7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Tube Left Over From OEM Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Plastic Tube Left Over From OEM Intake

Hey everyone so I posted on here a while while back when I took out my OEM intake about a black tube that was just left hanging there. Well my buddy decided to play with it today and it came off of the car and I was able to snap some pictures. Does anyone know what this could be and if I should put it back on with a filter on the end or something?

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about it.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:00 AM

neva new about that
Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Ya apparently a buddy of mine was looking around and thinks that it's a breather tube.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 AM

That is the "Sound Generator" that Nissan was talking about it added into the intake to pipe noises into the interior due to the CVT being so quite. It simulates gears shifting.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
That is the "Sound Generator" that Nissan was talking about it added into the intake to pipe noises into the interior due to the CVT being so quite. It simulates gears shifting.
Ok thank u for that information I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't anything important or that I should put on a filter end to keep it from pulling in dirt. Thank you again..
Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Ok thank u for that information I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't anything important or that I should put on a filter end to keep it from pulling in dirt. Thank you again..
You're welcome Bro.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 PM

After my intake install it seems very loud around 2K RPM and then quiets down till about 4.5K RPM. Is this normal? Its very annoying.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Now that sounds like a super cruel joke.!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Juggernaut23

I was surprised when this sound generator was described in Nissan's very first public presentation of the 7th gen Maxima (March 19, 2008). They said that having the driver unable to hear the engine took away from the sporty feel, so added this thingie so the driver would be able to hear the engine when accelerating.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:44 PM

Has anyone removed this from the stock intake to see if it really makes a difference?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 PM

It just may sound that way but it is totally true.

http://www.tirekick.com/TK07/09NissanMaxima.htm

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM

previous thread on this as well....
I want to know where the other end of that pipe goes...
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...r-details.html
Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 PM

I would assume any aftermarket intake would really up the volume of the motor then?
I am itching to get this RC2 intake and seeing what i can further improve on with the intake track in the TB.
Plus i want to see where the pipe leads to to see if the other end needs a capping off?i assume no one is making a true cold air induction intake for this car huh?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by emckissack
previous thread on this as well....
I want to know where the other end of that pipe goes...
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...r-details.html
I would assume any aftermarket intake would really up the volume of the motor then?
I am itching to get this RC2 intake and seeing what i can further improve on with the intake track in the TB.
Plus i want to see where the pipe leads to to see if the other end needs a capping off?i assume no one is making a true cold air induction intake for this car huh?
I'll see if I can get a camera behind there at some point if not tomorrow the day after. I have a pretty crazy schedule so I'll try my best but it is extremely tight fitting.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM

Great thread. I just had my intake out to install a Racingline Grounding Kit and was wondering what this tube was! It made me really curious that it didn't seem to connect to anything and that you can't blow air through it!

"Sound Generator" ... Too funny.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ekrunch
Great thread. I just had my intake out to install a Racingline Grounding Kit and was wondering what this tube was! It made me really curious that it didn't seem to connect to anything and that you can't blow air through it!

"Sound Generator" ... Too funny.
Well other car manufacturers call their similar items something different, I know that one of the Volkswagen Cars have a "sound generator" too because of the very same situation with the Maxima (it'd be too quiet without it).

I forget the exact car it is but if someone finds it then please post it, I read about it in one of the car mags (Motor Trend, Automobile, etc.).
Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM

Well other car manufacturers call their similar items something different, I know that one of the Volkswagen Cars have a "sound generator" too because of the very same situation with the Maxima (it'd be too quiet without it).

I forget the exact car it is but if someone finds it then please post it, I read about it in one of the car mags (Motor Trend, Automobile, etc.).
\

Mustang GT has one
Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 PM

OK guys check this out. I just, about a week ago, put in the K&N Typhoon intake. I thought it was a little loud (annoying) around 2K rpm. I did leave this plastic part in place when I switched intakes. I decided, after reading this thread, to investigate that little piece. It is true that it goes no where, but just ends about midway behind the engine. You can get your hand behind there if you go in through the left side of the back of the engine. So I decided to pull it out. Guess what...... the intake drone @ 2k rpm is much quieter now..... I am HAPPY.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by atlanta10
\

Mustang GT has one
I wouldn't have ever thought that Ford would do this to one of their Mustangs, it has to be the V6 model.

From what I've been reading about the Mustang lately is that its' exhaust sounds better than any of the others in its' class, not sure why it would need a sound generator if it already has a great sounding system
Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 PM

i took that pipe off and capped the intake hose it connects too now the car is super quiet at all rpms amazing what a little piece of plastic can do i like it better quiet for some reason sound should come from exhaust not the engine bay
Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by OneWhtMax
i took that pipe off and capped the intake hose it connects too now the car is super quiet at all rpms amazing what a little piece of plastic can do i like it better quiet for some reason sound should come from exhaust not the engine bay
What did you use to cap it?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 PM

How easy is this to remove? What did you guys cap the opening with? Any detriment to performance as far as you guys know?

Regarding the noise from a scale from 1 (silent) to 10 (stock) how does removing this pipe make the interior sound?

Protruding cabin noise has been one of my main issues with this car versus my previous car (2006 Cadillac STS4 V8).
If this assists in fixing it, I would be very happy!

Last edited by Ricko; 09-03-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 PM

i just used a fitting i had that fit in the hose goin to tb and used the clamp that was there to keep it from moving as far as performance i dont thing there is any but i havent driven enough to make a judgement as far as sound its about a 2 on the above scale
Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 PM

Removed mine also. It sure made a difference in the amount of engine noise in the cabin. Quick job, just remove the top of the air cleaner, and three hose clamps and the rubber section between the throttle body and the air cleaner can be removed. Remove the sound generator and plug the hole with a PVC plug and reinstall. Piece of cake.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

uhh

where can you find a decent CAI that is under 200??? is anyone willing to sell one and if so will you provide O clamps and whatnot?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Removed this from my car today as well. It took around 20 minutes if you follow the directions posted in this thread. Took clamps off and removed the tube. I blocked the opening using a freeze plug from Advanced Auto. They are basically a rubber plug that can expand when you tighten the nut attached to it. Used the clamp that was there to lock it in and done.

Noticed slightly less noise.Interesting when I hit full throttle, the car ran up to 7k RPMS for the first time ever. After that it ran in the usual range of 6300 rpms max...
Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 PM

This mod is great, it definitely stops the drone around 1.5-2K. I went to home depot and bought the 1.5" cap and 2" cap. I bought both since I was not sure what size the hole would be. The 1.5" works great and looks like factory. (Attached is 2" WRONG SIZE)

Old 02-08-2011, 03:07 AM

its been a couple days now since I removed this piece of trash. IMO, this is a worthless expense and piece of equipment Nissan added to the MAX. The car is a little quieter now and there is less drone when driving. I see no effect yet on power, mileage or anything. In fact, I wonder how a bypass in the airflow tube could be anything but a negative for power/mileage. It redirects some of the incoming airflow out a tube to create noise!

I am not against a great sounding car and think an aftermarket exhaust would be a much nicer way to create some perfromance sounds from our cars.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 AM

I just took mine out this morning. Like someone stated above you just have to loosen the 3 screws on the 3 clamps. One from the hose to the throttle body, one hose from the air cleaner and one smaller hose clamp in the front which is most likely an air sensor. I would recommend using a rachet instead of a screwdriver. The nut size is 5/16" on all three clamps. I went to Home Depot and bought a black rubber 1 and a half inch PVC cap that came with it's own clamp. I then cut off the stock clamp that held on the engine sound generator and fitted the new PVC cap, tightened the clamp and buttoned everything else back up. The car is really less raspy than it was before. Someone should tell the folks at Nissan that this piece makes it sound like something is broken in the engine.

I agree Atlanta, instead of this sound generator an aftermarket exhaust would probably be a better way to go and would probably give the car a few more ponies as well.

BTW, thanks to all above for the tips.

Last edited by Schneid; 02-12-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by baddeye
8mm? This is a Japanese car we're talking about here.
It very well could be 8 mm, but the 5/16th socket worked just fine.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the tips above guys, I just took mine out last weekend. The "sound generator" in in fact located at the bottom of the rubber tube that connects the throttle body to the air box. I went to Home Depot and replaced the sound generator connection with the half inch PCV cap and the car is in fact much more quieter when accelerating. You just have to jiggle the sond generator loose from the firewall and it it comes out pretty easily. It is literally a 5 minute fix. I agree with posters above, the sound generator sounds annoying,
Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Bump for new owners/members.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:01 PM

Bump
I stumbled across this when searching for intakes. Anyway this seems to help that "growl" our cars have. I love that sound so much but I prefer a quiet interior even more it just adds to the luxury. I think I will try this and see how it goes. As long as everyone can still hear the growl from the outside I'm happy
Old 03-08-2015, 09:16 AM

Definitely something good to know for new members on here!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:49 AM

That plastic appendage is an early rock flute prototype developed by Ian Anderson for use on the Aqualung album circa 1971.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM

So if I have removed this but not capped it have I not quelled the noise for the cabin then? I have put aftermarket intake on but not interested in the noise inside the car. I remember this thing coming out too but I didn't see where it was connected and also if it needs to be capped? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:12 PM

It needs to be capped, or you are sucking in unfiltered air to your engine.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 PM

So where exactly is that end to be capped if I took the plastic tube off? Any pics of this area?
Old 03-11-2015, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
So where exactly is that end to be capped if I took the plastic tube off? Any pics of this area?
The rubber boot coming off the throttle body on the back side is where the pipe is, remove and cap it. You'll actually get a cap that'll go inside the hole then tighten with the clamp
Old 03-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Or, a 1.5" PVC pipe cap that goes over the hole and clamps on.

Quick Reply: Plastic Tube Left Over From OEM Intake