7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: What fuel do you use in your MAXIMA?
87 Regular
7.61%
89 Mix grade
10.87%
91/92/93 Premium (super) What's on the fuel door
80.80%
Whatever I can afford
3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

What fuel do you use in your MAXIMA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:06 PM

What fuel do you use in your MAXIMA?

Since this is a debatable item lets take a count and see what we get.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM

Premium all the way, although I heard regular does ok.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 PM

93 all the way
Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Always premium and NEVER have I put anything else. Why buy the car if you cannot afford the gas?
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM

93 octane baby
Old 08-02-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
Why buy the car if you cannot afford the gas?
Its not about the cost. I have mentioned before that unless you are in forums or groups you sometimes can go without noticing things. I would not like to see people take offense to the word AFFORD its obvious we can but we don't for whatever reason. I use regular because I cant tell the difference on the short drives I take between the dealership for repairs and the mall or whatever.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
Its not about the cost. I have mentioned before that unless you are in forums or groups you sometimes can go without noticing things. I would not like to see people take offense to the word AFFORD its obvious we can but we don't for whatever reason. I use regular because I cant tell the difference on the short drives I take between the dealership for repairs and the mall or whatever.
what gas you use also determines wear and tear and longevity of the engine, it's not all about performance ... what do you mean by tell the difference?
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Dealer filled up the first tank with regular. Since that first tank....PREMIUM 93 ONLY!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Premium is recommended not required so 89 is fine with me.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Antny74
what gas you use also determines wear and tear and longevity of the engine, it's not all about performance ... what do you mean by tell the difference?
I drive locally and for the most part I don't feel a difference during short drives or long drives. I have tried all three grades and nada. Longevity means nothing to me as this car is going back in 2012 or 13 depends what available by then.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Antny74
what gas you use also determines wear and tear and longevity of the engine, it's not all about performance
I surmise that you are talking about ping and his big brother, knock. Doesn't our engine dial back the timing advance to avoid these deleterious effects?

Other than the above, I can't see how fuel octane and impact the longevity of the engine.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Nissan has the 7th gen Maxima set up for 91 octane, which is the octane found in premium in many parts of the country. Other parts of the country have 93 octane premium. Using 93 octane doesn't hurt a thing, but performs just the same as 91, since 91 is what the car is set up to use.

For most drivers, mid-grade (89 octane) will work as well as premium. There will be no measurable difference in MPG, as octane is more related to performance than to MPG. 89 octane might add a tenth of a second to quarter mile time, but I almost never operate my Maximas (and I have owned nothing else for 26 years) at wide open throttle.

As for regular gas, I am VERY disappointed that we have folks putting regular gas in this car. Such folks have clearly not taken the time to read the owner's manual, and are not familiar with the 7th gen Maxima power plant.

In several cases here where regular was put in by mistake, the results were not good. The car performed poorly, with knocking and pinging. In some cases, the drivers may feel the car is operating fine on regular, but they are not correct.

The car may be able to adjust far enough that there is no pinging or knocking with regular gas in routine driving, but when that large an adjustment in octane has to be made, this car is no longer operating as designed, and is not operating efficiently. Such owners should have purchased an Avalon, where no technical knowledge of the car or how it operates is necessary, and the car will run OK on whatever is put in the tank.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Nissan has the 7th gen Maxima set up for 91 octane, which is the octane found in premium in many parts of the country. Other parts of the country have 93 octane premium. Using 93 octane doesn't hurt a thing, but performs just the same as 91, since 91 is what the car is set up to use.

For most drivers, mid-grade (89 octane) will work as well as premium. There will be no measurable difference in MPG, as octane is more related to performance than to MPG. 89 octane might add a tenth of a second to quarter mile time, but I almost never operate my Maximas (and I have owned nothing else for 26 years) at wide open throttle.

As for regular gas, I am VERY disappointed that we have folks putting regular gas in this car. Such folks have clearly not taken the time to read the owner's manual, and are not familiar with the 7th gen Maxima power plant.

In several cases here where regular was put in by mistake, the results were not good. The car performed poorly, with knocking and pinging. In some cases, the drivers may feel the car is operating fine on regular, but they are not correct.

The car may be able to adjust far enough that there is no pinging or knocking with regular gas in routine driving, but when that large an adjustment in octane has to be made, this car is no longer operating as designed, and is not operating efficiently. Such owners should have purchased an Avalon, where no technical knowledge of the car or how it operates is necessary, and the car will run OK on whatever is put in the tank.
I have been putting 93 since there are no 91 stations in my area. However after reading your post, and I have been reading many things you have commented on and find your experience and technicality to be on point, I will fill up on 89 going forward. If I feel a difference I will switch back.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 PM

I use premium bc, my friend had a g37s, always put reg and long story short he had to have his motor replaced under warranty. Im 100% sure that the low octane levels had something to do with that.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 PM

93 octane. I have run this ever since I did several comparisons (ensuring I ran a couple tanks of each before doing any calculations) and noticed a 1-2 mile per gallon difference in fuel economy. I also want to make sure I get the most power possible
Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 PM

To this:
My point in better words: (thanks light)

Last edited by Flip2cho; 08-02-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM

5.5gen here and always used 91 octane in Cali no 93 only 87 89 91 odd how they jumped from 89 to 93 in other states, if I put 87 in the car it goes to quick like what the F%^k!! Maybe with the new 10' more better on the mpg!!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM

I've heard some people say that they have used mid-grade in their Max and it works fine without any reductions, but I only have used Shell 93 Premium! Not only does my Maxima, likey likey, but the difference between 93 and 89 at Shell where I live is only about 10 cents so I'd don't mind spending the 1-2 bucks more each week for 93 that I would save getting only 89.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM

What kind of MPG's are you guys getting on your Max?! I range between 20-21 but no where near the 25-26 others have said they're getting.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:47 PM

To this:

My point in better words: (thanks light)
Agreed its a poll not a bashing to each their own. The purpose of this is to give Googlers and forum members a inside look to what others are doing and guide them to their own choice.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 PM

My take on this issue is that the true cost is dollars/mile. I get 2-3 MPG (roughly 10%) better fuel mileage with 91 octane. Therefore, if 91 octane costs less than 10% more than 87 octane the cost per mile is a break-even proposition. Additional benefits of running 91 octane are better seat-of-the-pants performance and an extended driving range. I usually buy 91 octane for my 2009 Maxima but wouldn't hesitate to run regular if it's convenient. This is exactly the strategy I used with my 97 Max SE and it ran 200,000 miles without problems until I wrecked it.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Eventhough I consider myself a well educated man and quite handy in the garage, I am NOT an automotive engineer, so I heed the warnings/advice contained in the owner's manual. If I HAVE to use something other than premium (yeah, it happened once) I only put in enough to take me to the next station that DOES have premium. Of course this comes from years of the mantra that it is always acceptable to put in a higher grade (but perhaps economically unwise,) never a lower. Having said that, I am quite sure that there may have been a time when a mistake occured and what was on the pump wasn't what was in the tank, but I am quick to take notice of how my 09 is performing, keep the pedal light, and do "multiple top offs" from other stations if required.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jlguru
My take on this issue is that the true cost is dollars/mile. I get 2-3 MPG (roughly 10%) better fuel mileage with 91 octane. Therefore, if 91 octane costs less than 10% more than 87 octane the cost per mile is a break-even proposition. Additional benefits of running 91 octane are better seat-of-the-pants performance and an extended driving range. I usually buy 91 octane for my 2009 Maxima but wouldn't hesitate to run regular if it's convenient. This is exactly the strategy I used with my 97 Max SE and it ran 200,000 miles without problems until I wrecked it.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry
Unfortunately, the difference in premium and midgrade varys from 15 to 30 cents per gallon around where I live. Making the situation worse is that I measure EXACTLY THE SAME MPG WITH EITHER PREMIUM OR MIDGRADE.

Lab tests over the past thirty years by car mags, Consumer Reports, etc, tend to prove the scientific premise that octane affects PERFORMANCE, but has NO APPRECIABLE AFFECT ON MPG. I doubted that until I read details of the tests.

I have tried measuring for myself, and in the 26 years I have owned nothing but Maximas, I used only premium gas the first 18 months I owned each Maxima, then switched to mid-grade. In every case, my MPG stayed the same with either octane.

Consumer Reports went so far as to say that only a faulty means of measuring MPG would show any appreciable increase of MPG with an increase in octane. Better performance? No argument. Appreciably better MPG? Either faulty measurement method or math error.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 AM

Agreed its a poll not a bashing to each their own. The purpose of this is to give Googlers and forum members a inside look to what others are doing and guide them to their own choice.
I'm not trying to bash anyone IH8SPM, especially you, your one of my friends. I've done everything for this car by the book (well everything but ester oil). That includes break in period and everything. I even changed my oil three times before 3k miles. From what I read here and what the owners manual and gas lid say, I've only put premium in my baby. Maybe I should have choosen different words because I know you can AFFORD premium. You have two Maximas for crying out loud! So your right, I would like to take back the word AFFORD and use the word FRUGAL instead.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by smarty666
I only have used Shell 93 Premium!.
Only when you don't make the mistake of letting an idiot pump your gas haha
Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 AM

... affects PERFORMANCE, but has NO APPRECIABLE AFFECT ON MPG.
How do you separate "performance" from "mpg" except in a laboratory? Seems to me the two are directly related and that if octane affects performance then it must also affect mpg. I seldom drive my cars under laboratory test conditions. I do know that when my car runs better, I tend to use less gas pedal to get where I'm going. That translates directly to better mpg.

BTW - My testing methods may be less than rigorous, but I'd bet on the math calcs

Live long, and prosper
Jerry
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have been a premium only user since my first Max in 1997 - and NO ETHANOL - now I have noticed that Phillips and Shell are adding 10% Ethanol to their Premium (91 Octane) fuels. The only brand that doesn't appears to be BP - anyone else notice this? And what is the opinion on the ethanol addition??
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 AM

93 all the way, especially with my 2* timing advance.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:18 AM

An engine's instantaneous octane requirement is somewhat a function of how much load is being demanded of it, as well as the rpms and ignition timing. Obviously, a 91 octane recommendation is considering some worst-case (or worst commonly encountered case) scenario here, which is why you can get away with using fuel of lesser octane if your driving is always more conservative than that anticipated by Nissan.

But since we don't know what Nissan's criteria were - or what their test drive cycle was, or much about the knock sensor (sensitivity, tolerance, etc.), or even how the engine's octane requirement varies as a function of its age/mileage - we really don't ever
know how far away any of our individual driving is from absolutely requiring 91 unless you actually hear it ping. Any PCM "learning" capability represents yet another influence.

I'd like to think that the CVT's "ratio" schedule (almost said "shift") is sufficiently refined to avoid leaving you lugging the engine (the avoidance of ping or knock while "lugging" is one of the conditions having the most severe octane requirements).

Higher octane is not beneficial, and there is some evidence to suggest that consistently running more octane than recommended will actually increase the output of pollutants.

FWIW and as far as I know, our 5th Gen has always been fed at least 91 octane. 92 in places where that was the premium grade, and perhaps a couple of times with 93, but not generally. I didn't answer the poll to avoid "contaminating" it with a data point for platforms other than the 7th Gen.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-03-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:33 AM

BP Premium
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 AM

I've only been using Shell V-Power since high school. Previous 2 cars only got the best (even though they would run on regular). Shell station about 10 mins from my house has a deal on weekends where mid-grade and V-Power are both $2.95/gal. Talk about a tough decision!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 AM

The people using regular are probably thinking the knock sensors will just tell the ecu to pull timing accordingly and it will never be a problem.lol
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 AM

if you guys are putting anything less than 91 , dont expect your car to run at full potential
Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
if you guys are putting anything less than 91 , dont expect your car to run at full potential
+1 just use the recomended fuel.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 AM

Only when you don't make the mistake of letting an idiot pump your gas haha
I know right? Be happy your in a state where you can pump your own gas!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM

I've always put what's recommended in all my cars. I don't see the point of all the debate.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 AM

instead of this and that, why not get the fact?

I had BMW, Accura 3.5TL Type S, Maxima as well as other models but I never have to put 93 all the time and all of my cars are in great condition after 150K miles and one of them have over 205K miles and still counting. If you put 93 and slam the throttle wide open every time you in the car or bring to the track, do you think it will last?

as for me, I listen to the engine and go by the engine sound...instead of recommend...

ever wonder how they get the octane 89 rating????

here some facts...
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut12.shtm
http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDo...ctaneFacts.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Last edited by airwolf09; 08-03-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
I've always put what's recommended in all my cars. I don't see the point of all the debate.
Well.....Nissan also recommends ester oil. Not too many owners comply.

Whereas the benefit of ester oil vs. dino is marginal, premium fuel in a vehicle that can use it, does good.

I pay about $0.20 per gal for 93 octane vs. 87. I never think about going lower.

Now the octane by ethanol route merits discussion. This corn-bred hydrocarbon will increase octane to the detriment of power. Ethanol being partially oxidized, has less energy producing covalent bonds to bust up to create energy. In my neck of the woods, I can't find a station that does not use ethanol. The situation gets worse in the winter time when more ethanol is blended in to create winter gas.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jlguru
How do you separate "performance" from "mpg" except in a laboratory? Seems to me the two are directly related and that if octane affects performance then it must also affect mpg. I seldom drive my cars under laboratory test conditions. I do know that when my car runs better, I tend to use less gas pedal to get where I'm going. That translates directly to better mpg.

BTW - My testing methods may be less than rigorous, but I'd bet on the math calcs

Live long, and prosper

Jerry
Your argument is the same one I used to make. That is until I began reading everything I came across on this subject, and then began carefully measuring my MPG over an extended period of time. Turns out that octane CAN AND DOES affect performance WITHOUT measurably affecting MPG. Just as the labratory studies showed, AND magazine and Consumer Reports driving tests showed.

This subject was under intense debate back in the 1970s, when gasoline advertising hinted that, among other things, premium helped fuel efficiency. The issue was rather well resolved by the 1980s. If you have paid attention to gasoline ads in recent decades, you will note that they boast of improved performance and a cleaner engine, but NOT improved MPG. That is because both the government and the energy companies know that is not true.

But if we think the energy companies are going to do anything to dispel urban myths that higher octane gives higher MPG, then our expectations for energy companies are way too high.

If the fuel setup in the car is not capable of running efficiently on a lower octane, then that might reduce the MPG. But 26 years of owning mothing but Maximas has showed me that Maximas run very well on midgrade, with no drop in MPG.

While many pre-7th gen Maximas could also run somewhat efficiently on regular, that is generally not true for the 7th gen. Several posters here had knocking and pinging when regular gas ended up in their tanks. Such sounds are a clear warning things are NOT right. This 7th gen runs well on octanes between 89 and 93, which makes sense, since Nissan told us this car was set up for 91 octane.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM

I have experimented with 87, 89 and 93. I truly believe what is recommended is the best for our cars. I get better performance with 93 as opposed to 87. For some reason, I don't believe in using mid range. It is either premium or regular. But I stick to Premium now as I enjoy my performance.

I don't know if some have experience this, but I have experienced that a full tank of regular gas gets used up faster than a full tank of premium gas. With normal driving.

Quick Reply: What fuel do you use in your MAXIMA?