7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Premium package snowboard rack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Premium package snowboard rack?

Whats up everyone,

I recently got into snowboarding and now I'm hooked on it lol. I was looking around for a snowboard rack that fits an 09+ maxima, but I'm a little hessitant being that I have the panaramic roof. I was wondering if anyone has any expereince with a setup like this on the max. I'm also a little hessitant because I'm assuming it wont look that great on the car, so I'd like something that can be removed if need be. If anyone has a similar setup like this on there cars, pics would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!!
Rocco
Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by logik05se
Whats up everyone,

I recently got into snowboarding and now I'm hooked on it lol. I was looking around for a snowboard rack that fits an 09+ maxima, but I'm a little hessitant being that I have the panaramic roof. I was wondering if anyone has any expereince with a setup like this on the max. I'm also a little hessitant because I'm assuming it wont look that great on the car, so I'd like something that can be removed if need be. If anyone has a similar setup like this on there cars, pics would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!!
Rocco
Hrm. I'll have to measure how wide my snowboard is when i get home. Maybe you can lay the middle down in the back and slide it in from the trunk?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mrodenberg0124
Hrm. I'll have to measure how wide my snowboard is when i get home. Maybe you can lay the middle down in the back and slide it in from the trunk?
Nah I doubt it brother, that pass through is pretty damn tiny.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM

Yeah you're probably right. I don't really recall how big it is. *shrugs* About the only thing i could think of is some sort of modified bike rack on the back of the car. Either that or some sort of custom made rack on the bottom of the car.... Or slap a stamp on the sucker and mail it to where you're going haha.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mrodenberg0124
Yeah you're probably right. I don't really recall how big it is. *shrugs* About the only thing i could think of is some sort of modified bike rack on the back of the car. Either that or some sort of custom made rack on the bottom of the car.... Or slap a stamp on the sucker and mail it to where you're going haha.
Lol @ the stamp.

Definitely a hidden caveat of the dual sunroof. Sorry to hear that bro.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:10 PM

I don't see an issue here... i mean as long as you don't open your moonroof it'll be fine to go with a thule rack. Go to thule.com, then on the US website click on fit guide and it'll give you what you need to fit your maxima.

It fits along the edges of the roof and there's plenty room for it to avoid contact with the weather stripping around the moonroof.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:48 PM

We're talking about the pana roof though. There is no edge of the sunroof with that.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM

I've had a snowboard in the trunk and through the rear passenger fold down. I do remember it barely fitting. I would measure to make sure though.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM

Off topic: check out camelback's website to purchase the triple pass ticket. It's $99 for three passes! Just don't go during the weekend because it gets crowded. the deadline for the online deal ends on the 23rd!

Call Panda Sport in bayridge brooklyn and find out how much it'll cost for the rack (if it's possible). They run anywhere from $300 - $500. If you want to fit the board on the rear seats, i suggest you buy a snowboard bag (if you don't have one already).

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 PM

does the premium package not have the option of the 60/40 split?

i got the 60/40 split with the S exactly for this reason(snowboarding!!!)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Llfe
does the premium package not have the option of the 60/40 split?

i got the 60/40 split with the S exactly for this reason(snowboarding!!!)
If you get the rear bucket seating, you lose out on the 60/40 split. I believe you can get leather package without rear bucket seating. Although, I'm not exactly sure but the rear bucket seating may come standard with the Premium Package.

Last edited by TintNinja; 12-22-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM

I spoke to a company today that sells racks, and there is a rack out there that fits. Thule doesnt make one that fits with the pana roof, its from yakima, I found this on Rack Attack if anyone is interested. The base is $300, then you have to buy the acctual rack which is either $160 for two snowboards or $210 to hold 4. I'll be buying this shortly, probably after the holidays, once its all installed I'll post some pics up for anyone whos interested.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM

I spoke to a company today that sells racks, and there is a rack out there that fits. Thule doesnt make one that fits with the pana roof, its from yakima, I found this on Rack Attack if anyone is interested. The base is $300, then you have to buy the acctual rack which is either $160 for two snowboards or $210 to hold 4. I'll be buying this shortly, probably after the holidays, once its all installed I'll post some pics up for anyone whos interested.
Nice find logik.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Logik - Could you post pictures of the rack on your Max?

I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 with the dual panel moonroof and want to see how the rack fits.

I've had various types of Yakima racks for biking and skiing, but have only found one or two pictures on the web of a Max with the panoramic roof with a rack on it.

Thanks - newbie
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 PM

bump for pics

After looking at the Yakima Q Clips for the 7th gen Max, am now actually considering other alternatives. Maybe even a hitch mount, but haven't found anything other than custom that is hidden behind the bumper.

The Q Clips on the 7th gen look like they will scrape the paint. Been there done that on the old Max.

Wish their were other alternatives.

Love the Max, but wish they came rack ready like some of the BMWs.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM

I went to Rack Attack...which one are you talkign about? They got a store near me perhaps i will swing by in the next coupel of weeks and consult with them
Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by TintNinja
If you get the rear bucket seating, you lose out on the 60/40 split. I believe you can get leather package without rear bucket seating. Although, I'm not exactly sure but the rear bucket seating may come standard with the Premium Package.
The rear bucket seats (and tiny passthrough to the trunk) are standard with either the Sport or Premium package, and there is no option to delete. The body frame across the car between the back seat and the trunk is a thicker, more solid piece of steel on the Sport and Premium cars, and there will be no way to pass a snowboard through.

This stronger body frame reduces torsional twist, which makes the double panel roof of the Premium package possible. That reduction in torsional twist also makes the ride more solid for the Sport package.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 PM

eesjunin - let us know what you find. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bump.

Anyone have any luck with installation?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Looking at using one of the etrailer.com's Nissan Maxima trailer hitches. Specifically the Curt trailer hitch, but probably won't get around to it until late fall or early spring. Working on a stereo replacement right now for my Land Cruiser.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not knowing if Yakima’s offering would work I took a $550 chance and recently bought a base rack and ski/snowboard system from eBay and Amazon:
  • Q Towers w/ locks
  • Q6 Clips
  • 48” Round Crossbars
  • FatCat 6 Ski and Snowboard Rack w/ locks
  • 44” Fairing
After a trip to my local resort on the weekend both my wallet and I are happy to report that the system does work. I did have to make some adjustments when I put the rack on for the first time because Yakima’s recommended tower spacing’s were too close together. The clips haven’t scratched my car (…yet). Yakima provides some thin adhesive rubber pads to mount to the clips where the clip meets the bodywork so there isn’t any scratching from metal-on-metal contact.

Because I’m an engineer that is cursed with inadvertently finding faults everywhere I go, I do have some complaints:
  1. Noise. Even with the fairing there was a considerable amount of wind noise heard in the cabin while doing highway speeds. I suspect this may be a result of the hard glass roof and thin fabric sunshade’s inability to attenuate noise as well as a regular roof’s construction with sheetmetal skin, insulation and headliner. It was slightly quieter with the sunshade closed than with it open but not by much. I did want to keep an eye on everything on my first highway trip to see what was going on up there while at speed. I work at an industrial/commercial HVAC manufacturer so I hope to get my hands on some different duct silencer insulation materials in the near future and put it in the cavity between the sunshade and glass roof to see how well it reduces the noise.
  2. This complaint is a minor one, but there isn’t very much clearance between the glass roof and snowboard/skis for the bindings. I say minor because the FatCat 6 rack comes with a stilt that raises only one side of the ski/board rack to give extra clearance for bindings. I haven’t tried this feature out to see how well it does or doesn’t work.
Despite these issues, I am satisfied with the Yakima system. It does what it is supposed to do. Although I'm a skier and can use the pass-through for my gear, I decided to buy a roof rack because I can mount it on another vehicle if I want (and buy new Q-Clips specific to that vehicle) and I also have the option to throw a cargo box or other rack on it if I want.

I hope to eventually compose a new thread with pictures, dimensions and a case-study on methods to reduce the sound, but first I must please the mod-gods with my 15 sacrificial posts! Shoot me your questions and I’ll try post some answers in the meantime.

Last edited by Numchuks; 01-01-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM

http://www.seasucker.com offers suction cup based racks. You can use a surfboard rack and fit the snowboard on there.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 PM

Hidden hitch and a ski/snowboard attachment...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM

Pics

Keep posting Numchuks and let's see some pics. Like to see what you put together and how it looks.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 AM

pics please as i am eager to invest too