7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

'09 SV Sport Audio System ... Rip and Replace!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 PM

^clean
Old 09-10-2010, 05:03 AM

So do you lose anything when taking out the stock head-unit? I mean is the keyless entry brain built into the head unit? Heater controls? Does the screen look weird? I have the S and it displays the volume and source, etc. Not sure if it's the same with the SV, but this is what has made me hesitant to replace the stock head unit. Also, losing the steering wheel volume controls would kind of suck.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by the_tags
So do you lose anything when taking out the stock head-unit? I mean is the keyless entry brain built into the head unit? Heater controls? Does the screen look weird? I have the S and it displays the volume and source, etc. Not sure if it's the same with the SV, but this is what has made me hesitant to replace the stock head unit. Also, losing the steering wheel volume controls would kind of suck.
My SV Sport is pretty much the same as what you're describing.

The orange screen is actually two screens, so the HVAC one stays active and the radio one does not. It's on but there's no text on it. I'm actually planning to relocate the HVAC screen down and put an aftermarket monitor up in that spot to watch DVDs. It's not horrible the way it is now though, you just have to get used to looking down at the radio instead of up at the screen. If you want to kill the display from the top screen completely, just unplug it. It doesn't hurt anything.

Steering wheel controls are easy, just grab a Metra ASWC. Very easy to integrate and it works fine. You can also use one of the adapters from PAC, but I like the Metra one better. (Easier install and it offers firmware upgrades if you ever needed it)

Bluetooth / XM support is lost so get a radio with Bluetooth and/or XM if you want to retain those services. My new head unit has a Bluetooth expansion option that I'm getting so I can keep Bluetooth. I could care less about XM so I'm not getting that option.

Everything else functions normally. The HVAC controls, keyless entry, etc are all separate from the radio.

Now, on the up side...

• The bluetooth in the Alpine is about 100x more capable than the Maxima's (non-tech/premium) stock setup. It pulls the address book, streams audio from A2DP/AVRCP phones, does voice dialing, etc. And it's firmware upgradeable so when new phones come out, you're not left behind.
  • The options for the Alpine are so much more plentiful. XM, Sirius, HD Radio, CD/DVD changers, iPod, Bluetooth, etc. I won't be using the HD Radio module I bought just because of the way I did my install. But that's because i'm hard headed and want things done a certain way. It's not really Alpine's fault.
  • Admit it. The stock system sounds like crap. I love my Maxima but Nissan has really disappointment me. In their flagship Sedan you think we'd get a little more love. Not a stereo that really belongs in the Altima.

Does this answer your questions? Feel free to ask more. I'm going through all of this stuff now so you're welcome to learn from my experiences.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by ekrunch
My SV Sport is pretty much the same as what you're describing.

The orange screen is actually two screens, so the HVAC one stays active and the radio one does not. It's on but there's no text on it. I'm actually planning to relocate the HVAC screen down and put an aftermarket monitor up in that spot to watch DVDs. It's not horrible the way it is now though, you just have to get used to looking down at the radio instead of up at the screen. If you want to kill the display from the top screen completely, just unplug it. It doesn't hurt anything.

Steering wheel controls are easy, just grab a Metra ASWC. Very easy to integrate and it works fine. You can also use one of the adapters from PAC, but I like the Metra one better. (Easier install and it offers firmware upgrades if you ever needed it)

Bluetooth / XM support is lost so get a radio with Bluetooth and/or XM if you want to retain those services. My new head unit has a Bluetooth expansion option that I'm getting so I can keep Bluetooth. I could care less about XM so I'm not getting that option.

Everything else functions normally. The HVAC controls, keyless entry, etc are all separate from the radio.

Now, on the up side...

• The bluetooth in the Alpine is about 100x more capable than the Maxima's (non-tech/premium) stock setup. It pulls the address book, streams audio from A2DP/AVRCP phones, does voice dialing, etc. And it's firmware upgradeable so when new phones come out, you're not left behind.
  • The options for the Alpine are so much more plentiful. XM, Sirius, HD Radio, CD/DVD changers, iPod, Bluetooth, etc. I won't be using the HD Radio module I bought just because of the way I did my install. But that's because i'm hard headed and want things done a certain way. It's not really Alpine's fault.
  • Admit it. The stock system sounds like crap. I love my Maxima but Nissan has really disappointment me. In their flagship Sedan you think we'd get a little more love. Not a stereo that really belongs in the Altima.

Does this answer your questions? Feel free to ask more. I'm going through all of this stuff now so you're welcome to learn from my experiences.
nice work so far. just wondering why u didnt go with a double din aftermarket radio. so you wont have the slot underneat the radio..
Old 09-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kmoney
nice work so far. just wondering why u didnt go with a double din aftermarket radio. so you wont have the slot underneat the radio..
I looked at Double DIN units from several manufacturers and there were a few that I liked, but they didn't really meet my requirements.

I wanted the best sound quality unit that Alpine produced. Right now that's the CDA-117. I like the modular approach as well so I can expand as I go.

I'm going to replace the top screen with a color LCD and DVD changer in the trunk. In order to do that, I needed a place to put the HVAC display, so it's going to go below the radio once I get the funding for the new display and DVD changer.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Another update. Radio harnesses are done and the radio is operational. Now it's time to wire up the trunk and then do the speakers. Getting closer!

Here's the radio harness

And the Metra ASWC steering wheel radio controls interface

Here's the radio installed and working. I haven't pushed the bottom panel in all the way tight just yet. I'm going to wait until I'm done with the installation to secure all of the panels and such.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:35 PM

very clean install, whered you get the single din adapter from?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by misterknee
very clean install, whered you get the single din adapter from?
It's a Metra kit. (link)

I bought it at Ray's Electronics in Addison, IL. That's where I get all of my gear from. As a matter of fact, I just got back with the last few components I need to start in on the trunk.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 AM

It did answer my questions, thanks. Gotta start saving some pennies now.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Looks like you're coming along quite nicely. I wanted to replace my stock h/u and put in my aftermarket navigation, but I like the clean look. I decided to go with a LOC from Audiocontrol called the "LC6i." I will pretty much use it to do everything that you are doing now, but I will retain the stock h/u.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 AM

Here's today's update...

I built a box! At first I wasn't happy with it because it wasn't absolutely perfect on every edge. Once I got it screwed together everything flushed up and it's fine now so i'm happy once again. I also got to do a test run in a friend's vehicle and I'm loving it so far!

Here's the trunk full of equipment and tools that are going to finish off this system. Heading out to get my box built!

The box is coming together. Back, bottom, and top cut.

Another shot of the box in progress

Adding in some glue to hold things in place after the angles are cut.

Starting to come together!

Screwing on the first side.

So far, so good.

The other side is going on now!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 AM

Test fit in the trunk.

Testing the t-nuts and bolt holes to make sure it all fits when the woofer is in place.

T-nuts in place and ready to be flushed up.

Speaker wire stapled down and caulked.

Sound deadening starting

More sound deadening

Dynaxorb in place!

And she's ready to go!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 AM

Great work man! What are you going to use to carpet the box?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by HOKUSMAX
Great work man! What are you going to use to carpet the box?
Thanks! I was a little leery of my craftsmanship at first but it seems to have worked out okay thanks to some help from a good friend of mine.

I'm actually not planning on covering the box at all. I'm going to build a panel that sits behind it and attaches to the box for mounting the amplifiers and capacitor on. As far as what I use to cover the amp rack, I can't decide whether I want vinyl or just a black carpet to match the current carpet.

If you're wondering about carpet for the front of the box, this is what you see when you put down the rear seat pass through. You can't see any wood, just a big honkin' Solo Baric logo!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Time for today's update. Back doors now have sound deadening in them. I was going to go ahead and mount my speakers back there, but they don't fit. Looks like i'm going to have to cut out some metal or fabricate some sort of riser.

On with the show!

I've got a surprise in store for this piece and my install kit tomorrow.
Relocate you ac controls to the Metra kit lower opening and you can solder or jump all the wires without waiting for kit.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM

If anybody is looking to build a box build similar to mine, here are the dimensions I used as a reference. This box fits with the carpet in, but you have to remove the Styrofoam pad from up front. It's useless anyway so ditch it and you'll have space for a bigger woofer.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of my final measurements and resulting airspace.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Good job so far. Only thing I see that is a bit weird, is the amount of screws you used to build the box. You definitely used more than what you need, if you have to ever build again, use half of the screws that you used. If you used a good wood glue (i.e. Titebond Ultimate), then you don't have to use anywhere near the amount of screws that you did. Nonetheless, keep it up.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by qbenjamin
Good job so far. Only thing I see that is a bit weird, is the amount of screws you used to build the box. You definitely used more than what you need, if you have to ever build again, use half of the screws that you used. If you used a good wood glue (i.e. Titebond Ultimate), then you don't have to use anywhere near the amount of screws that you did. Nonetheless, keep it up.
I did actually use Titebond Ultimate wood glue, but I just got a little carried away with the screws. I had a big box, so I went for it.

Thanks for the advice though. Hopefully I won't be doing this again for a long time to come.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM

Here's a few pics of the amp rack in progress. This will be attached once I get it covered.

And of course the test fit.

Time for some carpet!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

very nice install it will be nice to see the finished product, I am sure the sound will be great from this system.

How many hours do you figure that you will have into the completed install?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Grizz1968
very nice install it will be nice to see the finished product, I am sure the sound will be great from this system.

How many hours do you figure that you will have into the completed install?
Too many!

It's going to take me 12-14 days total, and I've really only worked an hour or two each day. Every few days I'll do a 3-4 hour burst if I'm feeling energetic. The box was the longest part of the install so far, and it took about 6 hours. I've honestly tried not to rush anything though, so i'm taking my time and not getting impatient. If I had to guess, i'd say this is going to take me 30-40 man hours to do. One thing to keep in mind though is that i've had to reassemble the car at the end of each work session. Normally I'd just strip the car of all panels, carpet, etc and do it all over a weekend. Doing it that way I would imagine I could do it in 16-20 hours.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Got the amp rack covered, mounted, and partially installed. Progress halted when I accidentally shoved a spinning drill bit into my finger. Needless to say I've had enough for the day! Here are the update pictures.

The amp rack needed to sit 1" off of the back of the box so I added some legs to the back of the box to hold the amp rack up and keep the distance right. The amp rack is secured to the legs with 5" hex bolts with washers up front and t-nuts on the back. That should hold it in place.

And of course, the test fit and equipment sizing.

Now it's time to mark the board and drill some holes.

And of course, carpet!

It's not a perfect match, but it will do. If you're not in direct sunlight, you can't really tell at all.

Time to start mounting equipment

Here's a shot of the t-nuts in place when the amp rack is attached and secured.

My Alpine PXA-H100 lives behind the amp rack on the side of the box
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 PM

And here's where I left off for today. I still need to get the HD750/1 but I went ahead and pre-drilled the holes and put the spacers and such in place so that it'll be easy to mount. I'm also going to pull the power/ground/remote/speaker/RCA for it but just leave the fuse until I get the new amp and it's mounted. This should make installing my sub amp a quick and easy process. *Fingers crossed*
Old 09-14-2010, 03:40 PM

nicely done so far. great work. m doing similar thing like you but a custom trunk lid with two 7" monitors and camera..
cant wait to see the final result and hear that system of urs...
Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kmoney
nicely done so far. great work. m doing similar thing like you but a custom trunk lid with two 7" monitors and camera..
cant wait to see the final result and hear that system of urs...
That sounds awesome. Make sure to post some pictures when you get your build going. I'm planning a "Phase 2" next year where i'm going to relocate the HVAC display to where the radio is, drop in an LCD in the upper location, and add a DVD changer. It's mostly just a lack of funding right now.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Very nice! Great write up.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 PM

In for updates btw.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Box look clean man....nicely done. ? 4 u, does the front doors have speakers or sub in them?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by gtmassive75
Box look clean man....nicely done. ? 4 u, does the front doors have speakers or sub in them?
Thanks! The fronts will have 6.5" midbass drivers from Hertz (HSK-165XL component set) Right now they'll cover midrange and midbass duties The 1.1" tweeter included with the set will cover the high end. The plan is to move to a 3-way front stage using kick panels later on, but I'm still working on getting the kick panels built.

That reminds me, I need to call Mike over at AMI and see what he's got to say.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:13 PM

I didn't have much time to work on things today, but I did take a half hour to go do some wiring. Now I just need another day where I have a few hours to work on it. (And I don't drive a drillbit through my finger! )

Wiring in progress. The amps and such need to be straightened a bit but that's easy to fix.

Here's a few shots with the amp rack in position.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Trunk work is done! Here's a few shots of the finished product. I even pre-wired the HD750/1 so when it gets here it'll be a quick install.

Full spare tire access.

And here's the door speaker install. Next up, the tweeters!

Dynaxorb pads were used behind each mid.

Wires are run and terminated!

Driver's side done!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 PM

This is the best DIY thread I have ever seen in my life. No really. You have truly outdone yourself here.

P.S. You better hope you don't have any rattles when everything is complete!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dauntlessmax
This is the best DIY thread I have ever seen in my life. No really. You have truly outdone yourself here.
Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Hopefully it will encourage other owners to get rid of that crappy Bose and go custom!

P.S. You better hope you don't have any rattles when everything is complete!
I gave it the first test tonight. So far so good on the rattles. Those Hertz midbass drivers really kick with that JL amp on them! I'll mount up the tweeters soon for the front doors then mount my rear speakers next week sometime. The bass amp is going to have to wait until next month due to funding, but i'm using the back channels of my HD600/4 to get a little bump while I wait.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 PM

Thx for the info....setup looking great...record the internal speakers and post a youtube link.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Hopefully it will encourage other owners to get rid of that crappy Bose and go custom!

I would NEVER go custom. The Bose system is more than adequate, and it's definitely not crappy. Of course a custom system is going to sound better...look at the extra money and crap you have to put into it. All the extra wiring and disassembly is stupid to me, but obviously it's the life blood for you.

I'm so happy I have matured past the "killer system" stage. All I need is the music to sound good for my listening pleasure. I could care less how much it booms for outside to hear.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maxim_ized
I would NEVER go custom. The Bose system is more than adequate, and it's definitely not crappy. Of course a custom system is going to sound better...look at the extra money and crap you have to put into it. All the extra wiring and disassembly is stupid to me, but obviously it's the life blood for you.

I'm so happy I have matured past the "killer system" stage. All I need is the music to sound good for my listening pleasure. I could care less how much it booms for outside to hear.
Wow, I don't think the intention of the thread is to force anyone who "has matured" to do it but does provide good information for someone who is very enthusiastic about the sound of their music. I too would never go this route but it's his money and time. Same thing could be said about lowered suspensions, custom lighting, etc. They are all adequate from the factory but are changed based on individual taste.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:51 PM

I was trying to ignore this and probably still should, but I can't really let this one go. At first I figured you were just doing the "increase my post count" ( move ) thing and then I saw you were almost at 50 so you've earned your right to post and shouldn't be doing that anymore. Then I searched your previous posts and saw you razzing people's opinions in other threads, so I decided to go ahead and jump in since you've decided to cause everyone else grief as well as me.

So, in response to your post ...

Originally Posted by Maxim_ized
I would NEVER go custom.
That's too bad.

The Bose system is more than adequate, and it's definitely not crappy.
That's your opinion, although most people on here seem to be adding subs, replacing head units, etc. That would indicate that it's not the common consensus. Either that or you're in a forum of enthusiasts who demand more from their vehicles. I guess not everyone has the trained ear to detect the difference between garbage and gold. I'm sure talk radio sounds great on the Bose though. Enjoy.

Of course a custom system is going to sound better...look at the extra money and crap you have to put into it.
Look at all of the extra money and crap you have put into <insert your expensive hobby here>.

All the extra wiring and disassembly is stupid to me, but obviously it's the life blood for you.
Life blood? As in what I do when I'm not a Sr Architect for a large software company servicing large enterprise customers? Or did you mean what I do when I'm not a Sr Engineer for the largest processor manufacturer in the world? Far from it. It's a hobby. Just that. A hobby. I love music and love building the systems that make it. Home, Car, Clubs, Stadiums, it doesn't matter. They're all challenging environments to make good sound in. Building them brings me enjoyment whenever I get to work in them. Life blood? Seriously? Wow.

I'm so happy I have matured past the "killer system" stage.
So am I!

All I need is the music to sound good for my listening pleasure. I could care less how much it booms for outside to hear.
You obviously didn't read this thread before you posted in that frantic newbie effort to increase your post count. This is very obviously a sound quality system. 1 12" woofer in a sealed box isn't going to rock the neighborhood. And you'll notice I blanketed the car with sound deadening material. Not only does that stop reflection from messing up my sound inside, but it also helps stop sound waves from escaping from the car. Thus when I'm rockin' out, you're not.

Now back off and go play somewhere else. I'm new here too but I'm not new to forums and I don't appreciate people like you who don't have anything good to say so they just berate people for no good reason. If you don't like what I'm doing, don't read the thread. The title of this thread indicates what I'm doing here, you should have just told yourself how stupid I was and not clicked the thread.

Okay, i'm done now. Have a great day!

To the rest of the people who would like to participate in this thread, please do. I enjoy comments and constructive criticism.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:54 PM

[/QUOTE]To the rest of the people who would like to participate in this thread, please do. I enjoy comments and constructive criticism.[/QUOTE]

I think you should have said something about his momma, but that's always my go to move, so maybe that's just me.

Also, ignore him, there are always these people in these threads "Nissan Sucks" (on the Nissan forum) or "Media Center Sucks" on the Green Button or "Really Hot Girls Suck" on the, oh, uh, never mind.....then go read something else! There is a vast internet for you to explore! I don't like men doing sheep, guess what? I don't go on the internet and visit www.mendoingsheep.com

Last edited by the_tags; 09-17-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM

"To the rest of the people who would like to participate in this thread, please do. I enjoy comments and constructive criticism"

ekrunch..Keep going dude...job is nicely done...I love music...lots of BOOOM BOOOM (well i guess that a NYC habit). I Respect your time and knowledge to post what you are doing...so sometime it's good to ignore...than to get aggravated. Keep the knowledge flowing.. Respect.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:02 PM

Tweeters are in place and playing! My front stage is finally complete. Sorry for the bad pictures. I had to borrow a friends garage due to rain and forgot my SLR.

Here's where I decided to mount my tweeters. There's plenty of room, and these panels are replaceable so if I decide to trade in the car in I can just get replacements. Definitely cheaper than buying a whole new door panel.

This is where I ran the wire through. I was also able to attach it behind the door to the factory wiring harness so it won't get caught on the window or anything like that.

And remember kids, tie wraps are cheap. Go for it! Electrical tape is also cheap and will prevent the noise of a tie wrap banging against the inside of the door panel.

Quick Reply: '09 SV Sport Audio System ... Rip and Replace!