Seriously, I wish Virginia didn't require front plates.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by boone
You guys in your fancy no-front-license-plate states think you are so special. Seriously, I wish Virginia didn't require front plates.
What's the real purpose? It's not like were in europe.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the help. I guess I will just plug the holes. I really why an idiot would install this if its not required and all the other cars on the lot do not have it. The car was NOT a dealer trader either.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can always find a solution to fill the holes here -> http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html
Old 07-28-2010, 06:03 AM

Get a nice looking front license tag...I made mine, but you can get anything online or at the mall...
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Amen Brother!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM

I always remove my front plate here in nj.I never get stopped for it. But since this 1 time I bought a new car the dealer mounted the bracket.

I need those bumper plugs but dont see how to get them for our cars.Icouldnt click the link inside the first link.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM

http://www.bumperplugs.com/orderformpop1.html

Go down about 20 items and it says BumperPlugs

24.95 is expensive though
Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
What's the real purpose? It's not like were in europe.
It really serves little practical purpose. It just makes it easier to run the plates on the car from either direction.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM

It really serves little practical purpose. It just makes it easier to run the plates on the car from either direction.
Unfortunately, there are practical purposes, and I have a feeling there will come a time when all states require both front and rear tags.

Among uses at the high end of the spectrum, there are now amazing devices in use by many police departments that can scan all tags around (front, side or rear) a police cruiser (even tags over sixty feet away) and instantly check many tags per second against a huge data base of wanted numbers. Having no front tag somewhat limits the use of such devices.

In the middle of the spectrum are such situations as a police car rushing to a crime scene where a tag number has been broadcast. There is a reasonable chance he may meet the car with the wanted tag headed the other way, but unless he can read tag numbers backward in his rear view mirror while flying down the road, he would never know he just saw the perp flash by headed the other direction. A front tag changes all that.

Another middle of the spectrum situation is that many officers in police cars on patrol routinely run checks on license tags in parking lots, on the street, and especially cars parked in suspicious places. If the cars are backed in, the officer must get out of his cruiser and walk to the back end of the car to see the tag, wasting time. Perps know this, and often back in for just this reason.

At the very bottom end of the spectrum, many small motel operators routinely have an employee (some owners do this themselves) make a pass through the parking lot around midnight, recording every vehicle tag number in the lot, matching them against the tag numbers guests have entered on the sign-in sheet on arrival. I once had this chore as a teenager. This sometimes helps them recover money when guests try to stiff the motel, and also has been a big help to police in researching some crime cases. But many folks back in at motels, so the chap taking numbers is constantly having to move from one end of vehicles to the other.

There are also other purposes for the front tag, and there will be more states requiring them in the near future, not less.

Looking further into the future, there will eventually be electronic transponders (or similar devices) in all vehicles. These transponders can be triggered and identified from anywhere and everywhere. From a small device hanging from the belt of a policeman strolling by to a satellite in the sky.

This may seem like an invasion of privacy, but it is not. driving is a privilege, and law enforcement has the right to monitor those who choose to use that privilege. Once these electronic identification devices are in full use, the front tag should be dropped by all states, as it will no longer serve any real purpose.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 AM

Technology has replaced the front license plate, AZ had 2 license plates but got rid of them several years ago to save $$. They don't seem to have any problems capturing the rear license plate plus they snap a picture of your face and a very good close-up I may add.

I know California was testing RFID plates and I think that is the future to come not more plates.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you choose the plate frame alternative - these are by far the best ones that I have found -> http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

They look great - fit well, and have a lot of color options - enjoy...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Great thing about living in Nashville, TN (Nissan HQ). Found 2 other White SV Sport + Nav. So I found one without a front license plate bumper installed. Also this one comes with the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A W-rated Summer tires, any reviews on those?

Last edited by anish3232; 07-29-2010 at 10:13 AM.